Hutchinson On the Rocks Tire Older Tires

3.2/5 (25 Reviews)

Hutchinson On the Rocks

Submitted by Lauren a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    Very beefy feel, sweet deal.

Weaknesses:    Do not shed mud, flat out on every use (what up wit dat?) heavy heavy heavy especially on light racing x-country rigs like mine, pick up loose gravel and flat out constantly. Maybe sale & use should be confined to places like Utah or with gigantic big rocks. Horrible in this area with mix of mud and rock.

Bottom Line:
Have used other Hutchinson products and am really surprised at just how bad these are. After first couple of flats, thought I hadn't made appropriate sacrifices to the tire gods, but once remedied that I had to get rid of them because they flat out no matter where I'm riding or what kind of terrain there is. Feel wobbly in sharp turns making me not want to push the envelope. Don't quite see how these are good on any rocks, but they do make me want to take a rock to them. Bad job Hutchinson!

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element Tsc w/XTR standard set-up.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2006

Strengths:    Good traction front and back. Great cornering.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Narrow. Slow rolling and a labour to pedal on the back. Heavy casing gives a harsh ride.

Bottom Line:
I bought this 'cos the bike shop had it on special, it looked good in the box and had a folding bead. It was a 1.9, and looked every bit as skinny, too. Depsite that skinnyness, it had a stiff sidewall that made it heavy. I initially ran it on the back, but it was a prick to pedal so I put it on the front.

For a skinny tyre, this thing really carved the turns, even on the gravelly, loose tracks I routinely ride. I attribute this to the big side blocks that hang out the side, and the square profile. A fatter version of this, with a light XC casing, would be great.

Alas, it was on my beloved Balance when it was stolen, so I can't speak of longevity... :(

Favorite Trail:   Various around central Vic.

Purchased At:   Gilmore Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Various Tioga, Panaracer, WTB, Syncros and other rubber.

Bike Setup:   Balance AL450 hardtail with Mag 21 and STXRC.

Submitted by João Esteves a Cross Country Rider from Lisbon Portugal

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2003

Strengths:    Strong tire, good traction in rainy conditions (26x2.1)

Weaknesses:    Very bad in asphalt (vibrations). Exclusive OFF ROAD tire.

Bottom Line:
It's generally a good tire in any conditions. Polivalent, cheap and resistent. It's not a good idea to use this tire in asphalt, for many km's. I think it's a good choice.

Favorite Trail:   Montalegre Larouco

Purchased At:   Loja das bicicletas/ benfica

Similar Products Used:   Rithey Z max 1.9

Bike Setup:   Hot chili Zymotic

Submitted by Chocolate Elvis a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2002

Strengths:    Tough

Weaknesses:    Heavy, useless in mud.

Bottom Line:
Had these put on after a mean double "puncture" out of town as the only half-decent thing they had in the local shop. Felt the rolling resistance straight away, these are heavy suckers. OK on hard-packed dry trail, the big side knobs are a nuissance when cornering hard. Absolutely hopeless in mud - they fill quickly with clay and become "slicks". Far too pricey for what they offer. Would have never bought them if there was anything better to choose from.
Getting rid of them ASAP.

Submitted by Zbynek Nyklicek a Cross Country Rider from Prague, Czech republic

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2002

Strengths:    Extreme grip on any dry surface, little bit worse in muddy conditions. Excellent self cleaning. Very good for rear tyre. Try the 2.1 version!

Weaknesses:    In muddy conditions...but not too much.

Bottom Line:
I`ve ridden these tires for about 5 years. By my opinion it`s the best hardcore tire I ever had. Exceptionaly small number of punctures and snake bites, very hard compound ideal for rocky terrain in my city - Prague has a lot of woods with mud, pine needles and rocks :-) Also in downhill are these tires very good, excellent stability by hi speed cornering with minimum amount of slides and wash outs. I`ve used them in combination with Hutchy`s Rock X Country II 1.95 on a front wheel. Very good combination - try it!

Favorite Trail:   Prokopske udoli (Prokop`s Valley in Prague)

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Dart II/Smoke II 2.1

Bike Setup:   Amulet Maxima, Shimano STX, WCW V-brakes, Marzocchi Zokes 2 susp. fork (old, but awesome:-)

Submitted by John Webb a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee, FL

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2000

Strengths:    Great on hardpack or rocks

Weaknesses:    Terrible in sand or soft spots. Lots of rolling resistance.

Bottom Line:
The name says it all. If you live in a sandy (or soft mud) area, do NOT buy these tires. It felt like something grabbed ahold of the bike as soon as I hit sand or a soft spot. I've never felt more resistence. The front tire would track right off the trail if I hit a sandy spot on a curve - I never had this problem with the Mythos XC. I can't speak too much for their handling on rocks, but they seemed to handle well on the bit of hardpack clay we have around this area. Overall, I hate these tires, but I would be willing to give them another try in a rocky area.

Purchased At:   Won at local bike race

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC

Bike Setup:   Airborne Ti hardtail w/ full XT compo, Mavic CrossLinks, Marzocchi Z2 Bam

Submitted by Juan Garcia a Downhiller from Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2000

Strengths:    Almost none. Maybe price.

Weaknesses:    Tires last less than any other. Ride is similar to any normal tire. They can´t be compare with any good tire.

Bottom Line:
This tires don´t give you a great ride. Don´t last. Other ones like IRC Kujos for DH or Mythos for XC are way much better. Far, far away better.

Favorite Trail:   Any fast-non technical DH

Similar Products Used:   IRC Kujo

Bike Setup:   Freeride almost DH

Submitted by joel the mad man a Racer from netherlands

Date Reviewed: November 8, 1999

Strengths:
the tire is lite for a freeride tire and the grip is just perfect for rocks and sort of .
bud the profile is very soft thats good bud the tire is aerlier at his ends and thats a ptetty because it is very expensive.for trials it is also a very good tire because the volume is big and the weighteness is low enouch for a good bunny hop.
snake bites will bite very easely because the thin walls and thats very bad i think bacause tires have to be immune for smake bites.

Bottom Line:
its good but it isnt my first choise

gardameer (brione)

less than 1 month

Submitted by Chip a Weekend Warrior from Georgetown, Texas

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1999

Strengths:
Sticks to everything

Weaknesses:
Mud Magnet

Bottom Line:
Living in Texas we don't get alot of rain, so the mud thing doesn't bother me too much. These are the tires that came stock on the bike, and I'm glad they did! Last weekend after riding through and collecting enough mud that I couldn't even see the knobs, I decided to run through the river, and wash them off. These things handled great. As I was coming out on flat rock, still in the water, I was unable to get them to slip, and I was trying. They stick to rocks (wet or dry) like velco, and handle just as well on dry land. The only down side is the way they pack in the mud. Although they still handle well in the mud, the weight just kills me. Rated 5 flamin' habeneros -1 for mud packing. Four total.

Russel Park Rock Trail - Georgetown

3 months

Ross Glen Canyon w/Zokes pro shocks

Submitted by Eric Kozar a cross-country rider from Minneapolis, Mn

Date Reviewed: July 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

These skins were standard issue for my AMP Research. I hate them for the mud because they load up so fast and trap the crud that in turn, makes you loose speed! I went with the IRC MITHOS XC SLICK, now that's a tire! I would recommend the Hutchinson tires for hardpack or over the rocks! Very Stable for high speeds!

Submitted by Bill a weekend warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 3, 1997

Bottom Line:

This tyre has quite good grip, but is very heavy (875gm according to a magazine article that I read) and has very high rolling resistence. You can really notice the extra weight and high rolling resistance as the bike feels very sluggish and requires more pedal effort than usual.This would make a good downhill tyre as it has very good grip (especially in sand) and is very easy to control when sideways. The sidewall also seems to be very strong as I have never had a puncture with these tyres.My rating:-
for Downhill: 4 stars
for general riding: 2 stars

Submitted by JF from Gatineau,Quebec,Canada

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1997

Bottom Line:

I hate these tires.They are slack onthe rims and I always get pinch flats.Talking of quality,for 55$,I would've at least expected a year and a half of good grip but noooooooooo,only two monts and I had to change them.Don't buy them unless you like really soft compound tires.

Submitted by Jeff a cross-country rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1997

Bottom Line:

I recently replaced the tires which came on my Diamondback V-Link (Psycho's)with On The Rocks. What a difference! The Psycho's worked OK in the dry loose stuff around Wellington in the summer time, but harder surfaces (especially wet hard surfaces!) were a different story. For my style of riding, the Hutch'y OTRs do a great job with everything (except mud).

Submitted by FOUX a weekend warrior from LYON, FRANCE

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

HEAVY HANDLING WHEN PUT ON THE FRONT
GREAT TRACTION TIRE-MAYBE ONE OF THE BEST EVER CREATED-
TRY TO GET THE 2.1 WIDE ONES!

Submitted by Marty Comber a racer from Essex,Ont,Canada

Date Reviewed: March 20, 1997

Bottom Line:

This tire is light,strong and gets great traction on almost any surface.Best on the rear,and use Cameleon on front.