Victor VP101 Pedal Older Pedals

3.19/5 (43 Reviews)

Victor VP101

Submitted by Gary a Cross Country Rider from Oneida, TN, United States

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2004

Strengths:    Work well for light to moderate trail riding. Also inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Sticks & binds sometimes. Needs work. Not a good choice for racing.

Bottom Line:
Not best pedal out there, but not the worst I've had either. I would not suggest going out & spending $50 for them in a shop. Also not suggested for hardcore riders. If your not sure about them or new to clipless, try to find a good deal. I found a NEW pair, still in the box, on E-bay for $6.00 & have got more then my money out of them. These won't last as long as a Shimano (or work as reliably), but you can find them cheap & they really aren't bad. They are a pain sometimes; literaly, but work fine for weekend rides. If you want race or superior quality though; go for Shimano 747's. That's what I have on my other mountain bike.

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Deore & Bontrager.

Submitted by Ted a Weekend Warrior from Massachusetts, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    Hay Todd Kasson I have some VP101 cleats(new). If you want them email me. I want $15.00. Theoted14@aol.com

Bottom Line:
I got them along with a bunch of components that I baught.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2002

Strengths:    VP 103
Easy to clip in and out, light,they stay nice and shiny easily.. also is not too bad with mud.

Weaknesses:    I broke them twice, i kept on stripping the thread of the pedal attaching the plate to the body. for some reason the people from VP decided to put two screws on either side of the cleat plate to hold it on, where you should have 2 long bolts holding both cleat plates to the body so that there is not as much force ont he screws and to make it easier to fix once broken.

Bottom Line:
they are not bad, but could be easily made better. i keep on stripping the thread on the screwes and once i can find a bolt exacly the right length and shape to bolt on both cleat plates at once i will definily use that to make sure the thread doesnt strip as easily.

Purchased At:   Cycle Science GW

Similar Products Used:   nil

Bike Setup:   Norco with judys and f disc

Submitted by Todd Kasson a Racer from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Strengths:    Never broken in 11 years, and only dissasembled them one time. Have had no problems putting them together. Would recommend them to anyone.

Bottom Line:
Have used these pedals for 11 years and never had a problem. They have been used on three different bikes now and the only reason I have thought about switching is because my shoes have worn out. All I need are some new cleats but am having trouble finding them.

Purchased At:   The Bike Factory

Similar Products Used:   SPD

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Cannondale 400 Road

Submitted by clive a Weekend Warrior from melbourne

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2001

Strengths:    tough and rustproof, who cares if they get dirty, oiled them once, were on a second hand bike from a lardarse racer who had them 2 years before!

Weaknesses:    float is minimal and adjustment imprecise

Bottom Line:
Not having clip ins before I do not have much to compare with, however with a little practice the clip in on route is second nature and I,ve never clipped out when I dont want to. A couple of horizontal track stands were experienced in the early days, but I expect to be using them for a year or two more at least!

Bike Setup:   wheeler 7000 series with shimano lace up general purpose mtb shoes.

Submitted by Michael Restivo a Racer from Lemoore, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2000

Strengths:    The VP101 Pedals are a really good pedal. The help you get out of the gate faster and you can clip in the things easy and they are really strong.

Weaknesses:    The 101's cleats get really worn down easy! DO NOT TAKE OUT THE TENSION SCREW. You can get it back in but its really hard. Took me two hours! And the springs dont give much play it's either hard or easy no medium.

Bottom Line:
The Bottom Line is if you want a cheaply priced pedal and good quality get the VP 101. If you have any questions email about the VP101s, I learned alot about them, the hard way.

Favorite Trail:   Lemoore BMX

Purchased At:   WebSite

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 747

Bike Setup:   Free Agent frame and wheels, Answer Carbo Forks, FSA 3pc Cranks, VP101 Clipless pedals.

Submitted by Joe Byrnes a Racer from Bethesda, Md.

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Strengths:    There was nothing good about the VP106 pedals.

Weaknesses:    They were the worst pedals I have ever used. They were hard to get into, and even harder to get out of.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is these pedals suck. They are the worst pedals I have ever used. They are cheap, and fragil. I had only used them about a dozen times before I went to the 24 hours of Snowshoe, where they both ended up breaking on the first lap. Luckily I was able to borrow an old set of shimano's for the rest of the race. I have since replaced them with Shimano 747's. I am so glad to be rid of those damn things, and I would never use them again, if they were given to me.

Favorite Trail:   Gambrill State Park

Similar Products Used:   Shimano 535, shimano 737, shimano 747, and some other Ritchy's.

Bike Setup:   Team Marin

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    HA!!!! NONE!!!
Well, maybe a cool logo.. not really

Weaknesses:    Everything

Bottom Line:
These pedals came as a "free pedal upgrade" with the bike. So basically they were free... and I still feel like I wasted my money! There pedals suck. Getting in is an act of Congress, getting out an act of God. For the amount of money people have to pay for these things, they should be at least usable. The only thing I can use them for is scraping off any unwanted skin off my shins. I have fallen numerous times as I come to a stop and just can't get out.

I beleive these are the worst pedals ever made. Don't even think of riding them in the mud, up a hill, down a hill, or even on the road.

Buy yourself a set of Time ATAC and actually enjoy riding. It is worth the money. If nothing else than to save your body.

I can't rate these low enough.

Similar Products Used:   515's
Time ATAC

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vertex

Submitted by No shin a racer from Bloody

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased these because I assumed it was a great deal ( like $40.) little did I know I just purchased the antiChrist of pedals. I'm a very skilled rider & sport racer and a veteran with clipless Onza,Richey,Wellgo and ALL SPD 535,737&747. These VP are almost comical except for the gashes on my shins and rear of my legs from coming out at the worst times. According to my peers who have seen the horror. Adjustment is a joke ! They are cranked down 110% I still pop out. I thought it was the cleat so I bought new ones. no help. Getting in is a well executed skill or they hang up half up.look very stupid at a stop light. still trying - I then changed shoes.
These are Evil like the fruits of the Devil. VP is Very Painful. I have retired them to the famous box of used, Broke, abused, crapie, bike parts. RIP in peace VP I tried. I have been since Saved by the Shimano God and bleesed with new 747s.
Thau shalt not clip out before its time.

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from Pa,USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

for the VP 103 that dont have a page yet:......
Got these OE on my FSR Extreme. Assumed theyd be a cheap n'cheesey copy of
the shimano 636. Actually rode them, and clipping in is near-telepathic! I
rode 535s for a year, ritcheys for 18 months, and on my second ride with
these I was clipping in faster and more consistently! I think that for these
DH style pedals, the tread of the shoe is critical to the performance of the
whole set up-if the tread is too deep the cleat will have a hard time finding
the clip. I wear Diadora Chilis (4 1/2 chilis), and these work perfectly
together.Cant comment on durability, but these are going onto my Litespeed in my next
XC race. I'll suffer an extra 300g weight if it means I clip in when I need
to. (4 chilis cos I havent had em long enough to test durability)

Submitted by Rob a racer from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had these pedals for a year and a half now. They were my first pair of clipless. I have had no problems with them so far. I rarly lube or cleam them and they still do fine. I have put well over 2500 miles on them. I find that they are ok in mud. If it is sticky, you may have probs. In the last race i was in, the place got flooded and it was horrible. My brake pads wore out and i had no brakes on the second lap! My rear brake just locked up! I never had any problem getting in or out of the pedals. The mud was really wet and not like in globs though.
I once rode a sticky trail with a friend who had 747's and we both went back to the bike wash to clean out pedals after the first section! I really think they are about par with shimano and ritchey but they are much lighter than shimano. However, all of these comments kinda scare me!
The only probs i have had with them are that when i first started riding i had the cleats as loose i they would go; that caused one of the tension screws to fall out. It is hard to rebuild them because the plate screws will strip easly and are hard to get off. But it is simple once you get past that. I have notice some scratching noise in the berings after that last race but they turn fine and no sign of any kind of stiction. They also have lots of resistance when they are new; I know it cant hurt much, but when doing long endurance races everything matters.

Submitted by jamie l a racer from nova scotia

Date Reviewed: November 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I had these pedals for 4 months and they are pretty good. I used to come out in the air off jumps but I put the tension down all the way and they are fine now. They work alright in the mud. but some times they just dont work. They are light 320 grams and have 4 degres of float. The only thing I hate is when you hit one on a rock and fold down the binding. then you have to rebuild it. they are cheap to 80$ canadian

Submitted by Andy Barnes a cross-country rider from Aberdeen, Scotland

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have been riding with clipless pedals since 1993. First I had some Shimano XTs which were reliable and easy to use. Then I bought a Mount Vision this spring which came with VP103s. These are the worst pedals I have ever ridden. Clipping in is an art and requires a load of precision, get it wrong and the cleat becomes tangled in the mechanism which can lead to humiliating (but amusing) comedy stops at traffic lights. Furthermore, once the cleat is engaged properly it has a nasty habit of disengaging in the sprint - can be painful - even when you have the pedal cranked up as tight as it will go. Also the small footprint makes them a bit uncomfortable on long rides. I got shot of them a couple of months back for some Time Atacs - the best thing I ever did. If I could rate these zero chillies I would.

Submitted by Alasdair Leng a weekend warrior from Devon, UK.

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have ridden with Clipless pedals for 18 months, first on Shimano 535's then on VP104's. The VP is the better and considerably cheaper pedal. That said I have bought a pair of VP beartrap pedals because I find that clipless pedals just do not release reliably although the VP's are no diffrent to the 535's. Don't buy clipless unless you race, never ride in mud or technical (dangerous) trails.

Submitted by Toby Whitley a cross-country rider from England

Date Reviewed: May 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I think these pedals are very good, they came with my Quake 5 and are the VP103s. Now I am used to them they are great step on step off, step on step off, hit something, pop out. I have found that when I lift the bike using the pedals I pop one foot out sometimes but this is because I twist my foot slightly. Solution stop twisting my foot also my brother tells me (and I think he's right (grudgingly)) that you can lift the hole bike using just the handle bars. The design is not mud proof but O.K.