Home | Reviews | Book | Zinn

Zinn And The Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance Book

4.32/5 (62 Reviews)

Zinn And The Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance

In this book, master framebuilder and technical guru Leonard Zinn delivers a refreshingly straightforward treatment of mountain bike maintenance. Exploded diagrams and easy to follow instructions escort the reader through everything from flat repair to wheelbuilding with the same level of care. Revised in 2010 and now in it's 5th revision to cover today’s modern components.

Price for paperback version is $24.95

Submitted by dj1809

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    Well-written, concise but comprehensive.

Weaknesses:    No photos. All diagrams are drawings.

Bottom Line:
Great book for anything from basic maintenance to extensive overhauling and bike building. I find it easy to pick up and read up on any questions I might have. There's also an extensive appendix regarding proper bike-fitting which may be beneficial to buyers/builders.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Mill Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2006

Strengths:    has tons of info. everything you need to know and then more (it had 5 pages about hydraulic v brakes)

Weaknesses:    um.. it's big?

Bottom Line:
if you like having a bike that works, this is great. A lot cheaper to do what this book says than paying a dollar a minute for a bike shop guy repair your bike. if you're obsessed with bikes like me, you find yourself reading about some random part, even if your bike is working. great book

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Jacksonville, Florida

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Strengths:    Very easy to read. It talks about new bikes as well.

Weaknesses:    No actual photographs. No technical specs.

Bottom Line:
This book is great. I have the 2005 book, and I like having a good reference. I lost my last reference book, and this book is great. While some have complained that there are no technical specs in this, he tells you that in the introduction. At the same time, any time I buy a new product, the specs have allways come with it. I just need a guide. At the same time, if you have access to the internet, you can get specs on anything. Great book for the beginner. Even someone who has no idea about bikes can learn from this. If you have trouble with hydraulic disc brakes, this is the manual for you!

Purchased At:   Books a million

Similar Products Used:   Bicycle magazine maintenance book.

Bike Setup:   Giant trance 2, XT setup

Submitted by Glenn a Weekend Warrior from Waimauku, Auckland, NZ

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2004

Strengths:    Lots of info.

Weaknesses:    The Drawings

Bottom Line:
A good mechanical introduction especially for the beginer who knows little about their bike. I took up riding again about a year and a half ago (14 year break) and this book has given me the ability to perform most of the maintenance tasks needed to keep me off road and out of my lbs. Most of the drawings are ok, although some of the methods/descriptions can be confusing and long winded i.e. overhauling hubs.
If you know nothing about bikes, have a brain, can use tools and would like to save yourself a fortune, i recommend you buy this book and a tool kit. If on the other hand your more experienced, i recommend you look else where.
I'm happy cos i get to work on my steed, save spondulux and hide in the garage away from the ball and chain, everyone's a winner!!! Happy hucking

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill

Purchased At:   Trademe

Similar Products Used:   Er none

Bike Setup:   Frame, wheels and lots of bits that are bolted on.

Submitted by Walter a Cross Country Rider from Rochester Hills MI USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    Good basic info and backup for manufacturer's tech info. Specialized to specific type of bike.

Weaknesses:    tends to be a little wordy and drawing could be better some of the directions take a couple readings

Bottom Line:
A good book to have on hand for repairs enough information to get yourself in over your head and back out again. Clearer illustrations would be nice. As with any manual ( bike, auto, etc...) you should have some knowledge of how to spin a wrench before you start

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Gift no idea mayber borders

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   Fisher HKeK race face prodigy crank set, time aluim pedals, avid mech disc brakes and speed dial 7 levers stock manitou shock (next big purchase)

Submitted by BikingEnthusiastico a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Strengths:    Good for beginners only.

Weaknesses:    Not a good book for the experienced.

Bottom Line:
This book is too simplistic for anyone who already has some (small) amount of skill in bike mechanics. There really isn't enough 'meat' to get into the nitty gritty that some of us more experienced toolers would like to see, and I'm no where near the level of a pro mechanic, just an arm chair fixer upper who has some basic skills and not clueless on things like how to align the derailleurs.

Technical schematics? The illustrations look like they came from a junior high drafting room. Completely useless, they belong in a newspaper editorial section, not a technical manual.

On the physical quality issue, the binding is absolutely terrible. It does NOT want to stay flat no matter what you do. Granted, this is certainly not a fault of the author as he probably had no clue this would happen. I think the publisher did this on purpose just to piss off the author?

Furthermore, I'm shocked there was no technical reference section for looking up popular hardware pieces, such as cog sizes, chainrings, etc. Such a lack of general reference is a major turn-off to this book and decreases its value. To sum it up, this book has been sitting on my shelf for half a year now, as I find absolutely no use for it whatsoever. Quite a shame, since the author seems to have a lot of knowledge, but appeared to have rushed through this book just to 'get it out'.

The bottom line is that this book is probably pretty good for a total newbie that doesn't know anything but has some eagerness to learn. But for anyone else, stay away, there is nothing in here you will gain from.

Submitted by dwight moody a Weekend Warrior from Allston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Comprehensive, decently written

Weaknesses:    Cheap binding, would prefer hardcover. Spiral bounds fall apart too easily. Illustrations somewhat lacking

Bottom Line:
I was a beginner at doing my own repairs when I bought this book, and it has saved me hundreds of dollars. I don't think it's too complicated, though some of the illustrations are kind of confusing.

Now when I take my ride into the shop, I can talk to the techs like somewhat less of a chump, and I only bring it in when I don't have the tool I need. Result: They do most of my work for free and I get invited to parties. Hooray for me!

Purchased At:   Barnes and Noble

Similar Products Used:   Something very crappy I forget the title of.

Bike Setup:   Hardrock, rigid, lots of little upgrades

Submitted by Nigel Pickard a Weekend Warrior from Westwood MA USA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    Covers alot, seems well written in parts, good diagrams and illustrations in some sections for the simple stuff.

Weaknesses:    No spiral binder, sections that jump all over the place, poorly written (or perhaps to be more accurate, poorly edited together?). Terrible diagrams that are good as useless in some sections. Too simplistic in parts. Does not cover some specific proprietary components (but that's a very weak criticism as it's impossible to do so!!)

Bottom Line:
I have the 3rd edition (or the most up to date one for 2002).

Maybe this is a really good book overall, but I had a very frustrating experience using this as a reference to build up a disc wheelset. This definitely ISN'T the book to use for this task. So frustrating to read -it has you continually jumping and cross referencing from one section to another. Poor descriptions, poor diagrams, definite lack of clarity for the disc wheelbuilding section. Other sections do appear to be clearer, but it seems to be more of the simpler common sense stuff anyway. I strongly suspect the editors butchered some stuff and never even attempted to follow some of the directions -a bad recipe for a book attempting to be a how-to.

Perhaps I'm alone on this one after reading other reviews, but based on my experience this isn't a five chili book. In retrospect, I wouldn't have paid the money for this.

Recommended for people who really don't know anything about their bikes and want to attempt some simple maintenance; not recommended for anyone who knows how to adjust derailleurs, brakes, install BBs etc already.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   looking at stuff, rubbing unshaven chin, and saying: "I need a hammer"

Bike Setup:   C'dale Jekyll 500 SRAM drivechain

Submitted by Tony from Earth

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Strengths:    In-depth explanations.

Weaknesses:    Illustrations

Bottom Line:
The author explains it very simply to the layman. The only fault I can find is some of the illustrations. Overall, though, a very useful book.

Bike Setup:   Tommasini Sintesi. Yeti Arc.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Strengths:    Has lots of good info; As others stated, covers all the newer gear.

Weaknesses:    Diagrams

Bottom Line:
I recently got back in to the sport after a couple of years and this book is a good refresher on how to perform repairs and upgrades (properly). That is a huge help for me because all the LBS around here are quite expensive. This book is worth the $20 in that I'll save that much the first time I make my own repair.

Favorite Trail:   The dirtier, the better

Purchased At:   Borders

Bike Setup:   Fisher Wahoo; round tires (for now) ;)

Submitted by Flash Miller a Cross Country Rider from Goleta

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Everything you could ask for and more in a repair book. This review is for the new third edition. It gives you confidence in attempting things that are present much more vaguely in other, so called "repair manuals". The third edition is really up to date, and covers a lot more than I expected concerning repair of newer components. Zinn's book made me more aware of not only my mountain bike, but also myself and how both parts fit in to the conditions that may come up, both on the trail, and at home. This book is well thought out.

Weaknesses:    Not really anything on singlespeed mountain bikes. That isn't going to detract from my general view of the book, howerver.

Bottom Line:
Buy it! I'm actually sorry I ever bought that Bicycling book. It sucks. This one doesn't. You might just learn how to repair your bike, and still be friends with your LBS staff. It would be nice to have Leonard Zinn as my neighbor, however. That way I could borrow not just his knowledge, but maybe also his tools! Sure!
Leonard! You are great! One of my new heroes!!!

Favorite Trail:   Ellwood Mesa Trails

Purchased At:   Borders in Goleta

Similar Products Used:   Bicycling Magazine's "Bicycle Maintenance and Repair" and
"The Bike Book" by Fred Milson, Meredith Press (Haynes Publications), Des Moines, Ia. 1997

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Toccoa/Chris King/XT/Kore/GEAX Sedona/ETC.
Kona Unit/RaceFace/Koski/SDG/Tioga Factory XC SL 1.90/ETC.
A whole lot of other bikes, too.

Submitted by Chris book reader a Cross Country Rider from Richmond,VA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    A great book with very nice drawings.

Weaknesses:    a few products fall through the cracks

Bottom Line:
this book is great. I first bought it to help me do my own repairs and Maintenance. I saved 65 bucks right off the bat and haven't been back to the LBS for ANY repairs in a year! I did go to get my new headset pressed in b/c I didn't want to f*ck up my new Chris King headset by trying to halfazz it at home. This book also helped me indentify the mystery pedals I have I instantly knew I had scott pedals when I look at his exploded drawing of pedals.
VERY good book- buy it if you want to learn how to fix your own bike- skip it if you already know how to do everything.
I love it!
Five flaming burgers!

Favorite Trail:   palmer park

Purchased At:   b & N

Similar Products Used:   hmmm

Bike Setup:   a nice full suspension rig

Submitted by moabbiker from USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Strengths:    some good info for newbies

Weaknesses:    not much detail, lacks newer component info, binding sucks

Bottom Line:
Needs more info and how about some photographs? Really folks, if you're good with searching the net, then save your money and forget this book. You can get all the info you need by going to park tool's website which has better instructions and photographs! And the rest of the info you can find on the internet, through various peeps biking web sites. MUCH better info there and you can print it out to take to your home makeshift repair shop (i.e. the backyard). Zinn's book can't even be used in the field since the darn thing has a binding that refuses to open up flat. For goodness sakes Zinn, get some publication samples before releasing the book! A repair book should be spiral bound or at least be able to open up FLAT on a table!

Submitted by Tino a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Strengths:    puts bike maintence in normal very easy to understand language, helpful diagrams, a ton easier than anything you get from the manufacturer, great for almost every kind of maintence, repair.....

Weaknesses:    doesnt have info for newer items like disc brakes, newer forks, etc.

Bottom Line:
a great book if you want to master all around bike maintence

Purchased At:   EMS