Hydrapak Tracker Older Water Carriers

3.5/5 (14 Reviews)

Fashion panache with practicality to spare. On the town or on the trail, the Tracker shines. The elastic sternum strap makes for a snug and comfortable fit without feeling restrictive. A pump sleeve keeps storage areas organized and prevents bag jumble.
  • Fluid Capacity: 70 fl oz/2,070ml.
  • Bag Capacity: 140 inches 3/2.3 liters

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Kameron Smith a Weekend Warrior from Spokane Washington

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2004

Strengths:    Style, Quality, cargo capicity, ease of cleaning, does everything advertised to do!

Weaknesses:    Funky aftertaste at first, hose kind of long.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome pack it does everything it was supposed to do right off the rack and i got it at a great price too (fall closeouts). People complain of leakage but i dont get any from mine not even with the mouthpiece unlocked. It holds 2 Co2 canisters a small pump a patch kit my crank brothers multi 17 tool my wallet my inhailor and my keys plus a energy bar but thats a squeeze. Awesome pack buy it!

Favorite Trail:   The Bluff

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   CamelBak Cloud Walker

Bike Setup:   97' Giant Sedona (when the Sedona was a Mtn. Bike) with various upgrades

Submitted by Drako DrackoNezz a Cross Country Rider from Bogota, Colombia

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Well cargo space, good straps fixing

Weaknesses:    Bagger is very very very weak, and it starts leaking from the base

Bottom Line:
    This is a very nice faced water carrier, has lots of cargo space and a hook to keep the keys in its site. Enough space to keep tools and a mini pump.
    I bought it because a friend of mine recommend me to do it, but now I have to "hate" my friend... the bagger starts leaking a couple of weeks ago.. and leakage is increasing every time.. so I have to change the bagger.. the problem is.. bagger is not available here.. so I have to buy a Camelbak bagger....or buy a NEW CAMELBAK.
    If you need performance on the trail.. do not buy a TRACKER.. it leaks and leakts.. leakage had damaged my cell phone.......

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak

Bike Setup:   Wheeler 3900

Submitted by HighLife a Weekend Warrior from Plantation

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, small and compact, nice amount of cargo space.

Weaknesses:    LEAKS LEAKS, oh did i forget to mention it LEAKS.

Even when its filled 3/4 way, it still has the pack STUFFed. Hard to get stuff out of the pcokets when filled.

Bottom Line:
    Well after the first ride i noticed i was wearing more water then drinking. I quickly cut off the hose and vavle that they provided and bought a Camelbak hose with the bite vavle. NO MORE LEAKS NOW. Its a ok pak, got its ups and LOTS of downs. I wouldnt buy any other products from them due to the leaking. Its not just this pak either. Ive seen everyone with them say the same thing. Would be great if it didnt leak.

Favorite Trail:   Markham, Oleta, Quietwaters

Purchased At:   Downtown Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None, first hydration pack

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M-80 mostly stock with EA70 Easton handlebars

Submitted by Keiron a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    - pricepoint
    - easyclean bladder
    - velcro drinking tube QR holder
    - build quality

Weaknesses:    - availability

Bottom Line:
    This unit is and does exactly what its advertising claims. ie: Don't buy a Tracker if you really need a Delta or Keg, or if you really want a Camelbak.

Judging from the inconsistant end user reports here re malfunction of the "gulp valve" which appears to be the primary complaint of Hydrapak detractors, it's reasonable to conclude that there was almost certainly a production fault with a batch of Hydrapack bite valves. Fortunately for me it appears to have since been addressed, though not before seriously maligning upon Hydrapak's reputation and subsequent word of mouth popularity. Perhaps adding some rebalance and perspective, as several others have reported here, mine has worked perfectly from the outset and the gulp valve neither drips or leaks.

I can't find fault with its overall construction quality either. Fit and comfort particularly both rate 5 chilis. It is light on stowage space, but no more so than its advertising claims which is the compromise for a light and compact pack. Nevertheless I find I can carry the 2 litre hydration fill and there's still room for my basic tool & patch kit, a pump or Vistalite nightstick, mobile phone and wallet/keys/sunglasses. I can also manage a spare tube under the bungee, along with a light sweater at a bit of a stretch.

This nugget is tough too. I've lost count of the number of times I've fallen off on it and it's acted as my 'water cushion'. The easy clean bladder is robust and seals simply, easily and effectively. It doesn't even leak when stored lying down in the refrigerator overnight. I particularly like its wide neck closure rather than screw cap for both ease of cleaning and filling, although it does mean you have to partially remove the bladder for refilling in the field. I don't find this an issue.

Overall I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Hydrapak Tracker to anyone looking for a light and compact, value for money hydration pack for shorter rides where you just don't need to take along the kitchen sink. I've been so impressed by the Tracker, I've recently ordered a second Hydrapack, a Delta, for those longer range trips where I want to take along even more water and a cut lunch. Not to slur Camelbak's products which also perform well, but my experience of Hydrapak is that they offer comparative performance at a much better pricepoint which means I can have two different packs each suited perfectly to purpose for less than the price of the equivalent Camelbak.

Similar Products Used:   Camelbak Lobo, MULE

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana se, +M424 clipless, +Enduro 2 'puter

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Toronto Ontario

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    -comfortable
    -cheap

Weaknesses:    -the valve leaks all over the place

Bottom Line:
    great price but and everything on it works except the bite valve. it leaks like a sieve. makes the pack useless unless you enjoy taking showers while you ride. im taking it back today and going to MEC. Thought i could get away with not paying throught the roof for a camalbak, but i guess not.
    Im giving it crap marks overall because ecen though its an otherwise solid pack, the bite valve thing is unacceptable.

Purchased At:   velotique

Similar Products Used:   camalbak

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from st.louis, mo

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Strengths:    light, comfortable, convenient, stylish or thats what all the ads say. does that even matter?

Weaknesses:    took a while to get used to the mouth piece.
    I ordered the silver one thinking it would be umm silver? but was actually duct tape gray, but who cares I'm still stylin right?

Bottom Line:
    People, this pack does exactly what its supposed to, it holds 2.3 liters of water with enough storage space for a t-shirt and your keys. If you want more storage then buy a different pack. If the hose is too long then cut it. When hopping around on my bike the pack will kind of pull my shirt up my back exposing my under garments, no worries I just started wearing colorful boxers. Bottom line, go buy it. I like my pack, its cheap, I am the trail fashion master, and it works.

Purchased At:   price point.com

Similar Products Used:   water bottles

Bike Setup:   nope, it doesnt have a kick stand

Submitted by tom from bc

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2001

Strengths:    -holds a lot of water
    -very comfortable
    -good price
    -looks good

Weaknesses:    not a lot of storage space every one says the hose is too long but thats easy u just take it off and cut it to the length u want its better to have it long so u can adjust it then to have it too short

Bottom Line:
    this is a great and comfortable pak but the storage is really small but it holds a lot of water i think its a pretty good pak for the price its really cheap but i wouldnt buy it again id buy something bigger with more space and for all the people complaining that the hose is too long all u do is pu it under hot water for the plastic to expand then u take it off and cut it to the length u want that all there is to it.

Purchased At:   caps

Submitted by andy holak a Cross Country Rider from duluth, mn usa

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    -fit and comfort
    -water capacity; carries a lot of water
    -small size for running
    -bite valve worked great
    -enough storage capacity for long trail runs 3-5 hours; but not too much that you put too much in the pack
    -quality construction
    -large opening for cleaning and filling
    -quickdraw hose attachment

Weaknesses:    -hose actually a bit short!
    -a little bit time consuming to re-fill
    -chest strap way to small

Bottom Line:
    Great pack for trail running! It rode nicely on my back with no bounce while running - even when full to the brim. The pack just swayed a LITTLE bit. Ran out of water afer about 3.5 hours running pretty hard on rough, hilly trails. I could carry enough stuff in the cargo space to get by easily and could store a short or jacket in the bungee cord set-up on the outside of the pack. Worked great for running!

Purchased At:   Campmor

Bike Setup:   Hey, I'm a trail runner, though I do have a GT Karakorum - about 8 years old!

Submitted by jimbob a Weekend Warrior from lombard il

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    it doesn't leak
    great water capacity
    the pack itself doesnt move that much

Weaknesses:    bite valve sucks
    hose is about 6 to 8 inches too looooooooonnggg

Bottom Line:
    its an ok pack as long as you don't need to carry more than two energy barsand a dollar in change or less forget about real food unless theres no water in the bladder

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Ric Singh a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Strengths:    Looks cool, fits well

Weaknesses:    The gulp valve leaks like crazy:

I used it once and within the first five minutes I turned around and dropped it back at home because I was soaked with water. Tried adjusting the valve including locking the poppet but nothing worked.

Storage is a bit small:

Okay for some small tools etc but it could have been a bit bigger. But I guess it is just made for water so I shouldn't complain too much.

Bottom Line:
    Nice looking pack if you like to make a fashion statement on the trail :o) I wouldn't buy it again due to the leaking valve. My bike shop offered to change the valve on mine but I declined. It seems that most reviews I've seen on here for Hydrapak stuff seems to have a similar problem. I went and bought a pack from MEC and its a much more simple design. It has way more space and is more functional.

I would not buy this product again due to the leaking valve, and also that my shop told me that Hydrapak is now out of business.

Favorite Trail:   Station Flats - Kananaskis Country

Purchased At:   The Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Hydration Platypus from Mountain Equipment Co-op

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant ATX 840 w/ LX front derailleur, Hayes mechanical disc brake, and soon to have Bomber forks and raceface cranks.

Submitted by Donald a Weekend Warrior from Florida USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight
    Storage Capacity
    Size
    Holds on for dear life
    70 oz. bladder

Weaknesses:    Plastic Taste
    Leaks from Bite valve
    LOOOOOOOONNNNGGGG Hose

Bottom Line:
    This pak is great!! It holds up to 70 oz. of water, keeps it cold for hours (except what's in the loooonnng tube), has plenty of storage space (i can carry my car keys, powerbars, cash, pump, toolkit and more, and still have room), which by the way velcros super tight, is very secure (the waist/sternum strap combo helps), and even filled with water, is still incredibly light. I use this pack every time I ride and i usually forget it's there (until I'm thirsty). And that's where the complaints are. There is a residual plastic taste (that for all I know all paks have), but you get used to it. Seems most people have also noted the loooonnnnggggg tube that comes with it. Basically it's about 8 inches to long and will stick out of the pak if you don't tuck it in. Now this can be a problem if you ride single track vegetable gardens, because your going to end up bringing home a christmas tree, if it doesnt take you off the bike first. But according to the manual, the tube can be removed for cleaning, so I would imagine you could just cut it and re-attach, but again, this is something the manufacturer should have thought of. Would I buy it again? Probably not, I'd try a different pak next time.....ride safe

Favorite Trail:   ones without excess gravitational pull