RockShox Dart 3 2007 Forks

• Crown: Forged, Pocketed 6061 T-6 Aluminum
  • Steerer Tube: Steel

Submitted by dave.biker a Racer from Mozambique

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2011

Strengths:    I could get it on short notice

Weaknesses:    Durrability (lack of it)

Bottom Line:
I've riddden the Dart 3 for 1.5 years after a long love affair with a Judy Air. The Dart is not a smooth fork. It has always been sticky and it creates a small bit of a ratteling sound. Finally, just last week the thing has started to squeek loudly and stick annoyingly. I'm heading back to the States soon and will deffinitly look into replacing this (one of Rock Shox's lower quality products).

Purchased At:   Swaziland

Similar Products Used:   Judy Air- Loved it

Submitted by you just got passed by a kid a Racer from bloomington mn

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2010

Strengths:    its cheap

Weaknesses:    every thing about it

Bottom Line:
THIS IS THE WORST FORK EVR IF YOU GAVE THIS A GOOD REVEIW YOU HAVE NEVER USED A FOX!!!! get a fox if your a real rider!!

Favorite Trail:   lebanon hills

Purchased At:   penn cycle

Bike Setup:   gary fisher mamba 29er juicy ultimates, monkey light carbon handle bar, fox talas, xtr cranks, xtr shifters.

Submitted by Sushiba a Racer from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2010

Strengths:    Cheapish

Weaknesses:    Lockout got pumped out in extreme breaking jsut before the drunk driver... caused me catapulted 2 meters high and 5-10 meters away... Crippled my collar bone and shreded my arm on asphalt... unrepairable because of plastic thread on lockout. Impossible to get spare parts. Wasn't covered by warranty, because the shop sold the bike with this fork got odd rules :(

Bottom Line:
Will never deal with Sram by any means, gonna buy marzocchi next season... so long...

Bike Setup:   stock Cube Acid + Schwalbe Big Apple

Submitted by Daemongrad a Weekend Warrior from Brockville, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Strengths:    adjustable preload and rebound, remote lockout, fair travel.

Weaknesses:    a lot of bad reviews... but none with mine in particular.

Bottom Line:
I don't ride much throughout the week with work and all but on weekends I DEFINITELY put my bike through things that others tell me I shouldn't, despite the bad reviews others have had, I like this fork. It handles well on climbs and, with the lockout being remote, it is an easy transition from off to on and back. It also handles drops nicely, I do 3-6 foot drops regularly... not huge mind you, but it's what there is around here.... oh, it does feel sluggish for a second or so after you pop the lockout off again, but I don't find it to be a hinderance personally.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Mountain Way

Similar Products Used:   Tora

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Avenger frame '05/06, ODI Yeti Extreme grips, Avid levers, alivio 24 spd shifter, acera rear derailleur, WTB Dual Duty XC 23mm rims, Shimano Parallax rear hub, Shimano HG 11-30t cassette,

Submitted by SJSharks2010 a Weekend Warrior from Sudbury, Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    Very Stable, Good Bounce, Couldn't ask for anything better for that price range.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I absolutley love this product.

Purchased At:   Came With Bike

Bike Setup:   Iron HOrse FR 10

Submitted by JOe Brown a Cross Country Rider from Rochester

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2010

Strengths:    Looks rebound and preload

Weaknesses:    Lockout, stiction

Bottom Line:
After having this fork for about a year I was really sick of all the stiction. I brought it to the LBS and he took the spring out and there was no grease of the spring. He greased it up and then it ran quite a bit smoother. Its a little concern that they would forget to grease something at the factory.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   Honest Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   rock Shox judy t2

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher aquila almost all stock parts

Submitted by SnoqualmieSD a Cross Country Rider from Snoqualmie, Wa. USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Strengths:    120mm travel, Product name, adjustable settings, parts availability, upgradeable, well built. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    subject to being tortured (previous owner used it for free riding, he was lighter than I though). light weight.

Bottom Line:
this is a cross county trail bike fork. I ride with a fifty pound backpack and I weight 190 lbs. fully loaded pushing 250, and the 120mm travel works very well under a load. I haven't used all of the suspension, but what I have used works very well. The controls respond accordingly, I haven't had much use for the lock out (make sure the lock out is disengaged when not needed). I can't think of any other suspension I would trust to ride on. The only thing I can think of is wider diameter tubes, but that's more money. No seal problems, they work great.If you want a fork for light loads, or for heavy loads, it'll handle it (for trail or cross country).

Favorite Trail:   Iron Horse/John Wayne Trail

Purchased At:   Used/near new

Similar Products Used:   Judy 100mm

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom DS Trial

Submitted by rfc_jamiegavin_rfc a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    cheapish

Weaknesses:    although it says 100mm they only travel about 30mm. freeze up in cold weather. lockout doesnt make much difference. make a strange noise when you bounce them.

Bottom Line:
pretty useless and dont deserve the name rockshox. Toras cost about £50 more but are worth it

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Similar Products Used:   roxkshox tora (amazing)

Bike Setup:   kona cinder cone

Submitted by Randy a Weekend Warrior from Bakersfield, California, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Looks nice and works well when it is not broken.

Weaknesses:    It started leaking oil the day I bought the bike. Broke all the way after two months.

Bottom Line:
This product comes no where close to living up to its name. RockShox needs to stay on top of the quality control issues with this fork. My fork was supposed to be one of the improved one's. So much for that.....

Favorite Trail:   Sand Canyon

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet

Similar Products Used:   FOX and RockShox Tora

Bike Setup:   Stock 08 Diamond Back Overdive.

Submitted by mahshroom a Weekend Warrior from Evergreen State

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2009

Strengths:    It looks functional and has adjustable knobs (compression, rebound, and remote lockout). Rebound and lockout works.

Weaknesses:    Large amount of stiction. Compression adjustment makes little difference. The fork has large amount of stiction and it greatly reduces its ability to compress and rebound. The seal is of poor quality.

Bottom Line:
You can get a much more smooth and light air fork for ~$250 on ebay. I have a Manitou Black I bought for $200 on ebay and it performs 10x better than Dart 3 (Sure the Manitou had some quality control issues in the past but ones that was not defective performed very well).

If you are even slightly serious about mountain biking save up and buy a real fork. I'd not use it even if it was free.

Favorite Trail:   Any that flows

Purchased At:   Came with Kona Cinde

Bike Setup:   Stock Kona Cindercone

Submitted by farid0204 a Cross Country Rider from iran

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    just i can say the damper looks good

Weaknesses:    not smooth.the loch out does not work corectly.

Bottom Line:
I do not recomand this.for the money suntour forks are better.ROCK SHOK has a lot of good forks but not at this price.

Similar Products Used:   sr suntour xcm

Bike Setup:   merida TFS550 factory setup

Submitted by Leo Main a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2009

Strengths:    remote poplock, good price,

Weaknesses:    become stiff below about 10 degrees C.

Bottom Line:
good suspension, good price, perfect for me (I only ride it at the weekends on local trails - I use a race bike in the week), poplock is brilliant, bit rubbish that the oil stiffens up in the cold - tempted to get some synthetic oil for it. other than that, perfect XC fork for basic riding. I love it, but I'm going to keep a keen eye out for that oil leek problem, sounds like a pain.
I would definately recommend this fork for basic guys like me, but if you want to get serious, you're gonna have to pay for it!!!

Favorite Trail:   The whole of England, every last mile

Purchased At:   www.merlincycles.co.

Similar Products Used:   the only suspension i had before came with my bike, it was an InSync Grind 326, rubbish pogo-stick which - by the time i replaced it - had siezed solid.

Bike Setup:   Motive Ground Pounder (rubbish name), but with new disc and various other bits.

Submitted by svmike a Weekend Warrior from houston, tx

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2009

Strengths:    Low price. Feels better than the Dart 1(pogo stick).

Weaknesses:
1. Lockout broke within two days having the fork installed. Didn't even use it on the trails yet. Went on the trails anyways and it became worse. Lots of bad noises and it started sticking. Covered by warranty and was sent a new fork upgraded w/ poploc.
2. After two weeks, oil started to leak from the rebound adjuster. Never bothered to fix it and after a year it is finally starting to run low on oil.
3. Sensitive rebound adjustment. A hair this way and the fork becomes a pogo stick. A hair the other way and the fork rebounds at a snails pace. Once it's set, just let it be.
4. Preload adjuster requires the use of pliers as it cannot be turned by hand as intended. Again, once I had it set I let it be.
5. Becomes pretty stiff on cooler days 60F and below.

Bottom Line:
Get what you pay for. Looking past the broken lockout and leaking oil, I have to say that the fork did perform well for the price. I am going to take it in to have the oil leak taken care of and then keep it as a spare. As for customer support, I didn't have any problems with warranty as JensonUSA and Rock Shox took good care of me when the lockout broke.

Unless you are in a pinch and really need a fork, just save up to buy something nicer. Maybe a Recon 351 or something with motion control.

Favorite Trail:   terry hershey park