Onza Aggro/Honch Older Tires

2.79/5 (33 Reviews)

Aggro/Honch Kevlar

Submitted by Micah Radnich a Downhiller from Norco, CA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    durability for more than a couple seasons, confidence inspiring cornering. Much lighter than my current tires, almost half!

Weaknesses:    side wall thickness.

Bottom Line:
been riding with heavy downhill tires weighing almost 1300 grams each. The WTB's had sidewall issues, tearing and such but were a 2.4 and much heavier. they were oem on the bike and sucked. Went to the Kenda's 2.6 and although heavy have been good except for the side wall cracking really bad. Nothing cornered as well as the aggro/honch set up on my previous bike. Very tough tire. When I sold my last bike I sold it less tires. I actually installed them back on my wifes new giant hard tail so she wouldn't wash out in the sand.- Air up, dig in, turn and hang on. These things carve!! Wish i could find them new again.

Favorite Trail:   fullerton loop

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   WTB Moto Raptor, Kenda Kolossal DH stick-e.

Bike Setup:   Giant DS3 full suspension

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Canton, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2008

Strengths:    Great grip, doesn't wash out on corners

Weaknesses:    none in my opinion

Bottom Line:
This tire lasted me forever, as a matter of fact, it's still in good shape. I only switched to go bigger!

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velocoraptor, Intense Edge FRO

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-3, Junior T Downhill fork, Vanilla Rock Shock on the rear, Intense Edge FRO front and back

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Great traction, lightweight

Weaknesses:    some batches had "detachable knobs"

Bottom Line:
Man, oh, man! I sure wish somebody would reissue this tread pattern because both these tires were great! The Aggro is just the best front tire I've ever ridden and the Honch was a great rear tire. When OnZa ran into trouble, I glommed onto as many of these as I could...and now I've run out.

The thing about the knobs was true sometimes: one or more of the batches were made a little thin (for weight) and the damn knobs would come off of them under hard cornering or rocky trails. Ahh, but to have the good ones was mtb heaven.

Favorite Trail:   Mezcal's Maze

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Submitted by Brian a Cross-Country Rider from Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Strengths:
fairly good grip

Weaknesses:
Knobs fall off

Bottom Line:
These tires worked fairly good until the knobs fell off after only two months of hard trail riding. First one started to go and then dozens of knobs on both sides. I would recommend WTB or IRC to anyone over these. My IRCs lasted for a long time. I'd give it 0 stars if I could.

none yet

3 months

Panaracer Dart
IRC Mythos
WTB Velociraptor

Jamis Diablo LE
Manitou SX
9 speed Sram ESP 9.0sl

Submitted by T.S. a cross-country rider from lake forest

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I think some of the vast differences in opinion here might be attributed to steel VS. kevlar beaded tires. I have run an AGGRO on the front and RIP on the back of my bike with excellent durability. Both are Steel bead! I have had other tires (kevlar bead) that have not held up well at all (knobs ripping off). Yeah I know about the weight penalty for steel beads but I prefer the durability.

Submitted by Pablo a weekend warrior from Germany

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the Onza Aggro because my front end was coming out from under me on turns where there was sand. I had a Pana Dart on the front and could never get it to hold a line. The Aggro rocks! At 2.1 it keeps a great line and bites into everything in its way. I still have the Pana Smoke on the rear.

Submitted by Tom a cross-country rider from SLO town CA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got this tire from Cambria for 9 bucks and I figured it could not be that bad. It is pretty heavy although it rails like amtrack in the hardpack with loose gravel I ride in. I can not believe people are ripping it apart. Maybe they had a bad bunch of rubber?

Submitted by Thomas a cross-country rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I gotta say that I'm very pleased with that tire and I never had any real problems concerning pinchflats etc. I only noticed that when the tire was brandnew it starts throwing gravel at you. You get used to that. :)
O.k. this is for the fifty word thing. 48 49 50

Submitted by Ryan a cross-country rider from Southern Idaho

Date Reviewed: January 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had my kevlar Aggro for at least a year, and I've had zero problemas. I think all these unfortunate riders got dished some bad rubber, maybe a short-lived manufacturer defect? Onza rocks, don't blame them. These tires are fast in hardpack and really hold the corners, even dry loose dirt is a breeze. I've cleaned some insane downhills and I still have all my tread, it looks almost like new. Cinco chilies for Onza! Cinco chilies for the Onza Aggro!

Submitted by Chris Scott a racer from Ukiah, CA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

The tire worked... for about a day until all the knobbies ripped off. Other
than that, it worked well.

Submitted by kevin a cross-country rider from colo springs co

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

like many others I got the pair on closeout and for the $15 each sale price
they were pretty grippy tires but the rear didn't hold out for very long (about
3 mos) before 6 inches of tread came flyin' off.

Submitted by damon farrar a weekend warrior from tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

i bought the aggro on a closeout for about $15. the thing grabs corners in the dirt like a horny nympho on your ass. i have not experienced the knobs ripping off and have ridden the tire now for about two months. if you can find it in a catalog for cheap on closeout or something, buy it. it is a good hard pack tire. and hey, you can save your good stuff for the week before the race you're getting ready for.and to the person that corrected other people's spelling of too, check yourself, if you look it up you'll find that there as you used it to describe onza's financial status is actually spelled their. anyone who finished 8th grade english with a c or above should know that.show 'em yer nuts and ride hard.

Submitted by John Ray a weekend warrior from Lithgow Australia

Date Reviewed: January 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

Fairly ordinary performance for both the Aggro and the Honch, but the construction is poor particularly on the Aggro. I managed to rip a side lug off the case on the very first ride and within 100km I had 42 lugs flapping or missing.They gave me new one but I would have been happier with a Farmer John (now there was a tire you couldn't trash.... you coudn't climb, corner or accelerate but hey!) The Honch lasted a little better but a mate killed one within 200km with lugs torn off and carcase frayed.

Submitted by john limbaugh a racer from wa

Date Reviewed: January 22, 1997

Bottom Line:

the aggro is an execellent front tire, though a bit heavy. it has a harder rubber compound than most. lay the front of the bike into a corner and it
grips like none i've seen

Submitted by John a cross-country rider from CO

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

Such poor wear; less than 200 miles and the knobs ripped off to the bead. Too bad they are such poor quality as I liked the feel and grab of these tires on loose Pikes Peak gravel.