Mountain Biker Magazine Magazine

3.29/5 (42 Reviews)

MTB Magazine

Submitted by Walter from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Once a good mag, it went to pot when Vern Felton and several other bozos got control. I remember one of them riding the AMP B-5 and trashing it for having 'too short a top tube' and the head tube was 'too short even with a riser'. The bozo couldn't even figure out that he was well over 6 feet and riding a medium-size frame, what a loser. Eventually all this came to rest & the magazine went out of business. Many people seemed to have lost out on their remaining subscription coverage. Some of the losers went over to BIKE where they are still lousing things up.

Submitted by Brian a weekend warrior from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

Now a defunct mag. My subscription was payed through June 2000 when they merged with BIKE. Well I already subscribed to BIKE as well. They did not respond to my queries as to getting credit to my BIKE sub. BBBAAADDD!!!I will now be cancelling my BIKE sub which was paid through February 2000 to make my point to the publisher and read my friends copies!NO CHILIES! (This page requires a minimum score of one chilie to get review posted)

Submitted by Phil... a cross-country rider from Alaska

Date Reviewed: December 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recieved my free subscription through MTBR after filling out their survey. I like the magazine, its informative on such topics as equipment, maintenance, some nutrition, fitness, and trails to ride. It was a good 'zine anyway. I called recently to have them change my mailing address and found out that they were in the process of going through a merger with Bike Magazine. They said my subscription would be continued with Bike Mag. but they couldn't change my Address since things were being processed (subscriber info. being transfered to Bike Mag.) etc. Those of you who havn't recieved your MBM subscription lately, or even at all, should give them a call and find out whats what.
I give the Magazine a four...

Submitted by Larry Levesque a cross-country rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: December 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

Not only have I not been getting my subscription I can't even find it on the magazine stands.I sent a check to renew my subscription back in August and they cashed it at the end of September and here it is the middle of December and I haven't heard a word from them.

Submitted by Todd a cross-country rider from Dallas Tx USA of A

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I knew it. Beware when you see companies offering you a free subscription of a magazine with a product purchase. I got a hat from MTBR.com and was supposed to get the magazine too. Nope. I did suspect they were on the verge of folding, because another mailorder house was doing the same thing. I guess whenever a publication is in trouble they do what they can to try to boost their readership. It didn't work, and too bad, it was a decent rag. I guess the sport can't support more than about 3 American magazines. This was about the 4th best, too (but still worth reading).

Submitted by Steve a weekend warrior from usa

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I called to see what was up with my new subscription. I hadnt recieved a the Nov. issue. Well Peterson publishing pulled the magazine. RIP. I was also told that the lame bicycling magazine would be replacing it temporarily and then BIKE would take its place. I was suprised however to see that Bicycling magazine had changed its format in the Dec issue to include alot more Mountain bike material.
Bike magazine on the other hand is full of fluffy photo's and not much else. I kept the subsciption and I will see what happens. Vernon Felton's articles will be missed! I give Mountain Biker a 5 & peterson publishing a -5.!!!!!

Submitted by Chip a cross-country rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

The answer as to why you aren't getting your mag anymore is that Peterson stopped publishing it with the October issue. I wonder if I'll get a refund for the issues left on my subscription? Yeah, right!

Submitted by Noel a cross-country rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is a quick followup to my previous review. Since I posted that review
I have stopped receiving my free subscription. It could be that they
are extremely disorganized and unprofesional. It could be that they can't
stand the comments I made. The case is that I'm not receiving the subscription
anymore. I can't say I'm missing it much, but it just adds to the whole
unprofessional style.
I would certainly recommend staying away from this mag. It's not worth it.
0 chillies if I could.And please, Mountain Biker Magazine, don't send me unsolicited email like
you did in response to my last post. Thank you.

Submitted by Jeff a racer from Arizona

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

WHAT HAPPENED TO MOUNTAIN BIKER MAGAZINE???? I called the subscription office to change my address and they said that October will be the last issue of the magazine. What's up with that? They finally started to improve the articles and made the reviews easy to read, and then the magazine folds (so to speak). The subscription dude said that the rest of my subscription will be fulfilled with Bicycling Magazine, isn't that mostly roady stuff? We'll have to see.
3 chili's for improving the mag, one chili for losing the mag, average of 2.

Submitted by Ryan Parks a racer from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: September 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

i love this magize and you need a columb for trails because thats me. crazy stuff is to my liking and thats what i do so you need more stuff on tricks Mt. style... I enjoy all your tips on bike proping i like also the ideas that you give on making the bike lighter and faster. I ride a GT zaskar LE and love it please give an artical on that.

Submitted by Jordan Lloyd a cross-country rider from Ontario CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

its a good magizine, but then there all pretty muck the same anyway. I like it
mountain bike action and mountain bike, i would recomend these for good reading.
words words words words words words words i need 50 !!words words words words words words words words words words words words words thank you.

Submitted by Sean Gardinera a cross-country rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

i think u have great web site and i'm hoping you'll put me in your review part to tell everone about this. I live in san diego and i was hoping trhat you would be able to help me out i was hoping to could tell me where the best place in san diego is to mountain bike, thankk you

Submitted by Noel a cross-country rider from Amherst, MA (USA)

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got a free magazine subscription filling the survey in this site.
As someone else mentioned before, they also sent me the leftover numbers
from a couple of months ago (they were all beat up too). Not a good
beginning.Apart from that, I must be reading a different magazine than the people
who are raving about it here. In my opinion, the articles are shallow,
fairly uninformative, and written in a this-is-way-k00l-and-xtreme-dude
tone that I don't care for.I don't like the magazine layout, the way you can't tell where an article
ends and another starts, how they put the ends of the articles at the end of
the magazine, etc, etc.Put it this way, I've almost called them up to cancel my FREE subscription.
I just read the couple interesting pages, and then donate them to my
local library. At least someone enjoys it there because it's usually gone
within a few days :)

Submitted by Tony D a cross-country rider from Vancouver, WA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

Wow. I got my first 3 issues via the Bike World free subscription. It is quite good really. I have been disappointed lately w/the work of Rodale Press (Bicycling and Mountain Bike). I think Mountain Biker is a keeper. A nice balance of race coverage, reviews, & shop talk. It still has some of the silly garbage taking over Mountain Bike (tight vs baggy clothes articles) but very promising.

Submitted by Jim a racer from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

This magazine is really good. It gives me many helpful hints
and techniques to riding. I found a lot of info in it and also
have called up several places advertised in it. I have a subscription
and am very happy with with it.I still prefer Mt. Bike Action of them
all. Still, I give it 5 flaming hotties.