Manitou Fang Tire Older Tires

4.27/5 (15 Reviews)

Manitou Fang Tire kevlar

Submitted by Simon Barker a Cross Country Rider from St. Catharines, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    1. Finally! Traction!
2. Its the FANG!!!!
3. Awesome cornering and braking.
4. Tread blocks that look like bats!

Weaknesses:    REAR TIRE ONLY!

Bottom Line:
Best rear tire I've ever used. I have to find more! MORE!

Many, many chilis for you.

Favorite Trail:   The Murder Horn

Purchased At:   Liberty! bikes

Similar Products Used:   Blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Submitted by Nicolas a Racer from santiago CHILE

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2000

Strengths:    good in hardpack, a lot of traction in mid-wet terrains, extra rear specific.

Weaknesses:    rocky terrain and too wet conditions ( mud mud mud )

Bottom Line:
If you ride in a semi wet condition this is the tire for you, the difficult part is find it, but if you see it in your neighbour bike store BUY IT !!, is a very long lasting tire. Try to use it with a high pressure, and go to your favourite trail, you will feel the difference, remember to use it on the rear. I use two of them rear and front and the front dont works good, only in the street.

Bye, Chao, adios

Es un super buen neumatico para terrenos semi duros y medios blandos usenlos con harta presion 45 o 50 psi o sii no no sentiran la diferencia, si no tienen suspension atras bajen la presion a 25 y veran como amortiguan.

Favorite Trail:   güitreras

Similar Products Used:   kenda's, panaracer smoke, irc mythos

Bike Setup:   trek frame, manitou sx fork, xt brakes, mavic 117 sup ceramic rims.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from South Bend, IN

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Strengths:    Great for soft conditions
Grips corners like death holding a fat man
reasonable weight
Great wear

Weaknesses:    Holds mud better than corners
Can't find them anywhere

Bottom Line:
If you ride softpack, this tire rules. In back, grips well on climbs, up front, holds in corners so tight you may skin your knee before they give out. At moderate speeds, if they do give out, they hook back up with just a little verticle lean.

Wear has been fantastic. I've gone through two frames since i bought the pair I have now. That's only three years(how likely is it to get rear-ended on two separate occasions with your bike on a rack hanging out back?), but still. These tires have had thorns pierce them and been ridden on pavement for commuting (where they are noisy), but they have worn so well I'm riding them again this year.

Only downside is riding in mud. With the Fangs, plan on taking a good hunk of the trail home with you.

Submitted by Mud Bug a weekend warrior from Lafayette, LA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

Pros
- lite weight
- sheds ok, narrow profile allows for great frame clearance
- ok climber
- accelerates wellCons
- does not corner well
- does not like roots
- front washes in turns

Submitted by John D. a weekend warrior from MD

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1997

Bottom Line:

I use the Fang on the rear. Light, with very little rolling resistence considering the sidewalls are so soft. This may be a problem with heavier riders. Cornering seems neutral and very, very grippy. Some slip when climbing wet roots and rocks, but as good as any tire I've tired. Climbing performance is generally excellent. Great bite when braking. Excellent tire overall. I got mine at Frankford Bicycle for $26.95. Pretty cheap for a kevlar rear tire.

Submitted by John a racer from South Bend, IN.

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1997

Bottom Line:

I think this is a good tire but not for anyone over 170lbs. I weigh 195 and the knobs had a tendency to cave in a bit. These tire like to be pumped up hard. Another problem is the fact that they wear kinda quick. The tires offer excellent traction in most situations but I'm just to heavy for them. If you are a light weight and you have wide rims, this is a great all around tire.

Submitted by Spanky a cross-country rider from salinas ca

Date Reviewed: February 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

Greetings!
A great tire for the rear.....but no good up front. Keep it pumped up firm too!

Submitted by Smoothrider a cross-country rider from Western Nebraska

Date Reviewed: January 1, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have been running Fangs on my bike for about 8 months now. These tires wear incredibly well. I ride mostly on hard pack and loose gravel and these are some of the best tires I have found. I was sceptical at first about using a Fang on the front, mostly because it does not have the trendy directional look to it. But as a front tire I have zero complaints. Cornering and braking is very predictable on the front. As for the rear, this tire can climb with the best of them. Braking is superb on the rear also. I really enjoy being able to stick to the side of ruts instead of falling into them for a change! The weight and price are also reasonable. Two bar ends up for the Manitou Fang!!

Submitted by walter Strikkers a cross-country rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: December 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

The best front tire I have riden on loose gravel and rocky ground. Far better than Panaracer Dart/onza rip-rail. Very good!!

Submitted by Chris Seymour a racer from Southampton - Britain

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1996

Bottom Line:

These tyres are really good, and cornering is one of their best traits. Although not a tyre for the mud (well not in my experience) in the dry, it excels on both hard pack and forest trail. An excellent first for Manitou.

Submitted by Damon Kirchmeier a cross-country rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1996

Bottom Line:

On my second ride on the Fangs, several of the side knobs tore right off of the casing and the retailer wouldn't replace them.

Submitted by kris a cross-country rider from Booneywhak, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1996

Bottom Line:

I've been on Fangs for a day and a half now and I like 'em. I've been looking for a replacement for the Marin Quakes since I don't seem to be able to get Quakes in the aftermarket waaaaaay up here in Booneywhak, Canada.The Fangs have a bunch going for it: They stick real well in soft pack. They don't resist rolling on hardpack. They corner real tight without collapsing or loosing their grip on either the front or back.The front and back tires are the same so you can rotate front to back and not end up with a half worn front tire when your back tire is slick. This is a major bonus. The kevlar is light, the steel is a bit more bogged down but still light enough for most riders who are anal about the grams.Me like Fangs. Fangs make kris happy.

Submitted by Dan K. from ca

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

I got one on the back of my bike and it's perfect!! A 2.1, but it's more like a 2.0, it's lightweight and does everything perfectly for XC racing. The tread is kind of soft for excellent climbing but it doesn't wear as fast as that junky panaracer dusterpro that I had last month. It wears and climbs like my excellent Onza Rip, but it stops a lot better. I guess you could use it on the front, but I only have it on the back. It's light and bombproof, and does everything a rear tire should. Costs less than Contis too. Mailorders for about 34 bucks. Not too cheap, not too spendy.

Submitted by Charles Coker a cross-country rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1996

Bottom Line:

I had been wanting to try the Manitou Fang for a while, looked like a good
tread pattern in the mailorder catalogs, but no one talks about them at all.
weird....

For the last year I have sworn by the Conti XC for the rear, and prior
to that the Velociraptor, (along with a million others) this is a GREAT
rear tire, hardpack, dry/dusty, ROCKY, off camber, you name it....
It is light and quick like the XC but holds better in corners, the _one_
area that the XC was a little weak (marginally, still a great rear)

try one....

Submitted by Mark Liberino a cross-country rider from San Marcos, CA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1996

Bottom Line:

I've used quite a few tires now, and I really like the Fangs the best. The traits
I like are the following: A) Great sidewall traction. Especially on singletrack
with off-camber sections. You can pretty much ride on the side of your tire for
a couple of seconds without losing any traction or sliding. B) I use low pressure
in my tires (30 Lbs.) and it doesn't seem to bother them. I've had three sets of
Fangs now, and have yet to get a flat. Usually, you don't want too low of pressure
for fear of pinch flats. These tires are pretty firm, even at low pressure, and
yet they are still very light weight at the same time. Try em You'll like em.