Shockworks AC-9 Older Rear Shocks

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Shockworks AC-9

Submitted by Keran a Downhiller from regensburg - germany

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2002

Strengths:    Great performance. Easy change of compression/rebound without stopping. Quite cheap.

Weaknesses:    Did not last more than 8 monthes. Broken in two parts after a five steps drop.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy! at least not the one from the NB series!

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox coupe deluxe

Bike Setup:   steppenwolf with z1 fr.

Submitted by Mark a Downhiller from Les Arcs, France

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Strengths:    Very good damping and control through the range of travel. Consistent performance even when hot.

Weaknesses:    Blew up after only 3 days.
All of the rebound control is at the end of the rebound knob's range.

Bottom Line:
Worked well but blew all its oil out on the third day that I used it. Marin UK were unhelpful about a replacement as I had bought the bike in the UK and they refused to send any replacement to France where I live. I am not going to drive 1500 miles just to get a shock replaced.

I'm now looking at a replacement bill of lots of money for a damping unit that I have only had about 5 hours use out of. The only way to get a rebuild is to send the unit to the UK where they have a jig to re-pressurise it and lose out on the lift ticket that I had just purchased for the next 15 days. I only hope I can source another shock that fits out here in France.

Crap.

Favorite Trail:   singletrack/downhill

Bike Setup:   1999 B-17 Marin bought in a sale.

Submitted by MIKE SEYMOUR a Downhiller from KNOXVILLE , TN

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2000

Strengths:    I LIKE this shock- IT gets the job done.MINE has rebound, and preload using the spring..Came stock on 1999 B-17.

Weaknesses:    NONE yet

Bottom Line:
I hope it doesn't ever fail on me especially at a race.I might get a spare just in case-I'm confident It won't give me any problems..I ride pretty dam hard- no huge dropoffs though,so ya never know how much it can take...

Favorite Trail:   NARLEY ones

Similar Products Used:   TRIED my friends FOX with comp/reb adjustments red spring--I LIKED my shockworks better..

Bike Setup:   B-17 MONSTER-T HOPE 04 MAVIC 321's

Submitted by Dingo a Downhiller from Canberra

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1999

Strengths:
This is for Shockworks NB coil over rear shock. Reasonable price. Awesome performance.Very adjustable with compression and rebound damping. seems durable

Weaknesses:
none yet!

Bottom Line:
These shocks rule! I've seen some not so happy reviews about the lower spec Shock Works rear shocks (in the forks section!) But these higher end models are excellent!

all!