Noleen NR-1 Rear Shock Older Rear Shocks

4.2/5 (15 Reviews)

Noleen NR-1 Rear Shock

Submitted by Tony Ratcliffe a Weekend Warrior from Aylesbury, England

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Strengths:    Dead simple but has proved very reliable (4 years no service yet,fair weather use only). Dealer swapped spring for me as original was to soft.

Weaknesses:    No damping adjustment. With 650Lb spring could do with a bit more damping.

Bottom Line:
Can't complain at all! But am concidering either a service or a Fox/Stratos adjustable replacement.

Favorite Trail:   The South Downs

Bike Setup:   ATX 990 with bombers front and long travel plates rear.

Submitted by Duncan Brabbin a Weekend Warrior from Leeds, England

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    Simple and cheap

Weaknesses:    Simple and Weak.

Bottom Line:
This shock is indeed simple, idiot proof adustment being preload only. The only thing is, it is definately cross country only. I've blown the seals in mine about three or four times, it's getting quite expensive and yes I run it with a really stiff spring.

Favorite Trail:   Chevin Forest

Bike Setup:   Shimano LX, BIG riser bars, tough wheels.

Submitted by Bruce Bell a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Strengths:    Simple and light

Weaknesses:    Support in Australia

Bottom Line:
Bought second hand and has lasted well with minimal maintaience. Now has gone bendy in the middle??!! Not sure rebuilding is worth it. What else can I use to replace it, apart from a Stratos on a Proflex 856?

Favorite Trail:   Engadine/Loftus

Bike Setup:   Proflex 856, Shimano XT, Maguras on Mavic

Submitted by Pat G a Weekend Warrior from Columbus OH

Date Reviewed: November 1, 1999

Strengths:
simplicity, durability

Weaknesses:
rebound adjustment isn't great, and it hisses at ya.

Bottom Line:
Ya know this isn't a bad shock. Not very complicated, but also not all that adjustable. I bough my bike used. The previous owner had it two years, and this shock still has not been rebuilt, and has not needed to be rebuilt. I'm 225, and it needs a heavier spring. It's not as nice as a Risse shock, but it's reliable and cheap. I've got an NR4 on now, that has been rebuilt once (nice shock by the way). I use the NR1 has my backup.

Paint Creek

6 months

Fox Vanilla Coil, Noleen NR4

Proflex 856

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Usa

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
plush, doesn't leak any oil, no bob what so ever.

Weaknesses:
too stiff on downhill

Bottom Line:
this is one of the best shocks out there for xc, unless you are a weight weenie

burke mountain

6 months

nr-4, nr-2, fox air vanilla

K2 1000, smart fork, 100% pure shimano gutz

Submitted by Nick Fenton a Racer from Clinton CT

Date Reviewed: July 23, 1999

Strengths:
This is a great shock, I love it! It's so smooth!Better than a NR-2 in a lot of ways

Weaknesses:
No rebound clicker, but it doesn't need one!!! Weight, but ah, who cares!

Bottom Line:
Nothing better in my opinion exept the NR-4, but I didn't really like the NR-4. I rode a bike with one once i=and it felt like I was f=riding a XC bike with a Dh shock, I don't no just didn't feel right.

The little one in my back yard

2 Years

Nothing else. But demode a NR-2 and a R.S. Deluxe

K2 1000 with all XT parts

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from British Columbia

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have an NR-1 on my K2 1000. I have only have had this bike for 3 months and I love this shock. It is smooth and is easy to maintain. Anyone who reads this, buy this shock!

3 months

Submitted by Jay Farbowich a cross-country rider from Jerusalem Israel

Date Reviewed: February 3, 1999

Bottom Line:

This shock absorbs just about anything and on my bike there are no weird noises. If I have one caveat that is there are no instructions on how to maintain and service the shock. The key to rear shocks is getting the proper spring for your body weight and bike specs.

Submitted by LeeChun a cross-country rider from Cali

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Noleen NR1 doesn't have all the adjustments as the Noleen NR4, but I never had any problems with the shock. I now have the NR4, but it seems to be leaking, and sticking and clicking, after the first ride!The Noleen NR1 is simple, and I really liked it. It was easy to adjust (only preload), and provided lots of fun.

Submitted by Jeff a cross-country rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I Bought the ProFlex 1000 not to long ago and have put about 50 miles on it so far. It uses the Indy S and NR-1 which are both entry level but seem to work well for the money if you aren't jumping off cliffs. I've heard alot of bad things about Noleen and their shocks (NR-2) and so this is really a note to say that the NR-1 works better (in that it works at all) than its follower. Will keep you all updated. 3 chilies for average performance so far.

Submitted by HTmaniac a cross-country rider from Taiwan

Date Reviewed: April 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

Got one on my ATX 990 since the start, 3000 km of muddy wet ride still performing like new, just some creaking noise are anoying from time to time...
Will give it a 4 just beacuse it is heavy (steel shaft) and dampening cannot be tuned. Ah since I was missing 6 words...

Submitted by booty a weekend warrior from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1997

Submitted by Jeff Russo a cross-country rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

Simple and smooth. Satisfying for all conditions.

Submitted by Cris Collier a weekend warrior from Mundaring,Perth

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've only recently started riding after I was getting bored with my horse, I spose it's just not a big thrill to ride it that awkward way any more. I tried the Noleen NR-1's and the soft ride is good for my sore arse.

Submitted by David a weekend warrior from Savannah

Date Reviewed: July 18, 1997

Bottom Line:

Take this review for what it's worth. I have NR-1's on the front the front and rear of my Pro-Flex 756, and I have been extremely pleased with their performance! I can only compare these with the Pro-Flex GDT/MCU shocks (on a 856), Rock Shox Indy's (on a Trek 930SHX, 6500SHX, Caloi, and GT), and a Manitou (on a Joshua XO), and I would have to say that the NR-1s beat them all out. All the other shocks had good attributes for certain types of hits (i.e., small, medium, and big bumps), but the NR-1's ate all of them up with great comfort, feel, and control. There was never any bottoming-out or po-go'ing, and they always remained consistent. Adjusting the NR-1's was simple and their need for maintainence was non-existant. Great Shock, Great Performance, and so far, great durability. I recommend them to anyone, who can find them. They are hard to find because they are a great product. Check them out at Mud, Sweat, & Gears! www.bikeusa.com