Wellgo 804 Older Pedals

3.79/5 (19 Reviews)

Wellgo 804

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from BC

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Strengths:    Strong

Weaknesses:    Too hard to unclip and slippery when wet

Bottom Line:
These pedals are unsafe in all conditions because they are hard to unclip which will cause injury. They will not hold your feet when wet with flat shoes, your feet just slide off the pedals.

***There are better pedals than these for the same price***

Favorite Trail:   The Dump

Purchased At:   Came on Bike

Similar Products Used:   crappy flat pedals on old bike were better

Bike Setup:   Brodie evolution

Submitted by Mad Dog a Cross Country Rider from B-More Maryland U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    Big huge platforms make it easy for clumsy feet to mash down and keep pedaling if you've missed the clip in point.

Weaknesses:    These pedals are like pitbulls. Once their teeth engage, they will not release until you have beaten them to death.
Seriously, I was injured twice because I couldn't unclip. The second time, they couldn't unclip me after I had fallen, so when I came out of the hospital, I found my shoe still dangling from the pedal (it took three men a hammer and a pry bar). Why on earth did I keep and use them so long? I'm cheap, and poor. Besides the hammer and pry bar really loosened the cage. After that, we repeated the exercise on the right pedal and though I constantly release when pulling up, I ALWAYS clip out when I need to. I have upgraded to new WTB Stealth pedals and am much happier

Bottom Line:
I hate these pedals. I have photos to show why I hate these pedals. I would never purchase a Wellgo pedal.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Avalon

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, WTB, Time, Other Wellgo's

Bike Setup:   Y-glide

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Flemington, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Strengths:    Affordable, durable, good for persistent SPD-novices

Weaknesses:    Heavy, somewhat tough release & entry, less than grippy platform

Bottom Line:
I bought these for my Dad's FSR at Supergo and at the same time I bought a pair for my wife's hardtail. After my wife's first clipped-in crash, she switched to tennis shoes, and promptly demanded her old platform pedals back, complaining about the slippery cage and pressure points from the protruding SPD mechanisms.
Dad didn't complain -- and now burns up the Ojai backcountry (i.e. these things don't see mud) clipped in.
The second pair landed on my brother's old-school Bridgestone (with Flexstem!). I ride both bikes when on west coast, and in comparison with most other clipless designs I've ridden, both pair have remained rather stiff on exit/entry -- both with my Shimano shoes and Dad's Specializeds.
Bottom line: set the release tension low, keep 'em lubed and you'll do fine.

Favorite Trail:   Tequepis, Santa Barbara

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 535, 747, Ritchey WCS, Ritchey V-2, Ritchey LOgic Pro

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by Cary a Cross Country Rider from Great Falls, Va. USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    take a beating like an ugly stepchild. Good value

Weaknesses:    screws creeping out after 2 years, weighty if you are XC and not DH.

Bottom Line:
These were my first spd's. They clip in fine, except in mud and release ok. Need lube regularly to keep them smooth.

I'll be getting 747 next year. I've ridding them pretty hard for about 2 years. People usually don't ride pedals like this one for very long as they are entry level or for downhill. Downhillers usually don't last that long because they eventually get hurt pretty bad or get tired clawing their way up the hills. ;) Sorry.

So these are ok pushers and after putting my time in on them I deserve an upgrade. They'll be a hand-me-down for my wife.

Favorite Trail:   billy-goat near lake ann

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Metal bike frame, 2 wheels, two pedals and a chain. oh, yeah, a seat too.

Submitted by Stinkfoot a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1999

Strengths:
Tough, cheap, clips in and out at will (almost)

Weaknesses:
Slippery platform

Bottom Line:
These are the first clipless pedals I've used and I'm hooked! They clip in and out easily most of the time, although I still take many slams because of waiting too long before trying to bail out. I like the platforms, they're great on technical sections when I need to dab. The only problem is that the platforms are really slippery if you are going fast over bumps or they are wet. I give these pedals 5 chilis for performance and price but subtract 1 for the slippery platforms.

6 months

Platforms of many types

Kona Lava Dome, Marzocchi z5

Submitted by Cary a Racer from Great Falls, Va

Date Reviewed: August 25, 1999

Strengths:
price, adjustable, performance

Weaknesses:
cage is a little bulky, weight. The bright red keeps causeing people to pull over when I pull up behind them. Also, they hurt if you land on them with your face.

Bottom Line:
Good performance for the money. If it's too heavy for you, lose a pound yourself.

M. Faraday, Reston.

3 months

clips.

GT w/Marzocchi Z2

Submitted by Dan a Cross-Country Rider from Akron,OH

Date Reviewed: July 26, 1999

Strengths:
Very easy to clip into, still working on clipping out quickly, I got them in Red and the look cool

Weaknesses:
I guess they're heavy but I haven't been able to feel the difference. The platforms are slippery.

Bottom Line:
I love them I can clear logs without that impossible endo thing. Also I love how you can accelerate up those steep hills, they're a hell of a lot better than toe clips. I learned how to clip in the first hour I tried them. I don't quite have the clipping out thing down, I almost killed myself falling down ten feet in my side the other day. The only bad thing about them is that the platforms aren't real grippy

The Dump

toeclips

GT Backwoods, Jett XC, cool new rims

Submitted by Andrew Reynoldson a Weekend Warrior from Whitby, North Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to clip in and out, still some grip when not clipped in properly.

Weaknesses:
Too uncomfortable for flat shoes.

Bottom Line:
Easy to clip in and out, work with Shimano cleats as well as the supplied ones.

Dalby Forest

less than 1 month

Those single sided shimano spd's.

Giant Box Two

Submitted by Kevin a Cross-Country Rider from Church Hill, TN

Date Reviewed: May 31, 1999

Strengths:
Great price, easy to get in and out of.

Weaknesses:
None yet.

Bottom Line:
Great for commuters; large platform makes traffic light stops a lot less hassle. Also seem to do well in muddy conditions. A great deal at $29 from Supergo. Used them right out of the box with no adjustments.

Submitted by Rick a Cross-Country Rider from Torrance, CA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap
Large Platform

Weaknesses:
None as of yet

Bottom Line:
I just bought these pedals from Supergo for $29 and they work great; just making the switch to SPD it took time to get in, but I can get out very very easy; and have yet to fall. The large platform is great for cruising without SPD shoes; and did I mention they are cheap!! 5 chillis for now.

Palos Verdes Del Cerro Park

toe-clips

C'dale F300

Submitted by Adam a Cross-Country Rider from Nelson, B.C.

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1999

Strengths:
Very good entry and releases
Does not jam in ANYTHING so long for TIME ATAC!!!!

Weaknesses:
hmmmmmmmmmm........ let me think...
ummmmm..... GRRRRRRRRR......
(*THINKING*) ....... dead..... brain....stupid question.....no......weaknesses

Bottom Line:
These pedals kick ass so go out and get them!!!! Oh by the way, could u get me a pie 2?

alien head

3 months

Some Shimano pedals.

GT free (falling.....) ride bike. Hey I am a rigid freerider!!!!!

Submitted by steve a weekend warrior from tasmania, oz

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

these were my first clipless pedals and they are excellent. had them for about 4 months and they still clip in and out really well. be good if they had the teeth like 636s for when you're not clipped in, especially with hard soled shoes but for the money they are great.

Submitted by Ron a weekend warrior from Vestavia Alabama

Date Reviewed: October 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

Wellgo 804 Pedals: I have used Wellgo 804's for about 6 weeks, my first
SPD Pedals.I had very little difficulty in learning to clip in-clip out
They are somewhat slippery when wet due to the low platform. Well worth the
price. I ride off road as well as road, due to a recent heart attack. My
doctors suggested biking however now they think I have gone overboard
with my enthusiasm.

Submitted by Sherman a weekend warrior from British Columbia, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got these and tried em out on my XC bike. I didn't really like em too much on there because of the weight. I ended up putting them on my commuter. They are good pedals for the price but I don't think that they compare to other DH pedals on the market. The platform is slippery when wet because it lacks teeth or pins to keep your feet on them. So they are not very good for pedalling without being clipped in. I also found them hard to take apart and get to the bearings. Actually I didn't even get to them because I could not get a socket to fit in the hole properly. It has the great Wellgo release system that gets you out whenever you need to get out.

Submitted by Darrell a cross-country rider from Round Mountain, NV

Date Reviewed: August 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

These pedals are great. They're basically Shimano 636 clones but they are just as easy to get in and out of and cost a lot less. I really like the platforms that let me pedal with ease on technical sections without being clipped in, although I rarely ride unclipped because no matter how fast I need to get out of these pedals, I've never had a problem. My brother unclipped from his in world record time when riding over a rattlesnake on the trail. I recommend these to everyone.