RockShox Dart 2 2007 Forks

• Steerer Tube: Steel
  • Upper Tubes: 28mm 4130 Steel

Submitted by FrankieMTB

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    I'm a 190lb rider and the lockout has worked flawlessly for me. Fork has taken a beating and keeps on going. Great fork for a beginner that's new to the game of MTBing. It's cheap!

Weaknesses:    Weight. Can't figure out if I feel a difference changing the preload.

Bottom Line:
If you're new to MTBing, this fork is a great entry point. I have no complaints about mine at all. I've ridden on it for close to 2 years, haven't had a problem yet other than I've outgrown it. I've put in over 1500 miles on it, small jumps, drop offs of a couple feet, downhill at 30mph, it's surprised me a few times when I had an "oh sh*t" moment and it soaked up the hit. It's definitely not top of the line, but if you're on a budget, do mostly XC with DH to get back to your car, it's a great start.

Submitted by Alastair a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    I am 220 pounds... I have flogged the nuts off my bike and the forks are still going strong. I really can't see the difference in quality between these and more expensive forks. If you want your bike to be 2 pounds lighter, just lose 2 pounds fatty, its takes a week max.

Bottom Line:
Great fork, well designed and from someone who knows a fair bit about metal strength, stress points etc, these are actually not a bad fork apart from being a single crown design. I believe they have magnesium lowers.

Submitted by UBUgoat a Cross Country Rider from media, pa

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2011

Strengths:    bombproof, no issues beyond its limitation, everything 'works'

Weaknesses:    heavy (but it doesn't feel heavy...must be Giant's spot on geometry); came with the firm spring (useless for a lightweight like me, esp. in winter)

Bottom Line:
after finally realizing i just need to upgrade to air (marzocchi 44 rlo is the possible replacement), i'll keep this for my old hardtail...finally slapped a 'soft' coil in in it for $12 from Bike Stop ($20 shipped) and, as the weather warms up, noticed a little more suppleness. of course, at 143 pound racing weight, i just don't make this fork work to its obvious maximal ability. i have yet to have the problem others talk about (lock out not working? heck, i have no need for it anyways!).

as a 'cross racer finally coming back to my mtb roots and finally racing xc, i've done fine in the first 3 races with this fork. but it did rattle me up when i hit fast rock gardens with my new team mates in the PA mountains!

Favorite Trail:   mt. penn, french creek, brandywine, middle run

Purchased At:   CycleSport

Similar Products Used:   RST fork on a Trek Navigator 200

Bike Setup:   Giant YFX, Syncros all-mountain Gain bars, WTB Wolverine (front), Vredestein Black Panther (rear), Nashbar TR2 (time trial) saddle, Nashbar 90mm stem...the rest is stock (so far)

Submitted by thesparton101 a Cross Country Rider from Australia, NSW

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2011

Strengths:    good all round suspension

Weaknesses:    more that 50% of them leak oil due to bad seals (but warranty covers it and it gets sent back to SCRAM and gets fixed and new better seals put in)

Bottom Line:
is still a good suspension either way coz if it does leak it will get fixed by warranty.

Favorite Trail:   dirt jumps, four cross, awaba, orimbah, stromlo

Purchased At:   breakaway cycles

Similar Products Used:   bomber

Bike Setup:   scott aspect 20

Submitted by kevin.hagen@hotmail.com a Cross Country Rider from NSW

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2010

Strengths:    Works well nice and smooth

Weaknesses:    leaks oil occasionally

Bottom Line:
it still works good but lockout is not working and leaks occasionally

Favorite Trail:   mount faulk

Purchased At:   Breakaway cycles

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   Scott aspect 20

Submitted by Alastair78 a Weekend Warrior from Perth Western Australia

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2010

Strengths:    Great travel even with 95kg rider

Weaknesses:    Only 28mm sanctions

Bottom Line:
These came on my second hand 2008 Giant Alias. When I got it they seemed jerky and not very smooth. I pulled them apart and decided they seem relatively well made, greased up the oil seals and put it back together. Works perfectly now.

I must say that although I have only ridden them for a few weeks, they seem fine for what I do and I ride pretty hard but only hop curbs & 6 inch jumps. I'm 95kg also (200 lbs)

If you think these are not strong enough, put it this way... they are stronger than my old forks on my 1994 Giant Yukon which I thrashed for 15 years & they took every beating I gave them (stairs & 2 foot+ jumps) and they were only cheap RTS forks & only has 25mm sanctions. I also used to be 120kg when I rode that bike.

I really think people underestimate the strength of steel products. I can imagine they would be much stronger than some higher end aluminum forks simply because of the material its constructed of.

Will let you know if I fall off because of them.

Favorite Trail:   street

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Old RST 381 AET

Bike Setup:   Giant Alias 2008

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from IL

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    Lockout, looks cool in black

Weaknesses:    low end product, it's cheap and it shows, adjustments have minimal effect, no brake cable guide, and HEAVY!

Bottom Line:
When I started mountian biking about a year and half ago I thought the Dart 2 was great. After improving my skills and riding some bikes with better forks it short comings are obvious. At this point the fork is definetly the weak link on my bike, entry level quality and heavy. I'm looking to upgrade to a Fox F-series for more traction, better handling, and cut 2 lbs of weight off my bike.

Similar Products Used:   Nothing that I've owned, just ridden other people's bikes

Bike Setup:   -2009 Gary Fisher Marlin- EA90 stem, EA70 post, MonkeyLite XC bars, X9 trigger shifters, X9 rear derailleur, X0 cassette, Hope X2 brakes, Deore front derailleur, Deore XT crank, Mavic Crossmax ST wheels, Nevegal/Small Block 8 UST tires, SPD setup, Forte T1 saddle..... and stock front Dart 2 fork.

Submitted by Callum2290 a Cross Country Rider from EAst sussex

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    lock out is a helpful addition, very cheap

Weaknesses:    weighgt(for the amout of travel)
peload doesnt really change much can not handle any thing more then very mild xc riding

Bottom Line:
a decent XC fork for the price,it definatly doesnt come recomended.

Favorite Trail:   the firston forest

Purchased At:   Chian reaction cylcl

Similar Products Used:   RS tora,RS dart 3

Bike Setup:   kona blast duluxe 09, slx cranks, shifters and derailer,ODI yeti grips,DMR v8 pedals, easton monkey barsrace face atals am stem, hope ajust seat clamp

Submitted by hihi a Weekend Warrior from saskatoon sk canada

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    everthing

Bottom Line:
great shocks

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   came on bike frombik

Bike Setup:   norco kokanee

Submitted by olimp a Weekend Warrior from Ogre

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2009

Strengths:    none.

Weaknesses:    I just chrashed my Dart 2 fork. How is it possible? it just break in half. I like tricks. I ride a bit on my rear wheel and then when landing it crushed. I am 82 Kg. it is not so much.

this fork sucks ass! for real. now I do not know if I will get a free raplacement or not???

Favorite Trail:   Riga

Purchased At:   Riga

Submitted by Vuco a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap but when tuned and serviced proper, it gives a lot for what it's worth.

Weaknesses:    Preload adjustment does nothing. When you open your fork you can see why it does nothing - it just presses your spring for about an inch.
It's not stiff, and it's heavy (2,5kg)

Bottom Line:
When I got the bike, the fork didn't work good. The travel was not full (instead 100mm, I got ~65mm), it wasn't plush but lockout and rebound adjustment worked =).
Then I serviced the fork by myself (cause it's nothing complicated, simple mechanics), and when I put some motor 15W oil in the left lowers (spring leg; the manual says there should be ~20mL of oil, but mine fork was dry) the fork immediately became plush and it worked 40-50% (in my subjective opinion) better.

Then, during one of my rides I bumped the fork very hard and it leaked oil under the turnkey. So, before I opened the damping side, some oil leaked and I got the full travel :). So, RS made a mistake and put too many oil inside the damping leg. I cleaned everything and got 150mL of 5W oil in the damping leg and now the fork works awesome (for a low end fork that is) - got the full travel, not bottoming out, lockout and rebound works.

You just need a manual and a spare part PDF file (so you can see the components inside the fork), some tool and after 1h of work on the Dart, you get a great working (plush and full travel with lockout for climbing) fork for cheap.

CONCLUSION:
Put some oil (fork oil) in the left lower (20mL 15W), and if you don't have full travel, check the oil in your right leg (150mL 5W of fork oil) - after that, you will be surprised how well Dart works ;)

Favorite Trail:   Medvednica

Similar Products Used:   RS SID, Reba, Revelation, Tora for a short period.

Bike Setup:   Genesis Impact frame, Juicy 3 (160mm rotor F/R), Mavic wheels, Deore/XT equipment

Submitted by pagett a Weekend Warrior from London UK

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    Lockout is great on road (When it works)

Weaknesses:    Fork lockout failed within 8 months of very light use (Travelling to and From Work... No Trails), forunately was witin warranty however replacement estimated to take almost 2 months from manufacturer.

Bottom Line:
For a recommended beginner-mid fork very dissappointing. I expected more from a light use only.

Favorite Trail:   None

Purchased At:   Evan's Cycles

Bike Setup:   Standard setup Pinnacle Peak 3.0

Submitted by crustynikstar a Weekend Warrior from !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2009

Strengths:    lock out, rebound, crappy preloade dosent even work.

Weaknesses:    when i first bought my bike i took it for a hard ride. i was going down hill and hit about three jumps. when i came home i saw when i turned the lockout oil started pissing out. also the preload dosnt work. when i fixxed the leaking problem i took it for jumps it was cold weather the forks were so stiff that when i lannded i almost broke my wrist

Bottom Line:
yes they good fork for lite trails but when it comes to jumps dont buy them. i swithched to rock shox pike these are awsome.

Favorite Trail:   cant choose

Purchased At:   gold cross

Similar Products Used:   sr suntuor

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by STABrider a Weekend Warrior from Highlands Ranch, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Plush (used it on my XC bike when I had it)
Looks

Weaknesses:    Travel, nearly bottemed it out on a trail off a jump

Bottom Line:
Great price for the fork, but it could use at least 100mm of travel, not 80mm, I think that only XC riders who don't go off jumps should buy this fork

Favorite Trail:   every one

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   noe with this much travel

Bike Setup:   Stock Sette' excemt the fork

Submitted by edjski a Cross Country Rider from Nashville, TN USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Bottom Line:
I'm 37 years old, 170lbs and am not going to spend $500 on a fork. I ride trails and am somewhat aggressive so I want gear that will last and take some abuse but I'm also not dirt jumping or riding downhill. I wasn't looking for 12" of travel with an 8oz fork ;-)
So far I'm really happy with the Dart2. It replaced my old Q21r with an 80mm Dart 2, stock coils and with no additional options (no pop-loc etc). The improvement over the Q21r (and the dry rotted bumpers) is a world of difference (as one might expect the Q21r is 10+ yrs. old!) It was exactly what I needed to get back on the trails. And the travel is smooth and plush.

As far as the weight increase over the Q21r; The hundreds of dollars difference in price to get something a little lighter was definitely not worth it. Besides, who are we trying to impress? If you can ride, no one cares about the gear.

If you haven't ridden in awhile because your old forks are shot, and have other things to consider in life than your bike's components (mortgage, food for the kids etc) then do not hesitate. The price for the Dart2 doesn't accurately convey the performance. As far as I can tell, there is nothing else at the price point that even comes close.

Go ride!

Favorite Trail:   no one trail in particular

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling (on