Continental Navigator Tire Older Tires

3.56/5 (43 Reviews)
Weight : 620 grams (Kevlar) MSRP : $47.99

This new MTB front tire offers very good steering and handling for all kinds with ideal comfort on hard pack and good puncture resistance. The navigator provides excellent value for the money. Available in wire and Kevlar bead.
  • 26 x 2.00 690 grams (wire) 620 grams (Kevlar)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Giuliano Pochini a Weekend Warrior from La Spezia, Italy

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    Good grip on dry. Cheap compared to most medium-hi-end tyres.

Weaknesses:    Unbalanced, bounces, hard to mount.

Bottom Line:
    It's unbalanced and makes the bike dance a bit at high speed. It's really hard to mount and to remove even using tools.
    With its rounded shape it behaves wonderfully on dry road and good trails, but it bounces a lot on hard terrain. Don't buy it if you like to downhill.

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Other tyres :))

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 '98

Submitted by Jim a Racer from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    Good on packed down/hard packed sufaces.

Weaknesses:    Squirrly on mostly all other condition; doesn't grab or corner well; UNpredictable when going downhill, or making turn. NOT a well-rounded tire!

Bottom Line:
    Honestly, this front tire SUCKS!!!All the people that gave it a 4-5 chili rating don't know how to ride bikes. All they see is "Made in Germany". Not everything in Europe is the best and this tire sucks, period.
    Watch out on the turns because this tire will slip. Cornering on this thing is scary. Very sketchy going downhill. Not a dirt riding tire. I'll probably put it on my commuter bike because it tred pattern is aero and it's probably good for street riding. I give it one chili for good on hard surfaces, and another chili because I too was fool by the "Made in Germany" label.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclists

Similar Products Used:   IRC, Bontrager, Specialized,WTB, etc, etc,

Bike Setup:   Bontrager RL, full XTR

Submitted by John a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    All this is the worst tire I ever used on the front of my bike. Doesn't grip and gives no feedback.

Bottom Line:
    Don't waste your money. I gave mine to the dog to play with.

Similar Products Used:   Jones, michelins, panaracer, other conti's

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2, Pace forks.

Submitted by shay a Cross Country Rider from denver, co, usa

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2000

Strengths:    kevlar lining, longevity

Weaknesses:    pricey, skiddish on turns

Bottom Line:
    What really saved me once was the kevlar lining. Was at Canyonlands NP, UT, for a 5 day trip. Tore off a knob climbing on rocks on first day. Didn't have spare. Rode rest of the 55+ mile trip on damaged tire. Inner kevlar lining prevented tube from blowing out even thru some really rocky stretches and heavy landings. While pricey, these tires are tough as nails!! Other than torn knob and scratched sidewalls, they show surprisingly little wear even for 3 yo tires.

Submitted by Adam W a Cross Country Rider from College Park, MD

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Strengths:    It works. What else can you ask a tire to do?

Weaknesses:    they're a b!t@h to get on the rim... but eh, whateves.

Bottom Line:
    This morning I hit a short track XC race, first time I've ever raced - it rained all day yesterday, and there were mud puddles that swallowed you to your top tube out there this morning. End result: I didn't finish last, I need to do some laundry, and my front tire, a Navigator, is begging for more. It got me wherever I wanted to be; I didn't even have to think about it, I just pointed and it went. Can't argue with that. They're expensive, hardly value, but they get the job done...

Favorite Trail:   The Pits

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos, Conty Goliaths

Bike Setup:   Trek 930 frame, z.3 LT, mostly XT

Submitted by Rico a Weekend Warrior from Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Strengths:
    light, widely spaced treads

Weaknesses:
    Sidewalls look weak; sidewall color (Chocolate or mud)

Bottom Line:
    Best bottom line: I got it for an equivalent of $11.25 each (eat your heart out, boys), and no, it is not a cheap knock-off of a Conti. It's the real thing. I'm using it both in the front and back (following the prescribed tread directions). I find the front kinda skittish on pavement....will be testing it on the rocky logging road this weekend and will update review. In a nutshell....it can be had at alow price, but visit us here in the Philippines.

old logging trail up the Makiling Forest Reserve

less than 1 month

On a Hound Dawg/dirt Dawg combo for 5 Years

Rigid CroMo Bike

Submitted by bryan a Cross-Country Rider from denver

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1999

Strengths:
    great traction
    light

Weaknesses:
    sidewalls split

Bottom Line:
    I love the tread pattern. I've owned 3 and on each one, the sidewall has cracked before the tread is barely worn (within 3 months). I now use Michelins(sp). 4 turds for the tread, -1 for the sidewalls.

its a secret

1 Year

lots

95 cannondale f700

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1999

Strengths:
    decent. in mud

Weaknesses:
    not so hot in everything else. terrible if you ride on pavement.

Bottom Line:
    ok as a last resort, but don't favor it. washout in the front on everything but mud. there are a lot better tires than this one.

trialsin

3 months

Conti baja pro, Irc somethin or other

Brew 200 proof stock trials bike. rigid, full xt, bombproof

Submitted by Charlie a Cross-Country Rider from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: June 6, 1999

Strengths:
    Low Weight
    Low Rolling Resistance

Weaknesses:
    Not as versitile
    Tight tread pattern

Bottom Line:
    I always wanted to try this tire. I've run Conti's Cross Country rear for two season and love it, so I wanted a Conti front to match. My Leader Pro couldn't hang with aggressive cornering in anything but ideal conditions. The Navigator is LIGHT and the rounded profile really lets you carve switchbacks well. Rolls like a dream on hardpack, but will drift in the hard corners. I'd like a grabbier edging tread, but overall it has served me well - it's not like we can stop to change a tire beofre each corner or change in terrain on a two hour ride!

Avalon

more than 3 years

Conti Leader Pro

Hardtail, Judy XC

Submitted by Matt a Cross-Country Rider from Columbus Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1999

Strengths:
    grippy
    fast straighline
    great on mud

Weaknesses:
    tread loads with mud a little
    Not the best for hardpack

Bottom Line:
    Killer tire. I rode through mud, hardpack, sand, creeks, and gravel. It handled well. I'm only using it on the front. Good for quick cuts or carving at higher speeds. It even does well on pavement. The knobs on the side are a little bit too soft for hardpack. It doesn't do as well as on hardpack as my old specialized, but it makes up for it on the other categories.

all of em

less than 1 month

Spec Team Control

Rigid Rockhopper

Submitted by prc a Weekend Warrior from Yonkers,NY

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1999

Strengths:
    Fast,Gripy in most conditions

Weaknesses:
    $$$$, A pain to get on rim,
    packs up mud big time, wear rate

Bottom Line:
    This tire is awesome in all but the muddiest of conditions. I'd give it 5 flaming chili dogs if it weren't for the dam price.

6 months

IRC Mythos, WTB V-raptors, Ritchey Z-max

GT Avalanche , full XT Drivetrain,
    Magura Raceline, Judy SL

Submitted by Trigger a cross-country rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is a fast tire that carves into turns on dirt. On technical trails with lots of roots and rocks, it is too narrow and does not grab well but rather deflects off the objects. The longitudinal 1/2 inch knobs bite well into corners but does not provide lateral stability as well as some other tires I've used (i.e. IRC Mythos XC). Durability is also an issue. After 300 miles of XC riding--I go fast but do not do super-technical terrain and rough terrain--the outside knobs began to shear off from the base. I got rid of them, and the IRC Mythos is a much more durable tire. I found also that the Conti's sidewalls were less durable for me as well. Mine were easily ripped by rocks resulting in the bulging of rubber through the sidewall. I tried to get the tires warrantied because I thought that it might have been a manufacturing defect, but my LBS was lame in following up in calling Conti. I didn't want to wait, so I bought myself some new tires. Durability should match the price. These tires are expensive.

Submitted by Lancer a weekend warrior from Northride, CA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

The Navigator is a great front tire. These tires replaced Ritcheys, handling improved. I would rate this as one of the best front tires used, better than Specialized Team Edition (which are very noisy) or IRC Mythos. My riding is cross-country, I am not up to my armpits in mud, tire meets my needs 100%. A very fast tire.

Submitted by Patrice denis a cross-country rider from Longueuil , Quebec

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

Another fast tire from continental. A great all aroud tire but don't ride it on gravel, it simply don't grip.In mud, it's easy to pack up but if it clean the navigator grip well on wet roots and rocks.On hardpack the soft knobs roll over and give it a bad feel.However, not a bad tire but the leader pro fell better.

Submitted by David Houghton a cross-country rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Navigator? Aggrivator is more like it. Most of the trails I ride are off-camber hard pack and this tire cannot hold onto it in the least. It feels squirrely in turns and never seems to grip, just glide, often with disastrous results. I couldn't wait to get this tire off and get my Panaracer back on. A hype tire; a total waste of money.