RockShox Shox 2000 SID Non Adjust Older Rear Shocks

3.43/5 (14 Reviews)

Rock Shox 2000 SID Non Adjust

Submitted by Jono a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2003

Strengths:    Doesn't sag when climbing. Light.

Weaknesses:    Started leaking air from positive to negative chamber. Takes a long time to find a nice balance of air between neg and positive chamber (i've had it for 3 years and still tweaking).

Bottom Line:
I have ridden with this shock for 3 years, on two frames (first giant frame snapped in 2 places, replaced on warranty thankfully) and up until now have been fairly happy with it.

However, it has started leaking internally from the positive to negative air chamber. This is extremely frustrating as you lose your firmness in the shock and it eventually starts bottoming out and if not pumped back up it will be unridable. It is the seals failing that casues this.

So I have sent it in for a service (costing min. $80 US) to have seals replaced which is supposed to be done every year. I wouldnt have bought the bike if i knew the rear shock would need replacement seals anuually.

On the rock shox frequently asked questions page on their website it has the following FAQ:

"When I inflate my SID shock, the air pressure decreases quickly, and increases in the negative chamber. What's the deal?
The most likely cause of this problem is air bypass due to worn seals (O-rings) in your main air chamber. You will need to replace and lubricate the main piston seals with a SID O-ring Service Kit from your local dealer. This is a regular maintenance that your DUAL AIR fork and rear shock requires.
See the 2002 Spare Parts Catalogs and 2002 Dual Air Service Guide for part numbers and instructions."

A BAD SIGN if you ask me :(

Bike Setup:   Giant xtc 2000

Submitted by Jarred a Weekend Warrior from Orangeville, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Strengths:    Kicks a**

Weaknesses:    Nobody likes it

Bottom Line:
This shock has been under so much screwtany lately. I have used this shox on my bike for over 2 years now, and have never had a problem. If you people don't like Rock Shox, don't use there products. Writing false bad reviews sucks a**. To many people claim to be loyal to certain products, and would tell anyone not to use certain products because they don't like them. It's like me telling you that Rock Shox Dukes suck ass, and are peices of sh*t. I have never used them. I bet you half of these reviews for all the SIDS are false. Idiots who have enough time to review components they have never used, should blow the dust of whatever bike they own, and spend enough time with a product they do own, so they can finally post a true review. If we get to many retards doing this, there won't be much sense checking a review before a purchase, now will there. Think about it!! PEACE

Similar Products Used:   Fox

Bike Setup:   2000, XCR 3000 various componets

Submitted by Crazy Mike a Cross Country Rider from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Damping is exactly right for my bike so no need to adjust that, which isn't possible anyway, works when not seized up, most people think it's cool because it has a SID sticker on it. Whatever.

Weaknesses:    Reliability is questionable, it's a Rock-Shox SID. Non-adjustable, but then again, if it doesn't have to be adjusted, that's no big miss. Too expensive for what you get.

Bottom Line:
This is a decent shock for beating around the bush but shouldn't be taken too seriously. The first one I had seized up on me after 1 month of use. Somehow the rebound damping seemed to be all screwed up, almost as if something was plugging the internals (damping was increased to the max). When compressed, it was possible to get off the bike and watch it slowly right itself. A funny sight, but a bad omen. Anyway, the warranty replacement shock that I got after that held up a lot better and is still in good use. The performance is okay, and I'm generally happy with the performance, but I'll definitely get something else WHEN (not if) this one fails.

Similar Products Used:   A heavily modified AMP B3 shock on my Litespeed Obed FS, looking to replace that with a Risse. The SID will most likely give way to an X-fusion (www.x-fusion-shox.com).

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant XTC. Forget the Giant NRS idea. I prefer a rear suspension that works: 200 psi pos, 100 neg. Not 50 psi neg. If I want to ride a softtail, I'll use my Litespeed.

Submitted by Randy Lieberg a Weekend Warrior from Grand Forks, ND USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    REVIEW UPDATE
I have ridden this shock for about a year now. It has held up fairly well, with a winter of subzero weather and a summer of learning to do drops. I weigh 190+ and ride hard, and the seals seem fine. Rebound control would be nice.

Weaknesses:    No adjustability (except adding air), not the best for big hits (quick ramp-up). Air shock stiction and high pressure for my fat arse means it takes a bit of a hit to get the shock to begin its travel. I also have a hard time getting enough air in to dial in the I-drive system.

Bottom Line:
After riding for a year I honestly cannot say this is a bad shock. Since I am getting into more trialsy/urban/freeride type riding, I may try a Stratos Air/Coil. I feel that the SID is not suited for my riding style, and I have been lucky with it so far. I am convinced that if I keep using it for drops and jumps that I will tweak it or blow it up, so it is headed to the parts bin as a backup.

Similar Products Used:   SID Dual Air w/ rebound control, Fox Vanilla Air, Stratos Air, RS CoupeDeluxe (ugh), other low end coil shocks.

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive w/ Judy Race (100mm)

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from Bolton, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2002

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    the Shock

Bottom Line:
I really dont like this shock the seals sux, all of the manuals are inacurate, I only weigh 150 and im on my second shock, I still have not recieved the right pressure settings for the shock, I will never buy another product from rock shck, and there support is the worst.

Favorite Trail:   Notch trail

Bike Setup:   giant XTC DS/2 w/hayes Mech. sun rhyno lite w/XT hub

Submitted by Steve a Downhiller from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Strengths:    Um... It's good for little kids

Weaknesses:    I've had it for a long time on my FSR, and I never really like it. I weigh 150 pounds, and make the shock as hard as it can get, but it still bottomed out over four foot drops. It's too cross country. No adjustability. I'm trading my piece of crap FSR for a Bullit with a Fox Vanilla RC.

Bottom Line:
I don't like it. Bad travel quality, doesn't hold air, no adjustability. Get a coil shock!

Purchased At:   Pacific Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla R, Fox Vanilla RC, Fox Float

Bike Setup:   99 FSR with RS SID rear and PSYLO front, more crappy parts everywere else.

Submitted by roe from elmhurst

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2001

Strengths:    very plush shock, i definatly like the feel.

Weaknesses:    the shock slowly looses air,but i would rather fill it with air once a week than have it blow out. i cannot complain about this shock 1 year of hard landings from a 210 lb rider and no problems yet.

Bottom Line:
so far so good, i put a review in next year.

Similar Products Used:   first rear shock used.

Bike Setup:   dbr xr1 sid fr fork.

Submitted by Randy Lieberg a Weekend Warrior from North Dakota

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Strengths:    weight, negative chamber, travel, looks

Weaknesses:    touchy adjustabiity, loses pressure, scary reviews on this site. I wish I had a chance to get the adjustable rebound model, but that's not the shock's fault!

Bottom Line:
I first tried the 99' XCR-3000 with a RS Deluxe coil shock a year ago. I hated it - it felt loose and heavy (both the bike & the shock). Then I hopped on a 2000 model XCR-3000 with the SID air. What a difference. I loved the GT with the air, and matched up to the smooth Hydracoil Judy it seemed a sure sell. I also liked the idea of the negative spring because I was used to my other bike's Judy with Englund airs, thus the love of the air "feel".

Since I got the bike at Christmas, I've only gotten to use it in the winter. This being said, the seals have held up surprisingly well. I weigh 190, and like to practice on drops & urban obstacles. So far I love the performance of the shock - the air is smooth and supple. However, it will remain to be seen how it performs in the summer, when I have a chance to put it through its paces. I have heard horror stories of the SID blowing seals on long downhills, and that air shocks tend to ramp up pretty quickly. I suppose if I back off the pressure in the negative chamber it may help cut ramp-up.

Overall I like the shock. Its feel complements the Judy nicely and suits how I like my bike to feel (that's the point, right?). I will submit a followup review in August after a few months of warmer weather riding.

Favorite Trail:   Paul Bunyan State Forest, MN

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Deluxe coil over, Fox Air Vanilla

Bike Setup:   00' GT XCR-3000 (fairly stock), Judy XC (set at 80mm)

Submitted by reini a Cross Country Rider from charlotte nc

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2000

Strengths:    great on my schwinn rocket 88 stage 3 because i am only fifteen and weigh 110 pounds. can be easily adjusted for weight with the dual air system. i have it at 100 psi in the main chamber and 120 psi in the secondary chamber. it is super soft and plush!

Bottom Line:
my bike has a no bob feature on it that helps when climbing and pedaling, and it makes this shock feel like butter when going downhill. it is easily adjustable and works well when wet and cold. easier to clean mud off of than a coil and is very smooth.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   fox float

Bike Setup:   schwinn rocket 88 stage 3, judy race, SID dual air, titec hellbent stem and bars and seatpost, deore all over, bel-air saddle, AWESOME!

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from DC

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2000

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    just does not work as well as a fox
putting in air is a hassle

Bottom Line:
Not as good as a fox, the fox is much more reactive to small bumps

Favorite Trail:   PLantatio trail

Similar Products Used:   Fox air float r

Bike Setup:   X-fly,hayes,race face

Submitted by Bob Higgins a Weekend Warrior from Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2000

Strengths:    Nice when it works...

Weaknesses:    Blown 4 of them in 4 months, lousy support, zero customer service

Bottom Line:
With the Giant NRS system I have no choice, it is dependent on an independently adjustable negative chamber to achieve its designed performance (280lbs pos, 50lbs neg)

This shock sucks! (because it doesn't last 30 days), and the company sucks more! (because they won't do anything about it)

Maybe if someone from Rock Shox reads this they might contact me and tell me what they are doing so that I can ride the bike I spent $3500 on!