GTM IN GENERAL Older Rear Shocks

3.69/5 (16 Reviews)

GTM IN GENERAL

Submitted by justin woolley a Downhiller from chester

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    not a bad shock lasted me a while until now. bottomed out about twice.

Weaknesses:    oil leakages,cheap spring mine came 650x1.5 and now the spring has shrunk i was going to buy new spring but just gonna buy a new shock.

Bottom Line:
nice frame,the shock is a bit cheap. i would advise this to a xcer and for light dh but overall its not a bad shock.

Favorite Trail:   Delamere

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   custom giant DS3 mavic 521's,mono m4s,04 z1 wedge.

Submitted by Peter Smith a Downhiller from Wollongong

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2002

Strengths:    cheap as

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
3 bikes bought within 1 week of each other (all Warp DS1's).
All riders different weights and spring rates in shock.
All failed (oil leaking) within 1 month of each other.
Oil leaked and bumpstop got damaged (due to there being not enough oil left).
Giant say it is NOT covered by waranty....BUT the shop we all bought them from replaced one of the rear shocks?
DONT BUY A GIANT WARP - THESE SHOCKS ARE NFG AND GIANT WONT HELP.

Purchased At:   With bike

Bike Setup:   Warp DS1

Submitted by Ambex a Weekend Warrior from Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    So far a very good shock for the money.

Weaknesses:    Bottomed out only once, but when it did was very hardcore. Made a loud metalic screach. Maybee that was because I wiegh in at around 210 pounds and was doing the rollar coaster which is named quite aptly as the g's are high.

Bottom Line:
Great shock! But be warned if you are 200pounds plus and are going to be getting into harder stuff as the summer progresses. Good for beginner.

Favorite Trail:   Geforce, Rollar Coaster, Mini Rollar Coaster

Bike Setup:   DS2

Submitted by Marztar a Weekend Warrior from NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth action, reasonably lightweight and never bottoms out

Weaknesses:    had to get it serviced after 1 month cause it had TOO much dampening but after that it has been sweet

Bottom Line:
if u enjoy mountain biking and u do a bit of downhill then this shock will stand up to it. 4 chillis cause i needed to service it but overall it's sweet

Favorite Trail:   As long as it goes down

Purchased At:   Wagga Cycle Center

Similar Products Used:   first dually

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp DS/1 custom built wiv full LX gear and Mammoth rims, sweet as

Submitted by Justin Amesz a Cross Country Rider from Amersfoort, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Strengths:    Good Shock, good adjustable, still needs no servicing after 2000 km. of hardcore riding

Weaknesses:    makes stranger scratcing noice when compressed

Bottom Line:
Perfect shock for cross country riding! almost possible to block... just turn the rebound knob to fully clossed

Favorite Trail:   .

Purchased At:   cycling store

Similar Products Used:   yhis was my firts fully

Bike Setup:   Giant warp ds 300 frame, manitou magnum R fork, Magura hs 33 brakes, sram esp 9.0, alexrims g3000 rims

Submitted by chris junstee a Cross Country Rider from NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    never bottoms out, and will never let you down

Weaknesses:    sometimes makes noises and i had to fix the oil and stuff(but that was my own fault!)

Bottom Line:
great for a x-country race and a bit of downhill ,excellent for beginers but just watch it on a thrashing!so pros beware.

Favorite Trail:   -

* Oil dampened
* Price
* Never bottoms out

Weaknesses:    * Only available in 750 ibs/in spring rate
* Giant didn't actually make them (I think)

Bottom Line:
Ths shock feels so good, came with a rebound adjuster at this price is unbelieveable.
Very effective rebound adjuster but only comes in
750 ibs/in spring.
Makes strange compressing noise but I think its just oil.

Good shock for $90

Purchased At:   www.bikenow.com.au

Similar Products Used:   DNM DV 6, piece of crap
DNM DV 7
DNM DV 22
Fox Alps

Bike Setup:   Apollo LDX 2.2 (Australian brand) www.apollobikes.com
Sr Suntour DC 7600
Full Shimano Acera drivetrain (piece of crap)

Submitted by Adrian a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Strengths:    Very cheap shock, came with the Warp DS3... knew I was basically buying a frame with free wheels. The frame is sweet on this bike, but the components are so-so.

Weaknesses:    My first GTM 7 rear shock lasted about a year, and 900km. It then started haemmoraging oil all over. Replaced it on warranty, and the new one is making funny noises already after 2 rides. (new shock covered in lizard skin)

Bottom Line:
OK, the bike was cheap, but the GTM 7 is used on all bikes up to the DS1. I expected better performance out of the rear shock. The spring itself is burly, but the damping seals seem easy to blow. I know it's not designed for west coast riding, but I didn't think I was riding that hard. (I'm only ~160 lbs, no big drops). I am impressed with Giant warrantying it, but I doubt they are going to do it again. I guess you get what you pay for, and I am thinking of checking out the Fox line of rear shocks.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Snake @ SFU

Purchased At:   BSP

Bike Setup:   Warp DS3 with 2000 judy SL on front, GTM 7 on rear, wide bars, super short stem, cool stop pads on rear.

Submitted by Joseph a Downhiller from BC

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Strengths:    ZERO maintenance!!! The damping adjustment is quite effective, and it is NOT oozing oil or making noise or any other bad things.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
The plan was to put all my parts from my DS bike to a suspension frame at the least possible cost. I thought that i would use this shock until it packed it in.....but no it has not failed me yet. this has been quite a pleasant surprise. this has also allowed me to put a disc brake on the front. savin me $$$ i like that!!After the fiasco i endured with rockshox product on my other bike i am glad i went with the giant designed GTM unit.

Similar Products Used:   RockShox coupe delux, superdelux, kuster, fox 4r,

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp, Z1 drop off, rhyno light, mostly 96' XTR, riser bar(duh!) kujo tires

Submitted by Ben Wilson a Weekend Warrior from NSW,Australia

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2001

Strengths:    Fairly Decent Shock
Price
Havent found any flaws yet

Weaknesses:    i Dont think it was designed for jumping and that is wwhat i want my bike for

Bottom Line:
its a decent shock but it just isnt good enough for what most riders want it for. i wouldnt personally rush out and buy one but if your short on cash its a fairly cheap shock.

Purchased At:   It came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   None.This is my first Dual Suspension bike ever

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp DS/3 2000 Model

Submitted by Eric Feltzen a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2000

Strengths:    Supremely comfortable and smooth riding.

Weaknesses:    The knob is hard to turn beacuse of the damage that the coil did to it.

Bottom Line:
A nice shock if you are not a total hardcore rider. The shock itself is not a bad product, but rider beware, the ring that holds the dampener can pop and any ride. make sure that the ring is not loose, or you could do some damage to the whole system. If you have problems with the knob, like I did, Don't bother talking to GIANT. They won't do anything. talk to your dealer.

Similar Products Used:   FOX vanilla r.

Bike Setup:   Giant DS/1 2001

Submitted by Will a Weekend Warrior from Brandon FL

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2000

Strengths:    Nice travel, adjustability

Weaknesses:    the rebound dampning knob is extremely hard to turn, and the ring that holds the coil is not secured on

Bottom Line:
This is a nice beginner shock. The only problem ive had with it so far is the coil spring coming off. The ring that keeps it on is only held in place by the spring it self, so it seems that if you loosen the spring to much, then the ring will fall right off. This happened to me the first day i had the bike, and i had to take it back to the shop to get them to put it back on for me. Also when the ring falls off, the only thing to keep the coil from expanding anymore is the rebound dampning knob. I think that when the ring fell off, the coil bent the knob, making it harder to turn.It gets 5 Flamin' Chilis for value because my bike was the cheapest FS ive ever seen, and 4 Chilis overall because of the ring.

Favorite Trail:   Carter Road

Purchased At:   Came with my bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SID

Bike Setup:   2001 Giant Warp DS/3 with Rock Shox SID XC fork

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    Great travel, no problems so far, beats any rear shock without rebound adjustment.
For anyoone who rides for fun and goes a bit crazy once in a while!

Weaknesses:    none, it's been fine for me so far.
Ridden about 1,000km's or more and no problems, it just keeps on working

Bottom Line:
The rear shock does the job for me and i haven't had any problems yet. If you want a good value purposeful shock then you can't go past this the GTM7.
The only problem isn't related to the rear shock but the hopeless discs on my bike, they couldn't haul you down in any hurry. I reckon my rear disc slows me down more than the front. Pretty stupid... Makes me think of going back to V-Brakes, a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to maintain, besides hydraulic discs cost a fortune.

Favorite Trail:   Around Lake Eildon

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla
Some others...

Bike Setup:   2000 Giant DS-1 Warp, pretty much stock standard

Submitted by Greg a Downhiller from Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    cheap, coil over

Weaknesses:    durability, adjustability customer service

Bottom Line:
this is the gtm 7. this shock sucks. when i bought the bike this is pretty much the only thing i didn't swap and i regret it. the ring that holds the coil over spring on the shock (between the spring and the rear suspension urt) came off during a trail ride (its not fastened down at all it just relies on pressure to hold it) and to bad i didn't notice sooner because during the riding the spring went back and did a nasty job on the shock mounts and snapped off the adjuster knob. the adjustability sucked too there wasn't to wide of a range. when i tried to get a replacement ring from giant they told me to talk to my shop which told me to talk to giant. neither of them did anything for me so i got a fox air shock, much better. value only gets a 3 because the thing is one of the cheapest rear shocks before going to department store price.