Roger Musson Wheel Building Book

4.93/5 (190 Reviews)

• Build your own professional quality wheels and save money
  • Tools, components, building, truing, design, spoke lengths, repairing and a wealth of first-hand tips
  • 100 pages size US Letter (A4) and over 65 detailed razor-sharp CAD diagrams and full-colour photos
  • Access my (Roger Musson) complete knowledge

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Klaus a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2016

Strengths:    Complete instruction manual on building wheels
    100% success rate when all the steps are being followed
    Practical guidelines on wheels based on the writers experience
    Information and instructions on tools to assist wheel building
    e-book format

Weaknesses:    Would be great if it also came also as regular print

Bottom Line:
    The idea of building wheels popped in my head 2 years back and I started to acquire tools and all sort of information on how to build wheels. Roger's method is the best out there from all the various methods that can be found on the web and books and the book is a charm to read and understand. Technical enough to get the feel that Roger knows what he talks about but not too geeky and engineering focused.
    I have in the meantime built and repaired 15 set of wheels for me and friends and I am hooked on building more.

One key lesson I learned during my builds: Follow the SOP. Don't try to be a smarty pants and develop own short cuts. Rogers SOP is the best.

Submitted by NICK a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2016

Strengths:    practical,simple,cheap,up to date

Bottom Line:
    Having laced 6 pairs of wheels and trued many others having no problem and not being a pro wheel builder is the best review.

Submitted by Nick Gregory a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2015

Strengths:    Everything you need to be a good wheelbuilder.

Weaknesses:    As with all "how-to" books, best to read and do at the same time.

Bottom Line:
    Rogers book is a godsend if you want to learn how to build good wheels. I went from zero to now having built 20-something sets of wheels and repaired double that, with no problems. Even had someone ask a question about fatbike wheels so I went back to the latest edition download and there were the answers I needed. Fantastic. Best £10 you can spend as a bike mech....

Purchased At:   Wheelpro.co.uk

Submitted by cannondalenik a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2015

Strengths:    East to follow, very well described stage by stage build.

Weaknesses:    My wheels have took a beating and are still true... so none!

Bottom Line:
    Great book, used to build 3 wheel-sets so far and just starting my 4th set. Built the wheel truing stand using the plans in the book. Very informative and easy to follow. Have used my wheels for DH, trail, enduro... Even survived antur stiniog in N Wales (notorious bike breaker uplift)

Submitted by clarence phipps a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2015

Strengths:    This book is complete you, like me, have to know nothing to build an outstanding wheel, that is if you follow Rogers instruction I can assure you that if you are interested in wheel building you won't find a better book than this one by Roger Muss

Weaknesses:    To tell you the true, I didn't find any weakness in the instructions for wheel building.

Bottom Line:
    Knowing and using this book, I would buy it again, even at two or three times it's current price. I almost did but Roger was kind enough to reset my user and password (within 1 hour after I emailed him!) to allow me to download another copy after my computer crashed taking my book and logon info with it

Bike Setup:   5 road bikes, 4 are old Iron, 1 is latest carbon fiber

Submitted by Piscator

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Strengths:    Clear, easily understood, comprehensive.

Weaknesses:    The concepts of dishing could be explained more thoroughly, particularly a simple explanation of the fixes required by the indicators provided by the dishing gauge.

Bottom Line:
    I've built and maintained a few wheels over the years, using empirical methods and a variety of information cobbled together from many sources. I wanted a single authoritative source, that was both comprehensive yet understandable. Mr. Musson's book fulfils those requirements perfectly, and, having built the tools to his designs, I have managed to build several wheels which do the job. As I build more, I hope that I'll become more competent.
    If you have any interest in building or maintaining cycle wheels, then this book is a "must have".

Submitted by Colin Carroll a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2015

Strengths:    It is the best book by far

Bottom Line:
    This book sheds light onto the once dark art of wheel building.
    It is the best one out there and I have read quite a few.
    It is written in easy and straight forward language that leads you through the process of building a wheel.

Submitted by Mark Usher a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2015

Strengths:    lots of great info
    Step-by-step build guide
    Easy to follow
    Plans for a wheel building stand
    Recommended tools
    Fantastic value

Bottom Line:
    For anyone that is looking to start building or repairing their own wheels or just wants to understand the principles behind wheel building this is a great little investment. I found the book easy to understand and think it's a great reference to have once you've learnt the skills. You should also be aware that Roger provides free updates whenever a new edition is released.

Submitted by Philip Gamblin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2015

Strengths:    Concise, well illustrated, well written

Weaknesses:    none I have found

Bottom Line:
    Necessity is the mother of invention. When my Trek 7100 starting breaking spokes I had to do the work myself or take my wheel to the not so LBS and wait a week. At 250-270# I figured breaking spokes was a way of life. After breaking several spokes, LBS suggesting new wheel or a complete rebuild. I let them rebuild it,and broke more spokes. I learned later from the book the LBS built the wheel "soft", using spokes that were too long. Last straw. Googled wheel building and found this book.

I knew nothing about wheel building prior buying this book. I still don't know much, but the book has my back.
    I've built several wheels using this book.I built his nipple driver, works great. I don't build wheels frequently, so each time I break out the book. I STRONGLY recommend reading through the entire process. Line up all your materials and tools, set aside 3-4 hours and build a wheel. I only do 3X spoke pattern nothing fancy. I bought the cheapest Minoura Workman truing stand to which I later added a Harbor Freight dial indicator. Now I can build and true a wheel to within a few thousanths of an inch. I've built 5(ish) wheels the most recent was a Dyno Hub that I damaged by running it backward, turns out it has a preferred direction of rotation. Anyhow, I ordered another $40 Sanyo hub from http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ reloaded the book and went to work. My builds have survived 4-5000 miles of Houston potholes. Bottom line get good rims and spokes and build yourself a great set of wheels. I have never used the spoke calculator that is available online. My spoke problems are gone.

Favorite Trail:   where the beer is coldest

Duration Product Used:   7 years

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.3 FX , Brooks B-68 saddle my home built wheels, a DynoHub

Submitted by Tom a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2015

Strengths:    Everything you ever needed to know about wheel building.

Weaknesses:    I now examine everyone's wheels and don't have enough to build :)

Bottom Line:
    I can not recommend this book highly enough! I could always true and dish wheels but was a bit scared about building my own from scratch for fear of them collapsing or buckling badly. I've followed this book to the letter and have now built several sets of wheels for me and my friends. All of them have been perfect and are still going strong. There's something very liberating about being able to swap a smashed EX729 with a new one in a Morzine chalet ready for the next day!

Favorite Trail:   Chatel

Purchased At:   wheelpro

Similar Products Used:   Guesswork

Bike Setup:   Solid strike

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2015

Strengths:    Straightforward, obviously written by someone with heaps of experience, doesn't ask you to go out and buy expensive stuff to get the job done. Complete plans to build a wheel building stand are a bonus.

Bottom Line:
    It's a big step to decide to build your own wheels but if you read this book carefully and go slow it works out great, and hundreds of dollars cheaper - now I know how all those guys are selling wheelsets on the auction site, it's cheap to buy spokes, hubs and rims. Go for it. If you can use a screwdriver you can build a wheel, once you have build one you will never need to buy a built-up wheel again, you will know how to true your wheels, you will be able to spot a badly built wheel.

Submitted by Casey Ford a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2015

Strengths:    Very straight forward. Simple procedures with accurate results.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I have watched videos and read other books, watched others build, etc., and believe Roger's methods are simple to use, accurate in the results, and as good as it gets.

Favorite Trail:   all foothill roads.

Duration Product Used:   years