Wellgo 96F Older Pedals

3.41/5 (22 Reviews)

Wellgo 96F Pedals

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Spokane

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Strengths:    Very durable. I have yet to disassemble them and grease them, no need to. After 3 years of use they still work fine.

Bottom Line:
96F's work a little better than the 96A's. Don't know why.
They look nice, work well and don't weigh alot. A little WD-40 on the springs before a ride, and an occasional cleaning is all that I have done for upkeep in over 2000 miles.I couldn't be happier with a set of pedals.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Wellgo 700's on my hardtail. 4+years of trouble-free use.
Wellgo 96A's on my road bike, just to piss the roadies off.

Submitted by JIM a Cross Country Rider from LOS ANGELES

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2000

Strengths:    LOW PRICE, NICE FINISH, EASY IN AND OUT

Weaknesses:    DIDN'T LAST VERY LONG, NOISY

Bottom Line:
BEFORE I BOUGHT THESE PEDALS I WAS USING TOECLIPS AND STRAPS. THE TOE CLIPS AND STRAPS WERE RELIABLE FOR 9 YEARS AND ALLOWED ME TO TRAIN ON MY BIKE AND USE IT TO CRUISE DOWN TO THE STORE WITHOUT CLEATS. I LIKED THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CLIPLESS PEDALS BUT THEY REQUIRED OILING EVERY RIDE TO KEEP THE CLEATS FROM SQUEAKING. I TRACKED THE SQUEAKING TO THE SCREWS WHICH HELD THE MECHANISM TO THE BODY WHICH BECAME LOOSE. I COULDN'T GET THEM TO STAY TIGHT. I EVEN TRIED RED LOCTITE ON THEM AND THEY STILL GOT LOOSE.

I BOUGHT A NEW MTB, PUT TIME ATACS ON IT AND PUT MY OLD TOE CLIPS AND STRAPS BACK ON THE FISHER. THE WELLGOS WERE GOOD FOR THE $25 THAT I PAID FOR THEM BUT THEY DON'T COMPARE TO THE ATACS.

Similar Products Used:   TIME ATAC

2 Years

Marin Mourwoods, Manitouw

Submitted by Dave Rahbany a Cross-Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1999

Strengths:
None whatsoever!

Weaknesses:
Very difficult to clip-in, too easy to clip out, ugly, heavy for their size, will piss-off the rider to no end.

Bottom Line:
Do not consider purchasing these pedals, even for your worst enimy - nobody should be that cruel.NOT WORTH THE SINGLE FLAMING RAT RATING I GIVE IT!

Ho Chi Mihn

Wellgo 800
Shimano 535, 747

Fat Chance Wicked
RockShox Mag21
XT Cranks

Submitted by Silent BoB a Cross-Country Rider from Way Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Cheep ($20-$30)
It works like it should
Very clean threads
Servicible Bearing (see Below)

Weaknesses:
Grease (See below)
Stupid plastic bushing

Bottom Line:
Works well as a clipless pedal.The stock grease that they use in the is horrible (smells funny too). The grease shold be replaced with some better grase.The springs were greased with thisa nasty sticky grease that packed right up with sand and dirt and actually made it impossible to unclip. Get the greas out of there an replace it with white lightning. Still clogs up because of the stuff I ride it through Very thick sticky clay mud that we have tuns of up here. But this stuff makes ATAC's clog so I dont hold the pedal responsible.Good pedal for the mony after the matnence you must do on it to get it to work.P.S. If you want to service the bearing you can get the sheild off the bearing by taking a needle and rinning along the gruve along the outside edge you will fing that there is a metal retaing ring holding the shild on pry it out with the nedle and procede to remove the shield exposing the caged bearings wich sould make it much easer to clean.

Others on frends bikes

Proflex 854 With
Shimano DX, XTR canti levers with V brakes, two diffrent crank arms, '95 Girven Vector Fork

Submitted by Nick a Cross-Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought 96As, supposedly clone to 747s, from SuperGo. At a third of the cost of the 747s, these pedals are GREAT! I clip in with 99 Answer Accelerators, and it is a match made in heaven. I have no trouble clipping in or out. It's easy to adjust tension, plus I didn't have to cut the shoes. I certainly recommend these pedals for ease of use and price.

Submitted by Eric a racer from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought these pedals because they were cheap and so far think they have performed okay. Just okay though. I was using 535's before these and feel like I have to try really hard to find the entry point. But once I find it I can clip in okay. My first race with these was really muddy and I was actually clipping in while other people I talked to couldn't clip in at all. Have to be taken care of to work properly though. We'll see if they hold up.l

Submitted by Ruben Henriquez a cross-country rider from Venezuela

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Yo tengo unos , son estupendos, me cai como un tonto en dos oportunidades en los primeros meses, actualmente ni me doy cuenta que los uso , son una maravilla y en otras palabras me he acostumbrado a ellos, no tengo problemas con el sucio si estan bien engrasados. se los recomiendo y son mas economicos que un spd 747. si estos son mejores agamelo saber

Submitted by Doug a downhiller from Arizona

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

After reading the problems with the pedals, sounds like installation problems, maintenance problems or something like that. They should work just fine, they take a beating, and if you have some kind of a problem with clipping out, get bigger legs or file down the cleat. It's not a space ship, it's just a damned receptacle for your foot. Get a more elaborate pedal that has had finite element analysis done on it, if you can afford it, but you'll still get passed on the trail. Nothing wrong with them.

Submitted by G a cross-country rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: May 1, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got these a couple of years ago when my 737s go stolen, along with my bike. The price seemed right at the time. They are decent pedals on the whole, but there are now much better deals out there. For those on a budget, I recommend the Nashbars. Cheaper, made by the same company, and with the updated dual-tension release design. I just broke a spindle my girvin mag ti, so the 96Fs will have to go back on until I can replace with something better. Oh yeah, the 96Fs are pretty small, which hurts the feet unless you have very stiff shoes. Also, the entry and release is much harder than is preferable.

Submitted by Stuart Winter a racer from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

These pedals aren't that hot. The coloured coating began to chip of almost straight away. The bolts that hold the plates in place would not stay put, even with regular loctite applications. After just under a year, the right pedal stopped releasing outwards and the left became really sloppy.I'll admit that I bashed them on rocks and stuff on a regular basis, but the yellow coating would wear off from where I twist my shoe. I cleaned them on a regular basis, and lubed the springs etc. but eventulally no ammount of work would save them.I've since upgraded to a pair of Shimano 747s. The difference is immediately noticeable - well worth the extra $$$'s. I've had the 747's for 2 months now and I havent's touched them (as far as maintanence is concerned) and they still work better than the Wellgos ever did.For the money, they're not a bad pedal. But don't expect them to last too long.
Bonus tip: Buy the plain silver ones.

Submitted by Tim Downs a cross-country rider from Ontario

Date Reviewed: February 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is an over all good pedal. But it is a little heavy. I find that this
product is well worth the money paid. I recommend for any cross-country riders
or for recreational use. It gives quick response time with easy access and
disingagement. To find out more about this product, consult DAVE or go to
www.wellgo.com.tw

Submitted by Jay a racer from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1997

Bottom Line:

i have been a cross country racer for 7 years now, and now am in the expert class of norba, and planning to move to pro this summer, so i have seen plenty of good and bad pedals. these are the greatest pedals that i have ever ridden on. i have ridden the 747, Onza, speedplay, and this pedal is half as expensive as all of them, and easily outperforms them all also. this thing even kicks ass in the mud. and for those of you that are color freaks, the yellow on these pedals looks great with a SL and some red anodonized parts :)
L8TRZ

Submitted by keivn a weekend warrior from vancouver canada

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

i bought a pair of welgo's about a month ago and they worked great until the mud said hello. Right now i am going out to buy a different pair of pedals completely as these ones broke while i was climbing up a big hill. The clipping mechanism came right of the peddle! Mind you what can you expect for $50 canadian?

Submitted by Doug Landers a weekend warrior from Los Alamos, NM

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1997

Bottom Line:

No gripe. Good price. Work well when adjusted properly. Of course they don't work well in mud, but what else does? Nothing is invincible to mud clogs, so wipe 'em out and ride. If you don't fall often, they don't get that muddy. Best quality for the price.