Marzocchi Z1 RC2 ETA 2007 Forks

• Coil Spring
  • Reinforced Alloy Steer Tube & Crown
  • 32mm Alloy Stanchions
  • INTL STD D-Brake

Submitted by the_one a Weekend Warrior from Madrid(Spain)

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Strengths:    it Works fine.
Easy to keep

Weaknesses:    Compresion adjuster (it is easy to lost it)

Bottom Line:
It is too reliable. it works too good and easy and cheaper to keep.

Favorite Trail:   All mountain

Purchased At:   actionsports.de

Similar Products Used:   RS Pike

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign

Submitted by halo777 a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2010

Strengths:    Very tough fork
No flex
Requires very little maintenance
One of the last Marzocchi's made in Italy (newer ones are made in China, and quality has dropped)
Tight seals
Super plush
Seemingly bottomless travel
Lockout for climbs
Very adjustable with RC2
They are Orange like the original Z1!

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
Simply awesome fork. Expensive, but worth every penny. Has been virtually maintenance free and still performs like new. Following the short initial break-in period, it has been super plush and will soak up almost anything you can throw at it.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla, 2001 Marzocchi Z1, Marz 66, Rockshox Pike, DT Swiss XMC 130

Submitted by Ben Wjahrveghtknyson from Seattle WA

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Its made by Marzocchi. Its simple and it works. The rebound and compression adjustments have a large and useful range. The ETA adjustment is nice sometimes.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm. I'll be honest, there is some stiction. If I lube the seals before every ride it helps, but its kind of annoying. And when the ETA is on, my for gradually creeps up. It takes a while, but it'll creep from full lock down to full extension if I leave it overnight (but generally it doesn't take me all night to complete a climb, so I guess the overnight travel creep is an unreasonable test of function... but still, it creeps.).

Bottom Line:
Well, I guess this review is a little late... the fork has been on my bike for quite some time now, but I wanted to give it a chance to show its true colors before reviewing it. No suprises really. Its simple and user servicable (fox go sucka ****). It works great, and the travel is well controlled and plentiful. Recently it has been clunking when it tops out... I have the rebound set full fast though, so this probably has something to do with it...
Will this fork make you a god to women and mountain biking? Not sure. I already was god's gift to mountain biking and women, so its tough to improve on that, but I've heard when this fork is combined with red bull you'll ride so fast it'll make you sh!t your pants. No joke.
Should you buy it? Well, it has compression and rebound adjustment, the air assist can be used to dial in any spring rate you want, it has a climbing mode. Its plush and predictable, stiff and precise, and orange and black! Its a straight foreward fork, and it works great. What's not to like?
The Z1 rules. I'd buy it again.

Purchased At:   ->Fluid Ride<-

Similar Products Used:   Pike, original Z1!, Z2, and a Z5 (which actually worked amazingly well for a $200 fork)

Bike Setup:   2 wheels+2 tires+2 crank arms+1.75 pedals...+2 chain rings+2 derailleurs+2 brakes+2 grips+1 stem+1 bar+1 seat+1 seat post+1 DHX 5+1 Z1+a frame=hours of fun and pain.... hahaha, I'm so clever

Submitted by MCGNARLYBUGGER a Downhiller from Montana

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Strengths:    Plush, stiff, 20mm axle, RC2 Dampening, adjustments, Lite weight(under 6#s), Plush, color, IT'S A ZOCCH. PERIOD

Weaknesses:    ZIP.

Bottom Line:
There is no reason to spend more money for an all mountain trail ride fork, this fork will handle it all. It has the same dampening as the 1000 dollar 66, and 55's. Eta is great on forest roads. This fork sucks up every thing on the way down and tracks awsome, great on stutter bumps, jumps and drops. If you want to freeride on it just get the heavy springs. THIS IS THE BEST ALL MOUNTAIN FORK FOR THE MONEY, AND PROBABLY JUST AS GOOD AS THE MORE EXPENSIVE ONES.

Favorite Trail:   The downhill part of all trails!

Similar Products Used:   I've tried it all!

Bike Setup:   Turner 6pack Z1 RC2, King, headset, king hubs, XO, Syncros rims stem and bar, Thompson post,wtb saddle, XT cranks. ALL THE GOODS

Submitted by Zafiu Adrian a Racer from Romania, Bucuresti

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2007

Weaknesses:    I hear a click at my rebound.if i put my rebound on slow the click get's louder.what can i do with it?

Bottom Line:
The fork is very good but i hope that the click problem will solve

Favorite Trail:   skate park

Similar Products Used:   dirt jumper pike 426

Bike Setup:   Kona Cowan

Submitted by Steve Keller a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ US

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    - Very rigid due to 20mm thru axle & 32mm stanchions
- Infinitely adjustable rebound AND compression damping
- Comprised of proven designs and systems

Weaknesses:    - Bright safety orange paint says "Hey everyone, look at my sexy forks!"
- An intermittent clunk when they top out. Goes away with tighter rebound setting. Still annoys me.
- I like to climb stuff, and the ETA drops the height sufficiently, but it almost locks out and it's harsh.

Bottom Line:
Alright, if you like to absolutely SHRED!!! down the massive mountain you just cranked up, these forks will dazzle you with stupid amounts of plushness and adjustability. Look, you know you have a good fork when you take it out of the box and slap it on the bike and without having to dork around with it, its already almost as plush as the RC66 you rode awhile back. There is that clunk issue, but I think it can be tuned out.

If you are a gram counting waxer/shaver, you don't want this fork - it's not the lightest, and you're not gonna win any XC races with it. If you are a downhiller/serious free rider, you want something more serious like a 66 or a 888. If you want a plush, sturdy, serviceable, adjustable and trail proven fork that will still allow you to climb big and drop bigger, Z.1 RC2 ETA is the joint. I had a tough time deciding between the All Mountain 1 and this fork, but in the end I chose the Z.1 because of it's proven RC2 damping, certainly not because of it's gaudy orange colour.

Favorite Trail:   The ones that can hurt you

- Mavic Crossmax XL wheelset
- XT this, Raceface that

Submitted by Joerg from Kempten, Germany

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Strengths:    Stiffness, Damping System

Weaknesses:    Complicated axle system

Bottom Line:
Just replaced my AM I ETA by the Z1 -> great change!! The Z1 is much better in damping and stiffness is not comparable... The AM was always to weak for the rear part of my bike, now I have a good competitor in the front. As I am used to quick release, I am a little bit annoyed by the thru axle system, which means a lot of work to release the front wheel - on the other hand, this system gives the strength to the fork. Weight is still OK: 2550g (The AM I was at 2430g!)
Overall: I'm just happy to be back on a Z1 again - my old 130mm Z1 FR was great too. The AM was a bit of a step back, when riding in rough terrains - it's a great CC and AM fork, but nothing more. The Z1 gives much more riding possibilities!!!
Sorry for my english - I'm german....

Favorite Trail:   601

Purchased At:   Bike-Line, Ulm

Similar Products Used:   Z1 FR '04, All Mountain 1 ETA '06

Bike Setup:   Nicolai Helius FR, Fox DHX 5.0, Z1 2RCV, Hopo Mono4

Submitted by Jazz McCreaky a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    It is very plush, very adjustable with the rebound compression but the best thing is the ETA for climbing

Weaknesses:    The small adapter needed to enter air could very easily be lost, that is my only problem so far

Bottom Line:
A lovely fork which can actually be pedalled due to the ETA the 30mm travel on the ETA is not that great but when at full extension, the rebound is very good and they are very plush and adjustable with the air support.

I am riding a XL reign and weigh 16 stone and have already given these some abuse on the trails, no massive jumps of drops but a very quick hammering and they were a great choice. Go for them but be aware they are not the weight of an XC fork they are relatively heavy but the do have relatively good small bump resistance aswell

Favorite Trail:   Husky Trail