RockShox Shox 2000 Pro Deluxe Older Rear Shocks

3.36/5 (25 Reviews)

Rock Shox 2000 Pro Deluxe

Submitted by Kok Piew LEE a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2006

Strengths:    excellent

Weaknesses:    oil seal no good

Bottom Line:
i got my Rock Shox oil leak, and i have problem to get a replacement oilseal (ring), can someone tell me where to buy? possible Singapore or Malaysia.
thanks

Purchased At:   Taiwan

Similar Products Used:   nil

Bike Setup:   Giant AC1

Submitted by Tim Boulter a Cross Country Rider from Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    I've owned my AC2 for 6 months or so now and the pro delux is the best freeride shock i've come accross! It's reliable, masive amounts of travel and it absorts trails like nothing else. Great Shock!

Weaknesses:    If using a weaker spring the shock bottoms out consequently blowing a seal. this is mainly because the pro delux has 6" of tavel and on a freeride/DH cycle you just wanna use it to it's full

Bottom Line:
Great Shock forget the rest, This shock is the BEST!!

Favorite Trail:   I Ride anywhere!

Purchased At:   peddle on cycles UK

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla

Bike Setup:   MPH disk, psylo xc

Submitted by vince a Weekend Warrior from ormond fl

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2003

Strengths:    squishy

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
this shock is crap i broke it on a 2 foot gap jump

Favorite Trail:   bellview

Purchased At:   stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   stratos

Bike Setup:   ac1 dirt jump 2 stratos helix pro single track rims avid mech brakes

Submitted by David Fox a Weekend Warrior from St Annes Lancs UK

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Strengths:    really plush, reacts very well to even the slightest bump, the noise of the oil sloshing about inside :), looks pretty damn good, damping, adjustability- if i knew how to use it

Weaknesses:    Only that i dont know how to work the adjustments, because i got sent the RS SID instructions but thats the shop's Other than that, none

Bottom Line:
A great shock- doesnt feel any different to the fox.
I was expecting the shock to be really rubbish after reading all the bad reviews but it isn't- dont listen to them.

Favorite Trail:   Rivington

Purchased At:   Wadescycles

Similar Products Used:   freind's fox vanilla

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Team, Jr T's, XT, hope mini

Submitted by Morty a Weekend Warrior from Sydney

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustable, reliable if matched to correct spring. Good service from Australian distributor.

Weaknesses:    If it is not matched to the correct spring, the upper oil seal will blow. Mine did that within a week. stock spring too soft

Bottom Line:
At 95kg (210lbs) I experienced spring bind and a blown oil seal within the first week. I had enquired about firmer more appropriate springs when the bike was purchased and was told that the AC2 is plush bike & to try the stock setup. (less choice of bike shops once AC2 supplies dried up hence my bad luck with initial bike shop) The shock was taken to a different Giant dealer who told me it would be fixed and back to me within a week and true to their word, the Australian distributor fixed it and had it back to me within a week. Once I discovered a 750lbs spring it has been faultless, smooth, great variety of adjustment and worth the initial troubles. I would reccomend to anyone who has the right spring for their intended use but may not be up to the task of large drop offs on the Giant AC series of bikes due to the extra leverage on the shock from the AC series read suspension. On the long rough firetrail descents that I do since it's repair, I've found it a great all rounder.

Favorite Trail:   Old Great North Rd

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Bike Setup:   Giant 2002 AC2 Aussie spec.

Submitted by Scott Clements a Downhiller from Tasmania

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Strengths:    Plush! Damping works great!!! (Don't listen to anyone else!!!)I guess damping does not work when oil leaks, but mine has not leaked at all... Look cool (02 black)... Could be more progressive... And I very sceptical about it blowing up on big landings.

Weaknesses:    The spring collar snapped at the rebound end! Big landing, and it just snapped! Come on rock shox, thats not good enough. Stainless steel might be better, or a thicker alloy. Doesn't like anything bigger than 9 foot.

Bottom Line:
Good shock for hard core DH racing, plush!!! But do not use for big hit freeriding.

Favorite Trail:   Dial Ranges

Purchased At:   On Bike (McBains)

Similar Products Used:   Fox, but this one is not as progressive. (thats a guess).

Bike Setup:   AC3, Marzochhi Z1 forks, Deore/LX drivetrain, FSA V-drive cranks and ISIS BB. Titec components, SUN rims, hayes brakes, WTB tyres...

Submitted by Cam Sherriff a Weekend Warrior from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    Great adjustability

Weaknesses:    Had an annoying squeak on hard landings ever since I got it. Leaks oil, leaks oil after a rebuild.

Bottom Line:
Initially this shock feels good on the trail, soaks up everything quite nicely. I was a bit wary because I'd read all the bad reviews of the shock but I wanted the AC frame so I thought I'd give it a go any way.
The shock had a really annoying squeak on hard landings but I thought it was just something that would need bedding in.
I was impressed with the adjustibility of the shock, this was one of it's best features.
The shock began leaking oil one day on a relatively subtle downhill section. I sent it back to the shop for them to forward it to Rock Shox who would apparently rebuild it under warranty. I got the shock back and before I even rode it around the block it was leaking oil worse than before. This made me mad, so I rang the shop back and after some negotiation with Rock Shox they organised to send me a new one. I was happy. I just hope this one lasts quite a while longer than the previous one. It does feel better though.
I've never been keen on Rock Shox, even though this is the first product of their's that I've owned. I thought I'd take a chance, and the fact that they have let me down with their quality control confirms my dislike for their products.
However, if the shock doesn't blow it works quite well. It's just a pity that reliability in these shocks is poor.

The shock desrves a good rating, but my experience with it lowers my rating for it.

Favorite Trail:   Mount Wellington

Purchased At:   Phantom Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First rear shock used

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant AC3 frame, '99 Z1 Drop-Offs, XSIV Hydraulic discs, Sun Rims, LX/Deore Groupset, RaceFace Prodigy Crankset

Submitted by Reece a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, ACT, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth action, highly effective damping adjustments

Weaknesses:    None with the shock, plenty with the instructions GIANT included with the AC-2: They may be the reason so many are having a poor experience with these shocks (most, if not all are on AC's). See below for details.

Bottom Line:
This shock works really well when it's working - that's been said before but it's true. The caveat is the setup of the spring!

The Giant AC manual states that you can wind up the preload until half the thread is showing below the collar BUT, the shock manual says NO MORE than 2.5 turns of the collar from the point where any pre-load slack is taken up. Very different instructions and the critical difference between a beautifully operating masterpiece and an oil spewing, clanking piece of junk.

I took the most liberal instructions ie GIANT's 'cause it saved me getting off my but to buy another spring; one weeks riding later and the shock is dead - exact signs repeated over and over again in these reviews.

Would recommend to anyone wanting a tough, highly adjustable shock. Just SET IT UP RIGHT!!!

Favorite Trail:   Majura Pines

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   GIANT AC-2, 600pound spring, Red Psylo springs up front, XT deraileurs, pretty much stock otherwise

Submitted by Scott Clements a Downhiller from Tasmania

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Strengths:    Looks cool, has good compression and rebound adjustment!!! Easy to set up, adjust... Plush!!! Really plush. Does NOT have a harsh CLUNK when it bottoms out.

Weaknesses:    None so far... Apart from some bad reviews. And I saw a guy snap one... But you get a dud with everything!!!

Bottom Line:
This is a great shock.... Lots of adjustments, but bad reviews about blowing up??? Oh well, if it happens, so be it!!!! I'll just enjoy it... I'm confident it wont stuff up, because I have done 5-6' flat-flat drops, and 6-7 foot launches off clifs with roll downs and similar stuff... No probs yet.

Four Chilis because of the bad reviews.... But thats stupid... A great ride!!!

Favorite Trail:   Drops Track

Purchased At:   On Bike (McBains)

Similar Products Used:   FOX (maybe a tad plusher than the Vanilla R).

Bike Setup:   GIANT AC3-2002, Psylo's, Hayes, XT/LX, Titec all round, SUN, WTB.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Sudbury, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2002

Strengths:    Adustability (when it's actually working).

Weaknesses:    Everything aside from adjustability (which hardly ever works anyway).

Bottom Line:
This "shock", if you can call it that, came stock on the Giant AC 2 I rode last year, and the one I'm on this year. It lasted maybe 3 rides before it blew up for the FIRST time last year, blowing up 3 times in total. I've had my NEW AC 2for MAYBE 5 rides this season (2002), and the shock is already leaking oil and losing adjustability (rebound, compression). I have been a manager at a core bike shop for 4 years now, and have NEVER come across such a pathetic product.

If you're thinking about purchasing a Pro Deluxe, DO NOT. If your bike came stock with one, GET RID OF IT before it blows up and costs you precious riding time. NEVER EVER put this shock on your bike. Buy a quality product like a FOX VANILLA R or have STRATOS custom build you something. I'm going to talk $h1t about Rock Shox until the cows come home due to my past two years riding their pathetic products.

Bike Setup:   Giant AC 2. Set up for "freeriding" ;)

Submitted by JohnnyDH a Downhiller from Lebanon, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    plush, adjustiblity

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
shock is really nice, can hold up to a beating on the race course, adjustable for anything. If you area looking for a smooth ride and don't like the uphills this is for you. If you are a XC rider, this is not for you.

Favorite Trail:   my backyard

Purchased At:   my secret

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla

Bike Setup:   Giant DH Team, with Boxxer and all raceface component. Sram 9.0 shifter and rear D.

Submitted by Stan a Downhiller from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Strengths:    Great adjustability.

Weaknesses:    Shock blows up!!!

Bottom Line:
The shock is pretty bad ass, as long as it is in perfect working order. My blew up midway through a DH run. It's cool that it came w/ the bike, but I'm going to buy a Fox to replace it.

Favorite Trail:   Troy Lee

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla RC (The best I've tried)

Bike Setup:   Giant AC2 w/ Marzzochi Z1 MCR QR20, Nokian 2.3 (f/r)

Submitted by Stephen Amend a Downhiller from Montreal Canada

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustibility, piggyback

Weaknesses:    none...

Bottom Line:
I really don't know what all the fuss is about how bad this shock is......the reviews are either really good, or really bad......mostly really bad. maybe i just got a good shock out of the bunch, or you all just got crap ones, but i have no problems with seals, or leaking, anything broken or anything other than this hissing noise that is makes during hard compression.....but i've come to like the noise anyway. i think all your shocks were just made on a friday afternoon and some details were overlooked, cause i tried fox, and i hate them. i'm constantly doing drops on my urban assults, and there really is nothing wrong with it

Favorite Trail:   nothing uphill please

Purchased At:   Stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   fox i dunno what...stratos

Bike Setup:   Giant AC2 with BoXXer, 3.0 gazzy in front, chainguide, flat pedals, 8" up front

Submitted by Joe a Racer from orcutt ca

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Strengths:    The products best strengths is its adjustability..thats all

Weaknesses:    This shox sucks the seals suck they blow out to much. Doesnt handle big drops or narlly southern california rocky down hill trails.

Bottom Line:
I only weigh 170 pounds and ive busted the shock in two peices like a lot of others.if your into serious downhil,or freeriding. Save up ur pennies so when it breaks you can buy a new shock (Fox)that way you spend more time riding than waiting for it to be rebuilt about two weeks later.

Favorite Trail:   cold springs trail in Santa barbara