Continental Goliath Older Tires

4.25/5 (28 Reviews)

Continental Goliath

Submitted by zabi a Cross Country Rider from poland

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2008

Strengths:    3 years on this tires!!! great ! i recommend for all people which they drive on asphalt and low terrain!

Bottom Line:
:p

Submitted by Gazzr a Weekend Warrior from Bathurst, NSW, AUS

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent rolling ability.
The tires are very skinny at 1.6 and are brilliant on the road.

Seem long wearing.
I've used these for commuting mostly but have also taken them on the local track and it hasn't worn at all. It takes the ruff rocky hard stuff well.

Grip well.
It slides on the slick area but once it hits the knobs if leaning the tire pulls up well. I've only used the tire on the rear.

Weaknesses:    The tire slides a lot on up-hill dirt stretches.

Bottom Line:
Brilliant, if you need quick rolling tires that can handle lite dirt. Great for communting and a good way to save your knobly from being unecessarily eaten up by the bitumen.

Purchased At:   Winning Edge Cycles

Bike Setup:   2001 Avanti Barracuda Comp. Out of the box.

Submitted by bruce a Racer from halifax

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    very sturdy
thick tread
cornering nobs are excellent

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses for what the tires meant for

Bottom Line:
these are great tires for comuting or trainning on a mountainbike. i've put about 700 kms on them and they look brand new. They don't have the greatest stopping ability, but what can you expect from a slick. i also road these in a cyclocross where there was an of camber turn and a roots section, but was able to handle that.

Favorite Trail:   the crazytrain

Purchased At:   mec

Similar Products Used:   this is my first fully slick tire. have used many semis off road, but this is the first for road use

Bike Setup:   i use this tire on my xc race hartail for training when the trails are too wet and snowy in the winter and spring.

Submitted by Keith from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2002

Strengths:    Very good construction. Excellent quality.

Weaknesses:    This tire performs horribly on wet surfaces. I had my front tire sliding out on almost every corner when the streets are wet. REALLY REALLY NEEDS IMPROVEMENT FOR WET SURFACE RIDING.

Bottom Line:
Good for dry surfaces. Good construction. Don't EVEN think about this tire if you're on the slightest of wet pavements. YOU WILL BE LET DOWN.

Similar Products Used:   Trek Invert 2.. used for 10+ years for commuting. Excellent wet/dry road & packed trail riding. (I dumped the Goliaths and went back to these)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale M700 - retired as a commuter bike, tho I'm sure I can kick some ass with it again up in Humboldt, like in the old days.

Submitted by james a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    Fast, light, longwearing. I got these on my bike in 1993, that's right, eight years ago, and they're still going strong. They look a bit worn, but don't flat out and still easily provide all my commuting needs.

Weaknesses:    The side knobs aren't really up to much. If you're relying on them to save you on a corner, you're probably too far gone.

Bottom Line:
These tires aren't off road tires, obviously, but as commuter tires for a mountain biker, they're perfect. They are indestructible!

Favorite Trail:   Amethyst Brook, Amherst, MA

Similar Products Used:   Never needed to try anything else. These just keep on going.

Bike Setup:   GT Panterra, XT, also eight years old.

Submitted by Ray Rodriguez from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Strengths:    Price, Roll and Durability.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for 7 years now and have been using it for longish (40 miles+) weekend rides and to commute to work on occasion. In the last couple of years I've increased my commute average to about 80-90% of the time and found that the knobs were eating up all of the energy I put into the crank. I looked at the reviews, talked to the guys at BikeWorld and determined that the Conti Golaiths were the way to go. It took some getting used to because they were skinny and weak looking compared to the knobs but I was completely sold after the first full ride to work. Prior to my purchase I was looking at buying a road bike to deal with the commute and my lack of dirt time. With these tires I don't need the road bike and I can still hang on to old faithful. In a nutshell, these tires rock! I've bought three additional pairs to give as gifts to dad, my father in law and an old bud. If mine ever wear out (they have approx. 4,000 miles on them) I'll definitely buy again.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the Hill Country

Purchased At:   BikeWorld

Bike Setup:   '95 Cannondale M600, STX Serfas saddle and dual panniers...In the process of gearing down closer to a road bike (happy medium)

Submitted by Gordon Farkas a Racer from Melbourne VIC Australia

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2001

Strengths:    fast at max pressure
loooooooooooong wearing
dark sidewall stays looking good when exposed to grease and liquid debris
good straight line grip

Weaknesses:    crap cornering - transition from slik to knobs is way too sudden/unpredictable
could be lighter

Bottom Line:
tough tyre, durable, fairly fast - BIG lack of confidence in cornering

Favorite Trail:   any peak hour multi lane blacktop

Purchased At:   Cicil Walker

Similar Products Used:   IRC metro
conti MTB GP

Bike Setup:   Fisher Supercaliber, full XTR, big gears, lots of light stuff - no expense spared

Submitted by Chad Therrien a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    Awesome on dry roads.
Adequate on medium and hard pack.
Long wearing.

Weaknesses:    Sketchy in the wet.
Sinks in the soft stuff.
Susceptible to road hazards.

Bottom Line:
I got these tires in the heat of the summer and at that time I was able to ride to work and around Davis very effectively. These tires allowed me to take corners at speed and in a full-lean, with some very predictable sliding action.

I was even quite confident tearing across some maintained dirt roads around campus. Only when the dreaded 'punture vines' became productive did I run into a problem. This tire is made to be fairly light and run at high-pressure.

The punture vines gave me flats daily until I was introduced to Green Slime. Without this material, I would not have been able to ride these tires through the fall in the places I go.

I do take some off-road excursions and the road hazards there can include broken glass and 1" puncture vine spikes. But once I had slimed up my tubes, all I needed to do was pluck out the offending spike and continue riding. The Slime would seal the tire as I rode.

I've also taken this tire up a very long and winding canyon. It is a paved road that is often single-lane. It climbs 2300' during a 5 mile ride. On the return trip down, I kept the bike in the big ring and pumped until I was at top speed. These tires instilled great confidence at speed and allowed me to lay the bike right down for cornering.

I was very impressed with the consistency of the grip through a turn. In the rain however, this can leave one scrambling for control. I took a flat 90º turn in the wet that normally wouldn't have been too hairy, but there was an invisible metal panel on the road and for 3', the front and rear slid like on ice. Once back on the pavement all was well, but for a moment it reminded me of ice-riding back in the Canadian winters.

I would say the 'aggressive' part of the tire: the knobs on the sidewall, are too far up to provide any increased traction in the soft, except in extreme situations. I rode my bike over a ledge, rolling pretty fast, but missing the path. As I turned sharply back up the incline to maintain my course, I was glad for the sidewall knobs. But other than that one instance, they are largely untouched.

This causes them to sink up to the sidewalls on any soft material. I often cut through a redwood grove with very soft underbrush. While I am there, control is minimal and climbing is impossible.

Favorite Trail:   Mix / Gates Canyon

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   '00 Fisher Mamba stock, excluding these tires.

Submitted by Andrew Wright a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA, US

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Strengths:    Much faster than my knobbies, on and off road

Weaknesses:    Slide out on loose stuff off road
Can't grip adequately going sideways to slopes off road
Sketchy cornering at speed (round 25 mph) on road

Bottom Line:
I bought semislicks instead of full slicks because I was a little nervous to go to a full slick, having never ridden one before, but I wasn't getting in any offroading and wanted the lower rolling resistance. I had some free time at school one day so I ditched my bags, let a lot of air of the tires (I was riding them at 75 psi for streets) and did some fire roads, and they performed pretty well. I later tried running a Goliath on my rear and a knobby on the front and doing some more difficult singletrack and my rear wheel didn't stay under me very well. I'm selling them to my housemate later today because I just bought a set of 1" slicks, but they're a really excellent tire. He wants them so he can do his commute (same as mine) and some light off-roading without changing tires the way I do. If you want them for commuting and off-roading both, they're an excellent tire unless you want to do some singletrack or sand or mud, but those want a real knobby anyway.

Excellent tire. Very fast rolling and versatile. Of course it's a compromise, but that's what semi-slick means, right?

Favorite Trail:   Star Wars

Purchased At:   Spokesman Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   IRC Mythos XC

Bike Setup:   '99 Schwinn Mesa GSX with Time ATAC Alium pedals, one or two Jandd large mountain paniers full of textbooks when commuting

Submitted by Tom M. from Goleta, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Strengths:    Smooth, silent, comfortable road riding; good construction.

Weaknesses:    Probably not what you want for serious riding in the rough. But hey, it's a semislick so it does what it's supposed to.

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased sets of Specialized Topo
Semislicks and Continental Goliaths; this is both a
general review my experience with the Goliaths as well
as a direct comparison between the two.

Most of my riding is commuting on roads and developed
bike paths, with some recreational trail riding on the
hard packed and/or sandy paths on the bluffs between my
house and the beach. I was interested in replacing my
knobbies with semi-slicks to improve my commuting
performance without giving up traction on my short,
enjoyable trail rides.

Initially I tried the Topo Semislicks for a couple of
weeks. They were not bad, but their large side knobs
did not inspire confidence when cornering on pavement;
I found the transition between the slick area and the
knobs to be abrupt and disconcerting. In the dirt they
were great. Overall, I found these to be good tires,
but not quite what I was looking form.

I then switched to the Goliaths. Much better!
Smoother ride on the asphalt, perhaps not as great a
grip in the dirt as the Topos, but overall much better
for my purposes. They are an absolute pleasure to ride
on the road, and provide plenty of control for my dirt
usage. Keep them inflated to 60 Lbs. for the
smoothest, most silent of rides.

As far as I am concerned, the Goliaths are the answer.
I will buy them again if these ever wear out, which
looks to be a long time from now based on their
construction. No flats so far either. This is the
best $55 enhancement I've made to my bike.

Favorite Trail:   Blufs between my house and beach

Similar Products Used:   Performance Topo Semislick

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper, mostly stock

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    looks good
tough (171 threads per inch)
genuine rubber compound

Weaknesses:    weight
side knobbies could be a little bigger (might help with the off-road traction)

Bottom Line:
I've had these tires for about 2 years now and they still look brand new. THESE TIRES ARE TOUGH. I've ridden thru glass and lots of other road-crap and there isn't even a mark on these tires. The thread count makes 'em tough, but it also makes 'em heavy ... Oh well ... If I'm biking to work or if I'm out in the bush, then I'd rather have a tire that's reliable than one that's light. And yah, they are damn scary on wet grass, but a knobby is damn scary on wet pavement, and grass is softer than pavement. If anybody buys these thinking that they'll have good off-road grip, then they need to give their head a shake. Can we say "SEMI-SLICK" boys and girls? Because of the amount of rubber contacting the road, the grip is fantastic and the braking power is incredible (when it's dry) Grip/braking when wet is not too bad.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Similar Products Used:   cheap Kenda Krap

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon, Marzocchi Z4 fork, Shimano XT hubs & 8-speed cassette, Mavic X-221 rims, DT-db spokes, Avid Arch-rival 50 brakes, other goodies!!!

Submitted by Kyle a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
Low rolling resistance on pavement

Weaknesses:
NO traction on off road climbs

Bottom Line:
These tires are great for commuting or road riding, which is why I bought them. Off road they are ok, until you need to climb or brake.
The only problem I have with them is that I seem to get more flats than I should.
I give them a good rating. They do what they are designed to do and seem to last.

1 Year

Diamond Back Mean Streak (Yes it is an old tank, but still works)

Submitted by Mike Poplawski a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: November 24, 1999

Weaknesses:
You pay for reliability and durability with weight.

Bottom Line:
These tires were exactly what I needed at the time-a solid foundation for commuting. I rarely flatted or skidded in the wet. If you are limited to a mountain bike for commuting, consider these tires--your ride will be smooth and comfortable, and you will still have enough grip for dry trails.

more than 3 years

Submitted by Julien Malschaert a Weekend Warrior from Asheville Nc

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I own a cannondale sv500; i've been using it on the road as my main transport vehicle, and i wanted more traction than the miethos were giving me , so i went to the bike store and explained my delema. The salesman recommended me the conti goliath, well the next day i bought them .... wooohoooo this is the nicest tire if you're gonna ride on the road with a mtb . i wouldn't recommend them for trail but for road use, definatly.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Kinny a Cross-Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1999

Strengths:
Very low rolling resistance
Whisper quiet
Fair traction off-road

Weaknesses:
Stiff side-walls - need low pressures off road
Low grip on road - rear end breaks too easy on lock-up - caused a major crash!

Bottom Line:
The Goliath is way more value-for-money than the Speedmax I used before - though it is less capable off-road. However it is better on-road - until you reach the limit of adhesion - or when you lock a wheel & the rear end breaks far too quickly - which was what caused my huge crash!
There is also less grip off-road, traction is a problem with any mud - but still surprisingly good considering it's basically a slick.
I think I'd buy it again for it's excellent on-road ability - that it is whisper quiet!
It also looks like being very long-lasting, after 1500km my Speedmax was destroyed but the Goliath looks like it can go 3000km without any problems.

Lane Cove Valley