Panaracer Hardcore Smoke Older Tires

3.81/5 (68 Reviews)

Hardcore Smoke Kevlar

Submitted by Christian a Racer from Central Pa

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Strengths:    I haven't bought these yet, just reading the reviews. Why hasn't anyone rode these in snow?

Weaknesses:    How are they in snow?

Bottom Line:
How are they in snow? They look like they'll do good, but....

Favorite Trail:   Piggy's Camp

Similar Products Used:   Tioga factory XC, Conti competition Pro

Submitted by Bryan a Cross Country Rider from Melrose, MA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Strengths:    Durable, light and the traction on climbs!!

Weaknesses:    a sidewall split but after a season of hard riding.

Bottom Line:
I have had several of these tires over the years and can't seem to find a reason to change. I race and love the technical stuff and the Smoke has not let me down! I have started my fourth season with the same tire on the rear and with lots of even wear it still gets me to the top without breaking lose!! I will be swapping this tire onto my new wheelset. These tires are old school but I just specd'em on my new full suspension ride. If you look you can steal these kevlar lightweights for $15.00. Such a deal!!
Great for all around cross country riding.

Favorite Trail:   bow ridge :( :(

Similar Products Used:   Specialized,Tioga,Ritchey

Bike Setup:   Sampson Ti

Submitted by Martin a Weekend Warrior from Canada, NB

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1999

Bottom Line:
only have the front, Dart tire on my bike... KICKS ASS!!! able to get into pebly , sharp corners... FAST!!! I'm talking like 25 MPH fast... in tight switchbacks and live to tell about it!! front stays planted while the rear... cheapo stock tire.. slides out... No Problem!! Just point and shoot... that simple!!

more than 3 years

Submitted by jamie lamb a Racer from nova scotia canada

Date Reviewed: April 3, 1999

Strengths:
not that heavy, low rolling resistance alright traction

Weaknesses:
wears fast

Bottom Line:
this is an alright tire Mine was fine but One of my friends (shane) had one and after riding about 20 feet the side wall blew out and the tire went right off the rim. That was i bit of a problem.
mine held up fine so 3 chillies

anything with dirt

1 Year

kona sctatch
methos XC

norco magnum bomber z3

Submitted by RENARDO a weekend warrior from HUNTSVILLE,ALABAMA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

IVE HAD THEASE TIRES FOR 2 SEASONS, AND I MUST SAY I NEVER WANTED TO TRY ANYTHING ELSE BUT I WILL (GEAX BLADE). ANY WAY THEIR FAST IN HARD PACK, OK IN MUD BUT CAN BE BETTER. IM A 225 POUND RIDER WHO IS HARD ON TIRES, BUT THE HARCORE SMOKE IS SUPERB,NEVER A PINCH FLAT,DAMN WHAT CAN I SAY THERE JUST HARDCORE.WELL THE INFERIOR BLUE-CROSS VERSOIN IS THE OPPOSITE, LOTS OF BLOW OUTS WEAK SIDE WALLS A LITTLE HEAVEY BUT THE TRACTION IS SUPER.

Submitted by Stacey from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my second set of smoke/dart combo for a bike I purchased about a year ago. The new set I purchased were the hardcore kevlar models and the sidewall blew out within a week - while the bike was sitting in my living room for no apparent reason. I see at least one other person in this review experienced close to the same thing. I'm happy with performance but apparently QA needs some attention.

Submitted by Vicki a cross-country rider from Waterford, MI

Date Reviewed: July 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the smoke/dart combo to replace my primal raptors and wow!! what a difference a great pair of tires can make. Instead of the rear tire constantly spinning on steap uphills I can now keep great contact w/ the dirt and climb like a pro. Thanks to MTB review for making my rides much more enjoyable. If any of you have the WTB primals (came with my hoo koo) do yourseld a favor and toss the useless pair of **** in the can.FIve flaming chilis!!

Submitted by jamie lamb a racer from nova scotia /canada

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Raced these tires through everything. 6 mud super dry hard pack and loose dirt and leaves. They worked good cleaning in mud and ass kicking traction in hard pack. They feel like a semi-skick. The only thing that is even half bad is that in 1/2 dry sticky mud they clean be flinging crap on to your back. I will give these tires 6 stars but there is only 5.

Submitted by I.L. a cross-country rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

A tire for all seasons. My usual trails are single-track woods, with lose dirt, mud, rock, roots, streams and hills. Ran them through a hot dry New England summer with no problems. 12 days and 5 inches of rain into May, same trails, same tires and still no problems. Highly recommended.

Submitted by Erik a cross-country rider from Savonlinna ,eastern Finland

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I used to have a set of Panaracer Hardcore Smoke n' Dart on my Fuji
I really loved them . Lasted for ~ 2 summer and winter seasons. Grip was
excelent on dry and moist earth and gravel-rock . Didn't slip on roots and had great cornering in loose gravel . Suprisingly easy rolling on hard pack and road. Only in sticky mud does the tread get clogged . Really wet mud -no problem. Acceleration thumbs up. The tread depth would still have worked if not the knobs and sidewalls had begun to crack and get brittle .My new GT Timberline FS came with 1.9 WTB Velociraptors - So far they climb
well on soft earth , but they slip easy on wet roots and rocks . Acceleration and rolling sucks! Even with high pressure and on dry hard pack you can feel the resistance -stop pedaling and there's no need for brakes on even ground .
I even thought of taking a knife and cutting down on some knobs.
I going out now to buy 2 pairs of the trusty Hard Core Smoke/Darts
for the future.I deeply suggest you choose these tires you will not regret it.Ride on ! Peace. from Erik in Finland

Submitted by Daron Tan a weekend warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I posted an earlier review on the Smoke Hardcore's short lived lifespan. My Smoke Hardcore was a hit with me as it offers very low rolling resistance for a knobby. It also handles predictably. Unfortunately it expires prematurely, the sidewall surrendered to stress. According to Panaracer it is an unusual case and had my busted tire replaced without any charges. For after sales support I rate them second to none.

Submitted by Tony a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had these on my first bike. At the beginning, they were really nice.
The traction was very confidence inducing. After about 200 miles though, they
seemed to loose their grip. Its a pretty heavy tire for xcountry as well.
I'm now riding conti's (dry) and Jones (mud) The Smokes can't compare to these.
They're just OK so 3 Chili's

Submitted by Daron Tan a weekend warrior from Malaysia

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had the Smoke Hardcore Compe Kevlar on my HT. I love the low rolling resistance ride from this tire. Overall traction is okay but durability is suspect. My Smoke's sidewall burst under a mileage of just 50 KM for no apparent reason. I am positive my tire have no contact with the brakepads or any objects. Sidewall material appears weathered but treads are still good. I am not sure if mine is a one-off defect case or a manufacturer's material flaw of this model. Will repost if I find out more.

Submitted by Gideon from Israel

Date Reviewed: February 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've been using various Smoke /Dart tyres for guiding bike tours for a few years now & overall I'm really happy with them. I had a problem with the sidewalls of the kevlar beaded gumwall versions breaking down while there was still loads of tread left, but after a fax to the Japan Bicycle Tyre Manufacturers Association, inside 2 days I got a new set of Classics , no questions ,no quibbles.Good tyre, top service, nice price.

Submitted by Greg Beech a downhiller from nottingham,UK

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

These really are the best tyres I have ever used. The 2.1 Smoke and Dart Magics (yes, the white ones). With the kevlar, they are very light also. I have ridden WTB Velociraprors, which are also excellent, except that the front seems to lose traction slightly before the rear in fast off-camber corners, which is very scary. Michelin WildGrippers are ok, but again, you've got the problem with front washout, and they dont seem to last too well. The Panaracers slide controllably, with the rear going slightly before the front, so you don't wipe out. Perhaps the best option, however, is a Panaracer Dart front and a WTB Velociraptor rear. These work the best. Only problem is, one white tyre, and one black, looks shite, which is why I use the panaracer pair.