Ritchey Alfa-bite Older Tires

4.39/5 (23 Reviews)

Alfa-bite 2.1 WCS

Submitted by Stijn Bonneux a Weekend Warrior from Belgium

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    Used as front tire, enabling me too have corners really fast. Grip is definitely NOT a problem

Weaknesses:    Maybe too soft tire. I had one as rear and it was slick'ened after a week or two.

Bottom Line:
Ideal as front tire. Rear wheel block too much for having a long life tire.

Favorite Trail:   Free Ride, XC, technical tracks

Bike Setup:   Minerva Starlite, RockShox Judy XC, Shimano Deore shifting and brakes

Submitted by Plowboy a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    Great traction, hold well in corners.

Weaknesses:    Fairly heavy, side knobs started chunking.

Bottom Line:
I really liked these tires and was at the point of switching the rear to the front (yes, I was using the tread reversed on the rear!) when I noticed some of the tread knobs on the edges of the rear tire were pulling off the casing. Bummer, but, after all, I had a good year of varied condition riding and they really aren't made to mount on the rear. Too bad they're discontinued but I'd consider another Ritchey pattern later on because they cleared mud really well and gave good traction everywhere.

Favorite Trail:   Muleshoe, Rocky Hill, Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Tioga, Panaracer

Bike Setup:   K2 4000, CT2 bars, otherwise stock.

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Springfield,SC

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Strengths:    Super fast. Great grip in turns

Weaknesses:    NON

Bottom Line:
Great off-road tire. I have not seen much wear, but I only use them off-road. Bought as set of front and rear from supergo.com. Great price.

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Crap

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000

Submitted by Micha Schmidt a Cross Country Rider from Bückeburg, Germany

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Strengths:    great in loos gravel & mud (1.9-version), traction

Weaknesses:    slides a little in corners. not available anymore......

Bottom Line:
True tires! They go really fast and do they job very well in any kind of terrain.... look out for cheap ritcheys!

Favorite Trail:   lots of......

Purchased At:   h&s bike-discount, bonn

Similar Products Used:   WTB Veloc., onza Rip/rail, tons of panarac.,

Bike Setup:   ´94 GT bravado, completely XT-equiped, RS Judy C, syncros cockpit/rims

Submitted by John from Appleton, WI

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    Durability, GRIP!

Weaknesses:    Expensive if you bought them full boat!

Bottom Line:
I'm a Continental user. Never bought Ritchey tires until I saw these listed cheap and took a chance. The best knobby tire I've ever used for normal conditions. Mud, Sand and loose gravel no problem. Best part is that they are completely silent on and off road and have no rolling resistance. Excellent on the back reversed tread! Have two backup sets and no you can't have them, mine!

Favorite Trail:   bumpy with hills

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Conti's

Bike Setup:   Steel Fisher with true wheels

Submitted by Paul Burbidge from Kentville

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2001

Strengths:    Aggressive (2.35), excellent grip, rounded profile corners very well

Weaknesses:    It's not really 2.35 inches wide but it has huge volume

Bottom Line:
Excellent front tire. Some people suggest turning it around for the rear but that strikes me as silly, the rounded profile would suck on back. Anyway I've got the 2.35 inch severe condition tire and I love it.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   Radical Edge (Fredericton)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Kona, Tioga tires

Bike Setup:   Whole bunch of stuff on a Kona Caldera (soon to be stinky) frame

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from Eglin AFB Florida

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, Light, Fast

Weaknesses:    None yet!

Bottom Line:
WOW!!! What an awesome tire! Bites well in turns. I reversed the tread and put another on the rear. It tears the sand up! Great control in fast turns and braking. A very fast rolling tire. (cool blue sidewall on the WCS) It's also a bit lighter) I ordered a second pair from supergo.com to use when I wear these out!

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Raptor, Schwinn Moab XC, Geax, Hutch

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Supercal XT/XTR Race Face

Submitted by Scott Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Savage, MN

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Great tread design to grip the trails
Rubber compound is soft but durable
Great cornering tire

Weaknesses:    Tread is a little tight to shed major mud
Blue sidewalls (Actually a strength for me cause I own a blue bike, but for most could be an issue)

Bottom Line:
Point blank - These tires are awesome. I paid $11 at www.supergo.com for these 127 TPI, kevlar folding Ritchey tire!! I have the WCS (World Champion Series) which has a higher TPI than their other model. They are extremely durable and roll fast when you crank up the air pressure (I run 60 LBS on my full suspension). The rubber compound is softer to allow better gripping but is durable. I use this tire on the front and back (Just turn the tire around on the back to give an excellent rear tread that grips well when you lay on the brakes!) These are a steal at $11. The only downfall for most people is that the sidewalls are BLUE (I have a blue bike so I look good supporting these tires!!)

I give it 5 flaming fritos for value and overall rating.

Favorite Trail:   River bottom, Murphy Hanerhan

Purchased At:   www.supergo.com

Bike Setup:   K2 Proflex 4000, Front crosslink smart fork

Submitted by Sal DeFrancesco a Weekend Warrior from East Haven CT

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2000

Strengths:    good traction,control

Bottom Line:
holds up well threads last a long time good wear..control and traction good in most conditions..A good value

Favorite Trail:   supply pond

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   psycho

Bike Setup:   hardtail,Klein pulse comp

Submitted by Eric Hagan a Racer from Sarasota Florida

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1999

Strengths:
Light, colorful sidewalls

Weaknesses:
*colorful sidewalls

Bottom Line:
Love 'em! They hook up on any type of trail for me.I have the 1.9 version rather than the 2.1 . The only problem with the smaller width is that I don't have the confidence in the the tight fast corners. But they do hook up on the corners 99% of the time. ( I suck in cornering ). Regardless, it is a great tire

Bartram Trail, Tuskeegee

6 months

GT Zaskar LE with Manitou and Zokes SuperFly

Submitted by freaky styley a weekend warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

This was a great tire through the summer months and early fall, however I like to put a IRC Missile upfront in the real muddy stuff I'm riding around Pittsburgh in February. Overall a really competent tire which I found rolled much better when turned opposite to the direction shown. The first time I felt unsteady on this tire was in the first race I entered (a very muddy one), goes to show how racing brings out the best and worst in your equipment. Much better than Navigator Pro for big riders especially in wet. clears mud OK, does not try to pick its own course.

Submitted by CrashTest a weekend warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

this tire packs up with mud. very light though. Cheeeep tooo.

Submitted by CHRIS G a weekend warrior from SAN FRANCISCO

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1997

Bottom Line:

JUST PUT MY ALPHA IN FRONT AND A SPEEDMAX IN THE REAR...I HAVE BEEN GOING BACK AND FORTH WITH MY OTHER SET OF TIRES (LEADER PRO FRONT/DOUBLE FIGHTER REAR) AND HAVE FINALLY COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE RITCHEYS DO MUCH BETTER WHEN I AM ACTUALLY OFF ROAD ON FIRE ROADS AND SINGLETRACK...ON PAVEMENT AND HARD PACK, THEY ARE ABOUT EVEN...CONFIDENCE GOING DOWN ROCKY, RUTTED DESCENTS IS NO PROB WITH THE RITCHEYS...I'M THINKING OF TRYING THE OMEGABITE IN THE REAR JUST TO SEE HOW THEY ARE...THE ALPHAS DEFINITELY HOOK UP IN THE FRONT, BETTER THAN ANY OTHER FRONT TIRE I'VE TRIED...

Submitted by Dale-Man a weekend warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: October 7, 1997

Bottom Line:

I put this tire on the front paired with a Speed-Max on the back. What a great combination! This tire solved the skitsh, unpredicatable front on the loose to hard stuff and made the whole control issue much more predictable. I like it! Ima gonna go for four peppas.

Submitted by Peter a cross-country rider from Castro Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

I got the Alpha-bite w/ the Omega-bite from the Ritchey booth at a race as a trade-in for my worn Smoke/Darts plus $30. I just said, What the hell. I have a very aggressive style and these tires do nicely. There's probably a better mud tire, but for hard-pack to lose, these tires perform well together.