Noleen NR-2 Rear Shock Older Rear Shocks

3.07/5 (43 Reviews)

Noleen NR-2 Rear Shock

Submitted by lionelds69 a Cross Country Rider from Great Falls, Montana

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2009

Strengths:    Felt smooth on harder bumps

Weaknesses:    Seals failed too soon

Bottom Line:
I did not like the way this felt once I set it up seemed way to stiif at first but worked ok once a big bump jumped out at me. This was nothing compared to the dt swiss that I replaced it with. no true adjustabilty

Favorite Trail:   Souther Helena

Purchased At:   E Bay

Similar Products Used:   Noleen spring and dt swiss

Bike Setup:   Gt team I drive 4 2.0 volenta rims with xtr center locks sid front and xtr disk brakes

Submitted by Jason Yoo from Daly City, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2005

Strengths:    Shock seems to work fine

Weaknesses:    Shock bushing came loose quickly. Customer service is a joke.

Bottom Line:
After some use, the shock bushing gave way and there was play between the frame and shock. The problem was that the fixing bolt threat was biting into the aluminum spacer which did not have a matching threat. Contacted Noleen Shock service by phone and e-mail. At first they tried to avoid any customer service saying that NR-2 was manufactured by DNM in Taiwan. Yeah, but it has Noleen tag!!! Igave them the size measurements of the bushing aluminium spacer because they promised to try find a similar spacer and call me back (about $10). But they never called back, and did not resond to e-mail so far. I am sure they would respond if it was $100+ shock service. Customer service is a joke, so beware whatever you buy from Noleen! Next time they might tell you their component was manufactured in Taiwan and has nothing to do with it!!!

Favorite Trail:   White Rim Trail, Moab UT

Purchased At:   REI (Came with the K2 frame)

Similar Products Used:   Manitu rear shock, The 5th Element

Bike Setup:   K2 disco monkey

Submitted by phill a Downhiller from salem, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    great ride when every thing works. - i like how responsive the forks are and how the tail sticks to the ground. it rode as smooth as my cadillac.

Weaknesses:    *NR-2*. headset. gripshifts. crank.

Bottom Line:
i loved the way it rode until i was on a routine ride and the NR-2 began spaying oil all over my rear wheel and my legs. i took a look at it and tightened a few things, i really didnt know what i was doing but thought it would work. after a few more days of riding with no oil i went off a curb and heard a pop ! i thought my seat had broke but to my suprise the shaft that goes in the shock had snapped off right next to the bottom of the adjuster knob.
well, i saw that coming riding a NR-2 but i dont know if i should avoid noleen and K-2 all together and upgrade to risse or somthing. the previous owner had tried to get ahold of the illusive buy-out company for me and still no help. all i can say is f--k all you guys at K-2 and keep bitting balls you rat basterds. so far ive missed 3 competitions waiting on K-2. these guys want nothing to do with you except your money up front and then they turn their harry @$$ed backs on you when you need their help. die you spaz bite goat mouths! now i have to do this on my own you K-2 f--ks!

Favorite Trail:   northshore, and silver falls, oh and my freinds backyard

Purchased At:   freind

Bike Setup:   proflex 855. girvin elite shocks. Azonic bars. mavics etc

Submitted by andrew plant a Weekend Warrior from new zealand

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Strengths:    trying to get information on what other kind of rear shock ican put onto my pro flex 857 as one i have is blown and shops in new zealand dont deal with noleen shocks or pro flexs bikes at all .any help would be great thanks

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
help

Favorite Trail:   cross and down hill

Purchased At:   got bike off a mate

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   pro flex 857

Submitted by Lou Marino a Weekend Warrior from Wilkes-Barre, PA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Strengths:    Great for beating the crap out of until you need K2 to help you out with parts or warranty service.

Weaknesses:    K2 can suck my ass. They are worse than Haro for warranty. I have recently been blacklisted by Haro and am working really hard on K2 now. Bike companies SUCK!!!

Bottom Line:
I fart in the general direction of K2. The bike is great....the shock seems to be made from the crap of tree jungle sloths instead of cheese. The creaking coming from my shock is so bad that the biggest, baddest frog in the swamp can't hold a candle. I guess since I can't seem to get K2 or a dealer to help me out, It will sound like I am laying ass all along the forest trails forever.

Favorite Trail:   Plattekill, NY

Purchased At:   ediscountbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Haro Extreme X3 (Broke that frame in a few months)

Bike Setup:   The kind that will break and the manufacturer will not stand by. K2 Disco Monkey.

Submitted by balooga a Cross Country Rider from edmonton alberta canada

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2002

Strengths:    Great shock so far. no problems with it, gives a smooth ride, looks good too.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
good shock, love it.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   RST something

Bike Setup:   K2 attack 2.0

Submitted by Hadrian a Cross Country Rider from Newtown, CT

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    -Fully adjustable
-Rebound adjustable
-Plush
-Light weight
-SILENT

Weaknesses:    -Spring ring is a mess. Adjusting the coil is impossible because the ring always comes out of place.

Bottom Line:
I have found this shock pretty reliable and durable. I'll post another review later on once i have taken the shock on more trails. The rebound adjuster is great and the shock itself runs silent. No squeeking or funny noises. the spring ring could be better but it can be managed with. I keep the damper clean and free of dirt. I find this helps a lot with keeping the shock from wearing out quickly. If you abuse it and dont take care of it, you'll get what's coming to you. Otherwise this is a great shock. Worth buying.

Favorite Trail:   Bunker Trails- Sandy Hook, CT (my own)

Purchased At:   Northeast Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla RC, Fox Float

Bike Setup:   k2 Disco Monkey

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior from New Milton, Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2002

Strengths:    Fairly lightweight, apparently good build quality, damping works well.

Weaknesses:    Built from cheese, continually snaps where the shaft joins the base.

Bottom Line:
This shock works great until it breaks which seems to be far to often.

Purchased At:   local nike shop

Bike Setup:   proflex, girvin forks, lx/xt, maguras with mavic/lx wheels.

Submitted by TiM a Cross Country Rider from Kingsville, Maryland, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2001

Strengths:    Very stong and durable. Nice rebound and compretion. Very easy to maintain. Lots of usable travle!

Weaknesses:    nnone

Bottom Line:
The bottem line to this shock is that is is very nice. I have never had any problems with it. In my preferance it is one of noleens best shocks.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with big air and long rides

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Fox RC

Bike Setup:   1999 k2 Oz-m
All XTR, and nice raceface stuff. Full carbon frame, Smart fork

Submitted by Hugo a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    Smooth controlled dampening. Up until last weekend, no problems.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy. Mine blew up.

Bottom Line:
Up until now, I haven't had any problems, butI had always been itching for an air shock so as to loose weight. Now that it blew up and is out of warranty, I'll be trying a Risse Genesis. I'm not sure what happened to this shock. The day it blew, I wasn't doing anything different than on any other day. I guess it just wore out. It wasn't a bad shock, but for the money, I think there are better ones (and lighter ones) out there.

Purchased At:   Came with bike.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SuperDelux Fox Vanilla Float

Bike Setup:   16" Proflex 856, Noleen Carbon Crosslink

Submitted by Long Ranger a Cross Country Rider from Grapevine texas

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    I ride it

Weaknesses:    I ride it

Bottom Line:
I really dont understand the lot of you, Ive NEVER broken anything on my bike. I weigh 205, and set the rear with lots of sag and all it does is work. Maybe I have good karma. When I first got my OZ, I looked here and everyone said what a bad shock the N2 is.I had already picked out a air RISSE model so I could replace the N2, but it just doesnt break - matter of fact I dont even think about it. Iam not riding on smooth trails, its rock base and rough as hell. Maybe I just have the good parts,,,or whatever

Favorite Trail:   Rockledge

Purchased At:   not paid to advertise

Bike Setup:   K2 4500 "OZ" carbon fiber frame and gogeous EASTON carbon
fiber swingarm, MOZO XMO fork, "REAL" hub on rear,
trick after trick after trick

Submitted by Bam-Bam a Cross Country Rider from Bedrock, USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my review of 3/7/00.

If you buy a K-2 bike, you should make a tube of K-Y jelly your first accessory purchase. Dealing with K2/Noleen/ProFlex, it's a dead-nuts certainty you'll eventually need it. Can you say, “BOHICA?”

I have owned 2 ProFlexes and loved then both . . . until something broke. The problem isn’t that they broke; everything eventually wears out or breaks. The problem is and has been with the manufacturer's support . . . or rather their lack of it.

I could say their customer service sucks but that would be a brash assumption. Which is to say I’m assuming they have customer service. I’ve seen no evidence of it yet.

I should have learned from dealing with the old ProFlex after buying a 755. But I got suckered into a deal on a closeout 857. And I’m finding that K2, if anything, is worse.

My Noleens blow regularly about every 6 months. Times two shocks, that means about every 3 months I’m down for a shock repair. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Sometimes they have the good manners to blow simultaneously, so at least I can get em' both done at once.

In my previous post I wrote that I’d had a local motorcycle shop rebuild both Noleens. K2’s bean counters apparently got wind that I’d located a sympathetic parts guy there who'd sold parts directly to my MX shop, hunted him down and had him drawn and quartered (sorry, bruh!). Now it is easier to get spare parts for a Tomahawk cruise missile than for a Noleen shock. And Noleen -- their bicycle shock division is owned by K2 -- no longer sells the NR2. So when your Noleen shock blows – and it will – you have only two choices:
1) Sell the broken K2 and buy something for which you can get parts.
2) Launch your NR2 into the K2 repair black hole.
K2's turnarounds have been 3 weeks to 3 months, are about twice as pricey as the local MX shop but only last half as long. Plus I can't get K2 to leave my tuned washer stack alone; I always have to disassemble their rebuild to correct their meddling.

Would I recommend the Noleen as an aftermarket buy? Sure, so long as you can afford to buy them by the dozen, and your brother-in-law works in their rebuild shop. Otherwise, try Risse or Stratos.

Bike Setup:   Pro-Flex 857 w/Girvin fork

Submitted by Kev a Racer from reno/tahoe

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    This is one of the best handling bikes I've had, the problem is with support from Noleen on the shocks.

Weaknesses:    Sent both shocks into Noleen beginning of January so I would have them back in March to race. It's April, no shocks back, and they don't even return my calls. My local shop says their K2 rep is nearly invisible and they can't even get hold of him. Thing was, the shocks didn't need to be rebuilt, I was just doing normal maintenance by sending them in.

Bottom Line:
Not sure the shocks were all that great. I understand that if you have anything with the Smart Shock you're really screwed. I've had to spend over $600 to replace the front fork and rear shock since Noleen has failed to return mine. At least I have other bikes to train on.

Favorite Trail:   Flume Trail

Bike Setup:   Pro-Flex 857,xt,xtr

Submitted by Beast Boy from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2001

Strengths:    It worked well at first

Weaknesses:    It doesn't work now

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for about 5.5 months. I have put it through a beating but I didn't expect this. First I was riding down some stairs and I blew the seals (Not the shocks fault), then today I was casually riding down a blue stone alley way near my house and BANG!!!! I thought a rock had hit my frame. Then I realised that the spring had snapped in half. I have been jumping recently but I didn't expect this to happen. Does anyone else know of this happening? If you do can you e-mail me. Is it my riding, the spring being too soft or is it just bad luck. Other than this, when it isn't at the bike store getting repaired it is a great shock. I just can't give it 5

Favorite Trail:   Our Jumps