Geax Warp Older Tires

4.09/5 (34 Reviews)
Weight : 560 grams (folding)

• Front-specific tread with tapered, medium-height blocks laid out in a chevron pattern for stable directional control and excellent braking characteristics.
  • The high strength-to-weight ratio of the knobs yields good handling while providing excellent driving efficiency.
  • Multi condition tire - good for varied terrain.
  • Excellent match for rear-specific Hook.

Folding 26 x 2.15 560g
    Wire 26 x 2.15 610g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Nate from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Strengths:    Very durable.

Weaknesses:    Sketchy handling.

Bottom Line:
    This is the only tire that I removed before it was worn out due to the exceedingly poor tracking. I expermented with air pressure and different terrain with similar disapointing results; handling was always imprecise, especially at higher speeds. No other tire that I have tried has fostered such a complete lack of confidence the way that these tires have. They simply do not hook up, I was constantly missing turns and drifting off line in places that were never a problem before. I now have a fire xc pro up front and it has been solid performer from the very first ride. The warp was not.

Favorite Trail:   So many, so little time

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer, Ritchy, WTB

Bike Setup:   Superlight

Submitted by Chef Paul a Cross Country Rider from Telluride Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Traction
    Rolling resistance
    Traction
    Light weight
    Did I say traction (on hard surfaces)

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
    On the dry hard trails of Colorado this summer this tire has performed flawlessly for me. Mated to a Hook in the rear, this is a set of tires which will climb, ride, and descend all trails.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle

Similar Products Used:   The usual

Bike Setup:   Dakar Pro xtr, manitou, fox

Submitted by Kenton Francis a Cross Country Rider from Northern Utah

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, low rolling resistance, flashy green side walls, fast on the hard stuff

Weaknesses:    occasional pinch flats

Bottom Line:
    I weigh 180 and ride on and off road. On the road I ride 55-60 psi and 40-45 psi off road. I find the tire has worn well in the past year but now it's time to replace them. I won't buy another pair because I havn't been impressed to the point of buying a second pair, plus I enjoy trying different brands. I have been impressed with how well they climb on the hard to semi-loose terrain, the really loose stuff caused then to slip quite a bit. They grip well enough around corners and speed down the descents -- braking and controling were strong. I have also used them when riding on the road to work and towing my boy in the trailer and found them to roll with some, but minimal, resistance. Overall a great all-purpose tire and if you want a nifty green side-wall to accent your bike.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Tioga, Panaracer, Specialized, Continental

Bike Setup:   Ibis Alibi, Mars Super, full XTR, 517 SUP's

Submitted by Bryan a Racer from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Strengths:    Cornering grip and responsiveness!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    The first time I threw the Warp into high-speed corner, expecting the normal HotS float, I about got thrown as the Warp grabbed hold of the loose stuff and and refused to let go! Running in the "Hard" direction, the Warp is almost scary in it's ability to grip in a controlled manner. On the rare occassion when it's pushed too far, the tire is easy to reign back in. The rounded profile seems to lend itself well to rolling front duty, far more so than the Michelin's square-ish mugshot. It's wide enough to roll over most anything, and has survived tallis fields, roots, tombstone rocks, etc. without a hitch. A killer performer for XC riding and racing, and lite-duty free riding.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Michelin Hot S, IRC Mythos

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Ocoee

Submitted by Joe from Wilson, NC

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Strengths:    Not many

Weaknesses:    Poor traction
    Sketchy
    tiny thorns go right through'em

Bottom Line:
    In a word "Poor"

These tires are not very good for riding east coast single track. I didn't realize how bad they were until I replaced them with Velocoraptors. I thought I was just gettn old and couldn't ride anymore!! Once I replaced the Geax I remembered what I'd been missing.

The Geax are completely unpredictable when cornering and have poor traction. I think they are sketrchy in corners because the sidewall is so flimsy. Any way please savbe your money there are many tires out there better than this one.

Similar Products Used:   Marin Factory tires
    Panaracer Smoke / Dart
    Continental Leader Pro
    Numerous others

Bike Setup:   Marin Hard tail with XT components

Submitted by BMW WARD a Weekend Warrior from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Strengths:    Kevlar version is light!

Weaknesses:    Tread wears quickly!

Bottom Line:
    great tire for the money. Purchased at PricePonit for real cheap. The Hook/Warp combo works fine. I run the front in the hard condition and the rear in the soft condition. They are very narrow tires that wear pretty fast.

Favorite Trail:   Bennett Gap!!

Purchased At:   PricePonit

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   Intense tracer...all the goodies!

Submitted by Stu-Mon a Cross Country Rider from NJ aka "NY's Garbage State"

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Strengths:    Less than $20. But is this really a strength?

Weaknesses:    I bought it!

Bottom Line:
    Bought the Hook/Warp combo after reviewing many-o-tires. Decided that this was the combo I should go with. After the 4th ride, my confidence was completely shot, even after trying both directions, various air pressures, on several types of terrain. Cornering was poor, traction was worse, and this was on hard to semi-hard pack. On wet conditions, I experienced the worse performance ever. After being totally frustrated, I decided to replace the new Warp with my older Conti, and the very next ride improved ten fold.

I still have the Hook on the rear and I must say, I am very happy with it. But for the Warp, it now sits in the
    basement along with other items that I will place on Ebay in the very near future. I only hope that someone else
    will have better experience than I with it.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt and singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Conti Vertical Pro, Panaracer, WTB, Specialized, blah, blah, blah.....

Bike Setup:   Reynolds 853. Need I say more?

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Strengths:    Lite 'n cheap (from Price Point or other mail-order outfit). The grrroovy grreen sidewalls match my bike. They grip well on rocks and roots; don't know about hardpack or sandstone...I run them for speed in front and grip in back, as far as tread direction goes.

Weaknesses:    Wear quickly, but since I ride about 6 miles on the road to get to the trails, that's probably the reason...The knobs seem a bit soft (which helps grip) but as I said before, they's not Velociraptors or some other indestructible tire.

Bottom Line:
    I guess by now these are overstock so you can get the Hook and Warp for about $17 apiece...that's for a kevlar bead, and that's not bad...why spend more?

Bike Setup:   Aluminum hardtail.

Submitted by Julian a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
    An update from my earlier post. I switched the direction to Hard and now the tire performs very well... ignore all the advice from other riders telling you your front tire is mounted in the wrong direction. In the Soft direction, the tire washed out really easy. But now it's stable and very confidence inspiring.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown

Submitted by rich a Racer from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Strengths:    See below- this is an update. Excellent cornering traction, predictability, reasonable weight and rolling resistance. Good in wet and loose.

Weaknesses:    The knobs have started to shed on the rear when pushed to the limits in rocky terrain.

Bottom Line:
    I love the way these tires perform but hoped to get longer life from them. I hate it when knobs come off exposing the threads. So I am downgrading them to 3 stars and warning they should not be used as aggressive knobbies on the rear in rocky conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb, Greensfelder, Berryman

Similar Products Used:   many- raptors, mythos, smoke/dart, dusterpros, Zmax, helter/skelter, Bontys

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback RS, mostly LX/XT, Manitou SX-Ti shock.

Submitted by Meeksness a Racer from Clearwater, FL

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Strengths:    it' a gripper
    price
    excellent customer service from Vittoria (parent co.)

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    This is a great fr specific tire.
    You'll want to experiment with its direction though, many reviews cite disappointment one way, then they turn it around and go "wow dude, this tire rocks!"
    Not many fr specific tires can you do that with.

Finally, the company's customer service is TOPS!
    I had a minor issue with one of their tires, e-mailed them...got a response the very next morning! They made sure I was taken care of, promptly.
    Now I'm a happy mt biker.

Uhh, beam me up Scotty, to WARP speed...

Similar Products Used:   too many

Bike Setup:   AL 7005, clydesdale 205lb rider

Submitted by Julian Woon a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2000

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Too skinny for a 2.15 in.
    Wear quickly

Bottom Line:
    After reading all the great reviews below, I decided to order one from Pricepoint (btw, pricepoint sucks because it charges UPS "insurance. I don't know if that's true or if they just do it to make more money. Don't order from them, order from Universal Cycles instead)

Anyway, so when I put the Warp on the rim and pumped it up, it looked really skinny (hmm, maybe that's why they are so light). So I compared them to my OEM Michelin Wildrgrippers 1.95, and the Wildgrippers had a wider casing!! I was pretty disappointed because I wanted a really fat front tire.

I'm not sure if I got a factory defect or something, but another Geax Warp I saw looked pretty skinny.

Similar Products Used:   Michelin, IRC Mythos

Submitted by Ron Baldwin a Weekend Warrior from Anacortes,WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2000

Strengths:    Great in mud.
    Cheap ($20 or less at many shops.

Weaknesses:    Not good on pavement (but so what!)

Bottom Line:
    Really good in mud. The first front tire I have ever tried that provided markedly better trail grip compared to other similar types (if that makes any sense). Good on slippery roots, too. Very nice for a $20 tire!

Favorite Trail:   Anacortes Community Forest Lands Trail Network