Bike Control Shockster Older Rear Shocks

4.39/5 (18 Reviews)

Bike Control Shockster

Submitted by Sean from Portland Oregon

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2008

Strengths:    Turns a hardtail into a F/S bike - NOT!

Weaknesses:    Adds 3lbs. weight to rear of bike and 3" of wheelbase, resulting in a heavy, sluggish-handling hardtail. Tends to

Bottom Line:
Put this on various steel and alu hardtails at the bike shop and riding them back in the day. On the trail the added weight of the Shockster (all over the rear wheel, btw) radically alters the balance and center of gravity, making climbing a real chore. The longer wheelbase caused by adding the Shockster results in a sluggish steering bike that is a bear on singletrack. Travel I found no where near claimed (3 inches). Full-suspension bikes are so much better balanced, and handle so much better it is a crime to compare them to this thing. The shop carried them for a year, I think we sold one - I think. Originally listed at $329, they were almost giving them away at the end. Zero chilis for this dog of a product.

Similar Products Used:   Real F/S bikes

Bike Setup:   Various hardtail frames

Submitted by Israel a Cross Country Rider from Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2003

Strengths:    easy instlation, great action, super grip

Bottom Line:
I've had my mongoose for a couple of years and I figured why not put it on a mongoose, boy was I surprised what it did!! It actually added 3" more of travel and helped to keep the back wheel firmly seated on the ground, even in winter conditions here in Labrador where it gets down to minus 45 degrees celcius, never did it freeze up in that weather unlike the center shock on the mongoose, Now I want to put it on a 99' Specialized FSR!!! It'll work, bet the boy's at bike controll didn't think you can do that, bolt on shockster to a fully suspended bike, we'll I did, what a ride. Just imangine the picture, better yet imagine the RIDE!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   ALL

Purchased At:   ebay.com

Bike Setup:   99' mongoose pro nx 8.1

Submitted by rob a Cross-Country Rider from IL

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Strengths:
well, it really works great-just like its advertised to

Weaknesses:
flexy in the brake area (fixed by a break booster) and the torque bushings wear out a bit too quick

Bottom Line:
its okay, well worth the 200 beans

PALOS!!!!

less than 1 month

a few fs bikes

an 98 xtr univega (yes those two words go together sometimes)

Submitted by Butthead a Weekend Warrior from Burnaby, B.C.

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1999

Strengths:
Cost
Weight
Effectiveness
Works just like advertised, no marketing lies... Excellent concept
Excellent designWell manufactured/machined.
Good webpage.

Weaknesses:
Lowers the frame a lot when compressed.

Bottom Line:
Where can you get a new fork that weighs 3pounds have 3.5 inches of travel with hydraulic dampening for 199 or less?
Give it 5 stars cause funny how all the shops think it's a hoax because it probably poses a threat to full suspension industry.

Nicoles

3 months

Nothing like shockster before...

Gary Fisher - Big Sur
Rockshox Crappy Indy'97
Shockster
Maguras HS-33

Submitted by Matt Cordes a Cross-Country Rider from Jim Thorpe, PA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I started out racing on the road, so I'm WAY anal about bolting heavy-looking things on my bike. Lacking the bank to spring for a dual-suspension steed, though, I decided to give the Shockster a try. (Don't be intimidated when you open the box - it was easy to install, even for a lame-ass wrench like myself). Jim Thorpe has it's fair share of hills, and while I barely noticed the added weight going UP, this thing really kicked ass coming DOWN. Smoothing out all but the biggest bumps (adjustable dampening would be a bonus), I was truly impressed. I noticed the added length in the wheelbase a tiny bit, but only on the tightest singletrack, and even then I have to admit I was looking for it. Truth is, this thing is well worth the $$ if you're looking for a quick way to improve your technical ability.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Eric saletel a Racer from clarksville, md

Date Reviewed: March 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
A really good way to spend 299 what i paid for it 6 months ago, an even better way to spend 199!!! it works better then my friends LTS team and weighs less also, did i mention PLUSH!?!?!?!?!?!?!? do yourself a favor, go out and pick one up or at least try it

6 months

Submitted by Jeff a weekend warrior from Woodbury, NJ

Date Reviewed: March 12, 1999

Bottom Line:

I work at a shop in town and was intrigued by the Shockster concept. I have to admit I was really skeptical but I was willing to be open-minded and give the Shockster a try. (It was a plus that the boss let me try it for free!) This damned thing works great! Installation took only about 1 hour and wasn't very difficult at all. The instructions are quite clear and the torque settings are a smart idea. I've ridden the Shockster for two months now and have had NO problems other than some top-out when bunning-hopping. It tracks straight and true and actually increases stability when descending. Don't toss your hardtail. Buy the Shockster.

Submitted by big bird a cross-country rider from Connecticut

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

i saw the most recent review and the reviewer said the listed price was incorrect. This is untrue, as Bike Control recently cut the price to $199, from $329. Try to keep the reviews accurate so people aren't misinformed. I do think this is a great idea and i looked at it as a possible alternative to a full suspension, but i decided i would rather go full suspension and spend the extra dough. minus one chili for the weight...Bike Control, if you can halve the weight and maybe subtract some travel to create an XC version... Good riding. Flyin high,Big Bird

Submitted by Aaron Heilbrun a cross-country rider from Chile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

I wrote this because the price listed above is wrong, it's not $199, but $329. I haven't purchased one yet but have been seriously considering it since I saw one about six months ago and now based on the reviews would really like to. I give them four stars because everything sounds great but the price is a tad high, certainly cheaper than a new double bong bike (as everyone else has pointed out) but it's made me think twice. Does anyone know if it will be redesigned soon? Also, you can still pull a trailer with it, right (I'm thinking of the BOB Yak)?
I'll be curious to see how it does because I also use a suspension on my seat (Post Moderne) but it doesn't do what I want it to. Hopefully this will.

Submitted by andrew helfer a cross-country rider from La Grange IL

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

I put the shockster on my kona about six months ago and have not regretted it once. I would say that I am in the 90% of riders who are totally stoked to ride, enjoy performance and comfort, and don't have too many dimes to my name. I had been using a suspension seat post for over a year, it gave me the comfort I needed for long technical rides. But it never offered that true full suspension ride (standing on the down hills was unforgiving) and the elastomers froze up like a rock in the northern winters. I still was looking for more but did not have a chance in hell of getting new $2000+ ride past the wife. The shockster proved to be the answer I was looking for. It delivers with authority. No poggo here, just hammer on the pedals and all the energy goes straight to the trail. The longer wheel base proved to be no problem, unless you are riding the really tight and twisties you will not even notice a difference. The only thing that held me up about the shockster was the apperence, but after one look in the mirror I realilized it was not the ugliest thing on my bike. If you are looking for a full suspension bike and don't have a ton of cash this is a much better choice than a 30+ lbs ride with entery level components. But don't take my word on it, test ride one and find out for yourself.

Submitted by Amanda Croft a weekend warrior from Logan, Utah

Date Reviewed: February 27, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have slammed a lot of dangerous trail in my short life and I can honestly say I have never found a product more thrill-enhancing then the Shockster!! What a rush! All boundaries were deliquesced and a new standard of hardcore mountain biking was reached when I first experimented with this product! I'm from Oregon originally but now i live in utah and on the weekends i make it a compulsive habit to hit moabe and deer valley! Since i have tried the shockster my bike has become a dust machine(as in eat my dust!!) As a rider, i have become more flexible and versatile just because of this awesome addition to my bike! Thank you bike control! Shockster keeps it real... if you know what i mean and I think that you do!!- Amanda Rebecca Croftp.s. I'm a hottie!! =)

Submitted by scott fitzgerald a cross-country rider from Jackson, Wy

Date Reviewed: February 26, 1999

Bottom Line:

After competeing in a number of downhill races, I was disappointed to switch back to my x-country hardtail for everyday trail riding. A friend suggested the shockster, so i gave it a try. WHOA!! Boy did I eat my doubting words. The added downhill performance was sweeeet. And, the fact is the longer wheelbase actually made climbing easier. Go buy/demo one, you won't be disappointed. If the trails of Jackson Hole didn't destroy it, nothing will. Oh yeah, I had some questions about it so I called the guuys at bikecontrol and they were super helpful. keep it real bros.

Submitted by Rich Cleveland a downhiller from Moab, Utah

Date Reviewed: February 11, 1999

Bottom Line:

On first receiving the Shockster, I was skeptical to say the least. So I set out to destroy it on my backyard trail (featured in the Feb. 1999 issue of Bike). Here in the desert, dare I say we have the roughest terrain imaginable. Aside from the lengthened wheelbase, it rode surprisingly well. For a large number of riders, the price, travel and pogo-free action make it a viable option. Don't expect to enter a pro downhill with it, though. I can still remember people cringing when we bolted on the first front suspension forks-they'll probably fear the Shockster, too. Lack of damper adjustability might be a factor, but for most folks between 130-200lbs it's pretty good. I'd mess with the spring rate first. If you are planning a trip to Moab, come and demo one at Moab Cyclery, the #1 bicycle tech shop in the southwest. Later.

Submitted by Tommy (Tough) Guy a downhiller from Hollywood Ca.

Date Reviewed: November 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Whoah!!! This highly technological,fully-active linkage design totally shreds!!!
I am one of roughest most bad-ass riders in the west. I won the expert class at almost every major norba national race in tha country.(Breckenridge, Mammoth, Big Bear) I even went to Mt. St. Anne. I ride an '89 Huffy stalker(custom paint job of course.) with full XTR, a Rok Shok Judy. The only complaint with this system is the fact that when I broke my frame at Mt. Snow(rock garden chute) Huffy wouldnt warranty it( cheap bastards) because they said the Shokster voided the warranty. I give it five because its huffy's fault. Bikeworks, you changed my life

Submitted by Ray Ranne a cross-country rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just wanted to put my two cents worth in. As a Chicago Polie Bike Cop I'm on my bike eight hours a day. I've had my Shockster for almost a year now and its been great. The nice thing about the Shockster is the if you have a hard tail and want to convert it into a full suspension you can and at the same time convert it back. I like the fact that you get NO pogoing when you crank down for example when we chase someone but you still get the full suspension feel when coasting. The Shockster has been an excellent performer considering the way we ride and abuse our bikes day in and day out. The new Shockster design made it more durable then ever and is a proven performer. I highly recomend it for anyone that has a new or nice hardtail and that does'nt want to spend an arm and a leg to purchase a full suspension.