K2 Noleen Mega Air Rear Shock Older Rear Shocks

4.09/5 (11 Reviews)
Weight : 285 grams

Here it is, 285 grams...An air sprung, oil damped engineering marvel. The oil circuit control valve initially restricts the shock’s reaction to low range pedaling induced forces, giving the bike the ride of a hardtail. Larger forces activate the oil damping circuits and open their blow-by ports and allow the shock to respond freely to mid range and big hits. The Noleen Mega air pull shock also has “On The Fly Lock Out Control” OTFLOC. With just a flip of the handle bar mounted control lever the shock is locked out to achieve true hardtail efficiency. Even though the shock is locked out it still has “big hit blow by”. One more thing, because it’s a pull shock there is a minimum amount of shaft exposed, which makes it stronger and lighter than it’s standard push shock counterpart.

Submitted by steve johnson a Weekend Warrior from san lorenzo CA usa

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    very adjustable and very durable, and a quick lock out

Bottom Line:
I weigh 240 lbs and have road some very bouncy shocks. but this is the most plush and least damageable by far...I have rioad this for four years and I only have changed the air pressure (because of terrain, takes 45 seconds)if you bust this shock there is some thing wrong with you! by far (way far) air/oil is the only way to go. if you like elastomers, you might as well put sponges in your shoes and shorts.(I think most elastomer lovers have never ridden a motorcycle)

Favorite Trail:   redwood in oakland hills

Purchased At:   castro valley cyclery

Similar Products Used:   rock shox

Bike Setup:   razorback 3.o

Submitted by Ramin a Racer from Niantic,CT,USA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2004

Strengths:    Very good for XC, VERY CONVINEINT LOCKOUT

Weaknesses:    AIR shock, it needs air adjustment for different terrain

Bottom Line:
this is a good XC shock, it would not recomend it for large drop-off's or extreme DH riding

Purchased At:   Clarks Cycles

Similar Products Used:   nothing like it

Bike Setup:   K2 razorbac 3.0

Submitted by Stephen Husbands a Cross Country Rider from Santa Fe NM USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Strengths:    light, simple, allows stiff frame design

Weaknesses:    insufficient rebound damping as delivered

Bottom Line:
In less than three weeks of hard use the shock developed the charicteristic "squishy/creaky" sound of air in the oil. This probably explains why I've tended to run the rebound adjuster at max. & still want more. When I rebuild this or get it fixed I will see about stiffer oil. I found that my old Y2K Razorback never had enough rebound damping either, but it was stolen from me before I got around to changing it.

Favorite Trail:   my trail

Purchased At:   NM Bike & Sport

Similar Products Used:   Noleen coil-over as found on Y2K Razorback

Bike Setup:   2002 Razorback Team

Submitted by Chet a Racer from Vista, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Adjustable, lockout, Light.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
I am impressed with the shock so far. Although my brother has the same bike and has had his fair share of problems as listed in the previous articles. This is an XC performance shock, not meant for hardcore thrashing or heavy riders pushing and surpassing 200lbs (like my brother). Anyway, for me it has been great even if I am one of the few. I would however like to find others that make a similar product to try. But all in all.......I give it 5's. Thanks for the alternative K2 and I look forward to riding 2002/3 K2 rides!

Favorite Trail:   Dailey Ranch

Purchased At:   Frame only from MTB Warehouse

Bike Setup:   2001 Razorback Team, Fully loaded

Submitted by Bobby Bobby from Starksboro,Vt USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    Nicely adjustable dampener. overall performance is good

Weaknesses:    I don't trust it yet. I cary a high pressure pump when I ride. I wouldnt mind another 1/2" or so of travel.

Bottom Line:
I Rented this bike in Moab for 2 weeks. The shock blew out almost immediately and there wasn't another for miles just a pile of like blown ones at a local shop. I had to pump it up every hour or so. I beat the hell out of it anyway and was so pleased with the ride that I bought the bike in hopes that the technology would rally and get it together. I still don't trust that the shock is going to last and am worried about the costumer service which I have heard mixed things about. I definitely cannot go more than a few days withou my bike. So far so good. My 3 flame rating is not due to performance which is great but to my lack of piece of mind.

Favorite Trail:   Snake mountain

Purchased At:   Colorado

Bike Setup:   Razorback team

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Long Beach

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    None,,,This shock is a pile, all the K2 shocks are made in China and they all will leak

Weaknesses:    The company and the customer service sucks

Bottom Line:
The shock failed the first ride and I sent it back to k2. The shock has been at K2 for 9 weeks and they keep giving me the run around. Peter is the only customer service rep and he told me that the are having about a 70% failure rate on the shocks. The bottom line is that this is the second Razorback that I have owened in two years, my 01 cracked twice and the shock blew 4 times. K2 would only fix the shock once and I was forced to pay all the other times, they have the worst cutomer service and you will have the same guy working on snowboards and skates working on your bike.....I should have learned form the first bike, and another thing is every K2 gets bad write-ups in the Mags, be be carefull and do yourself a favor and buy bike from a bike company not a rollorblade company.

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   Fox, Cane Creek

Bike Setup:   02 Razor Back Team

Submitted by Toni Laitinen a Cross Country Rider from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    Light, it works, lockout

Weaknesses:    Doesn´t hold air

Bottom Line:
It´s a pretty good shock, but the only problem with it is that it leaks air. the lockout is great.

Purchased At:   Deltaskate (with a complete)

Similar Products Used:   ??

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback 4.0 with some aftermarket bits

Submitted by Tynes im 12 year old a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Strengths:    Takes away most bumpyness, gives a smothride

Weaknesses:    ha, not made by fox so my friends dont reconize the value of the shock

Bottom Line:
its great i think its works very well and serves its purpuse as a shock absorbor

Favorite Trail:   Jewish comunity center, oak mountain, some great trails in atlanta where the olyempics take place

Purchased At:   Crestline cycles

Bike Setup:   K2 razorback team

Submitted by Trail Boss a Racer from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2000

Strengths:    Smooth, Stiff, Great Climber

Weaknesses:    Slow air leak after about 1200 miles

Bottom Line:
Great performance, curious to see how K2/Noleen deals with my air leak.

Purchased At:   Crestline Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Sid, Noleen NR-2

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback with all the fixings

Submitted by Homeslice Rude a Weekend Warrior from Sactown, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Strengths:    See above

Weaknesses:    See above

Bottom Line:
Well, I took the shock apart, totally apart, and had a bit of a time getting it back together. I did get it to work properly, but with CODA 10wt anti-foaming shock oil (works great). If you rebuild this shock, do not try to use a fork oil less than 7wt. Cavitation is the reason, it will be real squeaky, even with ALL of the air out. Get the Noleen 808 oil if you can, you should probably send the shock in for work, or contact me for instructions. It isn't that bad, and the great customer service from K2 is a big plus (they sent me a complete rebuild kit, minus the shock oil, for free).

With the 10wt. oil, the damping is much more noticeable, but still completely gone when you dial it away.

I was impressed with the internal attention to detail and the ease of service (when I figured it out). Great machining and anodizing in all the right places. Noleen has taken the MacStrut niche and it should keep it. Kudos.

I am still giving the shock 5's, it is getting better and I cannot ask for anything more from my rear suspension. Lockout works great too...

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Gold Country