IRC Piranha/Pro Older Tires

3.62/5 (37 Reviews)

PiranhaPro 2.1 kevlar

Submitted by Shoey79 a Weekend Warrior from Kamloops, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    Grip, more grip and lots of grip! Cheap too!

Weaknesses:    None, as long as you don't try to use a rear tire as a front tire.

Bottom Line:
Wicked grip. Got the tire as light cheap tire to make getting up the hill easier, and end up being a good tire for the way down too. Its like a heavy duty single ply tire, it holds up to some really nasty rocks and roots on fast DH runs. I'm amazed that the tire is holding up this good. The lugs just grip anything and the it holds a line ripping in the corners. I don't feel my back end slip out at all.

Favorite Trail:   Harper Mtn

Similar Products Used:   Maxxis, Kenda, Pannaracer, IRC, Schwalbe, Hutchinson, and Vee Rubber.

Bike Setup:   A little Stinky.

Submitted by Zack from SinCity

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Strengths:    Good grip, lightning acceleration and wears well.

Weaknesses:    As everyone else - CORNERS

Bottom Line:
Safe my life before. I was speeding down a road in the rain when I noticed a vehicle coming out of a corner. Jammed on the brakes like gripping for my dear life. The tire just took all the gravity and braking force with little slip. Stopped in time and....I trully recommend this tire for riders with safety conscious. The tire don't work well in corners only if you spins out too fast on extreme angle, that I noticed. Otherwise, slow down and pick-up pace on the turns, just like it was meant to be - fast on the acceleration.

Similar Products Used:   Continental cross country,Geak hubi,Hutchinson mosquito n maxxis wormD/minotaur.

Bike Setup:   stock bike.

Submitted by Michael Nation a Weekend Warrior from Fort Walton Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    Climbs exceptionally well. Fast rolling. Good braking.

Weaknesses:    Front tire slides a little too much, both tires a little too heavy.

Bottom Line:
These are average tires in my opinion. I've ridden these hard and they still show only slight wear. The trails I ride have alot of roots and loose sand. These tires climb roots like nobody's business but handle only adequate in loose sand. I just recently switched to Maxxis Mofo XC and they handle better in most conditions (including mud). The only category were the Pirhana Pro handles better is climbing and braking.

Favorite Trail:   Timberlake (FWB, FL)

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Submitted by Hans from Allentown, PA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2000

Strengths:    Good tread wear and overall durability

Weaknesses:    watch out for performance on wet rocks.

Bottom Line:
I started with the Tioga rear tire and it didn't climb like I wanted, but the Piranha Pro grabs the trail great! Over a summer season of heavy use (500+ miles of technical Eastern PA singletrack) they wore well. I shredded the tread on this tire and it never stopped working. As a side note, I just got the Continental Traction tires, and hope they compare in quality.

Purchased At:   Bike Line - Allentown, PA

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Psycho TT, Continental Traction

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500, stock components

Submitted by aaron siegler a Cross Country Rider from atlanta

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2000

Strengths:    they last long

Weaknesses:    like everyone else, corners

Bottom Line:
they were good beginner tires, and i learned to land standing on my feet when the bike slid out underneath me.

Favorite Trail:   none

Submitted by Lasse Rasanen a Cross Country Rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Strengths:    Great acceleration & braking.
Light.

Weaknesses:    Unpredictable in corners.

Bottom Line:
These things came stock on my bike and they've given me some extra heartthrobs because when they let go in a corner they do it FAST. Apart from letting go in corners I love'em.

Similar Products Used:   Nothing this light.

Bike Setup:   Tunturi Equillar XT & RockShox Judy SL & full XT

Submitted by Josh Nicholls a Cross-Country Rider from Ladysmith, British Columbia

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
It climbs like a fricken batt out of hell plain and simple :).

Weaknesses:
Unpredictable on low down corners.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is, if you want a wheel that can make you move if you want to, get this tire ASAP. It accelerates like you would NOT believe and its a a pretty predictable tire overall. 4 because heh the unpredictablity part.

My back yard.

less than 1 month

I can't really compare this thin.

Oxford Alt-3000.

Submitted by a Cross-Country Rider from North Bay,Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 6, 1999

Strengths:
-all condition climbing braking

Weaknesses:
-sidewalls are splitting corners unpredictably

Bottom Line:
The rear tire has proven itself on a variety of surfaces;it sticks like glue on any sort of climb. Too bad about the aforementioned splits because the tread has held up really well. The front tire is squirmy on hardpacked trails; watch the corners. Use something else up front.

Bataan Death Ride

6 months

-various Contis

-Equipe/Bomber

Submitted by Dennis a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland, Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
What is everyone talking about. These tires are horrable! I can not trust them for anything. They consistantly wash out on me and never stick on hard pack, sand, mud, or just about anything else.

1 Year

Submitted by Kevin a cross-country rider from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: December 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

These tires came stock on my bike and the rear is now completely worn out after only 4 months of riding. They do a decent job climbing and in the staight line but they sure do suck in the corners. I wiped out the first time I took a downhill corner pretty aggressively. I'd definately go with different tires.

Submitted by David Deak a cross-country rider from Europe

Date Reviewed: June 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had these tires for almost 2 years now, they still don't need to be relaced. Everyones comments on these seem to be pretty accurate; They climb well, accelerate well, last long.....but they are the scariest in fast, loose soiled (eg gravel), steep corners. I have tried other tires, and these seem to be the worst in cornering. You can't really predict when they will give way. If you 'rail' the bike with total focus and caution, they work. The Piranha Pro's have limited me to not go as fast as I want to in corners. Soon I will probably buy a new set of tires.....such as Specialized Team Master/Control, or IRC Mythos. The Piranha Pro's deserve a 2.5 chili rating...but today I feel generous, so I give it 3!!

Submitted by Andrew T. Arroyo a cross-country rider from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was pretty happy with these tires for the first four or five months of use. They had a nice agressive tread and gripped well. I did notice, though, that like everyone's been mentioning they aren't the best in the corners. Since the rainy season started I've realized that when it's muddy out they're crap every else too. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they grip really well for the first five feet or so, but after that they are so helplessly packed that I might as well be riding slicks. Overall, a good tire for dry hard packed trails with slow turns.

Submitted by Johan Sahlin a cross-country rider from Elmhult SWEDEN

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have a pair of Piranha and like them. They are very good allround-tires.
Wonderfull grip uphill but still lightrolling straight.

Submitted by Guinness from Darmstadt, Germany

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1997

Bottom Line:

Great grip in mud, really helps you climb even in very difficult conditions, but VERY scary in corners (especially on gravel).

Submitted by Cole Eslinger a racer from Cochrane,Alberta,Canada

Date Reviewed: July 6, 1997

Bottom Line:

I think this is a great all around tire I find very good traction in mud and preety good climbing traction very little slippage