Vredestein Killer Bee Older Tires

• Low rolling resistance
  • Wide range of surfaces

Submitted by loddrik a Cross Country Rider from Liverpool

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2011

Strengths:    Fast, light, way more grip than you'd believe.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to find, can get into difficulty in deep mud.

Bottom Line:
The perfect trail centre tyre, surprised more people aren't using them. Great at places like CyB, Afan, Glentress etc. Fast as hell, due to the size can be run at lower pressures to increase grip, never come close to a puncture yet. Only time they have been out of their depth was December in the Peaks around Hope/Castleton. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Favorite Trail:   N Wales

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany, Mav DUC32's, X.O, XTR, Deus, Marta's etc.

Submitted by daisyhilldude a Cross Country Rider from brisbane australia

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Light, extremely easy to mount, fast

Weaknesses:    occasionally on really steep stuff it looses a little traction

Bottom Line:
I'd like to give a heads up to my local bike shop at Springwood - Sonic Cycles- on the same side of the service road as Ikea

They are a small high end shop that is relitivly new- I have recieved some excellent service from them and would like to relate this story;

I got them to service my XC bike for the Epic, and I was telling them I wanted rear tyre -I eventually bought a UST Cross Max, the mechanic, Chris, gave me a free Vredstein Killer Bee Tyre to try as well. He asked me to do a review of it instead of paying for it, so here it is:

It's a very light but full sized semi slick trye with a pentagonal tread pattern, I have used a Furious Fred as a rear tyre before and they feel decidedly narrow. The Killer Bee feels like a full sized tyre, and apart from the obvious increase in speed it didn't feel like a semi slick. It was a robust, predictable and reasonably grippy tyre.

I want to comment on the ease of setting the killer bee up. I have done the epic race once before and a couple of times in training, and have had multiple flats every time, So when I set up for this Epic I used liquid latex in the UST tyres. The Killer Bee was by far the easiest UST tyre I have ever used, and during the race it performed flawlessly, no flats no loss of pressure.

When I left the shop I put the cross max on and went for a ride, i hadn't ridden a UST cross max before, it felt like I'd put a concrete block on my back wheel, so I quickly changed to the killer bee, and I'll ride it till it wears out, I would highly recommend it.

Cost of the tyre was reasonable, about $10 cheaper than a comperable Schwalbe