Dirt Rag Magazine Magazine

4.22/5 (98 Reviews)

Dirt Rag Magazine

Submitted by sully a Cross Country Rider from coon rapids, mn.

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    Great magizine, great articles and great writing on low key races to the big gun natinals. Old coot still rocking it

Bottom Line:
awesome been a subscriber since early 90's, till present.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Bike Setup:   26" singlespeed Trek top- fuel, surly km ss many more

Submitted by ZenMonkey760 a Cross Country Rider from Encinitas, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2008

Strengths:    Pictures, reviews, most of the articles, willingness to relate real world issues to MtB (e.g., they tackle some political issues that tend to piss of some people).

Weaknesses:    'old coot' column contains some gems of knowledge, but it's so hard to read the pidgin that I often avoid it.

Bottom Line:
I subscribed to this magazine for a few years. It's not very expensive and I think worth the money. Then I decided to just go for the "lifetime subscription" option since it was the most economical in the long run.

Favorite Trail:   Nobel Canyon

Purchased At:   Lifetime subscriptio

Similar Products Used:   Bike, Mountain Bike

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL

Submitted by Jay a Racer from North America

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2008

Strengths:    Can be Recycled. Held at a distance one can check vision.

Weaknesses:    Idiotic and sophmoric when trying to be clever and Collegiate.

Bottom Line:
I joined PEROSFEST last year, and this was given with a bag full of other product with each participant. Seniors to lil' kids are among the attendees.
The issue WE got had some rambling about how dude likes to #uck, and whle he hates this chick, at least they can #uck...
This is not anything I want to read anywheres, let alone be put into the hands of a developing mind, our future.
If I get this for a 'gift' this year, I will throw it back at the DIRTRAG tent.
The rest of the 'Zine stunk it up too.

Purchased At:   Pedro's

Similar Products Used:   Anything to be read.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2008

Strengths:    Great magazine. Best out there.

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
This is the best mountain bike magazine out there. Great microbrew mag. Good writeups, all homegrown. Good tips. Cant say enough positive things.

Favorite Trail:   All

Similar Products Used:   Mountain Bike Mag., Bike Mag.

Bike Setup:   Something made of Ti

Submitted by Micah a Weekend Warrior from San Diego CA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Strengths:    Cool art work, some good interviews. They find some fantastic world/bicycle stories like Tom Richey's "Project Rwanda"

Weaknesses:    It constantly preaches about how great the Counter-culture is.
Some reviews are so random and try to be novels, at the end you know very little about the product. And the "Old Coot" column is imposable to read and utterly stupid.

Bottom Line:
I didn't renew my Sub after i read an article titled"Do It Yourself Bike Touring", it was actually about a guy that goes Dumpster diving and eats roadkill to save money.

They could have a really good mag, but they keep trying to be too counter-culture.

Purchased At:   sub

Similar Products Used:   Every mag i can find, ill read.

Bike Setup:   Nomad, and an old Hard Tail.

Submitted by joel Ercolani a Racer from randolph NJ USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    have remained quite honest over the 10-12 years i have read it

Weaknesses:    occasional bmx or DS emphasis is sickening
please mags that have been coming up and taking marketshare are descend,singletrack moutain bike rider.

Bottom Line:
Dirt rag is great. Very little BS and some insiteful articles(like the recent suspension article) just spend more time on these. help with typography and layout would help and some beffy issues that cover really interesting stuff that people know is coming in say July. Not a swimsuit issue but something that is an annual new technology or rated rides or how to upgrade your buke type article annualy. are you listening mr. browne.

Again dirt rag is great.
we can all improve that is why we all need coaches.
Even lance.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt YES!...singletrack yummy

Purchased At:   subscribe

Similar Products Used:   Dirt rag stands alone and it does not need a lot of colour glossy pix. to make it you need to focus on your strength and build and win with your streagths. GOD i sound like my coach.

Bike Setup:   i Have Six...which one Had them all from the first alluminum to the first 24 rear 26 front the first front and full suspension first composite. Have not bought a 29er yet nor a jet pack.

Submitted by edouble a Cross Country Rider from LI,NY

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2005

Strengths:    honest product reviews

Weaknesses:    not enough content for my taste. im spoiled by the UK mags.

Bottom Line:
this is probably the best US mag, but its blown away by the U.K. mags like all the other american mags. the american mags do half the testing (some less) of the UK mags and the reviews arent nearly as thourough. dirt rag is good, it just needs A LOT MORE CONTENT.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   barnes n noble

Similar Products Used:   MBA (rc is a jackass)BIKE (was good, fell off)WHATMTB (AWESOME)MTBRIDER(very good)SINGLETRACK (ALSO VERY GOOD)

Bike Setup:   STEEL, what more do you need to know?.

Submitted by Bones a Cross Country Rider from Nevada

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2005

Strengths:    Sturdy cover, paper (built to last). Honest and real world reviews, nostalgic, innovative, aesthetic, good writing and artwork.

Weaknesses:    I've read this mag for nine years and sure I can't say that it's always impressed me! Well you know I don't know anyone who could have. It's like an old friend, even they disappoint from time to time. C'est la vie! Better than the rest..

Bottom Line:
You'll find something you like every month. You won't want to toss the mags. You can loan them to friends and you'll get them back in one piece. They have a lifetime subscription for $99.- No other mag is as interesting and gives such a varied perspective on our beloved sport of cycling!!
They haven't been afraid to get down and dirty over the years...

Favorite Trail:   Peavine Mtn, Reno

Purchased At:   Raley's, Tower, Bike Stores

Similar Products Used:   MTB Action, Mountain Bike, Bike, Velo News, German and British rags.... none measure up long term!

Bike Setup:   full suspension, road bike, cruiser

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Wayne, IN

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    Great articles! They write not only about biking, but also the things that most of us in the biking community enjoy. They don't appear to ride the "latest and greatest" bandwagon.

Weaknesses:    They have not yet completely sold out. Oh wait - that is a good thing!

Bottom Line:
The thing that appeals to me the most is the honesty of this magazine. Honest product reviews mixed in with articles berating the current trend of buying the newest, trickest piece of equipment. I like gadgets as much as the next guy, but I also appreciate the fact that good parts last years and therefore I don't need the latest and greatest.

My only complaint? They don't have "Hug The Bunny".

Favorite Trail:   The kind with dirt

Similar Products Used:   Mountain Bike, Bicycling

Bike Setup:   Two wheels (both have hubs and spokes), a frame with paint on it, brakes, shifters, chain, pedals & cranks, handlebars, stem, seatpost. . .what am I forgetting. . .and a saddle.

Submitted by Max a Weekend Warrior from Santa Clarita

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
Why is everyone so excited about this magazine? From reading the reviews, you'ld think it the articles were written by Hemmingway.

The whole feeling of the magazine is very juvenile, not professional. It has that typical counter-culture mentality and it shows. Beer reviews in a MT mag? Come on, this isn't fraternity monthly.

I suppose what really turned me off was the current issue had an interview with one of the founders (who left because she was tired of of cycling). Every other sentence she was swearing at someone or something.

Save your money on this useless RAG, put it towards parts.

If I could give it a "0" chili, I would.

Submitted by Mike S a Cross Country Rider from Spokane

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    good writting, good art, good perspective, extremily relevant topics to cycling in general, and relevant to the readers' generation.

Weaknesses:    ???

Bottom Line:
Come on, a review section for a magazine? If your thinking about investing in this magazine, but aren't sure, you're thinking a little too hard. Go for it, you can't go wrong. I've briefly met the staff at various mtn bike events around the country and I only have good words for the guys and girls at DR. Hope they keep up the good work.

Favorite Trail:   anything dirty

Purchased At:   Barnes and Noble?

Similar Products Used:   tried all, DR is the best

Submitted by D a Cross Country Rider from Denton, TX

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Strengths:    A no frills mag for cyclists. They dont just cover the popular ideas in biking, they get to the root. Also, the cover art kicks.

Bottom Line:
There is just something about Dirt Rag Mag that really gets me. From the articles they publish, to the products they review, this mag rocks. Maybe I'm a little partial,... myself being from Pittsburgh and all. GO PA!!

Purchased At:   Dirty Harry's

Similar Products Used:   Every other cyclist/Mtn bike mag,.. ever!

Bike Setup:   Too many bikes...

Submitted by S from Columbus, Oh

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2003

Strengths:    A MTB mag written by MTbikers

Weaknesses:    only 10 issues a year. It's a long wait between.

Bottom Line:
I've had the privilage to meet Maurice, Jeff G, Brad, and Thanita. They Ride there bikes either like I do or in ways I wish I could. Easy to talk to and looking for your input. There Articles are to the point have provided me with good results when I've followed there advice.

Try it you'll like it.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere the bike goes

Similar Products Used:   all others

Bike Setup:   RM Edge, Marrzochi Z5, Fox Vanilla RC W/Lockout, 36 hole Sun Rhyno Lites w/ XT Disc Hubs, Magura Louise FR Front, Julie Rear.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    Always interesting. More about biking in general than bike racing.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come out weekly.

Bottom Line:
This magazine is great. It is truly a "forum" for bikers to share their stories. I enjoy the political aspect of the writers as well. I'm not much of a racer (actually, I don't race at all), and I like to read about different aspects of biking. This magazine is more of a grass roots publication than the rest, and I like that.

Favorite Trail:   many

Similar Products Used:   All of them.

Bike Setup:   Does anybody care?

Submitted by Stark a Weekend Warrior from Highland, CA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Strengths:    Great mag. You can tell the writers and editors love their mag and treat it like art. I subscribed after seeing the rewiews on MTBreview and am glad I did.

Weaknesses:    a little more left politically than I am, but not so much as to annoy.

Bottom Line:
This is an outstanding magazine that appreciates the fundamental joy of mtn bikes.

Favorite Trail:   SART

Purchased At:   subscription

Similar Products Used:   all the newsstand mtb mags, which I don't (and don't feel a need) to subscribe to.

Dirt Rag Magazine

Is this magazine any good? I read some reviews and there were mixed reviews. What do they generally write about in this Magazine? Are they mostly stories or reviews and "How To's"?:)Read More »

Dirt Rag Magazine has been in WNC area this weekend

I was on a ride with Palmetto Fat Tire Society Saturday at Dupont, and we ran into the crew from Dirt Rag doing some photo shoots. They were shooting on the technical downhill section of Burnt Mountain at the time, and we stopped at the bottom to regroup, and their group did the same. They told us ... Read More »

Zip Tie Rescue Dirt Rag Magazine

So I was riding out at China Camp a few months back and came upon a rider who's headset had come loose and the bolts were broken. So I stopped and tried to help him fix it with some ZIP TIES that I always carry... ANYWAY Yesterday I was riding by some people and I guess it was the same guy.. he tol ... Read More »

Dirt rag OR bike magazine

i have to sell magazine subscriptions for school and they have some pretty good prices, but i have to choose between dirtrag and bike in the past i have read mostly mountain bike action but that is not a choice.Read More »

Snow magazine along the lines of Dirt Rag? (a little OT)

Just curious if anyone out there knows of any snowboarding or boarding/skiing mags along the lines of Dirt Rag. I just started boarding last year and absolutely love it but the in your face style of the snowboarding mags I've seen don't do much for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!Read More »