Roger Musson Wheel Building Book

4.93/5 (177 Reviews)

• Build your own professional quality wheels and save money
  • Tools, components, building, truing, design, spoke lengths, repairing and a wealth of first-hand tips
  • 100 pages size US Letter (A4) and over 65 detailed razor-sharp CAD diagrams and full-colour photos
  • Access my (Roger Musson) complete knowledge

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Richard Brookes

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2014

Strengths:    Everything you need to know on how to build your own wheels clearly written so just follow what Rodger says and you have your hand built wheels, excellent value and I can't believe I would be able to do it but I have I definitely recommend this book.

Bottom Line:
    This is the best book on cycle wheel building I have come across get a copy you won'regret it.

Submitted by Randonneur

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2014

Strengths:    Very clearly written - no impenetrable jargon - and comprehensive.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any!

Bottom Line:
    The absolute bible. I must have built over thirty wheels using Roger's book and his spoke length calculator and it's worked every time. The book has a lot of educational stuff as well and it just keeps getting better.

Submitted by Tom lemon

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2014

Strengths:    Superb guide , easy to follow and answered every question I had

Bottom Line:
    Loved it. From making my own truing stand and tools , through to building my first wheel .

Submitted by Carl Davis

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    Everything you need to know to build reliable wheels
    Clear and simple explanations
    Provides enough technical background to give an understanding of wheel design and building technique
    Also debunks some wheel-building myths

Bottom Line:
    I bought the 4th edition and used the instructions to make my own truing stand, gauges and tools. Following Roger's instructions, I have built 4 pairs of wheels (two road and two MTB) which have proved to be reliable over several thousand miles and in the case of the MTB wheels, a fair bit of abuse.
    I recently got stuck on spoke lacing for a Shimano disc-braked wheel. I e-mailed Roger who replied quickly, reassured me all was OK and gave me access to a free upgrade to edition 6.02. How good is that?!
    If you are going to build your own wheels - buy this manual, you will not regret it!

Submitted by interested a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2014

Strengths:    Comprehensive and easy to understand wheel building guide. Great illustrations, and good instructions on how to DIY make wheel building tools like a truing stand, nipple holder, dishing tools etc.
    Free upgrades to all future versions. I bought version 3 in 2006, but now have the 6.02 version from 2013. It just keeps on improving.
    Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle Wheel" is the authoritative pioneer work on the subject, but Roger Musson's book is the best book for novice wheel builders.

Weaknesses:    He uses a sloppy and mixed up terminology when it comes to "stress relieving", Jobst Brandt is much clearer and correct on that subject.

Bottom Line:
    A great guide for building bicycle wheels.

Duration Product Used:   8

Purchased At:   http://www.wheelpro.

Similar Products Used:   Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle Wheel"

Submitted by Phil

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2014

Strengths:    Its as good as you can get without actually sitting down and learning face to face. Concise and well set out.

Weaknesses:    The end user.

Bottom Line:
    If you can't touch your nose with your finger tip, with your eyes closed then you shouldn't be riding a bike let alone building a wheel. I have not seen another guide like it. Helped me build some beauty sub 1300gram mtb wheels. Strong and true 1.5 years on.

Submitted by James P Kellis

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Strengths:    Concise, easily understood, even by a pea-brain old fart like me.
    The excellent diagrams and photos are the most precise of any of the "how to" books that I have seen.

Bottom Line:
    This book should be on the workbench of every serious bicycle mechanic whether amateur or professional!

Submitted by Marcel

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2014

Strengths:    - clear step by step explanation
    - explains basics without going philosophical
    - down to earth without any marketing ramble as other books

Weaknesses:    - It be cool to be able to buy a printed version
    - online support page has dropped the rim and hub measurements of some models and brands

Bottom Line:
    Best book on wheelbuilding I've encountered so far.

I guides you in simple steps to build your wheel and suddenly voilà there it is, a perfectly built wheel.

Excellent value.

You get book upgrades free.

Submitted by Jorge Del Valle

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2014

Strengths:    Although I've yet to build my first wheels, I've found this book invaluble for ironing out those things that seem to crop up with factory built wheels, ie. correcting tension, why do the spokes ping etc.
    It's a very well written book that demystifies the whole process of wheel building and debunks all the "dark art" myths that bike shops sometimes give you.
    I'm actually looking forward to building my first set of wheels now where as in the past I wouldn't have even contemplated it. Not a book for a complete novice as it does require the reader to be familiar with some basic bike mechanics, although there are plenty of explanations and tips, eg. "measure twice cut once" etc. An excellent book, great value for money and worth having as a reference for bike mechanics even if you aren't going to build a set of wheels.

Weaknesses:    None really, even though it does concentrate on MTB wheels the author explains that all the principles apply to road, track, BMX etc.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent book, recommend this to every bike tech you know.

Submitted by Paul Beckett a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2014

Strengths:    Well written, clearly explained, easy and interesting to read.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a bit more focused on mountain bikes than road wheels.

Bottom Line:
    A really useful ebook that's clearly been put together with a lot of thought. The author's significant experience and confidence in his art really shows through. I've been told all sorts of guff about wheel building from various mechanics and bike shop staff over the years but I now rely solely on this book.
    I've also had a couple of questions pop up as I've been working on different wheels and I've emailed the author who's been very helpful and quick to reply.
    I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in building wheels.

Submitted by David Moorhouse

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2013

Strengths:    Well laid out and clear guide to building your own wheels

Bottom Line:
    I've built many wheels using Roger's guide, the latest being a set for a touring tandem. After a 500km tour over steep hills with luggage they're as straight as the lay they were finished.

Submitted by Maarten Dumon a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2013

Strengths:    There is no other book or website which gave me correct or clear info for calculating spoke length

Weaknesses:    not found

Bottom Line:
    I build my first wheel with this book at my side without any prior experience.
    This book is 100% for everyone wanting to build bicycle wheels even experienced builders are likely to find this book valuable.
    Also there is no other book or website which gave me correct or clear info for calculating spoke length.

Submitted by Ted Peters

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2013

Strengths:    Text, photos, diagrams are extremely well done.
    Free updates.

Weaknesses:    Zip

Bottom Line:
    This book + a few tools + a little patience = beginner with a great set of wheels. No mystery, no fuss. Do it.

Submitted by Jeff a Racer

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2013

Strengths:    Every thing you need.

Bottom Line:
    Follow the directions and your wheels will be solid. Removes all the mystery from wheel building.

Submitted by Opa Getza

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2013

Strengths:    You will find all the details you need (and more) and building chapter is very easy to follow. Outstanding value for money.
    Any questions you might have are answered via e-mail in no time.

Weaknesses:    Can't remember.

Bottom Line:
    I am somewhat handy with the tools and doing all the work on my bike was regular thing except wheel building what was
    sort of black magic to me. Then I bought this book and after few days I was able to build new wheels for my urban commuter. After 2500-3000 km wheels are still perfect and those are only two wheels I ever built.

Wheel building Gods

I am in awe of someone who can build a good wheel:) I am attempting my 1st wheel build......my brain hurts!:eekster: I gathered all the parts and have been dorking around with the front wheel build for way too long.I finally figured out the lacing however it is obvious that the spokes are too long.G ... Read More »

First Time Wheel Building/Spoke Advice

So I've read a few articles and watched a couple of videos on the topic which has given me the misplaced confidence to give it a go :rolleyes: I managed to score some NOS en321 rims for a good price, and will be using some 36 hole Hope Bulb hubs for the build which will benefit from a full bearin ... Read More »

Wheel building q - spoke tensions uneven in a symmetrical pattern round wheel

Hello I built my first wheels a month or two ago, 26" LB carbon rims, DT comps and Hope Pro 2 evo hubs. I used Roger Musson's book and they came out great, managed to get them really true and lovely even spoke tension, no pinging when ridden etc On one ride I buckled the front a bit, and hasti ... Read More »

Building wheel need help picking hubs

Hello, I would like to build a training wheelset for around town. I have some new velocity fusion and deep v rims laying around so figured I would throw something together. I thought I saw there are hubs that are compatible with multiple types of axles. Since my bike has the older type axels and ... Read More »

Wheel building help... Did I just screw up?

So I just laced my first wheel ever and I'm feeling pretty proud of myself... Then I realized I may have mistakenly put the drive-side spokes on non-drive-side and vice versa. DT Swiss and Wheelpro Spokecalc both said my rear wheel needed 287mm DS/288mm NDS. Do I need to I unlace and then r ... Read More »