Ritchey SpeedMax Alpha Omega Older Tires

SpeedMax Alpha • Front specific, fast rolling cross-country tire • Square ramped center tread oriented for optimum braking performance • Graduated VFA side knobs for smooth transitions, controlled cornering • Excellent in wet or dry conditions

SpeedMax Omega • Rear specific, fast rolling cross-country drive tire • Center tread of reinforced triangular ramps = optimum traction performance • Graduated VFA side knobs for smooth transitions, controlled cornering • Excellent in wet or dry conditions

Submitted by Anders Løkke a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    Very nice grip in all directions, especially on hard, dry dirt roads and singletrack. Rolls nicely with low friction on paved roads as well, given the air pressure is there.

Weaknesses:    May slip occasionally on steep climbs, but what non-knobbed tire doesn't?

Bottom Line:
I like these tires. They were fitted to my bike when I got it, and I rode on it for about a week before I switched to my belowed, green Jet-S'. It immideately became apparent that they had much less traction on my paths and dirt roads, so after a few trips, the Ritchey's found their way back, and have stayed on ever since. As long as I am not riding in mud, they will continue where they are.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Z-max, Michelin Jet-S, etc.

Bike Setup:   Hard tail aluminum bike with SID team suspension and XTR components, Mavic 517 rims.

Submitted by Joel Walker a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Strengths:    very soft and flexible, will grip on nearly all surfaces

Weaknesses:    very soft and flexible, can tear off knobbles whilst climbing rocky hills. Punctures like you won't believe. I got 5 punctures riding a trail a have riden avery day for the last 6 months on the way home from work and have only punctured my O.L.D. Cheng's twice in 6 months of riding.

Bottom Line:
very competant tyre, have climbed many things that I had to push the bike up before, can stop and corner faster and is quite an easy tyre to pedal to and from on roads and dirt. Doesn't clog and is excellent in wet conditions.

Have tried nearly every possible tyre pressure to avoid punctures but when I got a puncture from the dried stem af a gum leaf I had a little cry.

Bottom line: Good Tyre if you ride somewhere where you won't get punctures. Only problem is, you'll boldly get punctures where no man has got punctures before.

Favorite Trail:   anything not at work

Purchased At:   on bike from new

Similar Products Used:   Cheng's and I borrowed my friends Pythons to compare

Bike Setup:   01 Merida Cobra, Stock. Hoping to get avid disk upgrade, makes life SOOOOOOO much easier with fatter tyres.

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Miami

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    Price was right. If you ride 70% road 30% friendly trails this tire is right. Durablity is excellent without losing a lot of gripping power. Fairly light.

Weaknesses:    Sand trails and sandy pavement becomes uncontrollable at times.

Bottom Line:
If your favorate trails comprise of sharp rocks or sandy hardpack better look elsewhere. Tire is good looking for a 2.1 and the blue sidewall sets my ride off. Good wear/grip ratio for the price $14.95 ea.

Favorite Trail:   Terra Firma

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Revolt Semi Slick

Bike Setup:   1990 Trek 8000 Matrix V rims

Submitted by Cdale XC a Cross Country Rider from Northern VA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    grips really well

Weaknesses:    i flat out on almost every ride. funny thing is, this never happened on the old piece of crap tioga psychos that i used to use.

Bottom Line:
if you like repairing flats, go for it.

Favorite Trail:   southrun power lines

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   tioga psychos, IRC mythos

Submitted by Joel W a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa, OK

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    Omega Rear only.
light, perfect tire for aggressive XC and pavement riding.

Has held up very well under tough use.

Weaknesses:    Can spin this tire under hard climbing in low gears, but typically only on really nasty uphills.

Can pack up with mud on trails that are moist.

Bottom Line:
Couldn't be happier. I wanted to avoid having to swap my rear tire every time I wanted to ride my bike to work. This tire lets me keep the same tire on, but still get great performance when riding aggressive XC. Has held up very well in a very rocky, rutted environment that I ride in.

I wouldn't pay the $40 retail for them, but I got mine for $20 at performancebike.com and it has been wonderful.

And the blue side walls look cool...

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike.com

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyll

Submitted by Carlos a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    More traction off road than a slick.
Faster on pavement than knobby.

Weaknesses:    Less traction off road than knobby.

Bottom Line:
I only have the omega. Great compromise between fast tread and traction. It's fast on pavement and the little pyramids work great on big rocks and hardpack. I will buy this tire again, that is if I ever need another one. It wears very well.

Favorite Trail:   dry washes

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Kwest

Bike Setup:   Giant 6061 frame, LX brakes/shifter/Rear der/cassette, Bontrager mustang wheels w/XT hubs.

Submitted by kat chomko a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    These tires are _fast_ and predictable. The alpha, especially, is completely trustworthy on any terrain at any camber I'm brave enough to take it to, including wet pavement and loose sand and debris on road shoulders. I've ridden them over smashed bottles without flatting - though I have flatted the kevlar models on a construction staple and a couple of thorns.

Weaknesses:    The omega is an excellent all around tire as long as you aren't climbing over any roots or rocks - even at a lower PSI. They just don't have enough knobby. For riding around urban areas, however, they're wonderful.

Bottom Line:
If you want a set of tires for hardpack or urban riding that provides you with traction to brake and corner in loose shoulder debris, speed across lawns and generally fly along, these are excellent tires. Once you start getting into the "stairstep" hills when you're offroad, though, the Omega will hold you back. I swap my rear tire out for something with knobs when I go XC - the Omega has left me spinning at the first root too many times. Across the mud, though, both tires just plow through - and they both shed debris immediately. I can't recommend this set of tires enough for aggressive urban riding, but the Omega doesn't have enough cohones to get up up the steep, technical hills. Personally, I leave the alpha on the front for offroad - it hangs on in the corners like panties on a virgin.

Favorite Trail:   miles of fasttrack

Similar Products Used:   top of the line slicks and semi-slicks

Bike Setup:   ritchey alpha in front, omega in back - both kevlar, 2.1"

Submitted by Mojombo a Weekend Warrior from La Verne, CA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
In the year that I owned these tires (the set) they never once let me down. The knobby outer tread held quite nicely on gravel and dirt. Screeching skid halts on asphalt left no visible wear on the center tread. To get to my favorite biking spot from my office I had to bike about a mile and a half of pavement. The small tread patter of the center part of these tires allowed me to have minimal rolling restistance on pavement without sacrificing handling on dirt. Given, any tire that is 100% massive knob will maintain grip longer on curves than these tires, but for XC these guys are perfect. Oh, and the blue sidewalls look killer too!

Hard to find, but worth the buy. My last bike was stolen. Now that I'm building up my new bike, I went out of my way find these tires again.

Bottom line: Good for XC/Pavement. Bad for DH and DS.

Purchased At:   35

Submitted by JB a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    Alpha: Has good control, good tread design, stays to the ground in almost all conditions.

Weaknesses:    Omega: poorly designed side walls, fell apart on a standard CA fire road, not even hardcore x-c

Bottom Line:
Alpha can actually grip the trail and stay in one peice.
Omega on the other did a good job while it lasted. Almost everyride I got a flat tire and was running 55psi. OMEGA SUCKS

Favorite Trail:   Brian Head Singletrack

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Fire XC, WTB Motoraptor, Hutchinson Python, and Mosquito

Bike Setup:   1997 GT LTS-3 Stock except front tire: Ritchey, rear tire: Panaracer