Kinley RX DISC Older XC Hardtail

Brakes: Hayes Sole V6 Disc Semi – Hydraulic
F/R Derailleur: Shimano XT

Submitted by Connor Pogemiller a Cross Country Rider from Kirksville

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing Value, Shimano XT throughout, J2 fork far exceeded my expectations, really really strong frame, heavenly customer service, easy set up. I have been searching for a bike for FOREVER, and when I was on mtbr.com and found there dinky little add, I about passed out! This is by far the best bike for the money you can possibbly get! I was really reluctant to buy online, but man was it worth it! The XT's work flawlessly, I was so surprised with how they shifted, it just overall made me ride better. I was also very surprised at the fork. It has been great! Has soaked up all the little bumps and taken the big hits without any complaint at all. I thought that the fork was going to need to be the first thing to be upgraded, but pleased to say it wont. The frame is very, very, sturdy, and the cockpit is set up well. The customer service is absolutely amazing!!! The first time I called, the owner picked up the phone! He was extremely helpful and patient with my questions. And last but not least, the incredible ease of set up. You pull it out of the box, put the front wheel on, slap on the handlebars, push in the seatpost, and screw in the pedals. Took me maybe 15 minutes maximum!! BUT REMEMBER YOU WILL HAVE TO ADJUST IT, IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW, TAKE IT TO A BIKE SHOP!

Weaknesses:    I wouldnt really call it a weakness, but the weakEST part of the whole set up are the brakes. They arent bad as some other reviews have mentioned, but not great. And, this isnt a weakness, more of a preferance, but the tires could have more traction, but they were made for being very quick, which sacrifices traction.

Bottom Line:
The best deal you will find anywhere!!! Go ahead, go to your bike shop and test all the crappy bikes, with the Manitou Axels, Shimano Aceras, and super flimsy componentry. As the guy below me said, "Do not be afraid of, there has to be a catch, or its too good to be true" its simply amazing. For my birthday I plan on making some changes though, to make it perfect, and so it never has to be upgraded again. I am going to get a Fox Vanilla RLC, a pair of Avid BB7's, and some new tires for added traction and braking.

THE REAL BOTTOM LINE: If you want to spend $600 on a bike that would literally cost you twice as much, be in bike heaven, and have a blast without any worries, go for Kinley. Help this amazing company get the credit and publicity they deserve, buy a Kinley!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   KinleyBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Completely stock, right out of the box. Great, great, great package straight out of the box.

Submitted by Michel Poirier from Mont Tremblant QC Canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2007

Strengths:    Don't be weary of "there's got to be a catch" or it's too good to be true" with this bike.
Unbeatable bike for the money. Kinley delivers a sturdy well built frame equipped with shimano XT front and back and RockShox J2 with lock out well below the $1000 price range making this bike an exceptional value. It climbs well and handles remarkably on any XC terrain. Once assembled and adjusted it exceeded my expectations. Kinley will call or email back if you have any customer service issue, in my case I was picking up the bike in Florida and contacted them in order to schedule my pick up.

Weaknesses:    None for the price range. The bike weigh 30lbs for a 19, much heavier than the Motobecane Phantom Comp 18 but it make up for it in strength of frame.
Other reviews commented negatively on the Hayes Sole brakes, in my case, once they were properly adjusted (needed) they worked fine. I do however prefer low end mechanical brakes (Avid BB) over low end hydraulics. Make sure to completely adjust the bike (or have a professional do it) before you take your first ride. The wheel hubs were screwed too tight, so again make sure to have the bike professionally assembled if needed.

Bottom Line:
Amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Kinley again.
I have yet to find anything that compares in both pricing and value. Best bike I've found for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Tremblant

Purchased At:   Kinley .com

Similar Products Used:   Motobecane Phantom Comp ordered online
Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Bike Setup:   As shipped, just added my shimano SPD's

Submitted by Ho-Jong Wong from Fairfax, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    Good components (XT front and rear derailleur, Deore shifters, hydraulic disc brakes), good looks

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This was my first "real" mountain bike. I took a risk with ordering a bike online, but I am cheap, haha. The components on this are much better than anything I would have found at the local bike shop for the same price. Customer support is great. Kinley initially accidentally sent me a 17" frame (I ordered a 19") but after a quick phone call (the owner of Kinley answers the phone), this was sorted out and I received the correct bike about a week later. Small setback, but I'm satisfied with the bike. I'll probably upgrade the Judy J2 fork later.

Purchased At:   kinleybikes.com

Bike Setup:   Stock, except I switched the saddle with an E3 Gel from Performance BIke

Submitted by RON FREEMAN a Weekend Warrior from Champlain, NY

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Good quality components (including XT)and quality frame. Hydraulic Disc Brakes. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE !!

Weaknesses:    You have to be prepared to do some minimal adjustments.

Bottom Line:
I investigated many bicycles. I only do a little bit of mountain trails and wanted a bicycle that was well built and had quality components. After much investigation I purchased the Kinley. The bicycle arrived exactly as scheduled. The bicycle was really well packed with plastic protectors, cardboard protectors and additional protection. The assembly is very easy and reminds me of what had to be done when I took a bicycle on an airplane. The assembly consists of putting on the handlebars (which already have the brakes, shifters etc... mounted), putting on the pedals and the front wheel. The bicycle has a sleek look (I bought the black color). All in all I am very happy with my purchase. I bought a very good lock since this bike is sure to catch the eyes of thieves. The bicycle rides smooth and all of the components seem to be quite well matched. Maybe I will upgrade a few things some time in the future, but for now everything is just great !!

Purchased At:   Internet Direct