Hydrapak Overflow Older Water Carriers

3.87/5 (31 Reviews)

Seize The Day. A half dozen storage compartments and 100-ounces of cool, expedition-strength hydration -- time to burn a sick day. Whatever your definition of ‘long ride,’ the Overflow’s expandable cargo pocket means you’ve got the right pack. Adjustable, removable waist belt adjust up or down to fit your torso perfectly.
  • Fluid Capacity: 100 fl oz/2,957ml.
  • Bag Capacity: 420 inches 3/6.9 liters

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to use. Easy to clean. The bladder conveniently turns inside out for cleaning. You don’t have to purchase special brushes or hangers to clean and dry the bladder. Wide opening at the top makes filling a breeze. There is no need for specially shaped ice cube trays or funnels for adding powders. It is very durable. I have endoed a couple of times landing directly on the pack and it hasn’t leaked a drop. I used it on a 200 mile ride last year and had enough room to cary everything I needed (support vehicle carried luggage). If you need to carry alot with you, the weight of a plastic zipper is not a big deal.

Weaknesses:    The bite valve (older model with blue mouthpiece) was a big problem shortly after I purchased it. I replaced it with a different type of valve and it has worked great since. Also, I have the older model (2001/2002???) and I would like to have a quickly accessible medium sized pocket in addition to the huge compartment and deep pockets that my version has. The 2003 model has added such storage.

Bottom Line:
    The Hydrapak Overflow is a great pack that is comfortable to wear, has good storage space, is durable, and is priced very competitively.

Favorite Trail:   Yes

Purchased At:   http://www.performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   GT iDrive 4.0 stock except XT hubs & derailleur and Mavic x618 rims.

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Charlottesville, VA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    holds everything you need

Weaknesses:    bladder is awkward at best. also, the top pinches shut and makes it difficult to clean.

Bottom Line:
    While the pack holds a good bit of gear, food, and water, the bladder is difficult to clean. However, it doesn't leak. Also, while the zippers down the sides allow the user to increase the effective holding capacity of the pack, it just adds unnecessary weight.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat

Similar Products Used:   water bottle

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Aiken SC

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    Great flexability, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    That damn bite valve that you use your tounge to push leaks really badly. but called price point had a replacement bite valve in a weeks time. also hydrapak was willing to replace it at no cost

Bottom Line:
    its great for the money. i have had no problems other then the bite valve which is fixed so there are no problems. i have used it for everything from riding to playing disc golf with my buddies. id rather pay for this and get the same quality that you get from a camelbak.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   camelbak

Submitted by Pete a Weekend Warrior from Clearwater

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Strengths:    -Holds ample amount of fluid
    -Stylish appearance
    -Plenty of room for items such as power bar, spare tube, keys
    -Price (great value)

Weaknesses:    None to speak of now (explained below)

Bottom Line:
    This review is actually a follow up to a previous one. I have used this product for quite some time and although the leaky valve was not a major issue, it was still an issue. I must say that speaking with a representative at Hydrapak, they were willing to do whatever it took to rectify the situation. This great customer service is one other reason that I would recommend buying Hydrapak products over other brands. I know have a product that is not equal but better than their competitors and at a much better price making this product an exceptional value.

As stated in my earlier review, this product deserves 5 chilis in both value and overall rating, but their customer service/support is exceptional which completes the package and makes Hydrapak and exceptional purchase.

(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated, nor do I work for Hydrapak. I am just very pleased that for once, I bought a product that a company is willing to stand behind and make right.)

Favorite Trail:   Alifia

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Bike Setup:   2001 GT Avalanche 2.0

Submitted by Sebastien a Cross Country Rider from Boisbriand,QC,Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    lot of watter 2.75 l
    easy fit off staps the bag does not move in enny ryding position
    lot of space to bring pump,power bars,emergency kit etc.
    can compress when you have minimun watter and stuff

Weaknesses:    the valve was leaking at the begening but stoped by it self
    after a while

Bottom Line:
    I was allwais running out of watter on rides longer than an hour now I never goes without it even when I do hiking

Favorite Trail:   multy function no 5 Portneuf QC

Purchased At:   A Vincent Joliette

Bike Setup:   Giant atx 840 2001

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Strengths:    -Holds enough water and tools to go all day
    -Fits good
    -Chest & Waist straps help distribute the weight

Weaknesses:    -Leaky Bite Valve

Bottom Line:
    This is a great pack. I had a HydraPak Delta but I found that it didn't have enough room for all my junk. I bought the Overflow and now I can carry enough for all my big epics and its light enough to use on shorter rides ( but I still carry a bottle and small seatbag on short, under 15km, rides). My only complaint is that the bite valve did leak but this was easily fixed by taking my old one frommy Delta and putting it on the Overflow, now it kicks ass. Forget CamelBak, save some $$$ and get a HydraPak.

Favorite Trail:   Tobacco Town Trail System

Purchased At:   www.ramsays-online.com

Similar Products Used:   HydraPak Delta

Bike Setup:   Barracuda A2R, LX/XTR, Judy SL, Michelin tires, lots more.

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from New Braunfels, TX

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    pockets- pump, keys, and one big one for just about everything
    resevoir- the EasyClean design makes it easy to put ice in it (crushed or cubes only)
    customizable

Weaknesses:    bite valve- little water flow and too complicated

Bottom Line:
    The bite valve, though it has the advantage of closing, is pretty worthless so I just replaced it with one from my old camelbak-

Purchased At:   campmor

Similar Products Used:   camelbak

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 3000

Submitted by Ron a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Strengths:    Good value, quality, holds lots of water and easy to clean.

Weaknesses:    Valve leaked

Bottom Line:
    I too had a gulp valve that constantly leaked even if it was locked. I noticed on their web site that they had a new bite valve and emailed them to see if I could get a new one as the old valve leaked. They promptly sent me the new bite valve which is much better than the gulp valve. It doesn't leak and I find it much easier to drink out of. Instead of pushing that thing in with your tongue, you simply bite the valve and it delivers lots of water.

Submitted by Garry Simard a Cross Country Rider from Wawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    sleek design, not too bulky, good attention to detail, excellent value

Weaknesses:    higher c of g takes a little getting used to on steep drops

Bottom Line:
    My gulp valve leaked badly from the start. Customer service replaced it quickly and it's worked perfectly since.
    A great setup for long rides. Very comfortable to wear.

Purchased At:   ramsays-online.com

Submitted by Stan a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    Fluid capacity, storage capacity, expandable.

Weaknesses:    LEAKS!!!

Bottom Line:
    The valve design is poor. The spring-loaded plunger is inside a plastic housing that may not be sealed very well. I know how to lock the valve (I can read), but it still leaks. I own 2 different hydra-pak, one went about 6 months before leaking, the other leaked from day one. Hydra-pak has another type of bite valve that you can order for about $10. But now you are approaching CamelBak prices.
    The paks are just as good, if not better, as any on the market. And the bladder is a whole lot easier to clean than a CamelBak’s, but the leaking problem just can’t be overlooked

Favorite Trail:   Silver Comet

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Hydra-pak Bullet, BlLackburn

Bike Setup:   Klein Quantum Race, specialized Hardrock

Submitted by Chris Dusack a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Strengths:    Price, ease of use. Easy to clean. Adequate storage. Bite valve works well. Back is molded to allow air to flow. Great warranty service. Good waist and chest strap, which are both removable.

Weaknesses:    Short tube.

Bottom Line:
    Great pak. I've had zero problems with the bite valve leaking. Hyrdapak has a great lifetime warranty. This pak was actually a warrantied pak for my previous one that had a tearing strap. I also have recently received a new bladdder as my old one leaked. I ride 2- 3 times a week for 1-5 hours per ride. The pak has held up great and if I experience any future problems, I will simply send it back and get a replacement pak per the lifetime warranty. You can not go wrong especially for the current price of about $25. I would have given the overall rating less than a 5, but since the company is great about replacing items, I gave a 5.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain trail system

Purchased At:   Warrantied by Hydrapak

Similar Products Used:   Various blackburn, hydrapak and camelbaks.

Bike Setup:   2002 Spec Enduro Pro

Submitted by Pete a Weekend Warrior from Clearwater, FL U.S.A

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Strengths:    -holds ample amount of fluid (100 oz)
    -lots of storage space pockets room for (spare tube, power bar, keys, etc.)
    -stylish appearance

Weaknesses:    -valve leaks a little bit (barely at all)

Bottom Line:
    Do not buy this product if you need to have the trendy name brand, however, if you want value, this is the pack for you. This is a great product and can't be beat for the price. As stated in product weaknesses, the valve does leak a little but not enough to cause concern. Others have mentioned that you can replace the bite valve with one from camelback but the problem is not really big enough to warrant that. All in all this is a great product and I have no reservations on recommending this pack.

Favorite Trail:   Alifia

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   none, looked at camelbacks but too expensive

Bike Setup:   '01 GT Avalance 2.0

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Boise

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    Pack design and cost. I liked the spring loaded valve (good flow) and velcro tube-stay.

Weaknesses:    Tube length is a little short, valve leaked when "closed".

Bottom Line:
    The pack design is great. I prefer the open top closure to the camel back hole with plug setup. Pockets are usable and effecient. Price was great. The spring loaded valve moves water better than other designs I've tried.

Loses points for tube length and leaky valve.

Favorite Trail:   Hardguy