Home | Reviews | Videos | Tread

3.39/5 (18 Reviews)

Tread

Submitted by mtnbici a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Strengths:    One of the good mountain bike movies, no headbanging garbage with the same people in every movie.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is one of the original MTB movies to be put out and I remember it was 'the' movie to see if you were a mountain biker. It's still fun to watch after 10 years and I am watching it as I type this review. Bring back the good old days!

Purchased At:   Don't remember.

Submitted by Nathan a Weekend Warrior from Rowlett, TX

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2004

Strengths:    Herbold, Hans Rey, many other famous riders. Broad range of music choices.

Weaknesses:    Story line gets lost in the middle, Some won't like the "old-fasioned" riding & bikes, Younger riders might not like the non-headbanging music. Silly segment on messengers and British motorcycle messengers doesn't really fit.

Bottom Line:
I love this film. I am an early 30's rider who got into it in the early/mid 90's. Seeing the old bikes and riders is something I enjoy. I also like that the music is varied and not just head-banging stuff. I find the cross-country opera song quite amusing. Hans & Herbold are fun to watch and seem cool to me - but not to my younger brother. I also like the varied style of riding - XC, downhill, Cyclocross, etc. Not just a bunch of hucking to headbanging music like the newer videos. I think my favorite segment is Hans in the center of Ecuador...trying to survive the traffic. My 4yr old son really likes the Herbold faceplant in the snow. The story line of Hans and Herbold looking for the ultimate ride in Moab is cool, but gets lost in the middle. Suddenly the two are entering a race in California? Then in the end they are back on the road traveling to Shredtopia/Pub City?

Favorite Trail:   Womble

Purchased At:   Amazon MarketPlace

Similar Products Used:   retread, Search for the Holy Trail, Ned Overend's How to mountain bike (not sure if that is the right title)

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota XC with Z2 fork and XT drivetrain.

Submitted by Russ Roeckel from San Mateo, CA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Strengths:    Fun interaction between Herbold and Ray. Fun bike sequences, music I can appreciate.

Weaknesses:    A little slow paced.

Bottom Line:
I liked this movie. I think you need to be in a easy going mood for it but it's fun to watch. Not enough of Hans doing his thing though, he's just amazing to watch. My kids think there should be more crashing to spice things up.
What some people should realize is that this is an old movie and was breaking newer ground when made. Also it's not a BIG DROPOFF type movie, it's more of a general mountain bike or NORBA type movie in that it incorporates all of the NORBA race styles of the day; XC, DH, OT, DS.

I enjoyed the music, especially over Down/Down2 bang your head against the wall crap. It is fun to see the bikes setup back in '94, some with no front suspension. This is about when I got in MTBing and though I'm a newby I appreciate the reminder.

I liked this movie much more than Tread2.

Favorite Trail:   Corta Madera -

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   Down, Down2, Tread2

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Owl Hollow with pretty some good equipement though there' always room for improvement.

Submitted by Elan a Cross Country Rider from Georgetown Co

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Strengths:    Every thing, exept or the gay ( not that theres anything wrong with that) cross country spif. Hans and H-ball are funny, i dont know whats up everyone else's arse, but this is agreat actioncomedy.... the movie will definately make you want to go riding after you watch it. I think every one else has sticks or somthing up their arses', just a comic video with great Hans Rey action, nothing to get pissed off over at all, because this movie rules!

Weaknesses:    Brings out the Cynical a$$holes in most people.

Bottom Line:
Watch this movie, i dont care how, rent it, borrow it, buy it, if you want the karma steal it. Just keep an open mind and youre in for some fun video watching

Favorite Trail:   Silver creek

Purchased At:   friends

Similar Products Used:   All Kranked videos, other stuff.

Bike Setup:   00 Kona Caldera, XT/XTR, Mavic

Submitted by YaMon a Cross Country Rider from Jamaica

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2000

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The Entire Movie

Bottom Line:
Stay away from this one. Would not watch it if there was absolutely nothing else to do. Hans and Herbold act like idiots.

Favorite Trail:   Upton

Similar Products Used:   None, but not the last

Bike Setup:   Mantra Race with everything Titanium

Submitted by Sherman a Weekend Warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1999

Strengths:
Hans Rey is in it

Weaknesses:
Story line
Comedy

Bottom Line:
This is an ok video. They tried to make a story out of mountain biking which was kinda lame. I just like watching Hans do his thing. The funny parts are not that funny. But I did like the location it which it was shot. This video is also quite old and it is fun to look at it and see how bike technology has evolved.

tested or demo'ed only

Various biking videos

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: June 11, 1999

Strengths:
People in it. Awesome images.

Weaknesses:
Lame cross county scenes.

Bottom Line:
It's funny. A good cross of technical and downhill riding. Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling about riding. Makes me want to get out and ride. Hans Rey and Greg herbold add a lot of silliness.

1 Year

Re-Tread, Kranked 2

Submitted by Bill a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Strengths:
low price

Bottom Line:
I picked this up on DVD it was paired with re-tread on the same disc for like $3 Considering the double feature and price, I give it 5

6 months

Submitted by Barry a Racer from The Big Bad City

Date Reviewed: March 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is video has some decent parts to it, but the parts with Hans and Herbold remind me of two jr. highers who borrowed daddys camcorder for the weekend. What a couple of dorks. One thing that I really dug about this movie is retro-factor of the bikes ridden in it. Keep in mind that this movie was made several years back. Watching pros race DH on hardtails with Mag21s really makes me feel tricked out on my modern ride. Brings back memorys of the days when my friends and I used to drool over the Cannondale Pepperoni Rigid fork. I give this video a 1 only so that I can distance it from Re-Tred which I give I 5. Its a go flick but dont waste your time if you can get your hands on ReTred instead.

3 months

Submitted by Not Impressed a cross-country rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 1999

Bottom Line:

B-O-R-I-N-G, a word best used to describe this movie. Y-A-W-N, a word describing the music in this movie. A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G, the way to describe the guy who spells everything during the narration. They take some otherwise good footage and spoil it with elevator music and poor narration. Chainsmoke you are not. If you are Jonesin for some Hans Rey, get Big Five.

Submitted by Daniel a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is a great mountain bike movie. I watch it during training when the weather is too bad to ride. It shows all sorts of different riding terrain. It's well made too...some mountain bike movies look like they were put together at home. Gotta love that Hans Rey action too!

Submitted by Drew a cross-country rider from Oxford MS

Date Reviewed: June 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

Ok I havent seen the entire movie, just a couple clips that the OutdoorLife Network showed. I was thinking about getting this video before I saw the clips and the movie just sucked. It sucked a whole lot. I would give it no chilis but it had Hans Ray in it so I would have to bump it up to one chili.

Submitted by Desmond Lee a weekend warrior from Vancover, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I think this video is long and boring. The only part I enjoyed watching is Hans doing some urban trials riding and Mongosse team doing some city ride. Both add together is like 10-15 mins. If you want to watch something to get you bumped up before you do a ride, dont watch this one!!!! I suggest The Viscious Cycle!! for the hardcore singletrack riders! Hammer Time for the more BMX/urban style riders and for trials riders like me who wants good video quality and good riding, I suggest the Libor's world tour and Han's new Big Five is pretty funny, but not enough trials riding (withness the backward norse wheelie by another trials rider who rode with Hans!), There is also Monty's Ot Pi's dream, mostly modify trials.

Submitted by Josh C. a racer from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: May 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

The fun factor on this movie is a BIG FAT zero! If I want to see some guys make lame jokes and ride double track all day long, I'd go for a ride with my grandpa. There is little intensity and other than some trials, there isn't too much to see. If you are looking for a good biking vid, try Hammertime for its fun factor, or Chainsmoke for its action!

Submitted by Chris a racer from Lebanon New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

This video is great. I love the variation. The only thing I would do without is the annoying naration in the video. I think we all know how to spell air and know what it means. We don't need a vocabulary lesson while watching a mountain biking video. As for the biking aspect though it rules. I'd give it 5 chilies but because of the naration it gets bumped down to 4.

Trying to adapt shoe to egg beater, shaved off too much tread?

I recently picked up some eggbeater pedals to test out if the extra float would benefit my knee problem. With the cleat shim, my left shoe works well and doesn't interfere with the shoe tread. But the right shoe even with the shim would rub too much against the tread. In an effort to fix this, I sha ... Read More »

Tread Demo with Pivot Cycles

Tread is having a Pivot Cycles demo at Saratoga Gap on March 30th. It will rum from 9am to 3pm. Call the shop for additional info at 408-792-7191. [ATTACH=CONFIG]876384[/ATTACH]Read More »

How much tread do you really need on packed dirt ?

Need opinions please: I ride a Surly Cross Check that came with Kenda Slant Six tires (700x35). I ride 70/30 pavement/dirt. My logic tells me that a street tire, like the WTB slick or a Pasela, will work just fine on packed dirt roads. I don't ride mud, deep sand, or loose gravel; consistently anywa ... Read More »

Big affordable tread!

I just stocked up on some high volume tires for 2014. You can score some 2.35" Hans Dampf and 2.4" Chunky Monkeys for $25.73 from Planet X UK. Just a heads up for those who don't check the hot deals forum. I liked the stickier Chunky Monkey better than the 2.4 Ardent which uses the same casing, i ... Read More »