Continental Comp Pro Tire Older Tires

4.54/5 (46 Reviews)

Comp Pro 1

Submitted by Groundoggy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, grip, loose rock performance, wet/rooty traction, mud shedding ability.

Weaknesses:    High rolling resistance and weight. Not a race tire but it has hella traction.

Bottom Line:
Bought a NOS pair of the Competition 1's with the wire bead and amber wall just because they were a decent value.Hadn't tried them before but have always liked the Conti's I've ran before. Really wasn't expecting that much - seemed kind of simple to me with the big chevronish tread block in the middle. Two rows of side blocks help complete a scoop pattern and add grip on the edge.

After riding them for a year I am impressed. I have the tread pattern reversed on the front and this set up yields excellent climbing ability and traction in the rear and an aggressive, grippy front tire that doesn't wash out in mud or loose rock turns.

Obviously they haven't made these in years but if you come a cross a set they are definitely worth a try.

Favorite Trail:   American River trail network

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Tioga Psycho, Panaracer Smoke/Dart, Conti XC Pro/Leader Pro

Bike Setup:   '97 Zaskar frosted red ano, XT kit, red Cane Creek 110, White Bros XC-4 fork, Nuke Proof Ti hubs or red Ringle Super Bubba hubs (gotta switch it up a bit!), red Ringle Moby Duece seatpost, red Kore Elite stem and Kore skewers (red or silver depending on wheelset), red Odyssey Shark Bite pedals, Jagwire, Ergon GR-1 grips, Selle Italia Ti Flite seat.

Submitted by digitalkreation a Weekend Warrior from London, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2009

Strengths:    The Continental Competition Pro 1 & 2 tires are by far the best tires I've ridden. They excel in the mud and sand, but are also just as good on singletrack, rocks, roots, etc.

Weaknesses:    They are a bit on the heavy side, but if you want something that works on the East-Coast terrain, and doesn't fail, there is always a small price to pay.

Bottom Line:
Unfortunately, these aren't manufactured anymore, but you can still find some every now and then. Amazing value for the money, and you can't purchase better tires in my opinion. Just look at the ratings below! Overwhelmingly positive!

Favorite Trail:   Gibbons Singletrack

Purchased At:   Racer Sportif

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Dart & Smoke.

Bike Setup:   All Pro Gear..

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Pa

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2006

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    not made any more

Bottom Line:
This tire has way more traction than any tire i ever tried.

Purchased At:   weaver's

Similar Products Used:   none this good

Bike Setup:   haro v3, kenda klaw in front, continental comp pro 1 in back

Submitted by Glenn Vernes a Cross Country Rider from Middletown, CT

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Strengths:    Great traction, rolls pretty smooth, lasts a long long time.

Weaknesses:    Can you still get them?

Bottom Line:
The best rear tire I've ever used. I used it in combination with a Conti Leader Pro on the front (my favorite front tire of all time). Better than the Explorer Pros I'm using now. They really have no weaknesses; a combination of traction, fairly low rolling resistance, durability and reasonable weight I haven't found in any other tire. The knobs will round off after a few hundred miles but that barely affects the traction. It's an all purpose tire that will handle anything a racer or XC rider would throw at it. Only problem is they're hard to find these days. I hope Conti didn't discontinue them, that would be a mistake. If you can find one, buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Cockaponsett, Chester CT

Purchased At:   Pedal Power, Middletown CT

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer Dart, Conti Explorer Pro, Michelin I forget the model, Ritchey WCS

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-22

Submitted by john kowalczyk a Weekend Warrior from lionville pa

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Strengths:    Climbing

Weaknesses:    Can not buy them anywhere, had to buy a Michelen

Bottom Line:
These were the best rear tires I ever rode on. The paddle design porvided an incredible amount of climbing traction. This surpassed anything from Tioga, Panaracer, IRC that I ever rode. The tread wear was reasonable and I had what I would consider to be a normal amount of flats.

Favorite Trail:   mud pond - Lackawanna County

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   IRC, Tioga, Panaracer

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Killer V-900 with Judy fork,

Submitted by Jim Roselle a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix Arizona

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2001

Strengths:    icreadible climbing/cornering traction, wear like iron.

Weaknesses:    steel beads tough to mount although kevlar is no problen, very hard to find.

Bottom Line:
If you ride in loose, rocky conditions buy these tires! Climbing and cornering traction are unparalelled. The fact that wears half as long is a great bonus. I can tear knobs off Ritchey or Specialized in less than 100 miles, I've ridden Conti's over 700 miles with no torn knobs and no cords showing through.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Specialized, Tioga, WTB.

Bike Setup:   93 Bridgestone MB-4, RockShox Indy xc W/Englund Air, Sun/Ringle RPM wheelset.

Submitted by spectre a Weekend Warrior from mi

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2000

Strengths:    Large volume, supple casing, durability

Weaknesses:    can be hard to mount/remove from some rims
very difficult to find (OOP)

Bottom Line:
i can take or leave the comp 1; it is a very good traction tire. the comp2 is an awesome tire, especially where there is a lot of sand. these tires look pretty weak in the knob department, but off great grip. i would not call them a great cornering tire, but what lightly knobbed tire is? these tires roll well, handle slippery rocks and roots very well due to the natural rubber, are great mud shedders and can be run at low pressures due to the great casing and strength.

Favorite Trail:   fort custer

Similar Products Used:   many brands

Bike Setup:   hard tail

Submitted by Scotty a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2000

Strengths:    amazing traction, predictable handling, rolls better than what I was used to before

Weaknesses:    Had to spend another $35 to get a new front tire that would hold as well as the rear.

Bottom Line:
I was a little intimidated by the tread pattern at first but after my first ride i was so impressed with this tire. I ride everything on my way to work (hard/soft pack, technical climbs & descents, stairs, rocks,logs, and on..) and this tire just rocks. So for no more pinch flats. Holds its own on the technical 'Shore trails too. Made me realize just how lousy my previous tire (gravy) was. Replaced Lumpy with a tioga factory DH to get the full holding potential for front & rear. GREAT COMBO!! Get one if you can

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Seymour

Similar Products Used:   Kona house brand garbage(break/enter, lumpy/gravy)

Bike Setup:   '99 Lava Dome parted up for agressive xc

Submitted by pooter a Weekend Warrior from san antonio, tx

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Strengths:    grabs everything

Weaknesses:    as with all conti tires, a pain to remove from the rim

Bottom Line:
the BEST rear tire i have used.
you can clear most any obstacle in most any condition with a comp pro as your rear tire. won't wash on fast, leaned-into turns either. wet, dry, soft, hard-pack, you name it, this tire will not let you down. DO NOT WASTE THEM ON PAVEMENT!
if you can find these, buy what you can and hoard them!

Similar Products Used:   mythos xc, velociraptor, enduroraptor, z-max, cross-country, pirahna pro, honch, smoke

Submitted by jimmy a Weekend Warrior from pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1999

Strengths:
very good ups...rumbles nice on the pavement

Weaknesses:
none yet

Bottom Line:
i've only ridden this set-up a few times but i highly recomend this tire, actually got out of the saddle on a step hardpack section and it was as sure and grippy as riding on hot tar on a sunny day...i understand conti is discontinuing these tires so i would get 'em while they're still out there...picked up a specialized front tire for $9.95 to go with the conti for $19.95 and i couldnt be happier......actually used this properly as i searched for recomended tires by you reviewers out there and this one popped up... what a clever crowd we are

south park

less than 1 month

lots

unsuspended, diamondback ascent ex, built from old and new spare parts

Submitted by Peter a Cross-Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 19, 1999

Strengths:
For the type of riding in southern AZ, there really is no better rear tire. The tread design hooks up all the time and allows you to climb stuff that the fools riding those other tires simply can't. One major strength with all conti tires is the natural rubber compound that they use. My conti tires last almost twice as long as other brands and that is why I continue to purchase them time and time again.

Weaknesses:
The damn company is no longer making the pro comp!!! The good news is that Trailhead Sports in Scottsdale bought all the Pro Comps that they could so run over a buy one NOW!!!!

Bottom Line:
WHY DID THEY HAVE TO STOP MAKING THIS TIRE??????

Other conti rear tires (Traction Pro & Cross Country) as well as IRC

Kona Kula

Submitted by PRC a Cross-Country Rider from Lisbon Portugal

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
Overall grip especially in sand

Weaknesses:
Conti doesn't make'm any more,
a pain to get off

Bottom Line:
These are by far the best rear tire I've had. It pretty much sticks to everything.

Velociraptors,Z-maxSC

Y-33,Judy SL, Crosslink

Submitted by riley a Cross-Country Rider from michigan

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1999

Strengths:
actually the comp 1's
large volume
tough

Weaknesses:
no longer made

Bottom Line:
conti was much maligned for these tires since they brought them out. the 2 is an excellent rear tire. the 1 is the origianl semi slick! large in volume, relatively low rolling resistance, they work great in sand. don't expect awesome grip in leans, but they hold their own. i'm over 200 lbs, and the average semi-slick is too small for my large ass, but these give me a fast roller that won't knife in deep sand. maybe these weren't meant to be what i've called them, but they are fantastic.

more than 3 years

any tire you can imagine

Submitted by Dave Masino a Cross-Country Rider from Kirkland, WA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Sheds mud great
Works well in all conditions I've ridden, especially wet
Great for climbing and cornering
Braking is great

Weaknesses:
Kevlar version is tough to get on the rim
NO LONGER MANUFACTURED BY CONTI!!!

Bottom Line:
This is by far my favorite rear tire. It's hard to get on the rim, but I don't really mind. I spend more time riding than putting tires on the rim. If you race (I do occasionally) then that's another story. I'd hate to change a flat with this tire in the middle of a race. What I'm bummed about is that Continental no longer manufactures the Pro 1. I called them to say BAD IDEA. Agree with me? Let them know...1-800-223-3207(Conti customer service).

open to bikes

2 Years

Panaracer Smoke

Fat Chance Yo Eddy, Manitou 5 fork, Mavic 517 rims

Submitted by Ed a Cross-Country Rider from Apex, NC

Date Reviewed: March 29, 1999

Strengths:
Grips mud like a bulldozer tread
Fantastic climbing capability
Sheds mud in a hurry
Price (on sale - $20.00!!)

Weaknesses:
Tighest bead I have EVER seen
D@mn near impossible to change a tube on the trail.
Price (not on sale)

Bottom Line:
If you can't get up that nasty climb on your favorite trail (regardless of weather conditions) with these tires, either something is VERY wrong with your technique or you're trying to climb a 89 degree hill. Simply amazing climbing ability. The first time I tried these things out, I rode two techincal trails that were wet and nasty from 2 previous days of rain. Normally I do not ride in wet conditions so that the trail is not further damaged and I don't like cleaning up my bike after a slop fest. But it was so nice that day, I couldn't resist. I was not disappointed with the performance of these tires. I have them on front and back and since I don't give a sh!t about rolling resistance, I am happy with this set up. These tires make you feel like you are on an escalator when you go up hills and I was amazed at how little mud caked up in the knobs - in fact almost none (and this is red, sticky clay). Maybe I am so enamored with them b/c my stock Panaracer Duster tires sucked (actually I even liked them until I tried the Conti's), but only time will tell if I remain happy with these after I really get some miles on them (seems some have experienced endurance problems). My only real b!tch so far is the time (and vast array of tools) it takes to put these suckers on. I am glad I am not the only one who struggled mightily getting them on (45 minutes for two tires!!!). And god help anyone who goes flat deep into the ride. So far, couldn't be happier (i.e. no flats yet).

Rocky Road