Home | Reviews | Book | TRUE

TRUE Storys Moab Dogs From Hell Book

True Storys Moab Dogs From Hell

Submitted by Kevin Axt a Cross-Country Rider from Kennewick, WA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 1999

Strengths:
MONDO AWESOME mountain biking humor ... and the storys are all TRUE (or so the author has told me).

Weaknesses:
I haven't been out on a ride with True yet. Spilt brew on the book from laughing so hard. Almost gave myself a hernia choking back a laugh while reading in the early morning hours.

Bottom Line:
I was first introduced to Don True's stories after someone forwarded one to a newsgroup I was reading. The story was called Christmas in Dover and by the time I got to the end of the TRUE tale, I was having to wipe tears off my face from laughing so hard. Don's writing reminds me a lot of the tall tales that Patrick McManus spins. If you want to know if someone is human, have them read some of these stories. If at some point they're not laughing, you need to check and make sure that they're still alive!There are nine stories in this gem of a book and each one is a side splitter. My favorite is called North Beaver Mesa to Onion Creek and Don describes it as the epic struggle between coffee, beer, elk hunters, and women. This TRUE tale is by far the longest in the book, a full six chapters with epilogue, and sets the tone for the rest of the stories. There may be a small grain of truth buried somewhere deeply in this story but I'd be hard pressed to figure out just where that grain is. Each chapter has a humorous ending and yet at the same time builds up to something much more so by the time you get to the end of the story you're rolling on the floor laughing!Running a close second as my favorite is the story called Porcupine Cliff Hanger. I'd try to describe it but I'm afraid I'd just end up giving away the punch line. Lets just say that the story involves cliffs and bras. The first time I read this story it was late at night and I was trying not to disturb my wife's sleep. I tried and tried but just couldn't hold back the occasional snort of laughter. A person could really injure themselves trying to be quiet and read this book.

2 Years