Roger Musson Wheel Building Book

4.93/5 (181 Reviews)

• Build your own professional quality wheels and save money
  • Tools, components, building, truing, design, spoke lengths, repairing and a wealth of first-hand tips
  • 100 pages size US Letter (A4) and over 65 detailed razor-sharp CAD diagrams and full-colour photos
  • Access my (Roger Musson) complete knowledge

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tom a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2015

Strengths:    Everything you ever needed to know about wheel building.

Weaknesses:    I now examine everyone's wheels and don't have enough to build :)

Bottom Line:
    I can not recommend this book highly enough! I could always true and dish wheels but was a bit scared about building my own from scratch for fear of them collapsing or buckling badly. I've followed this book to the letter and have now built several sets of wheels for me and my friends. All of them have been perfect and are still going strong. There's something very liberating about being able to swap a smashed EX729 with a new one in a Morzine chalet ready for the next day!

Favorite Trail:   Chatel

Purchased At:   wheelpro

Similar Products Used:   Guesswork

Bike Setup:   Solid strike

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2015

Strengths:    Straightforward, obviously written by someone with heaps of experience, doesn't ask you to go out and buy expensive stuff to get the job done. Complete plans to build a wheel building stand are a bonus.

Bottom Line:
    It's a big step to decide to build your own wheels but if you read this book carefully and go slow it works out great, and hundreds of dollars cheaper - now I know how all those guys are selling wheelsets on the auction site, it's cheap to buy spokes, hubs and rims. Go for it. If you can use a screwdriver you can build a wheel, once you have build one you will never need to buy a built-up wheel again, you will know how to true your wheels, you will be able to spot a badly built wheel.

Submitted by Casey Ford a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2015

Strengths:    Very straight forward. Simple procedures with accurate results.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I have watched videos and read other books, watched others build, etc., and believe Roger's methods are simple to use, accurate in the results, and as good as it gets.

Favorite Trail:   all foothill roads.

Duration Product Used:   years

Purchased At:   Private party

Similar Products Used:   Lots

Bike Setup:   2007 Cervelo R3 with Kingdom Bicycle Wheels (http:/kbwheels.com).

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2015

Strengths:    Clear instructions, well-written, completely applicable, supported by the author

Bottom Line:
    I bought this book last year to help me build my first wheel, a tubeless, wide rim rear wheel for cyclocross. I built the cardboard dishing tool and the wheel.

The wheel has stayed strong and true through a season of racing (and off season commuting).

When I had a question, I emailed Roger and he responded immediately.

Incredible value.

Bike Setup:   Velocity A23 tubeless-ready rim with Ultegra hub

Submitted by Richard Brookes

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2014

Strengths:    Everything you need to know on how to build your own wheels clearly written so just follow what Rodger says and you have your hand built wheels, excellent value and I can't believe I would be able to do it but I have I definitely recommend this book.

Bottom Line:
    This is the best book on cycle wheel building I have come across get a copy you won'regret it.

Submitted by Randonneur

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2014

Strengths:    Very clearly written - no impenetrable jargon - and comprehensive.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any!

Bottom Line:
    The absolute bible. I must have built over thirty wheels using Roger's book and his spoke length calculator and it's worked every time. The book has a lot of educational stuff as well and it just keeps getting better.

Submitted by Tom lemon

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2014

Strengths:    Superb guide , easy to follow and answered every question I had

Bottom Line:
    Loved it. From making my own truing stand and tools , through to building my first wheel .

Submitted by Carl Davis

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    Everything you need to know to build reliable wheels
    Clear and simple explanations
    Provides enough technical background to give an understanding of wheel design and building technique
    Also debunks some wheel-building myths

Bottom Line:
    I bought the 4th edition and used the instructions to make my own truing stand, gauges and tools. Following Roger's instructions, I have built 4 pairs of wheels (two road and two MTB) which have proved to be reliable over several thousand miles and in the case of the MTB wheels, a fair bit of abuse.
    I recently got stuck on spoke lacing for a Shimano disc-braked wheel. I e-mailed Roger who replied quickly, reassured me all was OK and gave me access to a free upgrade to edition 6.02. How good is that?!
    If you are going to build your own wheels - buy this manual, you will not regret it!

Submitted by interested a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2014

Strengths:    Comprehensive and easy to understand wheel building guide. Great illustrations, and good instructions on how to DIY make wheel building tools like a truing stand, nipple holder, dishing tools etc.
    Free upgrades to all future versions. I bought version 3 in 2006, but now have the 6.02 version from 2013. It just keeps on improving.
    Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle Wheel" is the authoritative pioneer work on the subject, but Roger Musson's book is the best book for novice wheel builders.

Weaknesses:    He uses a sloppy and mixed up terminology when it comes to "stress relieving", Jobst Brandt is much clearer and correct on that subject.

Bottom Line:
    A great guide for building bicycle wheels.

Duration Product Used:   8

Purchased At:   http://www.wheelpro.

Similar Products Used:   Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle Wheel"

Submitted by Phil

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2014

Strengths:    Its as good as you can get without actually sitting down and learning face to face. Concise and well set out.

Weaknesses:    The end user.

Bottom Line:
    If you can't touch your nose with your finger tip, with your eyes closed then you shouldn't be riding a bike let alone building a wheel. I have not seen another guide like it. Helped me build some beauty sub 1300gram mtb wheels. Strong and true 1.5 years on.

Submitted by James P Kellis

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Strengths:    Concise, easily understood, even by a pea-brain old fart like me.
    The excellent diagrams and photos are the most precise of any of the "how to" books that I have seen.

Bottom Line:
    This book should be on the workbench of every serious bicycle mechanic whether amateur or professional!

Submitted by Marcel

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2014

Strengths:    - clear step by step explanation
    - explains basics without going philosophical
    - down to earth without any marketing ramble as other books

Weaknesses:    - It be cool to be able to buy a printed version
    - online support page has dropped the rim and hub measurements of some models and brands

Bottom Line:
    Best book on wheelbuilding I've encountered so far.

I guides you in simple steps to build your wheel and suddenly voilà there it is, a perfectly built wheel.

Excellent value.

You get book upgrades free.

Submitted by Jorge Del Valle

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2014

Strengths:    Although I've yet to build my first wheels, I've found this book invaluble for ironing out those things that seem to crop up with factory built wheels, ie. correcting tension, why do the spokes ping etc.
    It's a very well written book that demystifies the whole process of wheel building and debunks all the "dark art" myths that bike shops sometimes give you.
    I'm actually looking forward to building my first set of wheels now where as in the past I wouldn't have even contemplated it. Not a book for a complete novice as it does require the reader to be familiar with some basic bike mechanics, although there are plenty of explanations and tips, eg. "measure twice cut once" etc. An excellent book, great value for money and worth having as a reference for bike mechanics even if you aren't going to build a set of wheels.

Weaknesses:    None really, even though it does concentrate on MTB wheels the author explains that all the principles apply to road, track, BMX etc.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent book, recommend this to every bike tech you know.

Submitted by Paul Beckett a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2014

Strengths:    Well written, clearly explained, easy and interesting to read.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a bit more focused on mountain bikes than road wheels.

Bottom Line:
    A really useful ebook that's clearly been put together with a lot of thought. The author's significant experience and confidence in his art really shows through. I've been told all sorts of guff about wheel building from various mechanics and bike shop staff over the years but I now rely solely on this book.
    I've also had a couple of questions pop up as I've been working on different wheels and I've emailed the author who's been very helpful and quick to reply.
    I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone interested in building wheels.

Submitted by David Moorhouse

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2013

Strengths:    Well laid out and clear guide to building your own wheels

Bottom Line:
    I've built many wheels using Roger's guide, the latest being a set for a touring tandem. After a 500km tour over steep hills with luggage they're as straight as the lay they were finished.