Jamis Ranger SX Older XC Hardtail

2.2/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 32 lbs

Tapered aluminum main tubes put extra material where you need the strength, while keeping the overall structure light and responsive. And a replaceable derailleur hanger ensures your investment in lightweight aluminum is money well spent. SRAM trigger shifters make quick work out of selecting each of the 24 gears, with a low-maintenance 50mm-travel fork and direct-pull brakes emphasizing comfort and control.

Submitted by Van...

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2012

Strengths:    The frame is as solid as they come.

Weaknesses:    Front shocks did bottom out alot.

Bottom Line:
Over all, this is a great buy for the money. I bought mine in 2004 to replace a specialized. I have riden it hard since then. I just had a complete makeover on the bike this month. I know it was well overdue. Bottom line, if you take care of it, it will last. I would put it up against the higher priced bikes anyday as far as toughness. I really enjoy the Ranger. I'm gonna hold on to it for a while longer.

Submitted by bi11y H4mburger a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2010

Strengths:    This bike will never break on you! Its built tough and is great for its price. Its lightweight frame is perfect for beginners, as I have had mine for four years. Great breaks, and amazing looks

Weaknesses:    I had to replace the crank because it started stripping away. The petals are cheap and you feet will slip off.
The shocks are awful, bottoming out all of the time.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for beginners and looks cool too. For the price they didn't really skimp on components. Again, shocks bottom out a lot and petals are cheap. Avid and skilled, young riders should avoid this and get a more expensive hard tail. Its worth the money. Jamis makes great bikes and I will always buy my bikes from them.

Favorite Trail:   Chickopee

Purchased At:   Brauns Kitchener

Similar Products Used:   AMS Pro Line

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by AMD a Cross Country Rider from South Bend, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Not cheap enough for the very poor quality

Bottom Line:
Essentially the worst bike of all time. I've been through three bottom bracket assemblies and two frames (replaced under warrenty, but clearly, that's not the point). The stock brakes are crap, the brakes arms are Al, but the spring mechanism/adjustment is plastic. Expect to get two adjustments out of it before stripping and replacement is required. I just went to replace the brakes this afternoon, and discovered that that pin had bent, wearing the hole very wide, essentially ending the effective life of frame #3, as new brakes can no longer be installed. I'm stripping everything worth saving and selling for scrap. Nothing I am saving was original on the bike. Don't ever consider this bike. I would stay away Jamis all together.

Purchased At:   Proform

Similar Products Used:   Raliegh

Bike Setup:   Ranger SX 2.0, numerous customizations as various components have failed...

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Downingtown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, looks good

Weaknesses:    poor quality parts

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike (the 2006 model) last June to replace my old mountain bike. The trail I ride is fairly easy as it is mostly paved and gravel. Towards the end of May of this year, I started noticing a clicking coming from the crank and knew it had to be the bearings going. Since I don't have the tools to take it apart, I took the bike into the shop where I was told the bottom bracket was completely destroyed. They guy said I could replace it with the same one for about $15, or put a higher quality sealed bracket in for $32. I went with the better quality one and am hoping it will last longer than a year. My friend has a Jamis Dakar (don't know which one) and he is also getting noise from the crank.

I could give the bike the benefit of the doubt and say there are some pretty challenging uphills along my route, but my $89 department store bike lasted for 10 years before the bearings needed replaced. It's also worth mentioning that for 9 of the past 12 months my bike was at school with me where I just used it for flat riding round town. So really the bottom bracket was destroyed with only three months of moderate use.

Then about a week ago I took my bike out for another ride and couldn't downshift the back gears. It was working perfectly when I returned from my last ride, so it must have bumped something the wrong way in the garage to mess up the internals of the shifter. So I took the shifter apart to see if I could find anything. Well I had never taken a trigger type shifter apart, and couldn't get it back together, so back into the shop it went. The guys were able to fix it, though the number plate no longer indicates the gear, but that's not a real big problem.

I took this bike on the 2007 American Cancer Society bike-a-thon which was a 70 mile ride and didn't have any problems with it. However I was specifically looking for other Jamis bikes. There were over 5,500 riders and of the bikes I did see, only two others had a Jamis.

Purchased At:   Loweriders

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    Inexpensive. Decent Looking bike.

Weaknesses:    Cheap components, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
Well, this bike was cool when I first started riding, but then I started taking it to Walnut Creek here in Austin, and since then not many of the components have stayed on long. I broke my pedals after month one. I replaced my bottom bracket after about month three. I upgraded my bottom bracket about a month later. And when i took my bike in for a tune up, the techs noticed that my rear wheel had a lot of resistance. Come to find out, I burnt the crap out of my rear hub.

Like I said, it was a good bike till I started pushing it's limits, now i've probably spent at least another hundred replacing parts that broke. Some were under warranty and I'm gettin good discounts on everything else so it doesn't sound like much, but it could have been worse. I still like the bike. And when I do upgrade, I plan on keeping it for week day riding when I don't do anything to harsh to it.

Favorite Trail:   Walnut Creek

Purchased At:   University Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Shimano 520 clipless, new dimensions stem that I have yet to try, low end sealed bearing BB, cheap ergon looking grips.