Wellgo WPD M8 Older Pedals

2.13/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 360 grams

• alloy clipless pedal
  • diecasting body,powder coated color
  • sealed and DU bushing bearing
  • Cr-mo axle

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Ivan K a Weekend Warrior from San Bruno, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Very tough, firm grip, easy click-in/out (once you get it dialed), mounts for platform, sleek mounting to crank.

Weaknesses:    hard to mount/remove from crank, tricky to use at first, no spd/other compatibility. CANNOT FIND A PLACE TO BUY THE DAMN PLATFORMS. They make 2 kinds too!

Bottom Line:
    These pedals work fine, I had some SPD's sent out from jenson when I built her 2 years ago and returned em in favor of the Wellgo. So far so good, cause i think everyone falls a lot when your learning clipless, its just how it goes. I would like to be able to run either reg shoes or my northwaves but i dont want to be takin the pedals on/off and strip my cranks, plus they are on there good! I contacted bikeman.com since they carry the new model, which comes with BOTH platforms for $70 but I remember paying a lot less. I may go for the CrankBro MalletC but $100 for pedals is a lot.

Favorite Trail:   ECdM

Purchased At:   www.jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   shimano spd, time, crank bro

Bike Setup:   k2 ozm (carbon), full susp, using northwave mnt shoes

Submitted by gregor a Weekend Warrior from slovenia

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Strengths:    they are cheap so you can throw them away without causing a substantial budget deficit.
    they also become very useful when you get tired of life and want to die on your bike!

Weaknesses:    CRAP! hard to clip in, almost impossible to get out of them. if you perform a jump or two being clipped in you will have to call your neighbours to help you get out of them! even when you loosen them to the very edge you will still have to twist your heel all around to get the slightest chance of unclipping.

Bottom Line:
    they are a complete disaster. spent a whole weekend trying to adjust them, figured out it's impossible. what is more, they came incorrectly assembled on the bike: the right one on the left side and the left one on the right side!

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   VT, shimano

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Marin County, Calif, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Strengths:    They look great!

Weaknesses:    Absolute Crap, they never worked smoothly! Hard to find clip in point, hard to release. Extra cleats not readily available. Not spd compatable..so you need extra shoes if you have different pedals on another bike.

Bottom Line:
    These pedals (to me) are junk. I was never able to use them from day one. Transferred the cleats to different shoes with no success. Tried shimming. Even shaved the soles just in case it was a clearance problem. Wound up complaining to my LBS and he laughed. He said I have a box of 'em already. So..for now I am using an old set of clip style pedals. Giving it a two just because they look expensive..LOL.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   Included with bike/LBS

Similar Products Used:   shimano 515, 324, ritchy and time

Bike Setup:   Shimano wheelset, LX/LX/XT, Tru Vativ, Manitou Mars Elite/rock shox sid xc, WTB tires, full suspension,Koski brake light, Thompson post.. Diamondback XSL pro.

Submitted by mel macgregor from kapolei

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    the price..light weight,solid,easy to get in and out.easy to maintain..mud proof

Weaknesses:    none...have no idea why are these reviewers are so negative towards this awesome product..are you guys really true clipless riders?

Bottom Line:
    i'd tried different types of clipless pedals these wellgos wpd m8 is as good or better than the one i mention above.did i mention value....

Favorite Trail:   makakill

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   onza,747spds,525,bebop

Bike Setup:   manitou hardtail,rock shox duke race,xtr drivetrain

Submitted by Clinton a Cross Country Rider from Provo, UT

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Snapped the first day I used them.

Bottom Line:
    They were working beautifully, as I tried out my new bike until I couldn't get out. I twisted, but it was impossible. Eventually I twisted my heel to the point the casing broke sending the springs flying and leaving me crying. Talk about a let down.

Bike Setup:   Diamondback XSL Race

Submitted by Brent a Weekend Warrior from Dayton

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Hopefully someone will buy them from me

Bottom Line:
    I fear these pedals. It seems to be possible to partially click into these pedals and be able to pull up hard and not unclip. However, all they do is bind if you move your heel outside, inside, anything. I'd sooner ride in clips.

Purchased At:   Stock on DB Podium

Similar Products Used:   Big S, Look

Bike Setup:   '01 Diamondback Podium

Submitted by Lauren Wise a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Very hard to click into. Spring plate screws backed themselves out. Have to use non-standard cleat.

Bottom Line:
    These came stock on my Diamondback XSL Pro. I took them off within a week...they were impossible to get into and I have been using clipless petals for 3 years or so. No matter how loose I got them I still had to find the perfect spot in order to get into them. That coupled with the lack of SPD cleat support made me change them out.

Purchased At:   OMP

Submitted by Gregory Stewart a Weekend Warrior from Schenectady,NY 12308

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Strengths:    lightweight

Weaknesses:    tough to click into

Bottom Line:
    I'm such a novice it's not funny, but I rely on these reviews for upgrades on my bike, and since I just replaced these with Weyless Magnesium "regular, old school platform type" I figured we better have at least one review for these.

I switched to regular pedals because I got sick of spending 1/3 of my day trying to find the right spot to click in. I've been skiing for over 10 years so I'm not new to bindings.

After I get used to just riding my bike, I'd like to try those Crankbrothers egg-beaters.

Maybe they just need adjusting, but I got too frustrated with them.

I repeat, I am a moron so don't listen to me.

Favorite Trail:   Grafton -fire rd