Noleen NR-4 Rear Shock Older Rear Shocks

3.5/5 (32 Reviews)

Noleen NR-4 Rear Shock

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Palatine

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    The shock rides real nice and looks impressive.

Weaknesses:    I can't tell the diff from smart mode to manual. The rebound actions sticks somtimes and the shock blew oil all over my swing arm,brake and tire with less than 50 miles on it.(4th time out)

Bottom Line:
K2 is replacing my shock under warrenty with a nr-2. I hope it works the reviews where not assuring. Does anyone know a good aftermarket shock?

Favorite Trail:   Deer Grove

Similar Products Used:   Fox RC

Bike Setup:   Proflex 5000,Z3 bomber,XT drive,monkey light bars and ct2 post. Cancreek D-5 brakes.

Submitted by James Bywater a Cross Country Rider from London, UK

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Strengths:    Good all-round shock, very adjustable.

Weaknesses:    I have had to replace twice due to oil leaks!

Bottom Line:
It's good but the NR2 I have has outlasted it. Much more adjustable than the NR2 though. Might be better on a bike which has a bit more travel as the 3" on the proflex doesn't really use the shock to it's full ability.

Favorite Trail:   Somewhere in Derbyshire...

Purchased At:   Noel Craft Cycles, Boston, Lincs

Similar Products Used:   NR-2 on the front.

Bike Setup:   Pro-Flex (K2) 957 Girvin Carbon Fork, mostly XT, hope 'fatso' hubs etc.

Submitted by KJ Smith a Cross Country Rider from Orem, UT

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2000

Strengths:    So far low maintenance. Compression is good.

Weaknesses:    Controls are adequate, but could be more sensitive. Not user servicable

Bottom Line:
I can recommend this shock now. The third one has been the charm(See my previous review from 1999). I did not have good luck with my first two. This one has not leaked any oil(I better run and check it after posting this ). I have had zero problems after more than 500 miles of nothing but dirt, rocks and one skunk. It has even cushioned my body on the Porcupine Rim Trail in Moab. I remember riding that trail a few years ago w/o any suspension. What a difference. PS I found a mechanic at the Kaibab(sp) bike shop in Moab who services this shock cheaper than K2 and offers some customizing options.

Favorite Trail:   That is personal

Similar Products Used:   Stratos, fox,

Bike Setup:   K2 5000, Marzocchi Z2 Bam, Mud, rocks and trail. Lizard Skin boot on the N4 from day one.

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from Arlington,TX, Tarrant

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Strengths:    Great travel
Smooth as silk

Weaknesses:    Goofy looking
Not very adjustable

Bottom Line:
Really smoothed things out for me. Almost had to give up mountain biking because of neck operation,(dumped the hard tail)but this shock saved me. I love to ride hard and fast over the ruff stuff and my weight is 159lbs. No problems yet.

Favorite Trail:   Any that make me say Oh Shi_!

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension

Bike Setup:   K2 5000 Proflex, Manitou Xvert T Triple clamp, LX and Race Face parts

Submitted by jacob a Downhiller from IL

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Strengths:    Great adjustability, and it takes BIG hits well. Also tracks nicely

Bottom Line:
No problems. I've raced in it, i've rode some sick drop-offs, and i've ridden almost every day for the last 2 summers. I couldnt ask for more in a rear shock. My suggestion is, to buy a lizard skin for it. Grit gets on the shaft and i get worried... Otherwise its perfect the way it is. P.s. Check out my website if you want to see it! hehe http://homestead.juno.com/mak90_1

Favorite Trail:   Aldeen

Similar Products Used:   NR-2, rst-22

Bike Setup:   Proflex 4000se w/99 Judy XLC

Submitted by Craig from Redmond, WA USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've heard a lot of bad press concerning the NR-4... Mine has held up to a hell of a lot of thrashing and hasnt given me any trouble... I have had a lizard skin on it since day one, which is a good idea for anyone... The compression dampening is great, as are the bottom out bumpers, although I believe I have only hit them once or twice... I wish the rebound control was a little more effective, more towards the slower range, but that is a nit-pick at best....

Bike Setup:   '98 K2 4500 Carbon frame, Manitou X-Vert DC, NR4 rear shock, Hayes discs front and rear, Race Face and Shimano drivetrain, Easton carbon post and bar, Time pedals, Spin wheels....

Submitted by Tyler a Weekend Warrior from UT,USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2000

Strengths:    pretty much everything about it

Weaknesses:    Seems to squeak quite often

Bottom Line:
I think this is an awesome shock for my needs... I've put some nasty abuse on this shock... no leaks yet, seems from the reviews that there are a lot of NR-4 lemons out there. Mine is great though, so since I have yet to come across problems it gets the best rating from me.

Favorite Trail:   Blowhard

Similar Products Used:   nothing... this is my first FS bike setup

Bike Setup:   K2 proflex 5000

Submitted by P.D. Nick a Downhiller from A Great, Place For, DHing

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, great dampening, easy to maintain

Weaknesses:    not everyone can use it.

Bottom Line:
This shock is from my old frame so obviously I don't use it no more. The is a great rear shock for a beginning freerider. It's easy to maintain, give great amount of travel, always damp. It was almost depressing to give it up.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with rocks and mud/dirt

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla RC, Vanilla R, Vanilla T, Sratos Helix.

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle DHS, XT/XTR, White Bros UD150DH

Submitted by KJ Smith a Cross-Country Rider from Orem, UT

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1999

Strengths:
Compression. Price.

Weaknesses:
Dampening is not as adjustable as I like. Cant work on the shock when are the mfg. going to listen!!!

Bottom Line:
Since purchasing my bike in 2/99, I have had two NR4s replaced. Blew the first one--go figure (I weigh 180 and do not ride real hard). Second one leaked a lot at the end opposite of the shaft. Oil was all over my rear swingarm, etc. You could even smell the oil after a ride. I hope my new one lasts a bit longer.

Secret trail west of Salem, OR

1 Year

Rock Shox, Stratos, Fox

K2 5000 with Marzocchi Z2

Submitted by Bill a Cross-Country Rider from Mesa Arizona

Date Reviewed: November 18, 1999

Strengths:
everything

Weaknesses:
none that I have found

Bottom Line:
I have put over 600 hard and rough miles on this bike since I bought it. I love the rear shock! I don't know if Noleen got the leaks under control or what, I haven't had the slightest problem with mine.

6 months

all Noleen's NRs

98 4000xc

Submitted by Arjun a Cross-Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1999

Strengths:
*adjustable compression damping
*smooth

Weaknesses:
*adjustable rebound damping that isn't.
*poor quality control
*it sqeaks

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for a week and a half-- I love it-- but I don't like the Noleen NR-4 rear shock. After my first ride on it, I noticed that paint was chipping off a part of the spring (see photo... I don't know if this form will accepot HTML or not). I didn't worry much about it since springs are made of very hard steel-- the piggyback couldn't wear through the spring.After my second ride a friend commented on the chipped paint. So I took a closer look. The spring had actually been wearing through the piggyback nitrogen unit! (2 images: image 1, image 2). This is obviously not a good thing! I wouldn't want a crack to form in the 200Psi nitrogen piggyback unit! This problem implies some very poor quality control on Noleen's part. Another issue that I have is that I can't adjust the rebound damping- as it is right now my shock has not much rebound damping, and I can't feel any difference in the damping whether the rebound is set to min or max.On the positive side, the shock is VERY smooth-- it rides quite plush, and the compression damping works very well (and is quite adjustable).

less than 1 month

K2 Proflex 4000SE

Submitted by Shain a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1999

Strengths:
*Great adjustability
*Nice travel
*Great Downhill Shock

Weaknesses:
Sometimes squeaks
hard to clean

Bottom Line:
This is a great shock, it holds up great on the downhill, and isn't too bad on the uphills. I don't know what all the fuss is about?

Canmore to Banff

6 months

Rock shock deluxe back shock

nr4 on a k2 Proflex 4000

Submitted by Lee Chun a Cross-Country Rider from Concord, CA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
Compression, Rebound, Preload adjustments. This is my second NR-4. The first was not so good, but the second is great! I haven't touched the shock other than when I take my RTS frame apart and grease all moving parts. It has had a lot of dust, but still very smooth and quiet.

Weaknesses:
A little overdamped is correct, but it is plush. I like it.

Bottom Line:
I got one good rear shock after one not-so good. After almost one year of use, the shock hasn't been a problem at all. It has been smooth and plush. I'll make up for the 1 chilli I gave now almost a year ago...

1 Year

NR-1

RTS
98 SX-Ti, Noleen NR-4

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from (Melbourne) Australia

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1999

Strengths:
Really stiff and cool adjustments for both NR2(front) and NR4(rear)

Weaknesses:
A little squeking sound from both shocks

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure what to say. I've heard more bad reports than good ones on both shocks. I just hope they work out well for me.

less than 1 month

The old elastomer Shock units for the girvin forks and rear which sucks.

Submitted by Sean a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've already reviewed the shock, but I have to review the customer service. I was recently working on my shock when I accidentally let the nitrogen out. I figured it was gonna cost me. Noleen replaced my shock with the newest model for free, and in only three days! As for the newer model, it's even better than the old. Five chillis for the best customer service I've ever come across.