Marin Quake 7.0 Tire Older Tires

3.93/5 (14 Reviews)

Marin Quake 7.0 Tire

Submitted by Liamski a Weekend Warrior from Czek

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2001

Strengths:    traction is nice, if you are able to observe this tires has a dry and wet configuration by reversing it. the dry config is good even in wet. nice design spikes which results in good traction.

Weaknesses:    wear quickly and mine has slight 2 cracks. not much of a traction traction in a dry loose soily ground. hard to find.

Bottom Line:
ive got the 2.1. stock on my other bike. i am satisfied with the performance. buy this if you can find one.

Submitted by Rich a racer from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

This tire, made by WTB, upholds their tradition of making great products. These tires came stock on my Marin MTB, and I wore them out. I wish they were easier to find- have only seen them come on Marin MTBs. The front tire is pretty round, has pretty low rolling resistance and corners very well in most types of terrain and soil conditions. The side blocks are strong and won't roll over under any circumstances. You get good feedback with this front tire. It seldom washes; more often, it may slide when pushed to the limit but then grabs something on the trail to give you back your line. The rear tire wore out faster than the front, which may last forever. That is not unusual for me. The rear gives good traction in a variety of circumstances- an excellent all-around tire. Only downside was weight- because I got the wire bead models, they were not ideal for racing. But for bombing around with your buddies, these will please you.

Submitted by JayCee a cross-country rider from SF, CA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

You can buy these at Marin Dealers, but not anymore. Lightweight grey tires that have a soft compound- great for loose and medium firm soil. They are light and float over most small/med bumps. Mud will plug them up easily- forget about sand. Again, good soil tire. Sidewalls flex like licorice stick. Rolls fast on road. Wears quickly on anything hard, but lightweight and cheap. Not for hardpack or loose rocks/gravel.

Submitted by Chad a downhiller

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

Uhh No? these things just spin in mud and they corner like, well they don't corner, one more problem they don't stay on the rim. I have a Mavic 220 and at about 50 psi I have rolled the front one off twice. don't worry though, they only come on Marin bikes and you can't buy them seperately, at least anywhere I have looked

Submitted by Don a cross-country rider from Tallahassee

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

There not bad but thier not great either. I can't wait for my Dan and Dave's to come in. The quake is just a little to lose for me. I like a tire that has some bite to it.

Submitted by Peter White a downhiller from Norwich, Blighty

Date Reviewed: March 27, 1997

Bottom Line:

All I can say is that I burn down whopping great hills on my small frame trials bike that I built myself and these tyres stick and absorb IMPACT! Forget suspension, get these! Well smart!
One day I hope to emulate the best trials rider of all time; MINT SAUCE!
The tyres are great as I can run then at low pressures, of about 30 psi, and because of their resistance to snakebites and my light weight, they don't puncture easily (actually it's because I'm way cool, but you wouldn't know about that; BEND DOWN AND WORSHIP ME, SLUGS!). I would recommend these tyres to anyone, although they are becoming hard to get here in the U.K.(I purchased mine from Apple Pie in Norwich about 6 months ago). SUCK MY TREAD!

Submitted by Lee a weekend warrior from California, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

Marin Quake 7.1 rear tire, 26*2.0, kevlar bead, 120 TPI
Came on Marin bikes, weighs 22oz (624g mass) for a worn sampleHardpack / medium: 4 -- generally good
Soft / dusty: 3 -- ok, not great
Rocks: 4 -- generally good
Mud: 4 -- clogs but clears quickly
Road: 1 -- high rolling resistanceThis is a decent rear tire, though there are better rear tires. It does wear
kind of quickly.

Submitted by chris a cross-country rider from Armagh, Northern Ireland

Date Reviewed: January 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

I'm suprised to see such good reviews given about these TYRES (I see you Americans still haven't learnt to spell!), as over here the British media don't seem to like them at all. Perhaps its just the different weather conditions?Personally, I love them as a good all round tyre, especially the front weather directional version.

Submitted by Chris Seymour a racer from Southampton - U.K.

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1996

Bottom Line:

These tyres are really good all-round performers. They excell in both the wet and dry, with the only problems occuring when you take them over wet rock. Turning them round also makes a real differance - something which does not always work with tyres (even when reccomended by the manufacturer). In short brillinat tyres, although they may wear a bit fast. Its a pity they have now been dropped in favour of Velociraptors, although I suspect this is just due to the Velociraptors high, well known image.

Submitted by kris a cross-country rider from Porkbend, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1996

Bottom Line:

Still looking for my replacement for these tires. I've tried e-mailing Marin about getting my hands on a pair and they've stonewalled me. I guess they're too busy to help a loyal customer find joy.
These tires are great. For me they were the perfect balance between stick and kick. I never had a traction problem, even in slick mud on slopes. They corner well with just a hint of tread hum on the steep angle. Can't think of anything bad to say about them.I got 3000 km out of my rear tires. I have about 2000 km left on my front. I replaced the pair with Velociraptors and was underwhelmed.

Submitted by Dirty Geo a cross-country rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1996

Bottom Line:

These tires came with my Marin Pine Mountain. I have been happy with them to date. They're lightweight and handle rather well in very wet Pacific Northwest conditions. One downside, these tires wear very quickly.

Submitted by Bill Stratford a cross-country rider from SF CA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1996

Bottom Line:

I enjoyed these tires a ton. Move really well though the loose gravel
and babyheads of the Marin County fire roads - especially good responsiveness
on the front. Very light and supple tires, but a bit too soft and sticky
- I'm ditching the rear after only 1000 mi mixed off-road and SF city
commuting. Didn't work too bad as commuting tires either... I'd buy
another rear except that they weren't conveniently available. Changed
to a velociraptor rear which looks the same but has bigger knobs and
isn't so great on the SOMA crawl.... too much drag.

Submitted by Dan K. from truckee

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

These are my girlfriend's tires that came on her Marin. I thought I'd try them out for the day and this way I could post a review! The front was designed by WTB and rides like the Velociraptor, but a little faster due to the lower knobs. It corners about the same but the Velociraptor is a little more sketchy on hardpack. The front is a good tire. The rear isn't that great. It rolled fast but it didn't want to stop or climb that well. And in sandy soil it was utterly horrible. It has a somewhat paddle pattern so I thought it'd do well in the loose but it just didn't perform. The front is good while the rear is average.

Submitted by Rod Randall a cross-country rider from Western Australia

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1996

Bottom Line:

These tyres come standard with Marins and I'm pretty cheesed off
that they don't sell them separately. I used them for nearly a whole season untill
the knobs were allmost worn off and it was only untill the end
that the front started to feel unstable in the dry loose gravel
and rear traction became an issue!!! These tyres have an amazing
capacity to track straight even on the side of a wheel rut where a lesser
tyre would dump you down into the rut! It didn't seem to matter
what sort of surface I rode on they were confidence inspiring.
If you see a set in a shop that some twit didn't want cause they wanted sliks
fitted to thier bike GRAB EM.