Avocet Cross K 26 Older Tires

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Inverted tread and smooth sides give low rolling resistance on pavement. Smooth side tread maximizes the amount of rubber on the road, increasing its grip on dry or wet pavement. On dirt, inverted tread grips tenaciously. Kevlar composite shield for increased durability.

Submitted by Rob

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2014

Strengths:    Low rolling resistance. Puncture resistance

Weaknesses:    None --

Bottom Line:
I used these for about 10 years on my commute bike. Commute was up to about 30 Km each way. Over that time I only ever got caught on the road with a puncture twice. I did get a few more slow leak punctures though, but they where fixable once I got to my destination. The tyre was brilliant on road, bike path and hardpack dirt. It would only get a little loose on loose gravel tracks, which is to be expected. Overall a brilliant all-round tyre and I have seen nothing in modern tyres that come close to replacing it, especially the brilliant inverted tread design.

Submitted by Alex Tourangeau a Cross Country Rider from Gatineau

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent road traction (not for off-road), reduced rolling resistance, high pressure capabilities, high lean angle, wears slowly.

Weaknesses:    Not for off-road use, hard to find, no Kevar bead models.

Bottom Line:
I used to run these on my Rocky Mountain Avalanche, especially to ride in town and cycle paths. I have to say that these tires are absolutely great for this type of riding. The ability to take 95 PSI makes a huge difference in rolling resistance, and most riders can increase their average speed by at least 5km/h. I ran a 1.25" up front and a 1.5" in the rear of this tire, and I convinced quite a few of my riding friends to try them out in town.

If you find yourself switching tires because you switch riding types, just get yourself a second set of wheels, which is a great investment, and saves a lot of trouble. I'm running a new bike now, and will most certainly get another set of wheels. If I can find these tires again, you can be certain that I will get a new pair.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Cycles Bertrand

Similar Products Used:   Tioga City Slicker, Specialized Nimbus.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Avalanche, Bontrager rims, full XT

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
A great all-round tire. I've used this tire (1.9", 1.5", 1.25") for more than 10 years for everything from day to day urban commuting to extensive logging road travel with big loads. Superb rubber thickness, low rolling resistance, excellent volume height (useful for buffering the rough when carrying big loads). Generally grippy in wet but not slick conditions (mud, snow, ice).

Submitted by Dan Kona Unit a Racer from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    Price, quality construction, kevlar belt

Weaknesses:    Spray from wet roads, cornering on pavement, kevlar belt

Bottom Line:
K II model: For the urban pavement riding I do, I can't recommend this tire. Kevlar belted tires (like this and in general) are bouncy. Yes these are well made tires that ride fast but the ride lacks nuance that a Michelin or Continental provides . About 30 or so miles are necessary to wear-off the surface tread to achieve a good grip, yet the front tire still squeaks when cornering. Between the compound and the kevlar, cornering on these tires is unpredictable and timid.

The tread design is novel and works fine in all weather. That said, it sprays unusual amounts of water on wet roads. This is probably because the treads are nearly perpendicular to the rotation of the tire. Also, when I corner I am riding on the channel of the tire design instead of the solid tread like Avocet advertising illustrates.

Previously I was riding Continental Top Touring 2000 tires which have no kevlar (yet I had only two flats in 2 years), and are made of rubber and have an excellent tread design that is engineered superbly. (I got these from Sellwood Cycle too.)

This tire is probably good for touring and/or riding that involves more dirt trails or less demanding riders who don't need to corner above 12mph on the street.

Purchased At:   Sellwood Cycle Repair, Portland

Similar Products Used:   Continental Top Touring 2000 (26 x 2.125)

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit frame 2002 (39/18 single gear), FSA Newtron 180mm cranks, Redline Forklifter bar and stem, Shimano brakes, fenders (!)

Submitted by Deano a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    I had these babies on my old stumpjumper sport (circa 1986) for about 6 years and they made that bike FLY! Of course, they are for pavement use only. I just transferred them to my new KONA STINKY for the bike trail, and they seem to be holding up ok. You can pump them up to a rock-hard 95 lbs. No rolling resistance whatsoever.

Weaknesses:    None noticed yet.

Bottom Line:
Seem like great road tires for training and bikepath work.