RockShox Argyle 409 2007 Forks

• Steerer Tube: Aluminum
  • Lowers: Magnesium, IS Disc Mount and 20mm only

Submitted by Cole a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2008

Strengths:    Very adjustable, light, strong, Maxle QR 20, SRAM warranty service.

Weaknesses:    There could have been one, but SRAM addressed the defect in my fork and got me back on my bike. So, no weaknesses only strengths.

Bottom Line:
I have been very impressed with this fork. You really can dial in the feel to cater to a wide range of riding. I am using it for dirt jumping primarily, but it would be a nice aggressive low travel trail fork or good for slalom and 4X. I was riding the fork and really enjoying it until I heard a strange noise when compressing the fork. It felt as though the compression was coming on and off. I looked down only to find a nice leak of oil coming from the rebound cartridge. My heart sank...warranty experiences have never been fun for me. Yet, low and behold, SRAM rose with shinning colors and completly replaced the cartridge and had it back to me in two weeks. I know that every component I buy has the chance of having a defect. I also know that very few companies are as good as SRAM at addressing those little mishaps. Kudos to SRAM for taking care of me and getting me back on the bike in a short amount of time. I take this into consideration when I rate my products. 5 overall for performance, 5 value for having a company like SRAM backing it!

Favorite Trail:   Meldrum

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Marzocchi, etc.

Bike Setup:   Specialized P.1 CroMo, Thomson, Hope Pro II, King, MTX, One F-ing Speed.

Submitted by AG a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, air sprung, motion control, super stiff

Weaknesses:    Vulnerable rebound knob

Bottom Line:
This fork is worth every penny and is just perfect. Pump it up to 200psi and and it is stiff for dirt jumping let out some air and you can trail ride with it. The motion control allows you to either lock the fork out or tune it to your level of squish. Buy the fork, you will love it.

Purchased At:   Through a friend

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi DJ4

Submitted by Brian Buell a Racer from Ft. Worth, TX

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, Light, Great motion control system, simple, reliable, Love the QR 20mm axle.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I originally had my DJ2 fork on this bike. at roughly 6 pounds for the fork.. its def. burly.. but my riding ability has increased to the point where I personally don't need as much strength.. as finess increased.. strength is less of an issue.

not to say this RS Argyle is not strong.. its super strong and the Axle proves leaps and bounds better, stronger and less hassle then the QR20 my DJ2 came with.

My riding was lacking with the DJ2, as far as trials. once I put the lighter, cooler Argyle 409 on my ability increased, that little bit that was missing was found within the fork.

The motion control by itself increased the ride quality of urban rides, as well as off road with little need for fumbling with the dials or tweaking the air pressure.

I suggest this to anyone looking for a multi use fork.. on or offroad, set it and forget it. Love this fork.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Local bike Shop - worked there

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi DJ2 - 4 years

Bike Setup:   '06 Giant STP Lenosky Edition SRAM Drivetrain -(X.O. Shifter/rear Der., 970 chain, 990 cassette), Argyle 409 fork, Singletrack Arctic Camo rims, Hadley DH rear hub *P.O.S. get a Chris King*, Truvativ Hussefelt Stem, Handlebar, Cranks, Time ATAC Z pedals *no better*, Holy Roller Tires 26x2.4", Sealing tubes, marzocchi 20mm front hub *can't beat it for price*, Thompson seatpost, WTB DH saddle.

Submitted by Sky Gustin a Racer from Port Alberni B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    adjustments,no flex,no problem with solo-air

Weaknesses:    bent steer tube

Bottom Line:
great fork for dirt jumping, freeride, basically almost anything, but steerer is not strong enough. iam a flow rider, so i need equipment that i can trust. i thought i could trust this after a few months of riding, then one case and it bends....

Favorite Trail:   evil eye

chrome truvativ bmx crank
argyle 409
schwalbe crazy bob tires
magura julie ( 2007 )
lizard skin grips (one blue one orange)
single speed
fireeye pedals
sky pilot headset (fsa)
no-name stem polished(30mm)
simtra mcskinny bar

Submitted by Kajtek Sotngiew a Weekend Warrior from Hamden, CT

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2007

Strengths:    I got my Argyle in Punish-Mint Green which is Sick color, it's very durable, it's beefy yet light, you can make as stiff as a rock or as soft as a pillow

Weaknesses:    Theres none, maybe giving out a bigger Rock Shox Sticker when u bought, LOL

Bottom Line:
Argyle 409 Kicks Ass in Punish-Mint Green or White, even though people think it's pricey you have to ride with one to feel the difference, and it is worth the $$$money$$$

Favorite Trail:   My neiborhood

Purchased At:   Westhill Shop

Similar Products Used:   Dirt Jumper 2, Dirt Jumper 1, Gold Label, Argyle 318

Bike Setup:   Frame Chase Hardtail
Fork Rock Shox Argyle 409 1.8" 100mm
Rims (rear) Sun Ditch Witch, 32 hole (front) Atomlab PIMP 32 hole
Hubs (rear) Cannondale Fire Disc (front) Atomlab Aircrop disc
Spokes DT Champion
Tires Maxxis Holy Roller, 26 x 2.4"
Pedals Crankbros 5050xx
Brakeset Avid BB7 w/8" rotor front, Avid BB7 6" rotor rear
Brakelevers Avid BB7
Saddle SDG I-FLY
Seat Post SDG I-Beam
Colors Midnight Blue (matte)

Submitted by ryan a Downhiller from philo il us

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Bottom Line:
this is a great fork for the city and dirt jumps but dont buy it online go to your local bike shop and get it from them i got mine for 450 not 570

Favorite Trail:   farmdale

Submitted by ryan a Downhiller from philo il us

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Favorite Trail:   farmdale

Rock Shox Solo Air problem (argyle 409) - "idle travel"?

Hey guys! I have quite a big problem with my RS Argyle 409 - actually, with its solo air spring. First of all, I have (from some months) sth like "idle travel" - I mean, by first 4mm of its travel, the upper legs seem to be "loose" in lower ones - just like there is no spring inside. I have di ... Read More »

My Argyle 409 is knocking! What is it?

Hey! While pushing my Argyle 409 down (no metter whether I do it quickly or slowly), I can hear a strange "knock" going from the inside. It ussually appears after few minutes of riding. It begun knocking few days ago. Do somebody know what can it be caused by and is it dangerous? Thanks ... Read More »

argyle 409 soloair

Im currently considering this fork, ive been riding with a cheapo-craigslist buy of a manitou nixon, and am looking to upgrade. im currently set on getting a fox fork because of previous exp. but i found the solo air online and have been looking for some impression./reviews :thumbsup:Read More »

08 4X WC, 09 Argyle 318 or 09 409??

Trying to decide on what fork for my dj,urban,park bike. Choices are 08 marz 4X WC, RS Argyle 318 09, or Argyle 09 409? Anyone have suggestions or expirences?Read More »

Paid Spam - Rockshox Argyle 409 Soloair For Sale - Paid Spam

Check it out!!!!!!!!!!!! [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=25156[/url]Read More »