Roger Musson Wheel Building Book

4.93/5 (186 Reviews)

• Build your own professional quality wheels and save money
  • Tools, components, building, truing, design, spoke lengths, repairing and a wealth of first-hand tips
  • 100 pages size US Letter (A4) and over 65 detailed razor-sharp CAD diagrams and full-colour photos
  • Access my (Roger Musson) complete knowledge

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by clarence phipps a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2015

Strengths:    This book is complete you, like me, have to know nothing to build an outstanding wheel, that is if you follow Rogers instruction I can assure you that if you are interested in wheel building you won't find a better book than this one by Roger Muss

Weaknesses:    To tell you the true, I didn't find any weakness in the instructions for wheel building.

Bottom Line:
    Knowing and using this book, I would buy it again, even at two or three times it's current price. I almost did but Roger was kind enough to reset my user and password (within 1 hour after I emailed him!) to allow me to download another copy after my computer crashed taking my book and logon info with it

Bike Setup:   5 road bikes, 4 are old Iron, 1 is latest carbon fiber

Submitted by Piscator

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2015

Strengths:    Clear, easily understood, comprehensive.

Weaknesses:    The concepts of dishing could be explained more thoroughly, particularly a simple explanation of the fixes required by the indicators provided by the dishing gauge.

Bottom Line:
    I've built and maintained a few wheels over the years, using empirical methods and a variety of information cobbled together from many sources. I wanted a single authoritative source, that was both comprehensive yet understandable. Mr. Musson's book fulfils those requirements perfectly, and, having built the tools to his designs, I have managed to build several wheels which do the job. As I build more, I hope that I'll become more competent.
    If you have any interest in building or maintaining cycle wheels, then this book is a "must have".

Submitted by Colin Carroll a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2015

Strengths:    It is the best book by far

Bottom Line:
    This book sheds light onto the once dark art of wheel building.
    It is the best one out there and I have read quite a few.
    It is written in easy and straight forward language that leads you through the process of building a wheel.

Submitted by Mark Usher a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2015

Strengths:    lots of great info
    Step-by-step build guide
    Easy to follow
    Plans for a wheel building stand
    Recommended tools
    Fantastic value

Bottom Line:
    For anyone that is looking to start building or repairing their own wheels or just wants to understand the principles behind wheel building this is a great little investment. I found the book easy to understand and think it's a great reference to have once you've learnt the skills. You should also be aware that Roger provides free updates whenever a new edition is released.

Submitted by Philip Gamblin a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2015

Strengths:    Concise, well illustrated, well written

Weaknesses:    none I have found

Bottom Line:
    Necessity is the mother of invention. When my Trek 7100 starting breaking spokes I had to do the work myself or take my wheel to the not so LBS and wait a week. At 250-270# I figured breaking spokes was a way of life. After breaking several spokes, LBS suggesting new wheel or a complete rebuild. I let them rebuild it,and broke more spokes. I learned later from the book the LBS built the wheel "soft", using spokes that were too long. Last straw. Googled wheel building and found this book.

I knew nothing about wheel building prior buying this book. I still don't know much, but the book has my back.
    I've built several wheels using this book.I built his nipple driver, works great. I don't build wheels frequently, so each time I break out the book. I STRONGLY recommend reading through the entire process. Line up all your materials and tools, set aside 3-4 hours and build a wheel. I only do 3X spoke pattern nothing fancy. I bought the cheapest Minoura Workman truing stand to which I later added a Harbor Freight dial indicator. Now I can build and true a wheel to within a few thousanths of an inch. I've built 5(ish) wheels the most recent was a Dyno Hub that I damaged by running it backward, turns out it has a preferred direction of rotation. Anyhow, I ordered another $40 Sanyo hub from http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/ reloaded the book and went to work. My builds have survived 4-5000 miles of Houston potholes. Bottom line get good rims and spokes and build yourself a great set of wheels. I have never used the spoke calculator that is available online. My spoke problems are gone.

Favorite Trail:   where the beer is coldest

Duration Product Used:   7 years

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Trek 7.3 FX , Brooks B-68 saddle my home built wheels, a DynoHub

Submitted by Tom a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2015

Strengths:    Everything you ever needed to know about wheel building.

Weaknesses:    I now examine everyone's wheels and don't have enough to build :)

Bottom Line:
    I can not recommend this book highly enough! I could always true and dish wheels but was a bit scared about building my own from scratch for fear of them collapsing or buckling badly. I've followed this book to the letter and have now built several sets of wheels for me and my friends. All of them have been perfect and are still going strong. There's something very liberating about being able to swap a smashed EX729 with a new one in a Morzine chalet ready for the next day!

Favorite Trail:   Chatel

Purchased At:   wheelpro

Similar Products Used:   Guesswork

Bike Setup:   Solid strike

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2015

Strengths:    Straightforward, obviously written by someone with heaps of experience, doesn't ask you to go out and buy expensive stuff to get the job done. Complete plans to build a wheel building stand are a bonus.

Bottom Line:
    It's a big step to decide to build your own wheels but if you read this book carefully and go slow it works out great, and hundreds of dollars cheaper - now I know how all those guys are selling wheelsets on the auction site, it's cheap to buy spokes, hubs and rims. Go for it. If you can use a screwdriver you can build a wheel, once you have build one you will never need to buy a built-up wheel again, you will know how to true your wheels, you will be able to spot a badly built wheel.

Submitted by Casey Ford a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2015

Strengths:    Very straight forward. Simple procedures with accurate results.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I have watched videos and read other books, watched others build, etc., and believe Roger's methods are simple to use, accurate in the results, and as good as it gets.

Favorite Trail:   all foothill roads.

Duration Product Used:   years

Purchased At:   Private party

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   2007 Cervelo R3 with Kingdom Bicycle Wheels (http:/kbwheels.com).

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2015

Strengths:    Clear instructions, well-written, completely applicable, supported by the author

Bottom Line:
    I bought this book last year to help me build my first wheel, a tubeless, wide rim rear wheel for cyclocross. I built the cardboard dishing tool and the wheel.

The wheel has stayed strong and true through a season of racing (and off season commuting).

When I had a question, I emailed Roger and he responded immediately.

Incredible value.

Bike Setup:   Velocity A23 tubeless-ready rim with Ultegra hub

Submitted by Richard Brookes

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2014

Strengths:    Everything you need to know on how to build your own wheels clearly written so just follow what Rodger says and you have your hand built wheels, excellent value and I can't believe I would be able to do it but I have I definitely recommend this book.

Bottom Line:
    This is the best book on cycle wheel building I have come across get a copy you won'regret it.

Submitted by Randonneur

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2014

Strengths:    Very clearly written - no impenetrable jargon - and comprehensive.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any!

Bottom Line:
    The absolute bible. I must have built over thirty wheels using Roger's book and his spoke length calculator and it's worked every time. The book has a lot of educational stuff as well and it just keeps getting better.

Submitted by Tom lemon

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2014

Strengths:    Superb guide , easy to follow and answered every question I had

Bottom Line:
    Loved it. From making my own truing stand and tools , through to building my first wheel .

Submitted by Carl Davis

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    Everything you need to know to build reliable wheels
    Clear and simple explanations
    Provides enough technical background to give an understanding of wheel design and building technique
    Also debunks some wheel-building myths

Bottom Line:
    I bought the 4th edition and used the instructions to make my own truing stand, gauges and tools. Following Roger's instructions, I have built 4 pairs of wheels (two road and two MTB) which have proved to be reliable over several thousand miles and in the case of the MTB wheels, a fair bit of abuse.
    I recently got stuck on spoke lacing for a Shimano disc-braked wheel. I e-mailed Roger who replied quickly, reassured me all was OK and gave me access to a free upgrade to edition 6.02. How good is that?!
    If you are going to build your own wheels - buy this manual, you will not regret it!

Submitted by interested a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2014

Strengths:    Comprehensive and easy to understand wheel building guide. Great illustrations, and good instructions on how to DIY make wheel building tools like a truing stand, nipple holder, dishing tools etc.
    Free upgrades to all future versions. I bought version 3 in 2006, but now have the 6.02 version from 2013. It just keeps on improving.
    Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle Wheel" is the authoritative pioneer work on the subject, but Roger Musson's book is the best book for novice wheel builders.

Weaknesses:    He uses a sloppy and mixed up terminology when it comes to "stress relieving", Jobst Brandt is much clearer and correct on that subject.

Bottom Line:
    A great guide for building bicycle wheels.

Duration Product Used:   8