Onza Rip/Rail Older Tires

3.15/5 (39 Reviews)

Rip/Rail Kevlar

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2003

Strengths:    Light, roll fast, tread seemed to wear well before the side knobs peeled off.

Weaknesses:    Fell apart! Hate gravel, too skinny, sketchy in loose corners

Bottom Line:
What can I say. These looked good, but that's about it. The side knobs started to peel off after only a few months. I wasn't sad to chuck them out, they didn't work well for me anyway. I had the wire bead skinwalls.

Purchased At:   Bicycle superstore, Dandenong

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer dusters, Velociraptors, Psychos, Dart, Syncros Rubber, Maxxis Helter.

Bike Setup:   I had these on my old Balance AL 450 hardtail with Mag 21's. (got stolen - DOH!)

Submitted by V Vaughan a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Strengths:    1.Low rolling resistance
2.Super Fast
3.3 years not one flat
4.Long lasting
5.Can ride the street
6.Quiet

Weaknesses:    1.Can't find anymore
2.Company gone under

Bottom Line:
I have read the other reviews,and I am suprised of the problems that people have experinced. I have had mine for more than 3 seasons,close to 5. I ride all year around hard core east coast leave-to-the-LORD-collar-bone-braking-if-you-make-a-mistake-single-track,with billy-goat-roller coster-side-of-the-moutain-climbs. These are the best overall aroud tires I have had. What other tire can you ride to the store or post office on and still go do a hard core ride and never loses traction. After all this time (5 yrs) I finally need a new pair and yet I can still go ride without busting my chops leaning into a turn clipless. These were some great tires. As for the treads peeling maybe some bad batches got out in the end, for me I never had a promblem and until now because I can't find anymore this is the first time in 5 years I have to ask people for input on tires.The thing I enjoy most about this site is that it is for riders, I would never comprimise the integrity of this site that what make it so great. If you can find a batch that have not been sitting around to long then get them. The only reason I can think peoples tires are peeling is dry riot, remember any of these you purchase now might be atleast two years old that is about how long the company has been gone. Take from a rider who knows money does not grow on trees, at the regular price these were a great value for the money, at a discount call the cops because they are a steal.
C Ya on the trails
Venny

Favorite Trail:   Avalon(Baltimore)

Purchased At:   Race Pace

Bike Setup:   S-Works Hard Tail,S-Works Ti Stem,Monkey Lite Bars,King Headset,White Industries Hubs,Mavic 217,XTR Crank, Frnt& Rear Derailure,Onza Brakes,Kooka Brake Levers,Carbon Fiber Specialized/Rock Shock Judy Limited Edition,Grip Shift X Rays,747 clipless

Submitted by Juan Ayarza a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2001

Strengths:    Longevity, traction, durability, predictability, low rolling resistance

Weaknesses:    none that I can tell

Bottom Line:
I've just retired this tire after three years. It was inexpensive, performed really well in all conditions, and has outlasted every other tire I've had. With it on my bike, I have climbed things that all others spun out on. I've had very few flats (can't remember the last one!). It still has some tread left on it and I'll keep it for a spare. I would have bought another if they were available.

Favorite Trail:   Oregon Trail

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Extreme, team master, Michelin Wild Gripper, Ritchey z-max, ground control

Bike Setup:   97 Klein Mantra

Submitted by Jan Myburgh a Weekend Warrior from Pretoria , South Africa

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2000

Strengths:    Good traction in corners , untill .....

Weaknesses:    ...... untill the side knobs get ripped off . Terrible in mud wet rocks and roots

Bottom Line:
Onza had a point when they named the "Rip" tire . Don't know know where they got to the "Rail" bit .

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor ; Hutchinson Python ; Bontrager Revolt ST2 ; Continental Navigator/traction pro/cross country

Submitted by C-BALL a Racer from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Strengths:    grip. that's a period after grip. as in - grip period

Weaknesses:    not made anymore

Bottom Line:
i bought the RIP at a convenience store like 5 years ago. it was the beastliest looking tire i had ever seen. i rode it on hardpack, gravel, loose over hard, deep loose, mud, river bottom, rock face, pavement, grass, sand, you get the idea. super hardpack and smooth rock face the traction suffers due to the rubber being too hard. after 3 years of never slipping once unless i was intentionally trying to, i noticed the tread was about 1/2 gone. so i bought some $50 replacement rear tire. when i race dual slalom, that RIP comes back out and the $50 wonder goes to collect some dust. best gripping rear tire ever made.
the Onza RIP is the only tire i know of that has its tread pattern tattooed on someones arm because they respected it so much and were sorry to see it leave the market (no, not my arm). some current manufacturer should copy that design and pay the royalties to Onza so i can buy a new one.
if you want grip. on anything other than semi-slick tire type ground then you should write Onza a letter about getting the RIP back on the market.
5 flamin' chilis. and another 5 flamin' chilis.

Favorite Trail:   yes

Similar Products Used:   piles-o-tires

Bike Setup:   the RIP has seen gt rigid, gt hardtail w/ poop shox, azonic ds-1 w/ white bros

Submitted by jimbo a Weekend Warrior from toronto, ontario

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1999

Strengths:
Fast in a straight line

Weaknesses:
After a few months, tread pattern and sidewall wear quickly. This causes the front wheel to tuck badly when turning.

Bottom Line:
Loved them at first, but don't last long

Don Valley

1 Year

too many too mention

hardtail with Z2 fork

Submitted by Doug a Cross-Country Rider from Asheville

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1999

Strengths:
FEELS GOOD CLIMBING IF YOU STAY COMPLETELY UPRIGHT AND DO NOT LEAN ANY AT ALL.

Weaknesses:
The second you lean into a turn it wants to lose traction.

Bottom Line:
It's true , the side knobs rip off. I read the reviews and after 10+ rides thought these will hold up. Kept a check on the tire and on 1 ride 6 to 10 knobs ripped to the threads.

WNC

3 months

Yeti factors, Panaracers,Contis.,....

FS

Submitted by tacoma a Cross-Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Strengths:
aggressive edging
light and skinny

Weaknesses:
skinny
packs full of mud in about 3 seconds

Bottom Line:
I've been reading the past reviews-- seems like ONza crapped out before going bankrupt. I got a Rip K (rear, 1.9) hard compound tire a few years ago, in fact it was in the first shipment to the LBS, and mine is holding up VERY well. It's made it through 3 years of ruthless abuse, and I'm very impressed with the tread wear. This tire is good in medium conditions, where it can dig in a bit-- it's very hard, and very square. Don't use this thing in any mud though, it packs full and won't clean out very quickly. It's otherwise a good tire, I'm sad to hear about these new ones falling apart....

more than 3 years

you name it

Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS

Submitted by Billy-Goat a cross-country rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: December 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

One & a half seasons of hard technical riding-roots, rock, super-steep climbs, obstacles...this tire rocks for someone who likes to log the miles on variable technical terrain. I would say heavy mud is the one area where I found they lacked. Also loved the narrow design. As stated in other revues, tire lugs finally peeled off but only after lots-o-riding...definitely got my money's worth. Will definitely look for another set of these.

Submitted by jerry is not a weekend warrior from Cali

Date Reviewed: November 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

My friend Mike bought 2 sets of these cheap through mail order, the first set lasted about 2 months until the knobs started tearing off. The 2nd set only lasted 3 weeks, same deal, the knobs were tearing off exposing the casing. Cheap doesn't always mean a good deal, eh?

Submitted by Juan a cross-country rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I ordered an Onza Rip K (rear) on sale, mail order, two years ago. Put a lot of miles on it and a couple of races. It is an above average rear tire. It is predictable in corners, and grips as good on climbs as any other tire I've had. I haven't had any problems with lugs breaking and it has wore pretty well.

Submitted by Matthew Bernick a weekend warrior from Northern NJ

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought a Rip on sale mail order. Overall I was pleased with the performance. After about 1 month, I decided to go to Killington (ski area) for some lift-serviced downhilling. On the last run of the day, I hear rub rub rub from my rear wheel. When I stopped and examined the rear wheel, I discovered that the outside knobs had separated from the casing and my tube was bulging out in one spot. For some stupid reason, I poked the protruding tube and BOOM. So I walked the rest of the way down - thanks, Onza. Guess that explains why they went bankrupt....

Submitted by john a weekend warrior from asheville nc

Date Reviewed: September 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

at first it was true love it climbed technical slow single track without slipping a little sketchy at speed in turns on a fire road then back to single track a downhill bomb run called trace ridge flyin like a missle a little turn
then ALL of the knobbies RIPPED OFF THE SIDE WHILE BRAKING. the rubber knobs just peeled away from the casing. if you have these be careful and always wear a skid lid. 15 miles then trash. this was the crappiest piece of crap i have ever put on my beloved cannondale

Submitted by Coyote a cross-country rider from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I loved the tread pattern of these tires but I was severely dissapointed when after only a few short weeks the black tread material started peeling away from the casing. It is a shame that tires that hooked up so well in mud, loamy dirt, hard pack, and gravel begin to tear after such a short time period. I now ride Conti dual traction pros......can't beat em !!

Submitted by steve a weekend warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just bought one of these tires for my rear after my Specialized Cannibal S blew out on the week-end. I've only ridden on it for a couple of hours but it's quite smooth on the road and provides excellent traction off of it. The grip looks fantastic and I'm sure handling will be much better than the crappy Specialized ones. It certainly can't be any worse.