Bike Magazine Magazine

3.79/5 (212 Reviews)

Bike Magazine

Submitted by gregg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2014

Strengths:    It's a good magazine. Good stories and writing.

Weaknesses:    test

Bottom Line:
test

Submitted by Bridger a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2013

Strengths:    Photography
All styles of mountain biking
Good amount of reviews

Bottom Line:
The best mountain biking magazine out there. Something every mountain biker should own. I got 3 years worth for $19. A steal in my opinion.

Submitted by PD2000 a Cross Country Rider from Dalton, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Strengths:    Photography - graphic layout.

Weaknesses:    editorial, topics specific to downhill type of riding. This magainze really makes it clear that there are factions in mountain biking and it chooses to cater to a few of them and not all of them.

Bottom Line:
who should buy : downhll riders that do whistler in baggy shorts with new troy-lee design helmets

who should NOT buy : XC riders who ride their local XC cource in plain black biker-shorts.

fun to look at. Not too fun to read. The editorial staff is somewhat cocky - I don't enjoy read the letters section because "bike"s responses are cocky and narrow-minded.

this magazine really really is of the school that wearing tight biker shorts is "un-cool" and wearing baggy-shorts with designs is the only way to go. They make fun of XC riders in spandex. I like to bike - I don't care who wears what. This mag would be ideal for someone who does downhill, slopestyle, or is really NOT into racing cross country or wearing tight biker shorts.

I did get 2 years for pretty cheap online though, so i can't complain -it's good eye candy.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican State Park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   dirt rag, mountain bike action

Bike Setup:   C-dale 29er single speed caffeine frame

Submitted by dhw a Weekend Warrior from A.G. Ca USof A

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2009

Strengths:    This is the best mag out there end of statment!!!! The Grimme Handshake is by far the best writing witnessed to date in any of the mags I have been following for the last 20 years

Weaknesses:    not a weekly

Bottom Line:
I was an d am a big mba fan but it gets old for a guy like me I can't buy all the
$7000 bike tested and really didn't dig the vibe. Bike is different and I appreciate the fact it is all about the ride not the bike. It has spurded me to rethink what it means for me to be a mountain biker and what i am looking for in my experience. It is well written and I enjoy it from cover to cover.

Favorite Trail:   east boundry

Purchased At:   suscribed from the m

Similar Products Used:   mba dirtrag mountain bike decline

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler motobecane phantom 29er Schwinn high serra proflex 556
all well used and well loved

Submitted by muzza a Weekend Warrior from busharaguan republic

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    Portrays mountain biking lifestyles, personalities & stuff.

Weaknesses:    Not enough single track content. Assumes everybody has at least 3 rides worth $5K each and unlimited time & money to traverse the Andes

Bottom Line:
My guess is they go through writing staff a lot, probably because they pay -insert profanity here.

So MBR What's up with this new profanity rule?

Occasionally some good writers breeze through Bike. . Bike mostly tries to respect the readers intelligence. They will let you use profanity, if you feel like it. Unlike this church.

Hope they last.

Favorite Trail:   tranquility base

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight. 8" front rotor. 1.9 tires. An XTR crankset that's older than the frame. Kinda wierd.

Submitted by midbunchlurker a Cross Country Rider from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    Amazing photography
Inspiring articles

Weaknesses:    Only 8 issues per year

Bottom Line:
The best bike mag by far. The only mag that makes you want to climb on your bike and get out onto the trail. Inspiring writing and photography from people that *get* mountain biking.

Purchased At:   www.bikemag.com

Similar Products Used:   Bicycling
Mountain Bike Action
MBUK

Submitted by PJ Leeds a Weekend Warrior from North Shore

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Strengths:    Something to read and look at

Weaknesses:    Short product reviews, pathetic attempts at intelligensia writing fail horribly, very little devoted to product knowledge, technology or current trends other than freeriding.

Bottom Line:
Other than Mountain Biking, this is the worst rag out there. The pictures are lovely, but are all from the same photographers. You would think from this mag that there are no other riders other than Shandro, Simmons, Vanderham, Schley....... What about real people with real photos, not pro only shots. Articles are a waste of time; I could care less about the geopolitical realities of life or other topics barely connected to riding. Very few are informative on technology, bike design or needs. Bike reviews are short, to the point but do little to inform the reader. Almost like the magazine is a bike mag, but wants to be something else; like Life magazine. Not worth the cash but I do leaf through it for interest. Rarely there will be something I find to justify the price, but it is few and far between. Funny, the magazine deals heavily with the Shore, where I am from, but I do not need to be beaten to death with what I already know.

I think the mag assumes too much with its readers and fails to impress new ones. Uses too much profanity for my taste, as profanity in print is far more vulgar than in spoken word as the print version is always there. Not professional.

Favorite Trail:   all Shore

Similar Products Used:   All other mags

Bike Setup:   2006 Foes Fly, medium. Full Hope/XTR/Raceface with Monster T.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Somerset, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2005

Strengths:    well written, covers a good range of topics.

Weaknesses:    1 year = only 8 issues

Bottom Line:
I recommend a subscription for your monthly MTB reading needs.

Submitted by Steve C a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2005

Strengths:    Amazing photography, inspired writing, focusses on the ride rather than the equipment or hype. Documents the soul of riding across multiple disciplines.

Weaknesses:    Hype and extra advertising crept in with the corporate take-over and content dwindled. What's there is great - there's just not enough of it anymore.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that in spite of everything, Bike is still the only magazine that documents the way riding infects the soul. The writing has life and humour, and yes, at times it's political and biographical - but it is absolutely suited to those for whome bikes are an integral part of life - storing up happiness, spinning away sadness, working and playing.

Bike's writers churn out words that do justice to the mountain bike dreams I've had, and sew the seeds of new ones. It's photographers capture the details and moments that make the sport what it is to us.

It's reviews are short and light on technical details but informative; but what are you looking at them for? This magazine is all about travel, adventure, beauty, humour and the simple joy of turning pedals over and over.

Bike is the only magazine I have ever felt compelled to subscribe to, and the only one that I've kept every issue of. I've got to give it 5 because I'd be very sad without it.

Purchased At:   bikemag.com

Similar Products Used:   DirtRag (good but different), Mountain Bike Action (materialistic, uninspiring).

Bike Setup:   Custom steel hardtail.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from S. Cal

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2005

Strengths:    pretty pictures

Weaknesses:    thin volume, pointless contents, money driven (see story below)

Bottom Line:
I gave them a try and subscribe from their website, at first I was considering a 2-year subscription, changed my mind before the transaction and went for the 1-year deal.
Paid by credit card and received magazine after few weeks – along with a letter asking to paid for another 2-year subscription, I wrote back a note and hope they will correct the mistake. Few months later, I received a letter from this “debt collector” threatening me to pay or he will post a bad note to my credit report. I wrote back again kindly explaining the situation…. Then guess what? No more magazines coming and I still have 4 months left in my subscription!
I was very disappointed by the contents of the magazine as well as their customer service. Don’t subscribe BIKE mag, because the desperation of money and the trimming down on the volume will eventually put them out of business.

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   MBAction, MTB UK

Submitted by Jeremiah from Longview

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2004

Strengths:    Great photos and good articles. Local knowledge colums
The beer foam test!

Weaknesses:    It's gotten a little thin in the last few years.

Bottom Line:
A quality mag that does a good job of trying to capture the spirit of riding. Good profiles of non mainstream people in the industry. Far more legit than the fools at Mountain Bike and MBA(terrible!)

Similar Products Used:   all

Submitted by John from SoCal

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
BIKE and Dirt Rag cover totally different ends of the mountain bike spectrum. They're the two best magazines out there, but BIKE seems to have gone on a dangerous diet lately. I used to stay up way too late reading it from cover to cover as soon as it arrived, but I went through the latest issue in barely half an hour. Tough times in the bike industry reducing advertising dollars resulting in limited content?

Submitted by Jacob O'Neall a Downhiller from Eubank, Kentucky, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    a good overall mag

Weaknesses:    not enough content, it's sometimes only half the size of other mags

Bottom Line:
A good magazine that seems to focuse on getting you motivated to ride. After reading it, I just want to go for a ride. I like the pictures, and Mike Ferrintino's writing.
Also, I feel that they are less "brand biased" than other magazines(such as MBA)

Favorite Trail:   any that's rough and technical

Purchased At:   grocery store

Similar Products Used:   mtb action, dirt rag, bicycling, mountain biking, flow

Submitted by Stark a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Strengths:    Pretty pictures.

Weaknesses:    Weak writing, lack of content, not much in it besides pictures of people doing extreme things I'll never attempt. I don't need to ride the Red Bull Rampage to get my mtb fix.

Bottom Line:
I got the mag as "free trial issue" from the website. First hint of cheesiness was all the pop-up ads on the site. But for some reason I still gave them my address. I checked the little box saying "don't give out my ID to anyone else." Less than a week later I get a mailer ad for pl@yb0y with my name on it (first time it's ever happened).

Now some people wouldn't mind getting ads for adult mags sent to them. Personally, if I wanted pl@yb0y, I would have gone to their website and subscribed. Since I didn't, it really ticks me off. I sent the "subscriber services" an email telling them to forget about it, just cancel the order and remove me from any lists they put me on. No response from them. A few weeks later the mag shows up. Then this week I get a bill for a year subscription.

I know things are tight in the magazine world, but this sort of stuff stinks. Plus I read the "content" of the "trial issue" in about 20 minutes before bed. I'll stick to mags that don't wh0re me out (dirtrag being the best) for my monthly magazine fix.

You stink Bike. I can't believe IMBA associates with this cr@p.