RockShox Pike 454 2007 Forks

• Crown: Hollow, Forged 6061 T-6 Aluminum
  • Steerer Tube: Butted Aluminum

Submitted by tubulargnar a Cross Country Rider from berkshires

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    solid plush fork with thru axle

Bottom Line:
just as good as fox. get this fork if you find it used. They are super durable. I just changed the oil for the first time in 3 yrs, oops, and it still works great. Positive and negative air chambers, 140 mm travel.

Set the foodgate right and it's a nice platform with a threshold of your choosing. That way you don't have to worry about the lockout switch.

Favorite Trail:   veda

Purchased At:   berkshire bike and b

Similar Products Used:   vanilla, float

Submitted by shanedawg a Downhiller from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    1.maxle
2.stiffness
l3.ooks
4.easy adjust knobs on top crown
5.easy air pressure adjustments

Weaknesses:    1.rebound tuning is a little difficult as there are no clicks when using an allen wrench and I took off my red knob to prevent it from falling out and or getting broken off. If you turn the rebound a little bit you won't feel it in the garage but you will on the trail so keep that in mind.
2. fork makes a little knock noise while it bobs up and down on climbs unless it is either fully extended or fully shrunk down via the u-turn.
3. a-to-c feels a hair to high on the spot for me so I dial it down about 5-8mm. you lose some travel but the bike handles rolling terrain better IMO. This is a good reason to buy the u-turn version.
4. kinda heavy compared to other 140mm forks
5. expensive.

Bottom Line:
Nice fork. not perfect but pretty damn good. IMO rock shox stuff used to be crap but this fork is starting to change my mind. Come talk to me again in another year or two and we'll see if this thing lasts like my 5 year old fox talas or my 7 year old z2 atom

Favorite Trail:   braille trail, demo forest

Similar Products Used:   fox talas, marz z150, z1, z2, rock shox judy, x-fusion velvet

Bike Setup:   turner 5-spot 07, mid weight wheels, 90mm stem, e13 DRS, flat pedals

Submitted by singletraksam a Cross Country Rider from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    ROCKSHOX PIKE COIL U TURN 454: Plush, adjustable, predictable- hassle free. I am an aggressive veteran rider that demands performance and durability. I appreciate the balance that this product offers in both areas.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great fork for the money!

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Psylo Race

Bike Setup:   XC: Marin, Easton, Mavic, Race Face, SRAM

Submitted by Surlybikes13 a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Long travel, Adjustable rebound/compression, through axel, air spring

Weaknesses:    none-travel not adjustable

Bottom Line:
Buy this fork- you won't regret it. However you should get the 454 u-turn. There has been a bunch of times when it would be nice to crank the travel down to 100mmm. This a perfect all mountain/light freride fork.

Favorite Trail:   Devils Backbone

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi z1, Manitou sherman, Marzochi drop off

Bike Setup:   2008 Spank Puff Hayes 9, Race Face cranks, Halo Tornado wheelset, Deity bars

Submitted by MadMouse a Weekend Warrior from Kuching,sarawak,Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2008

Strengths:    Light, Enough Travel for most of the trail, easy setup especially the damping less than a full turn. Give me smooth ride ^_^

Weaknesses:    there is a unknow "thing" at the bottom of the steer tube which can take it off... I get use to use the UFO (a DH acc. that to tide up the bottom and the hander stem) I can use it at this fork.

Bottom Line:
I like this fork so far ..... love it ...... but why ROCK SHOX web side doesn't provide any way that we can write an email to ask them some question ??? And if any one who know how to take off the "thing" at the bottom of the steer tube ..... please tell me .....

Favorite Trail:   Indian Temple mountain

Purchased At:   Thong Sen Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Spinner Ammo, DNM

Bike Setup:   Versus Blitz, Pike 454 (2007), Sram x.9 group set, bb5 brake

Submitted by Alex from UK

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    Maxle is simple and reliable
Stiff in all direction
Fits a fat tyre with plenty of room for UK mud on top
Motion control damping
Travel adjust

Weaknesses:    Spikes on unexpected fast hits (i.e. a big sharp lump in an otherwise smooth trail while going fast). Fine when damping circuit is already moving.
Loses a small amount of travel when set up for how I like to ride (plush).
Travel adjust needs too many turns to change anything.

Bottom Line:
Good, solid trail fork. Total fit and forget. Would happily buy another if need be if they didn't cost so much these days.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float 32 and Vanilla 32
RS Revelation

Bike Setup:   2006 Heckler

Submitted by Hula a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2008

Strengths:    Maxle is amazing, the damping system is fabulous and simple too. The paint is holding up well and so far no problems with anything falling off. U-Turn is wonderful and this fork has been the most reliable yet in my stable. Tracks really well through the rough stuff and corners like a nascar on the oval.

Weaknesses:    Not enough fun colors!!

Bottom Line:
When set up correctly and I mean correctly the fork and rear suspension work in harmony with one another so people don't be lazy spend the time to set it up the right way. My co-riders all complain that their forks don't work well or the shocks don't ride well. Bahh!! When I get out the sag chart and my pump to set it the right way they say (dude!! how'd you do that!) Duh..............I say. C'mon guys the girls know how to set their steeds up so don't embarass us anymore. Thanks Rock Shox!!

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   friend in business

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talas RC 36, Float 36 RC.

Bike Setup:   Foes FXR 07(L)black with Curnutt Air shock; Hope hubs laced to Mavic Dee Max rims(rebuild), Gammut chain guide, Sram x.o gearing(07), Hope M4 7" brakes(front and rear), Race Face Diabolus 70mm stem(black), Easton EA70 high rise bar, odi grips, Shimano Saint crankset(double), Kenda small block 8(2.3 on rear) and Nevegal 2.3 on the front, Chris king headset(pink) and the Hope hubs are black!!

Submitted by Red a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight,long travel, great control over technical, roots and rocks,love the u-turn setup,and 20mm Maxle, good park/street/dirt fork(all in One).

Weaknesses:    Dust and mud behind the arch hard to be clean(just like other fork),not good in extreme weather, rebound knob loose after crash, dust entering u-turn knob, others is good.

Bottom Line:
RS Pike 454 is the best I have(hard to get a good/value fork for money in my country). My first preception about the aluminium steerer is negative, but after a month it prooved me wrong, the U-turn travel is awesome and helpfull. The Maxle is great and easy to use. Hope to see a fork that can handle rainy/wet/extreme weather here, hope to see it from RockShox. The world is not flat, so do the weather. (MUST BUY PRODUCT FROM ROCKSHOX)

Similar Products Used:   SR suntour XCR,SR suntour Epicon, RockShox Judy.

Bike Setup:   Tank Ds.1 Frame, RS Pike454coil, SS 22-14, Shimano Deore Crank, MRP bashguard, Hayes HFX 9DH, Avids 180mm Rotor, Syncros DS28 wheels, Panaracer Rampage2.35,Syncros and Azonic Cocpit, Chris King Headset.

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from HI

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2008

Strengths:    STIFF! Keeps the wheel connected to the ground. The Maxle is awesome!

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork! I have the coil version and weigh 205 w/o gear. I had to upgrade to the X-Firm spring. Once I did that, the fork came to life. It tracks the ground extremely well and has that nice plushness you get from a coil. The Maxle can't be beat for a thru axle design. I can get my front wheel off quicker than my buds with QRs.

Run, don't walk and go buy one!!

Favorite Trail:   I don't play favorites, they're all great!

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute, Zoke Bomber

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL!

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from State College, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2008

Strengths:    Very Plush, Good range of adjustment. No tools needed to remove wheel or make adjustments. Very stiff and confidence inspiring due to 20 mm axle and 32 mm stantions. By making the steerer tube aluminum, they save precious weight and fork is light for what it does. Best RS I've ever ridden.

Weaknesses:    Honestly, I am usually very critical, but this fork...as yet...has no flaws to speak of. I have steered away from Rockshox in the past b/c of a bad experience with Judy's, but these F'ing Rock so far!

Bottom Line:
I ride mostly urban/street during the week and weekends when I can, with a long ride through the mountains every few weeks. I have been looking for a fork that can accommodate both of these styles...and I finally found it. My criteria when searching for a fork were 32 mm stantions, 20 mm axle, reasonably light, and adjustable rebound and compression. The ability to change amount of travel was a bonus, but really worth it I feel now. I went with the coil version b/c I thought maintanance would be easier.

First off it is plush in both 140mm and 95mm positions, and all in between. The rebound really ramps up at the end of the travel, and I have yet to bottom it out on the stock springs. I have heard through many reviews disappointment that they are too soft. I am 5'7" and 150 lbs, and it feels perfect for me. I have taken 5 foot drops off loading docks onto concrete in the 95 mm position, and no bottoming. With the bike in this lowered position, manuals, hops, and pretty much everything becomes easier.

When going XC, I usually set it at full travel. The fork works like a dream! Rebound is adjustable on the bottom of fork leg. The flood gate and compression adjustments work together to control rate of compression. If you know trail conditions before hand, you can fine tune the fork very nicely. Lock out is only good for long road rides.

Great Job on this one RockShox! I highly recommend this product to moderately serious xc riders to light freeriders and trials folks. Very versatile ride.

Favorite Trail:   (If I had to choose) Beautiful Trail, Rothrock State Forest

Purchased At:   From local guy, was ridden 10 times previously

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy, Manitou Minute 2 (130mm), Fox RLS (100mm), Marzocchi MX Comp (105mm), Marzocchi DJ 2 Long Travel (150mm)

Bike Setup:   2007 Giant STP (Lenosky Signature) Frame, RS Pike Coil, 9 spd gearing, Truvativ/Shimano components. Avid Mechanical Disk Brakes, 2.2 Trail Bear Tires, FSA Integrated Headest

Submitted by Kg from corvallis oregon

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    plush and stiff, reasonably priced

Weaknesses:    Travel adjust kind of a hassle - I think it took 8 full rotations to go from 95-140mm. Weight.

Bottom Line:
Super plush, super stiff and very adjustable fork. However I think its overkill for an average weight trail rider. If your a big'un or if you really punish your equipment this would be a great piece of kit.

Purchased At:   fullcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   130mm Marzo Z1 (through axle), 140mm Fox talas, 130 Manitou minute coil

Bike Setup:   Pike 454 coil was on a 6" travel all mountain frame

Submitted by toby a Cross Country Rider from stirling

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Strengths:    steering response, stiffness and low weight

Bottom Line:
lovin'em! to be fair i don't really pound them to thier limit but they are super good for all that i do! the u-turn is great and the bolt thru hub is super responsive.

Favorite Trail:   innerleithen

Similar Products Used:   marzochi drop off 4

Bike Setup:   gary fisher GED built as light as possible for aggressive cross country riding. bontrager rythem elite wheels, sram x9 transmission, bontrager carbon bars and sat post, hayes 9 brakes and xt chainset with bash guard.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Or

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    20mm hub, stiff, U-Turn

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 454 coil. The 20mm hub is what I wanted the fork for. The fork is stiff and takes you where you point it. The U-Turn is a nice add but I run mine at 140 most of the time. I wanted to put ths fork to the test so it's maiden voyage was at Whistler. I found that I was able to get all of the desired travel and it asked for more. At speed I noticed that the fork felt like it was locking out, this may be due to how I had the return set. Over all it was able to take Whistler with no issues. I enjoyed the 5" bike but I did get rattled a bit. On the fast groomed run "easy does it" the pike just ate it up. I was able to out ride other riders on bigger 8" bikes. I think that the Pike had a big play in this. On the rocky sections the Pike kept the bike in line and rolled over most of the section without problems. whistler can be hard on parts, a couple of dings and scratches, nothing to worry about.

Over all a great buy. I have also rode the 426 coil. Great buy if the 454 is too much $$$, they are identical except for Stear tube and crown, another great buy.

Similar Products Used:   Various Zokes, RS

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Newtown

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2007

Strengths:    Maxle, platform damping and weight

Weaknesses:    Lockout dial is too light

Bottom Line:
Lovely buttery travel and light weight. It feels stiff and inspires confidence.
On tight single track, the lockout dial keeps getting pushed around by brush and locking out the fork. This is due to the lockout dial being much too light to rotate. The pop-lock would cure this but seems it a real design problem.

Purchased At:   eBay