Maxxis Helter Skelter Older Tires

3.75/5 (16 Reviews)

Maxxis Helter Skelter

Submitted by Danny a Weekend Warrior from Orange,Ca

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2005

Strengths:    On single track rough stuff with lots of drops and berms it is great. No flats as of yet and seems to wear well

Weaknesses:    On fire road or loose wide open stuff the front end washes out without warning and makes you slow down because its so unpredictable.

Bottom Line:
I dont like this tire,ya know this whole review thaing is a point of view so i wont bad mouth the company or the tire,but its not the one for me

Favorite Trail:   Im confused now

Bike Setup:   99 ironhorse,xt stuff blahhh

Submitted by gem gibe a Cross Country Rider from philippines

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    ...Skelter only..bites well. I experience little or no rolling at dry conditions. Very good uphill.

Weaknesses:    Not that good when terrain has lots of big rocks and when condition is wet.

Bottom Line:
....big bang for the buck..at least for me, i got it at such a low price. ;-)

Favorite Trail:   ...local trail...

Purchased At:   a local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Kenda

Bike Setup:   Cross country/downhill

Submitted by Spannerhead a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    Fair FRont for XC work. Good in dry/mud

Weaknesses:    Rear is a bit dodgy in snot/mud. Slides sideways too easily on corners due to paddle tread.

Bottom Line:
I bought these because I loved the 2.35 DH version and thought these would be a good narrower tyre for XC work. Wrong! They are not anywhere near the panaracer Dh magics that I regard as the optimum XC/DH all rounder.

Just goes to show, some tyres are good one size only!

They are not really a bad tyre, i have ridden loads of really crappy tyres (Z-Max, Tioga Psychos etc). But make sure they are cheap if you really don't mind a hospitalisation..

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer DH Magic (Far superior!)

Bike Setup:   Kona stinky

Submitted by Ben Gehret a Cross Country Rider from Las Flores, Ca

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    They are 2.1's, but fit like 2.3's. Great cornering traction. The front tire hooks up well on any surface. The rear tire climbs well. Durable. Only one pinch flat in a month.

Weaknesses:    I have the Red and Grey rubber compound. After one trip to Moab, and the rear tire was shot. No tread left what so ever. Stick with the black compound.

Bottom Line:
These tires are great when they are new, but the soft rubber compound wore out after aobut 80 miles of riding at Moab. I recommend the black rubber. I only paid $15.00 for the pair, so no big deal. The front tire is definitely a keeper. I will probably run a panaracer 2.3 Fire DH on the rear from now on. Those things last forever. WWW.teambasso.com

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Hutchinson Alligators, Specialized Team Control, Panaracer Fire DH. Velociraptors.

Bike Setup:   2000 Cannondale 900F sx with lefty, and Hayes Disc Brakes

Submitted by Scott a Downhiller from Wayne, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Strengths:    the knobs on the downhill version are great. i haven't slipped on the yet. very thick side walls

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
thease are great tires! i give them 5 flaming bananas and check out www.downhillonline.com for all you downhillers

Purchased At:   from factory on salebye

Similar Products Used:   specialized,irc,intense

Bike Setup:   fsr ground control, full downhill, maguras,rockshox,xtr

Submitted by Julien a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Strengths:    Nice colours(Red & Grey), Wide, Reasonably stable

Weaknesses:    Front tyre grip for cornering, Rear tyre traction and rolling resistance on hard pack

Bottom Line:
As you can see by the rims that I run, I ride hard. I had to sell my Giant because I broke it too often and I'm now on my second swingarm on the VRX. The front tyre is stable to a point, never letting you expect that it is going to wash out, which it does suddenly. The rear tyre does not brake well, it skids too easily. It does not have good traction for climbing and on hard pack the tyre gets to a speed where it starts to hum and the rolling resistance increases dramatically. The front tyre is still better than a velociraptor, but I rather run the velociraptor rear. More traction and better braking. Going to try Conti vertical pros.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   Wildgripper, Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   2000 VRX400 with adjustable linklage, X-Vert T Dual crown, World Force rims

Submitted by Kyle Pennell a Weekend Warrior from whatcom county,wa

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Strengths:    Good grip on most conditions.

Weaknesses:    Wears fast for price and kevlar

Bottom Line:
It's okay but not for price

Favorite Trail:   High Mountain Trail

Purchased At:   Tire

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Seattle WA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Strengths:    Great grip in general on dirt and rock. Good bite in corners if you trust them and really LEAN. Clear mud well.

Weaknesses:    ROOTS!

Bottom Line:
I'm inclined to really like these tires, but ultimately can't trust them for the type of riding I do. Like I say in "Strengths", they're nice, aggressive tires that grip very well in most situations and are a good choice for all-around riding.
However, when the going gets wet and you're riding criss-crossy roots, these tires collectively become Mr. Hyde and Will Kill You. You will be on the ground, Hurting, before your favorite one-syllable expletive has even been completely formulated in your astonished brain, much less come close to leaving your mouth.
If you regularly ride over lots of wet, snot-slick wood, do yourself a favor and forget about these tires (I've seen some bad reviews, but I've had really good luck in such conditions with those FireXC's and will stick with them - despite their acknowledged ability to pack up with mud, I feel they're worth it). However, if you live and ride in a dry climate, I say get a Helter/Skelter set, because they absolutely rock when it's not wet out.
I give 'em 3 Chilis for value because I have no idea how much they cost (I swapped them in for the dinky semi slicks my bike came with), and gave them 4 Chilis for their overall performance - they're like a 5 in dry, maybe a dangerous 2 in wet, rooty environments, and I figure that averages out to a realistic 4 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith area

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitters (with new bike)

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer FireXC Pros (2.1)
Ritchey ZMax (2.3)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight X Disc with Z-1 XFly and various weight-weeny upgrades

Submitted by Greg Rouillard a Cross Country Rider from Yuma, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Strengths:    Good traction

Weaknesses:    Wore out quickly

Bottom Line:
Nice tires but the knobs wore out after about 4 months of racing and fun riding. The casing was susceptible to cuts in the rock and cactus of Arizona, but the tread was great for loose sandy conditions. Lots of traction from the rear tire and the front kept everything under control.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Laguna/Noble Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, WTB, Continental

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown Pro

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Quakertown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    Wider than a Georgia trailer.

Weaknesses:    wider than a georgia trailer

Bottom Line:
I bought these when I lived in California years back. They were ideal for fast fire roads and the southern California terrain. But if you live in the northeast were there is alot of rock and root, "forgedaboudit." Go find yourself a cross country specific tire. I've been pinch flat master of Pennsylvania.

Favorite Trail:   high rocks state park

Bike Setup:   Giant Atx 990

Submitted by Bike Master Mike a Racer from Canton, MI

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2000

Strengths:    AWESOME TRACTION! in the dry
Wider than a mofo

Weaknesses:    Freakin horrible in mud.
Almost too wide

Bottom Line:
These tires are unbelievable in dry and loose conditions
In mud, they are unpredictable in cornering and the rear just spins like crazy. The rear tire has about 3mm of clearance on each side. I had to make sure the rear wheel was dished perfect. It rubbed a little at first on the left side. For braking, its pretty hard to lock the front tire up off road. It grips very well.

These tires also rock on pavement. The side blocks are super thick and rigid and you never have to worry about the tires washing out on the street. I have owned tires with thin side blocks and they were horrible on and off road.

I got these tires for free when a mail order company screwed up and sent them to make my girlfriend happy. I always thought Maxxis tires were cheap crappy tires, but they are very nice. Ill preobably buy these again, but in 1.95". The new gray and red dual compound tires look pretty nice-only available in 2.1" though.

Favorite Trail:   Yankee Springs

Similar Products Used:   ALL

Bike Setup:   Trek Y OCLV

Submitted by Don F. a Cross-Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1999

Strengths:
Hook up well, good front tire for heavy guys like me, plenty of traction in back on hardpack/sand, loose bead on front makes tire change easy.

Weaknesses:
Knobs do make it hard to dismount front for car carriage, and rear knobs do hit front derailluer sometimes.

Bottom Line:
These have been good tires front and rear. The Specialized Team Control seemed to hook up better, but pinch flatted once too often at 60 lbs. I agree that these may be oversized, and a bit heavy, but big guys need big knobs, and I'm pushing 215 lbs. They seem to accelerate up to speed quicker that the Panaracers, too. A friend has used the red versions (softer durometer rubber) on his hardtail Bridgestone MB-4 w/ rigid fork too; he likes 'em just as well and they match his bike color. 5 grilled green chiles!

Starr Pass

3 months

WTB Velociraptor, Panaracer Dart, Smoke, Specialized Team Control, IRC Mythos, various rear semi-slicks

Dual suspension and hardtail, RockShox Mag-21's on both.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from socal

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1999

Strengths:
Nice wide tire for a 2.1
corners great,climbs very well, best breaking tire i've ever used

Weaknesses:
None yet

Bottom Line:
One great rear tire !
A little heavy for X-country raceing.but great for freeride!!!!!

to many to list!

less than 1 month

Panarace magic's,tioga dh,most of the IRC line

Diamondback x-6, kujo DH 2.35f maxxis skelter2.1r

Submitted by Allister a Cross-Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1999

Strengths:
Cushy,Meaty, Grippy, Massive Side Lugs

Weaknesses:
2.1 are more like 2.3

Bottom Line:
I like em. They Grip. Lean more on the front in hard leaners. I've switching both my bikes to these babies. The sizing they use is a little off. The 2.1 were more like 2.3's. I had 2.1 on the rear of my Fisher and Ritchy. When I leaned hard the side lugs rubbed my chainstays. 1.95 is as big as you can go in the rear unless they come out with 2.0. Glad I caught that rubbing noise before I ate thru my stays. I'll give em 4. 5 had i got to keep my 2.1 on the rear.

All of em

3 months

IRC Mythos, Panaracer Dart Smoke, Continental Traction Pro, Navigator Pro

Ritchy ST and Fisher Long Travel FS

Submitted by Dat a Cross-Country Rider from Fayetteville

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1999

Strengths:
Good treads for climbing

Weaknesses:
Knobbies too large, rubs against front derailleur

Bottom Line:
Climbs were a blast but knobbies unpredictable downhill and when I'm on my granny chainring, my derailleur and chain keeps rubbing the knobs.

Lake Fayetteville

less than 1 month

IRC Pirrhana Pro

Barracuda A2T with Marzocchi Z3 Lite

Helter Skelter was 'open' today

... and I did not bring a camera! Sorry for that. If anybody took a picture please post. Now, the trail was not advertised as open. But the entry (as well as the exit) was clearly marked and no closed sign was posted. The trail in itself was not marked. I doubt it ever will, nor does it actually ... Read More »