Cane Creek AD-4 Older Rear Shocks

3.18/5 (22 Reviews)

Cane Creek AD-4 Rear Shock

Submitted by Rafael Waclawik a Weekend Warrior from Poland

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have used this shock for 2 years, and after one year it started loosing air. This sucks, piece of sh.t. Since a year I have to pump it up again every time I want to biking.
Please, give me some advice.

Submitted by paul bloch a Weekend Warrior from bozeman, mt, usa

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2006

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    quick rebound and weak materials

Bottom Line:
The shock was ok for a couple yrs. when it was serviced by a few shops. Then I rode it and hopped over a stump and the shock literally exploaded in half. It is in two pieces, and I have never seen anything do this bofore. I should get an upgrade free.

Favorite Trail:   local hills

Purchased At:   chicago

Bike Setup:   s9-6

Submitted by Dareck a Weekend Warrior from Hillsboro, OH USA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Nice feel and seems to have a relatively long travel on my frame.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes loses some air after sitting for a long period.

Bottom Line:
This shock came on my S9(six).20 when i purchased it new back in 97. In the first year it lost air after sitting on several occasions, but now it seems to have quit doing that.
The shock has a nice feel and has performed very well for 5 years. I think that is pretty good service.

Favorite Trail:   East Fork Lake

Purchased At:   Montgomery cyclery

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S9(six).20

Submitted by tim angert a Cross Country Rider from manheim pa

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Strengths:    user friendly no silly goofy nobs and crap

Weaknesses:    to touchy

Bottom Line:
i don't know what every one is bitc*ing about blowing seels and losing air i've been using it for about 3 years now the only problem that i had was when i let to much air out other than that i've had absolutly no problems so they all just need to be quit i beet the thing to death almost every day jumping it and doing other stupid and crazy stuff

Favorite Trail:   johns cazam of death

Purchased At:   in gear cyclery

Similar Products Used:   fox vanila Rock shox coil over

Bike Setup:   shwinn s9-6 set up to freeride and jump crazy stuff

Submitted by Ron a Cross-Country Rider from wormleysburg pe 17043

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1999

Strengths:
Great customer service very light

Weaknesses:
Don`t use WD40 soaked rag`s to clean the shock .

Bottom Line:
The first couple of month`s I owened the AD4 I had two that were replaced because they leaked.The frist shock leaked a little when I used it,but would go to zero over night.So the cane creek rep said to use it and I switch it for a new one as soon as the dealer got me a replacement,it took less then a week. the second shock did not last long it got worse,there was no charge fo these replacement. Since then,I learned not to use solvent to clean it. I haven`t had any problems. I got a rebuild kit,took the shock apart could find any thing that looked like it should be replaced. So I lubed it with Judy butter,it`s almost as easy as fixing a flat tire.I do that about three times a year. Maybe one of these day`s i`ll open my rebuild kit and see what`s in it.I weigh 195 when I take the bike camping I carry over 40lb`s of gear. Over the period of a month it leak`s no air. This shock has aerved me so well that if it need`s replaced ill go for the AD10.And then agin maybe I won`t wait,This shock goes next to the top of the a little under the
ad10

wyoming state forest pa

more than 3 years

As owner none, although I rode several coil spring shock`s trying to make up my mind.

1995 s30 schwinn

Submitted by adam a Cross-Country Rider from rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1999

Strengths:
customer service

Bottom Line:
I am submitting another review to follow my last. I contacted Cane Creek and I must say, it is a shame that every business outfit doesn't handle their customers as well. I spoke with dave hensly and despite being 2 years past the warantee, he set me up with a fantastic replacement deal. He sent me a brand new AD-10 for $90 and rushed delivery so I could get back to riding quicker. I must say I'll stick with Cane Creek for not only backing their products so well, but for going out of their way to please their customers. Where else can you get that sort of treatment for having a broken part 2 years beyond the warantee?! Nice job Cane Creek, you sold me.

Submitted by adam a Cross-Country Rider from rochester NY

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Strengths:
very light
good job on big hits

Weaknesses:
looses air quickly
very poor rebound
can't deal with little bumps

Bottom Line:
This shock is fine for entry level full suspension, but it just doesn't hold up like other parts. Cane Creek is a great company and it suprises me that they put out the AD-4. I had gradual problems with this shock after about a year of normal use. I am super light (140 lbs) so I only filled it to about 150-170psi. After a 3 hour ride, it would be down to 80 or 90psi. On small hits, it doesn't move much, but on bigger ones, it's long stroke absorbs well. Rebound will really throw folks like me. There is no control in that department, so a good down stroke will hit you with an even better up stroke. On bumpy decents, I often get popped off the saddle when the shock dives at all. Also, the AD-4 suffers from the traditional air shock problem of stiction. It takes a decent hit for a guy my weight to begin compression, so it can seem more harsh than my friend's Fox vanilla. Today my AD-4 popped. I pumped it to about 150psi and I guess it had enough and it totally blew. Dealings with Cane Creek are in the process and I will update a report with their customer service, which I have heard positive things about. This shock is not up to par with many others, but for basic cross country riding, it works well and doesn't dive excessively like some. My advice would be to avoid lower level cane creeks for aftermarket upgrading. Definitely check out the AD-10, that is a really nice shock that seriously rivals the new rock shock SID shocks. If anyone out there has the problem I have just had, call Cane Creek, they will deal with it. 3 stars for very light weight and basic function, but 2 lost for pressure problem and rebound issue.

any trail around pikes peak

Fox coil shocks
Stratos

Schwinn S series, bomber in the front (quite a contrast!)

Submitted by Markku Pöysti a Weekend Warrior from Espoo

Date Reviewed: May 15, 1999

Weaknesses:
Leaks in cold (under -10 C)
Broke compression adjustment plate when using it at 300 psi. After it broke, the small plugged holes at the bottom started to leak.

Bottom Line:
The suspension was designed for SWB model, but can be made to work in LWB too depending on rider weight. Better solution would be different lever ratio in the frame.

1 Year

Vision LWB recumbent with AD-5

Submitted by Stevo a downhiller from Canterbury, England

Date Reviewed: February 2, 1999

Bottom Line:

I got my Cane Creek AD5 after I emptied the oil out of the coil shock that came with my Giant Box one. It's valved for a trek Y bike but it bounces fine. I was a tad pissed when I got it, 'cause it was supposed to come with a pump, so I'm gonna have to shell another 25 quid for one. My only complaints are that it bottoms out too easily, and the bushings that come with it are quite poor.

Submitted by chick a downhiller from st george UTAH

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

My man has one of these cursed AD-4 shocks on his Jamis and damn has it been a ton of trouble. He's had the bike for a year now and is currently on his 3rd shock. For the past 4 months or so, it's been having problems holding the pressure, then last night out riding the slickrock the thing just finally broke completely. What an ordeal . . . loss of the shock caused the crank to practically drag the ground so the bike had to be hiked back home. Have heard Cane Creek will take care of it for a certain amount of money, but hell for all the problems this shock has caused for riders around the world, they should take care of it for free . . . Not a fan of air shocks myself so I won't even bother reviewing the ride it gives (too stiff of a bounce, if that makes any sense), but will say that this simple shock has given me every reason to never even buy an air shock. And I love Cane Creek products, I think they are an excellent company. Good riding. . . .

Submitted by Karkus a weekend warrior from Boulder CO

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

This shock has worked well for me through almost a year of hard riding. I've had no problem with the seals even though I've ridden in many places with mud and fine sand. It's the lightest shock out there and not too expensive. The rebound damping is not adjustable like on the high end AD-8 and AD-10 and I have to pump it up a little every couple of months, but overall it's a fine shock.

Submitted by philip a cross-country rider from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have blown two of these shocks, one I botommed out really hard and one the seals broke. Cane Creek is a good company mabe they were both defective. I give it one star for costomer service, one for bieng a good company, and one because the shocks may have been defective

Submitted by mike a cross-country rider from IA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

GREAT SHOCK NEED I SAY ANY MORE. IF THE PRESSURE IS RIGHT NO PROBLEMS, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING LEAVE IT ALONE. COOULD BE A FIVE BUT IT'S NOT VERY USER FRIENDLY. THE BASIC MECH. SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP THOSE OF US THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND THAT SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THE SHOCKS BLOWING.

Submitted by wendell adams a weekend warrior from rockford, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

My Schwinn .40 came with one and the shock has never held it’s pressure for very long. But after calling Cane Creek I’ll be recieving an upgrade Ad4 (Cane calls it an AD4 1/2). The upgrade has new seals and somee other stuff from newer models. I will review the new install after I get a chance to test it. P.S. Cane Creek has great customer service!!!!!!

Submitted by Bob a weekend warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: March 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

Not bad, I like running VERY High Pressure, so it works similar to a mooshy hardtail. I ride mine mostly Up & downhills so this setup works pretty good for me. Very light. Is affected by temperature changes though, Warm inside,
cold outside(tends to go flat). Fetches the newspaper for me also.