Marzocchi MX Pro 2007 Forks

• V-Brake
  • 6" Post Mount

Submitted by riqtan a Weekend Warrior from Bacolod City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Strengths:    After the initial break in period, my fork has been very plush & responsive. Excellent stiffness. Extremely tunable. I own the 2007 Dual Air 80mm variety & it has never bottomed out even on tough trails. Extremely low maintenance.

Weaknesses:    Not ultralight, but for the price its fairly decent tipping the scales at about 4lbs.

Bottom Line:
Great value for your money. Performance is comparable to forks costing twice as much.

Although my fork comes w/out the Lock Out feature (by choice), I have not found the need for such. Once I've found the perfect air setting, I experience almost no bobbing even on concrete roads.

It's not the perfect fork, but in its price range, its definitely one of the best.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   2009 Giant XTC Team. 2007 Marzocchi MX Pro 80mm. Shimano SLX Components.

Submitted by Dan D a Cross Country Rider from Orange County, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2009

Strengths:    Great, reliable, predictable fork for the money. I keep trying to talk myself into buying a much higher-end fork, but always sop myself because this fork does everything I need it to do for the type of riding (XC) that I do. Even with only 85mm of travel it has handled an single track that I have thrown at it. I have never bottomed it out as some other reviewers have mentioned, but that's also because I don't take many drops doing the XC riding that I prefer. Basically, you can't beat this fork at this price point.

Weaknesses:    No lock out, but that was also my choice not to buy the LO version. As other reviewers have noted, the first 5-10mm of travel are a bit sticky. But once you get past that this fork is very plush; it tracks very well. It's heavy, but what do you expect for $275?

Bottom Line:
This fork gets strange looks from other riders when they see some of my other components on my Kona. It's got to be odd to see a bike with other high-end components like American Classic wheels and carbon wherever I can make it fit...only to see this anchor of a fork up front. Every few months I get the urge to splurge and go with a high-end fork. But I always talk myself out of it. Short of adding a lock-out, I would have to spend at least twice as much to get similar performance but with a bit more *bling* factor. This fork has done the Counting Coup, Vision Quest, Traverse & Sea Otter races along side forks that cost 3x as much. It's simply never let me down.

Bottom line, I know I could have a better fork. This fork isn't great, it's just extremely adequate. Until I *need* a better fork I am very happy with this one.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana mtns, Chino Hills, Whiting

Purchased At:   Blue Sky

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute & quick demos of buddies' bikes with Fox & Rock Shox forks.

Bike Setup:   '06 Kona Kikapu

Submitted by addict42 a Racer from Atlanta, Ga.

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, Smooth, Fairly light, Very reliable

Weaknesses:    Limited adjustability (not a weakness at this price point)

Bottom Line:
My fork is actually the 2006 version (85mm travel). For the price, this fork is simply fantastic. It corners very well, even over rough and root-covered corners, tips the scale at just under 4 pounds, and never seems to need maintenance. I have ridden it for two years now and the only maintenance I've performed has been cleaning and lubricating the sliders after each ride. The fork is still as smooth as it was when new. It also maintains a consistent air pressure for months at a time.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Mars Elite, Rock Shox Pilot

Bike Setup:   XC Hardtail, short travel fork, tubeless tires, 9spd Deore/XT/XTR

Submitted by Laevian Davey a Downhiller from Bucharest, Romania

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2008

Strengths:    Its very reliable on corners as well as in continuing stress along a trail. Even though i am a downhill fanatic i also use it for freeride sometimes.

Weaknesses:    None so far, will get back to you after a few months.

Bottom Line:
Its a pretty good balance between price and quality so far... usually i get things broken in the first ten days of use so, you do the maths. The only other type of fork i would use would be another model from Marzocchi but a bigger fork would then put out too much stress on the frame. On the other hand i left the air pressure at about 23 psi and it works just perfect, their specifications were way off basis considering i have 58 Kg. Try buying this fork, though, if you're the kind of rider who could as well use fixed forks.

Favorite Trail:   Bucegi Mountains

Purchased At:   As sport florescu

Similar Products Used:   Santour DURO (broke it in three spots)

Bike Setup:   Cube edge zone 2007 15", Schwalbe, Shimano(Deore) and of course Marzocchi products

Submitted by Todd Fredericks a Weekend Warrior from Bowling Green

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2008

Strengths:    I have the
Marzocchi '07 MX Pro 120mm fork, OEM. I really like the amount of travel and the ability to run both v-brakes or disc also I am around 240lbs and I haven't bottomed out yet.

Weaknesses:    None as of now

Bottom Line:
Getting 120mm of Marzocchi travel for under $300 you can't beat that. I haven't seen any other reviews for the 120 OEM so I would like to know if anyone else is running it?

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Nothing with this much travel but I have been riding a Manitou Black 80mm with lockout

Bike Setup:   Marin Alpine Trail w/ XT Marzocchi mx pro 120mm fork, Shock works BR rear shock.

Submitted by Albertinho a Cross Country Rider from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    No bottoming, smooth when broken in, less then 2 kg, quality, elegant looks. A lot cheaper that the ETA version.

Weaknesses:    Could be a bit lighter with an alloy crown and steerer tube. No lockout, it bobs during heavy out of the seat mashing up the hill. But climbing in the seat is fine, I don't miss it then at all, you roll over roots and stuff easier with some suspension. No real weaknesses actually.

Bottom Line:
I upgraded from the Dart 3 which was quite okay for the money. The MX is lighter though and I can feel more stiffness on the front end, it is more stable and reassuring on fast downhills than the Dart was, and it tracks the terrain better. It has a bit longer axle to crown length as well. It took more than a month for it to get broken in but it's smooth now. When I ride I just pick the lines and it soaks up all the bumps in the way, doing what a decent fork should do quite well. The RV takes a bit too many turns from slowest to fastest setting, I was turning it bit by bit towards fast and left it at some 75%, I guess if the fork feels "right" then it's set up fine.

The psi settings in the manual are a bit too high, I had to reduce pressure to make the correct 20-25mm sag and achieve more travel. It does some 90mm of travel on the roughest bumps now, but I guess it's not bad actually because it has a reserve from bottoming that way. I will put a bit less oil when I'll be servicing it to squeeze out a few more mm's of travel though. But now I'm keeping it as it is, why tamper with it if it works? Good fork, get it.

Favorite Trail:   beer climb beer descent beer

Purchased At:   Maraton

X-9/Attack shifters
Deore/LX parts

Submitted by Matt Kuhl a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability for such an inexpensive fork is rather good; rebound damping and (air) spring pre-load.

Weaknesses:    It feels a bit "sticky" sometimes and although it has provisions for V-brakes, good luck finding the pivots to actually make them work.

Bottom Line:
Too much air and this fork is crap. I think it came pre-loaded at 40psi, but it became a much more usable fork at the 26-28psi I run now. I'm 5'11" and 175lbs, so I imagine the factory pre-load is set up for 200+ pounders.

Favorite Trail:   San Diego's complete works

Shimano XT crankset/front derailleur/chain/cassette
Marzocchi Bomber MX Pro 100mm fork
Avid Juicy7 brakes w/ 185mm/F, 160mm/R
Cane Creek SOLOS headset
Bontrager carbon stem and bars
CrankBros CandySL pedals
Mavic CrossTrail wheels w/ Kenda Nevegal 2.1"

Submitted by Mark s a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my earlier review and to Andy Sommerville's (and my) last complaint (about only getting 75 mm. of travel). I weigh 170 lbs. and found that I could get 90 mm. of travel out of the shock if I put in only 22 psi instead of the reccommended 35 psi (although it's a bit too soft and squishy at such a low psi). So I think the common problem of lack of travel is not so much that Marzocchi may be putting too much oil in, but that their recommendations on how much air to put in are way too high. I think you need to choose between big bump without pogo performance, or a soft cushy ride over the small stuff.
So I guess the big question is "is this just a limitation of the MX Pro, or does one need to make this same tradeoff/choice on the decent Fox and Manitou shocks?

Favorite Trail:   any redwoods area in Nocal

Purchased At:   Randall Scott

Submitted by Andy Somerville a Weekend Warrior from Newport Beach, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my earlier post about travel issues with this fork. Though it's billed as a 100mm fork, in real world conditions, I can't get more than 75mm travel out of it. I had the guys at The Path Bike Shop in Tustin drain and refill the oil to the proper level and confirm that the fork is operating properly. When aired up to the correct PSI for my weight, and with the sag reading where it needs to be, it produces about 75mm travel max. This is a real bummer for any fork found outside a Wal*mart, much less a $400 fork (mine is the ETA version). Anybody elese got any experience with a fix for this?

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch/Santiago/Luge

Submitted by first name from middlesex

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
i am looking to buy these forks but i cannot see the preload adjustment on the fork. any ideas where it is?

Submitted by andy somerville a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2007

Strengths:    ETA, smooth stroke, rigidity, effective rebound

Weaknesses:    Doesn't produce advertised 100mm travel

Bottom Line:
I have a 2005 MX Pro ETA, and I'm experiencing the same travel (or lack thereof) issue I've seen from other members. This is supposed to be a 100mm fork, but I can't get more than 75-80mm out of it. E-mailed Marzocchi USA and they responded quickly and suggested the oil level may be too high. If so, it came from the factory that way as I've not had it rebuilt or serviced. Their quick response suggests they've heard this complaint before.
I'll be taking it in to my LBS (The Path in Tustin, CA) for a look-see. I'll have them check the current oil level, then compare to factory specs and adjust as needed. I will post again if/when I get it resolved and out for a ride to judge the results. It will take me 3+ weeks to work through this.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch/Santiago/Luge