RockShox Shock Rear Sid Older Rear Shocks

3.1/5 (39 Reviews)

Rear Sid

Submitted by lucidmonkey a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2011

Strengths:    10 years old now. Never blew a seal and doesn't leak air at all.

Weaknesses:    The included external "O" ring is stretched which happened when new as well. It is just a marker for maximum travel and not important for regular usage Nothing a trip to the car parts store couldn't fix.

Bottom Line:
Never failed me. Always did it's job...still after TEN years.

Bike Setup:   Diamondback xsl pro

Submitted by Wally a Weekend Warrior from Payson, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Currently building the bike up now. The SidXC came on the frame I purchased, an 02 Giant NRS. After reading the reviews here, I was wondering if I should even use it. But after doing the research, I found that RockShox's set up instructions differ greatly Giant's for the SID. Where Giant says to set up the negative chamber at 50 pounds no matter what. RockShox says for a firm ride, set the negative chamber to 50-80 percent of the positive. And for a softer ride, 90 to 110 percent. For more details, check out the link below. And if you look around the website, you'll find the service guide giving complete instructions for a rebuild.

Submitted by Cam Anderson a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2005

Strengths:    Looked cool when i first bought the bike.

Weaknesses:    Leaks!!!!!!!!!!! Several times, over the three years i've had it, it has failed on trail (leaving me to walk home).

Bottom Line:
I rarely write reviews but i felt this was needed. DON'T buy ROCK SHOX!!! They break all the time, are expensive to get serviced and customer service is appalling! The final clincher was when i asked RS for a new valve (which was leaking, surprise surprise) they told me, they don't make it any more and that i should throw the shock out and buy one of their new ones!! JOKE!!!!!
I was very hesitant to take the bike with this shock in the first place (but i really loved the rest of the bike),guess i should have upgraded it while i had the chance.

Favorite Trail:   oaks fire trail

Similar Products Used:   Fox vanilla

Bike Setup:   Giant XCX DS2

Submitted by Jay Ho a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2005

Strengths:    Works, no more than advertised, no less than promised

Weaknesses:    Gotta hear the crap about them.

Bottom Line:
I have this rear shock on both my XC bikes, training and racing. I read all the bad reviews about how they blow and blah, blah, blah. My friends always worry about how they'lI hold up. WHY? I don't worry, I just ride the hell out of them. I weigh 210 with full gear. I ride the rocky east coast. I jump and crash all my bikes cuz it's part of MTBiking. And I have no probs with this shock, on either bike. It is a bit stiff compared to my 5th coil, but this is a XC shock. If/when these blow, I may try something else. But as of now, don't see a reason to.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Similar Products Used:   5th Element, Fox

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS1
DEAN Ace

Submitted by Pete a Racer from Des Moines, IA

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2003

Strengths:    Looks Cool, adjustability on the fly, little maintenance when working

Weaknesses:    The engineering and company reputation with rear shocks

Bottom Line:
I've never been much of a Rock Shox fan since blowing a Rock Shom Mag 21 out many years ago. I got this Sugar from the classifieds on this website for an incredible deal. The Rock Shox SID came with the bike and worked well throughout the summer with almost no maintenance. I'm 225lbs and rode it fairly stiff. It took most of the punishment dished out for over 7 months then, all of the sudden the cold weather hits and the air chambers went flat. Pumped it back up and rode for another week only to find the seals are now blown. Took it to the local shop and found the rebound mechanism is blown too. Due to the horrendous reputation Rock Shox has regarding customer service, I'm not even going to try to call them, I've just purchased a Cane Creek Cloud Nine to put on my bike. The Cane Creek is getting rave reviews and costs less money. If you're a Clydesdale rider, be careful when purchasing a rear Rock Shock. It will run good for awhile then fall apart.

Favorite Trail:   Science Center Trail

Bike Setup:   '01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1

Submitted by Gregor a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Strengths:    - Didn't brake.
- Remote Lockout feature

Weaknesses:    The negative air chamber leaked from day one.

Bottom Line:
Because of that negative air chamber problem
(which it took me one year to identify), the
shock barely reacted to small bumps. A fat
tire would have been just as effective. In the
end the schrader valve was worn out as well.
No fun with this shock. At least it didn't brake.
Switching to coil or Cane Creek now.

Submitted by bobby a Cross Country Rider from toronto

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2002

Strengths:    it's made of metal

Weaknesses:    who has the time to crack the mystery of the correct settings? after logging an hour wrenching for each hour riding i am done with this crap. save your money.

Bottom Line:
why anyone would think that a piece of gear should require as much maintenance as a WW2 aircraft is beyond me.
i have spent more time trying to figure out the correct air pressure as i have riding this piece of sheee-ite.

it finally seized yesterday. i was wary of r-shox to start - now i know why.

THIS STUFF STINKS!!! it would get zero chilli's if there was an option.

buy a fox, stratos or romic - or anything else.

Bike Setup:   mtn cycle san andreas

Submitted by Mr A a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustability, light weight, plush

Weaknesses:    incorrect information on set up from manufacturers, seals

Bottom Line:
Anyone with a Giant needs to run the negative spring at 100psi NOT 50psi sometimes recommended by Giant. Running too low a negative spring can cause the shock to appear to seize. Why haven't Giant or RockShox done anything about this? It is a good shock but needs to be setup right. Ensure you get the shock serviced by a specialist shock tuner on a regular basis.

Favorite Trail:   Sherwood Pines

Purchased At:   with bike

Submitted by Ash R a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2002

Strengths:    adjustability

Weaknesses:    where do I start? I'm a XC'er who doesn't ride too hard but this shock has failed not once but twice in 12 months. Both times the shock has seized solid. The reason is the seals inside perish after a short period of time. Also the negative air chamber loses pressure almost straight away - again poor seals.

Bottom Line:
One failure I could understand but 2 failures in 12 months? This product works very well when it's working but can't be relied on.

Favorite Trail:   Ladybower

Purchased At:   With bike

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   XC Spec

Submitted by Mike McLeod a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Strengths:    cosmetically pleasing takes the edge off of a whoopde-doo ride.

Weaknesses:    seal performance, bypass problems

Bottom Line:
Hopefully SRAM can give Rock Shox some pointers on how to make a more reliable shock. Reliability to me is one of the most important features of any bike component. After 2 years on the sid a complete overhaul was needed, and after much deliberation Rock Shox decided to replace it with a new bouncer (sid xc). Adjustability is of marginal concern because once I set it up that's where it stays until the ride is done. Be careful about buying used shock products!!!

Favorite Trail:   Watthen

Bike Setup:   2000 DBR XR8-stock

Submitted by Steve Evans a Weekend Warrior from Yorkshire, England

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Light? adjustable

Weaknesses:    Fragile, bobs a lot - but that may be me :)

Bottom Line:
Came with bike...
First one was a SID XC, after a months use the negative air spring started leaking.
Warranty replacement: no. 2 was another SID XC, 1 month later, air started shifting between the positive and negative air springs (but at least it stayed in the shock this time!)
Warranty replacement: no. 3 was a SID race (adjustable rebound damping), this has done much better! After about 3 months the damping started going a bit funny to the point that I now have the damping adjuster screwed all the way in to get the same damping as half way through the adjustment from new. Unfortunately the negative spring valve has just blown off (4 months for this one!) and covered my leg in oil :(
I weigh about 145lb and ride all sorts, including dropoffs up to about 3 feet (before I get too scared). Perhaps my problems are related to the Marin having 6 inches of travel (sometimes I use 5) but I have now given up on Rockshox.
Can't comment on actual performance when it works, because I haven't yet tried anything other than RS on the rear.

Bike Setup:   Marin Rock Springs, Z1 fork

Submitted by John Kerrison a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    Looks nice with that funky black colour and SID sticker

Weaknesses:    How are you supposed to adjust the thing to perfection, is's beyond me. I am on a Marin Rock Springs it's lovely and stiff on the four inch travel but stick it on the six inch travel and you're bottoming out all the time with too much noise too boot. It appears to be not the perfect match for my multi travel bike, ooops.

Bottom Line:
Not that happy with it and feel as though I should have done more research on the shock but it came with the bike so what can I do?

Favorite Trail:   Antything with some drop-offs

Purchased At:   hardisty cycles

Similar Products Used:   fox float

Bike Setup:   stock Marin Rock Springs ( says a lot with an air shock!! )

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Alpharetta, GA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Product was on NSR Air and after initial set up and tweeking till it was dead on, I have had no air leaks and shock has performed flawlessly.

Bottom Line:
For those who love to complain about the little things, then find another sport. When you beat a product up on rocks, hills, logs, etc., there tends to be some type of dent or air leak. Remember, if its man made...then Murphy's Law erupts! Great shock for the dollar, and it performs like a work horse.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn/AL

Purchased At:   lbs

Submitted by Howard a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Strengths:    Super light weight. Easy to set up. Excellent ride handling characteristics.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike over 1000 miles a year. I have yet to experience the kinds of problems that others are writing about. This shock has performed flawlessly with almost 2000 miles on it. The best part is that I can just set it, and forget it. I have only adjusted the air pressure twice since I've owned the shock. No air leaks. I rebuild my own bikes. The Rockshox fork and rear suspension are the only equipment I recommend to my friends. I really don't understand what the other riders are doing to blow out the seals. I weigh in at 155 pounds on the bathroom scale. I like jumping but I'm not insane on the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Alderfer Three Sisters

Purchased At:   Came with the bike.