Tioga City Slickers Older Tires

3.8/5 (15 Reviews)

Tioga City Slicker: Smooth tire with traction sipes for street use. Standard long life rubber compound, 66tpi...

Submitted by Jovan G.

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2012

Strengths:    They work great on my beach cruiser. the difference in ease of pedaling is significantly better.

Weaknesses:    Installing the tire can be a daunting task if you don't have enough experience.

Bottom Line:
i use these on my 26" mens beach cruiser. the wheels are 26x1.25 and the tires are 26x1.95. the inner tube is a thorn resistant tube, alot thicker than the regular ones that come with most cruisers. my bike now can be inflated to a higher PSI, maintains momentum much better, and looks cooler, too. I have no regrets with the tires, they're just fun.

Submitted by Yakuza Rider a Cross Country Rider from Osaka Japan

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    ultra low price,oem of Mitsuboshi tire(made in Japan)

Weaknesses:    official weight is wrong?(maybe more heavy)

Bottom Line:
city slicker amor& city slicker pro are oem of Mitsuboshi tire.Mitsuboshi has never saled since 2007, but City slicker is still popular among sigle pisto riders in Japan,because natural dry grip&comfort& various size
very comfortable&smooth riding.sometimes i ride with my daughter on the rear carrier,she says "no hip pain"
city slicker is the origin of all slick tires.

Favorite Trail:   street,river side

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Tioga city slicker pro 26×1.5

Bike Setup:   city bike 700×32C,2010 Centurion backfire600(XC hardtail)

Submitted by Jay a Racer from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Strengths:    Best Traction tire I have found -Super Fast-
Only 10mm of rubber touch ground when going straight--
been using City Slickers for 15 years-
over 75,000 miles--saved my skin Hundreds of times--
I use the 1.95 front and back- nice cushy ride

Weaknesses:    early gum side wall would go south in 8 months-
this has been fixed with the new Black wall tires

Bottom Line:
Best street tire on the market --

Favorite Trail:   Street

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   I have tried Many street slicks and nothing comes close
to the grip and speed of City Slickers

Bike Setup:   I have 9 completely Hand built bikes --
City Slickers on ALL of my bikes --

Submitted by abdul fattah a Weekend Warrior from bandar baru bangi, selangor, malaysia

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    real smooth, ,low rolling resistance, just fast....

Weaknesses:    slippery even if there is some sand...nearly fell on a tight corner with some sand...

Bottom Line:
very good value for money...gets me to school and tuition faster than before....good for long rides...just love them...

Favorite Trail:   pav

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   nothin...just converted from kenda mtb tires

Bike Setup:   lerun ultimax

Submitted by benny mcginlay from glasgow,scotland

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    kona frame,very strong but light enough to carry.29 inch wheels,makes bike go faster for less effort.

Weaknesses:    has to be the gripshift.not keen but seems to be ok so far

Bottom Line:
very pleased with purchase.got a lot of bike for my budget.strong and sturdy,ideal for commuting to work and runs along the canal bank

Purchased At:   halfords

Submitted by David Stanley a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Strengths:    Fantastic road tire. Long wearing, great traction. Silent

Bottom Line:
Fantastic tire. I have over 30,000 miles on Tioga City Slickers. Never been disappointed. I'm currently on my 3rd set. Started with the 1.9's, then switched to 1.5's.

Not sure what the gal from Englands problem has been. I've had my MT bike up to 63 mph, loose gravel, highspeed turns, you name it. Never had a single problem related to the tires.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2 Stumpjumper Comp.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    Low price, Durable rubber, Low rolling resistance, Great in Jr. Monsoon rains and not even a single sign of a cut in the rubber since 2000.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get onto rims the first time. The skin sidewalls are not my first choice (I prefer black sidewalls), but that's a personal peeve and not an actual weakness.

Bottom Line:
I bought 3 of these tires back in 2000. I put 2 on my 1996 GT Ricochet and 1 on a spare rear wheel for the same bike. I've only put 1,000kms on them as I got my new 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk on June 01, 2001. I put those kilometers on when either my Trek had a flat (6x), or was in the shop for a tune-up (2x), or was in for a repair (1x). + the 7x I rode this bike during a 16 day trip to Florida.
I was once caught out in a Jr. Monsoon rain for 10kms while I was returning from a 75km ride. The tires channeled out the water really well, but all over me, hehe!
Bottom Line: No flats, not even a cut in the tread after 1,000kms. So it has to be a 5/5!

Purchased At:   Nashbar in 2000

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Wild Gripper City 26"x1.5" at 80psi, IRC Metro Duro 26"x1.5" at 80psi.

Bike Setup:   1996 GT Ricochet, Rock Shox Quadra 5/Eibach Speed Springs 50mm.

Submitted by willie a Cross Country Rider from pineapple junction, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Strengths:    inexpensive, solid construction

Weaknesses:    none found as yet

Bottom Line:
these 26x1.5 tires replaced stock Kenda Krossplus 26x1.95s... expected and experienced improved speed and handling on smooth paths... an inexpensive alternative to more expensive tires offering a smooth/bald pattern...

Favorite Trail:   pinellas trail

Bike Setup:   Marin Stinson

Submitted by Konstantine Boulich a Racer from London, UK

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2005

Strengths:    Looks?

Weaknesses:    I think it is a horrible tire. In fact Tioga should be banned from producing it along with Kona that puts them as standard on its Smoke ( which is an excellent bike for the price ) In short - this tire may be dangerous for your life!!!( I refer to 26 x 1.95 version ) When you try to corner at relatively high speed (or at any speed for that matter ) it starts producing this scary whistling sound and then you just fall. I had fallen 3 times on completely dry road, once almost loosing my life to a London double decker bus!!! Falling on a dry, smooth surface is something that has not happened to me since I was 6!!! I am actually not a risky rider though I want to think an experienced one. I then switched to Continental's City Contacts 26x1,5- what a difference!

Bottom Line:
Avoid it at all costs. Maybe it is a cheap tire but I would just pay this little bit extra to enjoy cycling and other earthly pleasures for that bit longer.

Favorite Trail:   London streets

Purchased At:   came standard on my Kona Smoke

Similar Products Used:   various 1.5 slicks by Continental

Bike Setup:   Kona Smoke ,for commuting. Hasn't changed much on the bike.

Submitted by Atlas a Cross Country Rider from San Juan, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Low road friction when properly inflated, tread durability. Excellent for indoor trainer.

Weaknesses:    Sidewalls do not react well to the slightest contact and to hot & humid weather. Poor cornering.

Bottom Line:
Good for use on indoor trainer since it is nice and smooth, but during the rainy season here, which last a coupole of months, where it rains one day and another is very sunny, the sidewalls just seemed to rot, sheading the waxy outer layer. Also, they are poor for tight cornering in urban areas.

Favorite Trail:   Salinas(Albergue)

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M600, Marzocchi MXC(air), Full XT, egg beaters pedals, Selle Italia Flite Trans Am.

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Royal Oak, Michigan USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    High pressure, low rolling resistance, quiet, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    The main weakness is the sidewall. I have totally trashed the sidewalls on the front and rear tires after two months of commuting 25 miles round trip. I have also averaged one flat per week, but I don't hold that against the tires.

Bottom Line:
After trying these tires I'm going to go back to the IRC Metro Duro. My last set of IRC Metros (non-kevlar belted) seemed to last forever.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   IRC Metro

Bike Setup:   Commuter beater with rear panniers. LX/XT components. I run the tires at 80 psi.

Submitted by Toby a Cross Country Rider from Bristol

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    I thought I ought to review these again as I have a few things to add. They are still good tires, light with good grip on the road and corners etc.

Weaknesses:    The side walls. I have gone through several pairs now some damage was due to the brakes rubbing after wear but the generally seem to degrade with use and the side walls are thin anyway.

Bottom Line:
I still think these are good tires but they are not that durable. The nylon or something in the sidewalls degrades with time. Apart from this I've been pretty happy with them . I did get a lot of punctures with them and had green slime in my inner tubes (fantastic stuff) I have now switched to a pair of Specialized Armadillo tires. A 3 & 3 to balance the 5 I gave below.

Purchased At:   Bike Bristol

Similar Products Used:   I have just bought a pair of Specialized Armadilos.

Bike Setup:   Timberline GT (my ride till it fails run around)

Submitted by Mike Atlas a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2000

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance, still absorbs bumps well even though not as big as dirt tires.

Weaknesses:    Anything other then pavement is kinda a pain to get through....

Bottom Line:
Very good overall road tire. I can easily outpace riders on knobbies with the same amount of effort. Just watch out for mud and dirt, these puppies won't cut it. Also, I haven't notice pebbles getting caught in the center groove and making noise. I give it 4 flaming turds, since I don't have experience with any other road tires to compare it to.

Favorite Trail:   Streets of downtown Madison

Bike Setup:   '91 Schwinn Impact w/ RST 381 and City Slickers

Submitted by Joe Elliott a Downhiller from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent road tire overall. Very fast, smooth ride. 1.95 width is perfect for downtown (jumping curbs, grates etc)

Weaknesses:    Corners poorly (I am a downhiller... on the road is a new thing for me). the wire bead is a pain to put on/take off

Bottom Line:
Great tire for anyone who has a 26" rim and just cannot ride on a razor thin 1.25 or less road tire. Very little resistance (no knobbies) and smooth ride on the road. Tough to get used to on the corners... they slide on gravel and water quite quickly! At only $18.50 a tire at the MEC, how can you go wrong!

Favorite Trail:   Marathon East Trail

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   1998 Gary Fisher Joshua X1 full suspension.

Submitted by Toby Whitley a cross-country rider from Bristol, England

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have two bikes one I use for off road and the other (a GT Timberline) for road. I have just put these slick tires on and they are fantastic. They hold the road better, corner well and increase my speeds by 3-4 miles an hour as the rolling resistance is so much less. The grip on anything other than tarmac is not so good but I think in the summer when the dirt tracks round here dry out I might try putting them on my off road bike and see how fast I can go while staying on the bike. Money well spent!