Vredestein K-Nobs Older Tires

4.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Vredestein K-Nobs

Submitted by brands a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Strengths:    climbs amazingly well, light. Always nice to try something different.

Weaknesses:    Little too different. Looks like Vredestein has stopped making mtn bike tires. Not so much a weakness, but i want more

Bottom Line:
I tore my old Omega Bite so needed a new tire. Actually got it after reading reviews here. I noticed such an improvement right away. The Omega(2.1") was a good tire, but this is a narrower 1.9 and it handles better in every way. Climbing, even out of the saddle, always hooks up. Roots, wet, it doesnt matter. A big pet peave of mine is the sand on some of my local trails, but its not an issue at all. I always run high psi plus its a narrow tire, but somehow it really propels me over sand. The cornering is great, runs well with my Alpha Bite up front. Im really bummed it looks like Vredestein stopped making mtn tires, wanted to try one of theirs up front. And when I wear this thing out, dont know where to go for performance. Guess this review wont help much, less you find these at clearence or something. If you ride cross country and want a kick ass rear tire, this is the best ive tried. Never flatted with maxis flyweight tubes either.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell or Rocky Point

Purchased At:   forget

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Z-Max, Omega Bite, Panaracer Smoke, Specialized Team

Bike Setup:   '95 Breezer(Old School), Zoch A-Bomb, Ritchey Alpha Bite up front

Submitted by David Mayes a Weekend Warrior from Hinton, Iowa, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Strengths:    excellent cornering and great traction on dirt, stable in light gravel,

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Great tires-- better than the others I have used for cross country riding. I was afraid that the 1.9 (actual width is about 1.7 at the widest) would be too narrow but they hook-in great on dirt. (I don't ride in mud or on rock.) With dual suspension, the lower air volume does't seem to be a problem. Suprised how well they corner. They were bargain priced at Performance a few months ago.

Favorite Trail:   Stone State Park

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor 2.1 & 47/52, IRC MythosXC 1.95K, Richey Speedmax alpha and omega 2.1, Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1

Bike Setup:   Marin Mt. Vision Pro(dual suspension), XTR, Manitou TPC X-vert, Fox Alps, stock except for the tires

Submitted by Tim (aka OldSchool) from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent grip on hard-pack and rocks wet or dry (every thing's relative). Fun in the corners -- wet or dry.

Weaknesses:    Not and extreme tire (as positioned by marketing), because not a great mud tire.

Very fast wearing. Rear lasted 1/2 year. Front lasted 1 year (I've never worn down a front so fast).

Bottom Line:
I ride in Portland, OR and am always looking for a good winter tire for mud and wet roots. I put a 1.95 on the back and a 2.1 on the front.

First off, I could not get a 2.1 that wasn't a little deformed. The rubber never fully filled the nobs in the mold. My LBS gave up on me after I rejected their third try at special ordering these tires. I then sent a note to the US Vredenstein rep to give them a heads up. They sent me a pair for free! The 2.1 still wasn't fully formed though, but I'm not complaining for a free tire.

The ride:
Awesome grip! I was able to make some wet rocky climbs that I usually spin out on. I put the grip just below the Hutch. Aligators. The side-nobs also provide excellent grip. In fact, the tires pulled me out of muddy ruts that I was sure that I was a gonner in. Very fun in the corners.

The tire, however, is being positioned as one for extreme conditions. Nah. It's just a good tire for general XC. I'd expect longer nobs for an extreme tire.

Value rating is based upon buying at MRSP.

Purchased At:   from rep.

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Phyco & Factory Mud; Michilin Front-S, X, and Comp-S; Panaracer smoke; Bonty Jones; Hutchenson Aligators

Bike Setup:   Steel hardtail

Submitted by Patrick Beeson a Racer from Bluff City, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent overall abilities in most terrian, great for climbing on everything, good cornering capabilities, low rolling resistance on hardpack, looks good on my Yeti...

Weaknesses:    only I can find is that they are a little heavy, but I stopped caring about that awhile ago...

Bottom Line:
As a sponsered cross-country racer by Vredstein, I recieved these tyres at an excellent price, and thus I was somewhat skeptical to write a review since I didn't qualify as the average consumer. However, once I actually got some riding time on these wonderful tyres I wanted to tell the world about them. The only critical thing I can say about the K-nobs is the weight, as they are a bit porky compared to the myriad assortment of lightweight(though THIN!) tyres onj the market now. On the other hand, I would trade weight for performance anyday, especially in racing. The tyres themselves have preformed very good so far, with a couple races under the belt(including a first, eighth, and fifth!). I have also trained quite a bit with the tyres on and I must say, even in sloppy rain conditions, they still hookup remarkably. Overall, I give these tyres a five-star rating, due to their excllent handling and climbing capabilities on any terrian, plus the great Euro craftsmanship! Grab a pair today!

Favorite Trail:   The Boneyard @Warriors

Purchased At:   Vredestein

Similar Products Used:   Continental, Panracer, Victoria...

Bike Setup:   00' Yeti ARC, Full XT, XTR/Bontrag. wheelset, Manitou Super, KORE, Thompson, Titec, Canecreek, Chris King, TIME

Submitted by Peterjan a Cross Country Rider from Zoeterwoude, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2000

Strengths:    specific, so you can buy other ones too
high-tech fabric
low-pressure possible
they come in 3 sizes en 2 side compounds
clear mud well

Weaknesses:    very specific, you propably need other ones too
the middle compound is softer, wear easy on the streets

Bottom Line:
The black-blue ones are soft/wet pack only tires, cause of the hard blue compound that won't do on hard pack; there is a bit of a way round this by lowering the pressure to 2.5-3 Bar; no snakebites yet! The all black ones are softer on the sides, so more of a all-condition tire, more grip in the corners on hard-pack.
They do very well for what they are intended: give you traction and stability in the worst of conditions.