Roger Musson Wheel Building Book

4.93/5 (194 Reviews)

• Build your own professional quality wheels and save money
  • Tools, components, building, truing, design, spoke lengths, repairing and a wealth of first-hand tips
  • 100 pages size US Letter (A4) and over 65 detailed razor-sharp CAD diagrams and full-colour photos
  • Access my (Roger Musson) complete knowledge

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2016

Strengths:    Takes the mystery out of building a wheelset. Very practical guide with just the right amount of technical information. Includes information to build a nice set of wheel building tools at minimal cost. Very reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
    Built my first set of MTB wheels in July 2012 and never looked back. Wheels are still true 4 yrs later - no spokes have lost any tension. Preparing to upgrade my rear hub and looking forward to relacing the rear wheel. One of the most practical guide books of any kind I have ever bought.

Bike Setup:   26" trail full suspension trail bike

Submitted by twodogsfighting a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2016

Strengths:    Everything you need to build a wheel, apart from a rim, a hub, spokes and nipples.

Weaknesses:    Have to oil my own nipples.

Bottom Line:
    Great book, invaluable information regarding wheel building.

so far i have built 2 extra shiny wheels, and they have yet to fall apart and kill me.

Purchased At:   www.wheelpro.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Sheldon Browns website.

Bike Setup:   zaskar 100, shiny bits, Lovely handbuilt wheels.

Submitted by Greg Borchert a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2016

Strengths:    Detailed, yet easy to follow and understand. Anyone can begin building wheels following Roger's method, yet one can also grow with the book, improve technique and gain understanding.

Weaknesses:    Like all wheelbuilders, Roger seems opinionated. I generally like the opinions expressed in this book, but some might disagree on certain approaches.

Bottom Line:
    I've read every book on the subject of wheelbuilding that I've ever come across, and I follow Roger Musson's approach. The online spoke length calculator he provides results in spokes of the right length. Roger's lacing method becomes natural. I've definitely tweaked my method and do some things that are uniquely my own, yet Professional Guide to Wheelbuilding has provided the foundation. I'm a road bike guy. I have mountain bikes too, but we all know what we are, and I'm a road guy. I live in the Rocky Mountain foothills, and have often thought while descending some ridiculous and long mountain grade at what to me seems an often ridiculous speed, how nice it is to trust the wheels beneath me. For me wheelbuilding comes down to my experience on the bike. I build wheels for other people too, but the reason I build wheels is that I have a bunch of kids and grandkids. I've been using Roger's book for many years and I've never had any problem associated with my wheelbuild. To my way of thinking, that's the best reason to buy this book.

Similar Products Used:   The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt; The Art of Wheelbuilding byGerd Schraner; Bicycling Science by David Gordon Wilson

Bike Setup:   I build mostly carbon fiber tubular road wheels, though also build aluminum alloy tubular road wheels, some road clincher wheels and road tubeless wheels, some mountain bike wheels (tubular, tubeless and clincher) for various applications, and some cyclocross tubular wheels. I have many bikes. I like tubular wheels, and will never really get the clincher thing.

Submitted by Qalan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2016

Strengths:    With this book anyone can build a wheel. Makes building a wheel as easy as walking down the street.

Bottom Line:
    I'm well retired and in my 70s, so what did I do. I decided I would repair the family bike wheels instead of them being taken to the bike shop for buckles and the odd new wheel. This book opened my eyes to the magic of the wheel builder. Roger made it so simple with this book I couldn't go wrong. In fact he is so scathing about the people who make out its a black art I was probably afraid to even admit to myself I couldn,t do this stuff. With the help of this book I could and did build a number of wheels. I then proceeded to show off before introducing all my cycling friends and acquaintances to this fabulous book on how to build wheels. It's well worth the small outlay, just for the skill in taking buckles out of wheels and keeping them true over the previous few years. Even if you don't initially build wheels buy the book, it will save you pounds in the long run.

Submitted by Klaus a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2016

Strengths:    Complete instruction manual on building wheels
    100% success rate when all the steps are being followed
    Practical guidelines on wheels based on the writers experience
    Information and instructions on tools to assist wheel building
    e-book format

Weaknesses:    Would be great if it also came also as regular print

Bottom Line:
    The idea of building wheels popped in my head 2 years back and I started to acquire tools and all sort of information on how to build wheels. Roger's method is the best out there from all the various methods that can be found on the web and books and the book is a charm to read and understand. Technical enough to get the feel that Roger knows what he talks about but not too geeky and engineering focused.
    I have in the meantime built and repaired 15 set of wheels for me and friends and I am hooked on building more.

One key lesson I learned during my builds: Follow the SOP. Don't try to be a smarty pants and develop own short cuts. Rogers SOP is the best.

Submitted by NICK a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2016

Strengths:    practical,simple,cheap,up to date

Bottom Line:
    Having laced 6 pairs of wheels and trued many others having no problem and not being a pro wheel builder is the best review.

Submitted by Nick Gregory a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2015

Strengths:    Everything you need to be a good wheelbuilder.

Weaknesses:    As with all "how-to" books, best to read and do at the same time.

Bottom Line:
    Rogers book is a godsend if you want to learn how to build good wheels. I went from zero to now having built 20-something sets of wheels and repaired double that, with no problems. Even had someone ask a question about fatbike wheels so I went back to the latest edition download and there were the answers I needed. Fantastic. Best £10 you can spend as a bike mech....

Purchased At:   Wheelpro.co.uk

Submitted by cannondalenik a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2015

Strengths:    East to follow, very well described stage by stage build.

Weaknesses:    My wheels have took a beating and are still true... so none!

Bottom Line:
    Great book, used to build 3 wheel-sets so far and just starting my 4th set. Built the wheel truing stand using the plans in the book. Very informative and easy to follow. Have used my wheels for DH, trail, enduro... Even survived antur stiniog in N Wales (notorious bike breaker uplift)

Submitted by clarence phipps a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2015

Strengths:    This book is complete you, like me, have to know nothing to build an outstanding wheel, that is if you follow Rogers instruction I can assure you that if you are interested in wheel building you won't find a better book than this one by Roger Muss

Weaknesses:    To tell you the true, I didn't find any weakness in the instructions for wheel building.

Bottom Line:
    Knowing and using this book, I would buy it again, even at two or three times it's current price. I almost did but Roger was kind enough to reset my user and password (within 1 hour after I emailed him!) to allow me to download another copy after my computer crashed taking my book and logon info with it

Bike Setup:   5 road bikes, 4 are old Iron, 1 is latest carbon fiber

Submitted by Piscator

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Strengths:    Clear, easily understood, comprehensive.

Weaknesses:    The concepts of dishing could be explained more thoroughly, particularly a simple explanation of the fixes required by the indicators provided by the dishing gauge.

Bottom Line:
    I've built and maintained a few wheels over the years, using empirical methods and a variety of information cobbled together from many sources. I wanted a single authoritative source, that was both comprehensive yet understandable. Mr. Musson's book fulfils those requirements perfectly, and, having built the tools to his designs, I have managed to build several wheels which do the job. As I build more, I hope that I'll become more competent.
    If you have any interest in building or maintaining cycle wheels, then this book is a "must have".

Submitted by Colin Carroll a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2015

Strengths:    It is the best book by far

Bottom Line:
    This book sheds light onto the once dark art of wheel building.
    It is the best one out there and I have read quite a few.
    It is written in easy and straight forward language that leads you through the process of building a wheel.

Submitted by Mark Usher a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2015

Strengths:    lots of great info
    Step-by-step build guide
    Easy to follow
    Plans for a wheel building stand
    Recommended tools
    Fantastic value

Bottom Line:
    For anyone that is looking to start building or repairing their own wheels or just wants to understand the principles behind wheel building this is a great little investment. I found the book easy to understand and think it's a great reference to have once you've learnt the skills. You should also be aware that Roger provides free updates whenever a new edition is released.

Submitted by Philip Gamblin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2015

Strengths:    Concise, well illustrated, well written

Weaknesses:    none I have found

Bottom Line:
    Necessity is the mother of invention. When my Trek 7100 starting breaking spokes I had to do the work myself or take my wheel to the not so LBS and wait a week. At 250-270# I figured breaking spokes was a way of life. After breaking several spokes, LBS suggesting new wheel or a complete rebuild. I let them rebuild it,and broke more spokes. I learned later from the book the LBS built the wheel "soft", using spokes that were too long. Last straw. Googled wheel building and found this book.

I knew nothing about wheel building prior buying this book. I still don't know much, but the book has my back.
    I've built several wheels using this book.I built his nipple driver, works great. I don't build wheels frequently, so each time I break out the book. I STRONGLY recommend reading through the entire process. Line up all your materials and tools, set aside 3-4 hours and build a wheel. I only do 3X spoke pattern nothing fancy. I bought the cheapest Minoura Workman truing stand to which I later added a Harbor Freight dial indicator. Now I can build and true a wheel to within a few thousanths of an inch. I've built 5(ish) wheels the most recent was a Dyno Hub that I damaged by running it backward, turns out it has a preferred direction of rotation. Anyhow, I ordered another $40 Sanyo hub from http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ reloaded the book and went to work. My builds have survived 4-5000 miles of Houston potholes. Bottom line get good rims and spokes and build yourself a great set of wheels. I have never used the spoke calculator that is available online. My spoke problems are gone.

Favorite Trail:   where the beer is coldest

Duration Product Used:   7 years

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.3 FX , Brooks B-68 saddle my home built wheels, a DynoHub

Submitted by Tom a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2015

Strengths:    Everything you ever needed to know about wheel building.

Weaknesses:    I now examine everyone's wheels and don't have enough to build :)

Bottom Line:
    I can not recommend this book highly enough! I could always true and dish wheels but was a bit scared about building my own from scratch for fear of them collapsing or buckling badly. I've followed this book to the letter and have now built several sets of wheels for me and my friends. All of them have been perfect and are still going strong. There's something very liberating about being able to swap a smashed EX729 with a new one in a Morzine chalet ready for the next day!

Favorite Trail:   Chatel